Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Female suffrage comes forty years earlier than OTL. I love this TL!!!!

I am glad that you are enjoying it - yes, this USA is quite a bit more liberal and progressive than OTL's version, though in a good way.;)

However, it still has its issues as well....

The sound of blues and jazz comes in a large part from the surplus instruments blacks could afforde after the otl civil war. Removed that and you get a different sound.

Glen

I see that the United States is more progressive in TTL. Very cool and very original. Makes me wonder what else they'll accomplish first.

Now that is a good question!

Oh, and thank you for your kind words regarding the timeline.

Glen

The State of Jacques was admitted to the Union in 1874. The state was named after the Jacques River that ran through the center of the state. The Missouri River comprises the state's southern and western border, with the watershed between the Missouri and rivers emptying into Lake Winnipeg making up its northern border, and its eastern border being the red River of the North and the Big Souix.

DSA US State of Jacques.png

Overall, this World seems to be heading down a better path...well besides the rampant colonialism and militarism... beyond that, I can't wait until the modern day, a hopefully more advanced modern day.

A most interesting state shape and name. Why 'Jacques' and not 'James (-land/-ia)?' Or 'Dakota?'

It also would probably never be very populous, but that's just my wager based on what little I know of the area...

The State of Jacques was admitted to the Union in 1874. The state was named after the Jacques River that ran through the center of the state. The Missouri River comprises the state's southern and western border, with the watershed between the Missouri and rivers emptying into Lake Winnipeg making up its northern border, and its eastern border being the red River of the North and the Big Souix.

Woo-hoo, a new state - and one which the design and name that I did not see coming! What part of the Dakota's makes up Jacques?

Glen

The sound of blues and jazz comes in a large part from the surplus instruments blacks could afforde after the otl civil war. Removed that and you get a different sound.

That's an interesting thought, however I would note that that would probably be the same class of instruments that African Americans in the DSA post Slaver Uprising could get as well - while the costs are probably a bit higher, so too are the wages of most blacks ITTL - I'd say the overall effect is a wash.

Glen

On the Centennial of the United States, two more states were admitted to the Union, on the Pacific Northwest. The MacKenzie Territory had toyed with the idea of statehood since the gold rushes of the 1850s, but tensions between Grey Islanders and the rest of the territory had as often as not derailed previous moves towards statehood. Therefore, even though their populations technically were too low for the requirement of statehood separately, Congress turned a blind eye and admitted Grey Island and MacKenzie as two states. This also was part of a series of political compromises in that year betwen the Democrats and Federalists that also brought Federal Women's Suffrage into being. The State of Grey Island was self contained on the self-named island. The borders of the State of MacKenzie included the 54th parallel to the north, the Continental Divide to the west, the 48th parallel to the south, and the Straits and Pacific Ocean to the East. MacKenzie also includes the Washington Isles.

DSA MacKenzie Grey.png

Last edited:
On the Centennial of the United States, two more states were admitted to the Union, on the Pacific Northwest. The MacKenzie Territory had toyed with the idea of statehood since the gold rushes of the 1850s, but tensions between Grey Islanders and the rest of the territory had as often as not derailed previous moves towards statehood. Therefore, even though their populations technically were too low for the requirement of statehood separately, Congress turned a blind eye and admitted Grey Island and MacKenzie as two states. This also was part of a series of political compromises in that year betwen the Democrats and Federalists that also brought Federal Women's Suffrage into being. The State of Grey Island was self contained on the self-named island. The borders of the State of MacKenzie included the 54th parallel to the north, the Continental Divide to the west, the 48th parallel to the south, and the Straits and Pacific Ocean to the East. MacKenzie also includes the Washington Isles.

Two new states closer to filling in the map :D

Glen

Overall, this World seems to be heading down a better path...well besides the rampant colonialism and militarism... beyond that, I can't wait until the modern day, a hopefully more advanced modern day.

My timelines do tend towards the 'better' side of OTL, though they have plenty of wars and the like - and yes, there is colonialism ITTL - I don't really see that being butterflied away. Time will tell if this world ends up better, worse, or just different from our own.

Glen

A map of the United States of America in 1876.

The States of the Union in 1876 in Alphabetical Order:

1. California
  2. Colorado
  3. Connecticut
  4. Delaware
  5. Gitchigumee
  6. Grey Island
  7. Huron
  8. Illinois
  9. Jacques
  10. Kentucky
  11. MacKenzie
  12. Maine
  13. Maryland
  14. Massachusetts
  15. Michigan
  16. Minnesota
  17. Mississippi
  18. Missouri
  19. Niobrara
  20. Newfoundland
  21. New Hampshire
  22. New Jersey
  23. New York
  24. Nova Scotia
  25. Ohio
  26. Ontario
  27. Oregon
  28. Pennsylvania
  29. Quebec
  30. Rhode Island
  31. Vermont
  32. Virginia
  33. Wabash
  34. Washington
  35. Winnepeg

DSA USA 1876.png

Great past few updates! Inspirational.

I'm still pining for the integration that I fear shall never occur...

At any rate, as a Memphian, I have to ask what that city is up to, how it looks, if it exists, etc.?

Again great updates, and love the map.

Great past few updates! Inspirational.

I'm still pining for the integration that I fear shall never occur...

At any rate, as a Memphian, I have to ask what that city is up to, how it looks, if it exists, etc.?

Again great updates, and love the map.

Maybe there will be an American Memphis-equivilent in the small part of Missippi-bordered Kentucky?

Glen

A most interesting state shape

Yeah, it's a bit odd, but less so than Winnipeg.:rolleyes:

On the other hand, the borders are based on the geography of the region.

and name. Why 'Jacques' and not 'James (-land/-ia)?' Or 'Dakota?'

Jacques is in fact the earliest name for the river, and with the increased Francophone influence in America, the Jacques name stuck. Dakota was a later attempt OTL and didn't stick in terms of the river, though it did the states.

It also would probably never be very populous, but that's just my wager based on what little I know of the area...

Probably not very populous, agreed - but then again, neither are OTL Dakotas.