Dominion of Southern America - Updated July 1, 2018

Glen

Congratulations and thanks, loyal DSA readers and posters! We are now at 3000 posts in the DSA thread!!!:D

Empress Elizabeth II of the British Empire, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, it was initially feared, might follow in the footsteps of her illustrious namesake, Elizabeth I, as an unmarried monarch. The names of suitors from the Empires of Scandinavia and Germany were the lead contenders as having appropriate ranking scions of the Protestant faith. A dark horse candidate was a younger member of the French Royal Family (presumably if willing to convert). However, in quick succession the Queen-Empress refused all matches. She was a strong willed, vivacious woman, perhaps best loved from afar, some said. Her advocacy for increasing women's rights in the British Empire and rather liberal views on arts, dress, and religion, was seen as detriments to potential matches.

However, the Empress had other plans for her future. She met and fell in love with the handsome young Scottish 13th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghome, Thomas Lyon-Bowes. Initially, her wish to marry was opposed by Parliament and the Archbishop of Canterbury. However, with the election of a new majority Liberal government in 1864 coupled with the death of the previous Archbishop and the Elizabeth's appointment of a more sympathetic occupant to the post, Elizabeth and her allies pushed through both temporal and secular approval of her love match, and for the first time since 1515, a British Subject married into the the direct line of the Sovereign. While Thomas was only recognized as Consort to the Empress, their children would have full rights of inheritance to the British throne.
the-marriage-of-victoria-the-princess-royal.jpg

Glen

Sounds very good. Liz continues to be strong minded and reformist and gets the man she wants, as well as introducing new blood.:D

Steve

Yessir. Pekin (Paducah) is the perfect candidate for a big port city to spring up.

Thanks for listening!

I disagree what about Cairo, Illinois not only is it much closer to the border but as the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers it much better placed to be the primary import/export port to the DSA as it's much closer to the border. Admittedly it probably wouldn't be sited where it is between two rivers but on one bank or the other.

I disagree what about Cairo, Illinois not only is it much closer to the border but as the confluence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers it much better placed to be the primary import/export port to the DSA as it's much closer to the border. Admittedly it probably wouldn't be sited where it is between two rivers but on one bank or the other.

It historically didn't grow as large as Paducah, why would it be different here? And if it's on the other bank, it's pretty much absorbed by Paducah anyway. Between the areas of Cairo, Metropolis, and Paducah there would be a large cross-river metropolitan area with the highest density in Paducah.

Isn't this whole region a bit too flood prone to be the site of a major inland port?

It historically didn't grow as large as Paducah, why would it be different here? And if it's on the other bank, it's pretty much absorbed by Paducah anyway. Between the areas of Cairo, Metropolis, and Paducah there would be a large cross-river metropolitan area with the highest density in Paducah.

There not exactly next door but you are right that a metro area stretching from OTL Cairo to OTL Paducah is entirely possible if not probable. I just think that the position of Cairo on the Mississippi will give it the edge. Though you might want to move it to the East bank just below the fork and spend some money on levee's to minimise the severe flood risk.

In what sense?

Having served with a Cheyanne chieftan in the Army, he always told me the relationships of the tribes in the Dakotas/Montana area with the USA had been mostly peaceful since the time of Lewis and Clark, especially compared to tribes like the Apace to the South. It certainly helped that skin color wise, alot of the Native Americans of the area almost look white. Until gold was discovered, it looked like they may be peacefully assimilated by the turn of the century.

Having served with a Cheyanne chieftan in the Army, he always told me the relationships of the tribes in the Dakotas/Montana area with the USA had been mostly peaceful since the time of Lewis and Clark, especially compared to tribes like the Apace to the South. It certainly helped that skin color wise, alot of the Native Americans of the area almost look white. Until gold was discovered, it looked like they may be peacefully assimilated by the turn of the century.

unless I'm mistaken, doesn't the geography you describe refer more to the likes of the Mandan, Hidatsa, and Arikara?

A Cheyenne probably knows more about these things than I would, but I lived in the Montana-North Dakota Region for some time, and what everyone told me while I was there was that the Sioux originally come from Minnesota, and that they'd clashed with settlers pretty much ever since settlers started showing up.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, just to add my two cents.

Glen

500px-Bonnieblue.svg.png

The initial flag of the break-away British Province of North Carolina was at first a single white star on a field of blue. According to some versions of its origins, this was supposed to represent a new star for the flag of the United States of America, and produced by a pro-annexationist faction of North Carolina. Whether this was true or not, the next flag to appear on the scene was more clearly related to some North Carolinians' aspirations for American annexation, and clearly inspired by that flag. However, as a compromise to pro-independence forces, it had eight stripes instead of the twelve of the USA. With the formation of the Confederation of Southern America and the inclusion of Texas, the pro-independence faction won the day politically, but by then a certain affection had grown among the rebels of North Carolina for the flag, and it was maintained with only the addition of an additional stripe.

Confederationist North Carolina Flag.png

Glen

Speaking of Korsgaardism, what's going on in Prussia-Poland at the moment?

Oh, busy teaching the Poles to fight like Prussians, implementing the Korsgaardian model of life (Everything is for the State, and the Father of the State is the Kaiser!), that sorta stuff....