So in the process of researching for my North American Native Timeline (working title), a subject that has always intrigued me is the possibility of alternate domesticated animals. Usually when I find an animal that has potential, it's more or less easy to determine if it could have been domesticated through the power of the internet. However, there really isn't a consensus on moose domestication. There are plenty of frustratingly vague references to moose domestication happening, but nothing concrete enough to support it. I've been reading through every thread on this site with any mention of "moose", and besides half of the results concerning Theodore Roosevelt's Progressive Party, the site seems to be of the consensus that moose could have been a domesticated animal, but since it was mostly suited to more niche environments (northern wetlands/woodlands), it lost out to better domesticates, like the horse. However, there are no horses in the Americas, and the moose would be perfectly suited to the environment of my alternate civilization (a northern mostly riverine civilization).

If domesticated, the moose could be very useful. They would be a source of meat, milk, and leather. Their antlers and velvet could be a trade item. They could also be used as a draft, and potentially pack animal, but some selective breeding would need to occur. I could see them serving a niche similar to the water buffalo, fertilizing fields with excrement and eating aquatic weeds.

However, there are problems with moose domestication. Rutting season makes bull moose very aggressive and dangerous. It isn't ideal to have a 1,000 pound animal running around your farm unchecked. They are also known at breaking through fences. Another problem is that moose are usually solitary browsers. However, these problems can probably be fixed, albeit with a little bit of effort.

So what do you think? Is it possible? I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts.

At Kostroma Farm they have moose sow and calves in by feeding them oats, they'll accept being milked by imprinting but don't return if they smell blood from one of their own being slaughtered. The issue is wild moose bulls will freely breed with the sows that are willing to go to the farm, that impacts artificial selection for true domestication.