Die Reënboog - A South African TL

If South Africa were to have annexed Bechuanaland/Botswana as a province, the name I generally see is "Stellaland." What about for South West Africa/Namibia? Would it have become the province of "South West Africa" or is there another name they would have plausibly used?
I think I will use Bechuanaland (historical) and Namibland (personal preference) as names for the states.

It's a Long Way to the Top
Kaiser Matanzima never thought he would be Prime Minister. He was perfectly happy being an MP from Transkei (Then still a part of Eastern Cape), being a respected chief, being second-in-command. But then everything changed. Luthuli's sudden, tragic death astounded the nation, and now it was his job to make sure that the country he loved could stay together during these trying times.

Or at least, that's what people thought.

A special conference of party leaders was arranged in Cape Town, with Matanzima in attendance. Despite having the late Luthuli's support, Matanzima received shockingly few votes. Instead, Oliver Tambo, a rising leader within the ANC and co-founder of the party's youth wing took the conference by storm. His unique position, being able to draw support from both younger and older members eventually earned him leadership of the Congress Coaliton.

Matanzima returned to his home in the East Cape, soundly defeated. While he hadn't expected to gain much from the conference, he saw now that there was only one answer to the problems facing South Africa.

Dissolution.

Last edited:
I may be missing something but I'm a bit confused... is there meant to be an update in between we didn't get? The background on the POD and territorial expansion of the Union are all great, but the 2 "modern" updates are "the new PM is elected" and then "the new PM is dead and they're trying to pick a successor." What happened in the interim? Or am I misunderstanding?

I may be missing something but I'm a bit confused... is there meant to be an update in between we didn't get? The background on the POD and territorial expansion of the Union are all great, but the 2 "modern" updates are "the new PM is elected" and then "the new PM is dead and they're trying to pick a successor." What happened in the interim? Or am I misunderstanding?
I'm sorry about the constant skipping and hopping around in time, it's just kind of how I write :p
I get inspiration for a specific time period of TTL South Africa, I write it, and move on. Again, I'm sorry if it's confusing.

No I totally understand! And don't apologize. I think I was just confused about the chronology. It's a very interesting premise and the updates are all well written!

Rhodesia II
Jack peered around the corner into the busy convention hall. Everywhere he looked, he could see thousands of his countrymen chatting and exchanging anecdotes. Someone patted him on the shoulder. Jack jumped and looked back.
"Oh, no reason to be nervous, bruv!" A toothy grin smiled back. "You're not from 'round 'ere, are ya?"
"No," chuckled Jack, "I'm not. I'm new you see and-"
"And that's just fine!" cut in the stranger. "We love to see new faces."
"Thank you," smiled Jack.
"No problem at all! My name's 'enry by the way. Come on, the meeting's starting."
Jack, Henry and the other men (and some women) crowded into the packed convention hall. Loudspeakers were set up in all the corners, and a big stage sat in the center, with a microphone and pedestal. A stout, pudgy gentleman [1] mounted the steps and strode towards the pedestal as the crowd began to applaud.
"Please, ladies and gentlemen, settle down!"
A hush fell over the crowd, and the pudgy gentleman began to speak.
"Welcome all to the Fortieth Annual Party Congress of the Rhodesian National Party!"
Cheers and applause erupted from the crowd. Jack felt compelled to join in. After the applause had died down, he began again:
"Before we begin, for this auspicious occasion, I have here, in my hand, the lyrics to our new party anthem!" More applause followed this.
Jack looked at the pamphlet being passed out. As soon as he looked inside, the man on the stage shouted
"One, two, three!" and the crowd began to sing to the tune of "Clementine." The lyrics ran:

Land of rivers; Land of mountains
Lit by the countenance divine
You're my only sacred homeland
Oh, Rhodesia, land of mine

Gold and silver, wood and sugar
Come forth richly from the ground
The turacos sing their chorus
It's a truly perfect sound

Fair Rhodesia, land of promise
Let us be worthy of her name!
And for eons past tomorrow
Let the famous chorus ring

Jack wasn't sure what it meant to be Rhodesian, but he was sure this came close.

[1] Edgar Whitehead, OTL Sixth S.R. Prime Minister and the "pudgy gentleman"

Last edited:
Quick note, but I've retconned Sol Dollie's leadership of the Coaltion. I just couldn't access any resources on him, so i'm using Oliver Tambo instead, (who has documentation)

Kaiser Matanzima never thought he would be Prime Minister. He was perfectly happy being an MP from Transkei (Then still a part of Eastern Cape), being a respected chief, being second-in-command. But then everything changed. Luthuli's sudden, tragic death astounded the nation, and now it was his job to make sure that the country he loved could stay together during these trying times.

Or at least, that's what people thought.

A special conference of party leaders was arranged in Cape Town, with Matanzima in attendance. Despite having the late Luthuli's support, Matanzima received shockingly few votes. Instead, Oliver Tambo, a rising leader within the ANC and co-founder of the party's youth wing took the conference by storm. His unique position, being able to draw support from both younger and older members eventually earned him leadership of the Congress Coaliton.

Matanzima returned to his home in the East Cape, soundly defeated. While he hadn't expected to gain much from the conference, he saw now that there was only one answer to the problems facing South Africa.

Dissolution.
Tambo, will need help. Sobukwe is living, perhaps white leaders, like Devillers graaf and Helen Susman could play an appropriate role

Gold and silver, wood and sugar
Come forth richly from the ground
The turacos sing their chorus
It's a truly perfect sound

Fair Rhodesia, land of promise
Let us be worthy of her name!
And for eons past tomorrow
Let the famous chorus ring

Is this a real song?

Monarchy
From The Rainbow Nation (1996):
Ever since the foundation of a South African State in 1910, the population had been deeply divided on the subject of the monarchy. For once, Blacks and Boers were somewhat united on the cause against the monarchy. Many Blacks saw the monarchy as a lasting monument to colonial rule, but others saw Commonwealth subsidies and pressure as the only reason why South Africa hadn't been turned into a white-minority state already [1]. Boers, understandably, saw the monarchy as the very force that had made war with them and killed their people during the Boer Wars.

The idea for a referendum was first posed by the Leader of the Opposition Hendrik Verwoerd in 1966, who was an ardent Afrikaner nationalist. His argument was that South Africa was now an independent state, and it was anachronistic to retain the British monarch as head of state. Under the National Party's proposed constitution, controlling power would be vested in the Prime Minister, with a ceremonial State President [2]. With support from an odd alliance of Black and Afrikaner nationalists, the motion passed by 2 votes in the House of Assembly, and by 1 in the Senate, with several Afrikaner politicians voting for the measure, much to the displeasure of their parties. Officially, the Congress Coalition was opposed to this republic, as they felt it would take off the pressure against South Africa to modernize. At a time when segregation was widespread, argued the ANC, there were more important issues than whether or not South Africa had a Queen or a President.

Much debate was held over the date of the referendum. Afrikaners wanted it held on Commonwealth Day, 1967, but notably not for its significance to the 'No' campaign, but as a day when Afrikaners would be likely to turn out in droves (for it was a public holiday), but also a day when many 'No' voters would be celebrating. The special committee formed on the matter outright rejected this proposal, seeing through the political motivations behind it. A neutral day, March 2nd, was chosen instead.

The 'No' campaign started off on the wrong foot, with several managers being found to have embezzled funds. A major boost came, when former Prime Minister De Villiers Graf announced his wholehearted support towards the campaign.

The 'Yes' campaign was slightly more favored, but stumbled after Verwoerd refused to condemn the violence of the Pretoria and Durban race riots. This alienated many moderates from the campaign.

There were protests from Congress Coalition MPs about the lack of Xhosa and Zulu translations on the ballot, but these were largely ignored. In fact, the referendum was largely out of the hands of Prime Minister Tambo and his cabinet, which troubled them a great deal.

The date of the referendum came quickly, and the results were as follows:

SHOULD THE UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA BECOME A CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC?
MOET DIE UNIE VAN SUID-AFRIKA 'N GRONDWETLIKE REPUBLIEK WORD?

'JA/YES'49.9%
'GEEN/NO' 50.1%

[1] OTL South Africa's post-1961 constitution
[2] Also OTL.

Last edited:
South West Africa
[1] From Heia Safari: Germany in Africa (2021)

Modern-day Namibland (Then and henceforth known as South West Africa) has had a troubled history. Originally colonized by Germany in the Scramble for Africa, the territory was traditionally inhabited by the Herero, Damara, Ovambo, and Tswana peoples. Early in the 20th century, the colony was marred by a horrendous genocide against the Herero and Nama, perpetrated after the killing of a German tradesman. The genocide killed over 50,000 of the two peoples, and the issue of reparations is still unresolved and has damaged otherwise friendly relations between South Africa and Germany.

During World War One, South West Africa was occupied by South African forces by 1915. The occupation ended in 1918, when the area became a League of Nations mandate under South Africa, including the Walvis Bay enclave, which was governed as if it were a part of the mandate. After World War 2, League of Nations mandates were theoretically supposed to become United Nations mandates, but Prime Minister Jan Smuts objected. Instead, he argued, the territory should become a province of South Africa. The case eventually culminated in a case, presented before the International Court of Justice, Ethiopia v. South Africa. In controversial fashion, the justices ruled in favor of South Africa, and South West Africa became the 11th province of the Union of South Africa on the 1st of January, 1956.

South West Africa became a battleground between Black and White nationalists, due to its mixed population.. The 1980 Walvis Bay shooting was a particularly violent example, with 3 men being killed in the confrontation. Skirmishes between South African soldiers and Afrikaner nationalist militants were commonplace, as the vast scrub-lands of South West Africa provided adequate cover for underground activities.

After the 1998 peace accords, and a UN resolution condemning the violence, “Blutender Südwesten” was over. The province’s name was changed to Namibland following a referendum in 2021.

[1] Yes, two updates in one day. I was really bored.

Rhodesia III
January 3rd, 1968
Victoria Falls Border Checkpoint 1

All was quiet. It was just after New Year's at The Falls, and most every one of the guards were very tired.

Willem stepped out from the little building next to the main road. It was an older building, with streaks running down its sides from rain long gone. The wind whistled through the trees. The only real movement he could see was the churning motion from the falls. He faltered, shivered, and turned himself away from the wind. Just then, a car horn sounded, and a jeep rolled into the crossing, and stopped at the gate.

"Name?" he mumbled weakly.
"John Ickescombe," replied the man in the car.
"License and registration?"
The man handed over the correct documents.
"Alright, let me just check your carg-" He was interrupted when the man drew a gun from behind him.
"Don't make a move." said the man through gritted teeth. "You will let us pass. Now, drop your weapon."
Willem let his service pistol clatter to the ground.
"Now," said the man, climbing out of the car, "Go tell your friends that this is now occupied territory, alright?"
Willem nodded.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:

"The Victoria Falls hostage crisis was a 28-day standoff between the South African Police and four members of the Rhodesian SAS, a terrorist group seeking Rhodesian independence. The gunmen took 11 hostages, and the standoff ended when the gunmen finally surrendered on February 1st. The crisis was part of a coordinated effort by Rhodesian separatist groups to intimidate the South African government [1]."

[1] I wish I had a Wikibox, but alas, no cigar.

Reaction
From The Rainbow Nation (1996)

As soon as the vote was called for the monarchy, riots broke out across Afrikaner cities. Cape Town, Bloemfontein, and Pretoria were all subsumed in a wave of violence. Shops were looted, windows smashed, and in Durban, the statue of King George V was torn down. Immediately, there were monarchist reactions to the violence. Perhaps most provocative of all, the Voortrekker monument in Pretoria was taken over by counter-protesters, and in a strange cooperation, ANC flags and Union Jacks were draped over the stone engravings of the monument.

For many, this was just too much.

In Transvaal, armed militants took the results of the referendum as a vindication of their beliefs. If the country wouldn't change, they'd have to change it. Across the country, Afrikaner militias mobilized. ANC paramilitaries took this as a sign as well. The whole country was on a precipice. Civil war seemed inevitable.
Prime Minister Tambo and his cabinet scrambled for control of the situation. An emergency inter-party conference was held to diffuse the chaos in an attempt to calm all parties. Now known as the Veritas Accords, it established a Quebec-like system for Afrikaners. It was now expected that every other Prime Minister would be white, but in exchange, Zulu and Xhosa were officially recognized as national languages. Transvaal and the Orange Free State would be given inflated numbers of MPs. A degree of devolution would also be granted, and some tribal lands were split off as independent districts. Kaiser Matanzima would successfully advocate for these areas to be given a similar amount of autonomy as that of Transvaal and the Free State.

By and large, the unspoken agreements established in 1967 were successful in stabilizing the nation. In true parliamentary fashion, a true compromise had been reached, where both sides were equally unhappy with the arrangement.
Tambo was not usually a man of compromise. Before the landslide in 1966, he had advocated potentially violent methods of enforcing majority rule. By the time of his ascendancy to the premiership, he had changed somewhat, seeing the successes of the democratic process. Still, a major guiding force in the ensuing agreement was the help and support from his more moderate comrades, such as Mandela, Helen Suzman, and most surprising, an outgoing Div Graaff. Together, they formed an interracial union of liberal democrats, one that would truly define the “Rainbow Coalition’s” tenure in office. But meanwhile, up north, a storm was brewing, one that would draw the attention of both the Soviet Union and the United States.

Last edited: