DCS Revised: A Better Color Scheme

Which color should Hungary use in the DCSR?

• Dark teal (DCS)

Votes: 27 56.3%
  • Light teal (current DCSR)

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • Brick red (NCS)

Votes: 10 20.8%

• Total voters
1708222078502.png

Here's Central America, one of the smaller sections.

Compiled a list of the duplicates in the current DCSR. Most glaring is that the ROC, Western Sahara and Niger all have the same color.

DCSR duplicates.png

Couple more duplicates with the Caribbean release, although one of the duplicates is just San Andres and Providencia twice. In case anyone was wondering, I've been making an X2/3/4 formatted version of the DCSR for personal use. If @erictom333 you'd care for that to be shared, let me know. The darker and paler shades are different from yours, as they're all calculated by a formula in excel, but the primary colors are the same.

more duplicates.png

In case anyone was wondering, I've been making an X2/3/4 formatted version of the DCSR for personal use. If @erictom333 you'd care for that to be shared, let me know. The darker and paler shades are different from yours, as they're all calculated by a formula in excel, but the primary colors are the same.
I'd be perfectly fine with that, on the condition that you use my formula for the lighter and darker shades (for sake of consistency).
They're not the same color, although there are two American Redoubts. 242:86:40 and 191:179:87.
The first ("far-right/white supremacist US") doesn't have "American Redoubt" as an alias, you're probably either confusing it with "Northwest Territorial Imperative" (which is an alias for "far-right/white supremacist US") or on an older version of the DCSR that I have since corrected.

I'd be perfectly fine with that, on the condition that you use my formula for the lighter and darker shades (for sake of consistency).
That is a lot of coding that I do not feel like doing. So I guess it'll remain for personal use. Also, I don't even know what formula you use. I assumed you added and subtracted from the hue like SUCK or TOASTER. If it is a hue based formula, than it's actually incompatible with X-system of formulas, which are all RGB based.

Last edited:
That is a lot of coding that I do not feel like doing. So I guess it'll remain for personal use.
Tbh I'd just publish the resulting scheme nevertheless, even if it has some differences (because yeah, transfers from RGB to HSV are a non-lineal mess). As for the formula he uses, it is in the opening post of the thread: "are created by painting over the color with 25% opacity black/white once and twice." This isn't really a formula and it is software-dependent, so applying a hue-based scaling is just better.

That is a lot of coding that I do not feel like doing. So I guess it'll remain for personal use. Also, I don't even know what formula you use. I assumed you added and subtracted from the hue like SUCK or TOASTER. If it is a hue based formula, than it's actually incompatible with X-system of formulas, which are all RGB based.

Tbh I'd just publish the resulting scheme nevertheless, even if it has some differences (because yeah, transfers from RGB to HSV are a non-lineal mess). As for the formula he uses, it is in the opening post of the thread: "are created by painting over the color with 25% opacity black/white once and twice." This isn't really a formula and it is software-dependent, so applying a hue-based scaling is just better.
The formula I use is RGB-based and can be obtained from simple color linear interpolation.
Darker 2 = 9/16 color + 7/16 black = (9R/16, 9G/16, 9B/16)
Darker = 3/4 color + 1/4 black = (3R/4, 3G/4, 3B/4)
Lighter = 3/4 color + 1/4 white = (64 + 3R/4, 64 + 3G/4, 64 + 3B/4)
Lighter 2 = 9/16 color + 7/16 white = (112 + 9R/16, 112 + 9G/16, 112 + 9B/16)

The formula I use is RGB-based and can be obtained from simple color linear interpolation.
Darker 2 = 9/16 color + 7/16 black = (9R/16, 9G/16, 9B/16)
Darker = 3/4 color + 1/4 black = (3R/4, 3G/4, 3B/4)
Lighter = 3/4 color + 1/4 white = (64 + 3R/4, 64 + 3G/4, 64 + 3B/4)
Lighter 2 = 9/16 color + 7/16 white = (112 + 9R/16, 112 + 9G/16, 112 + 9B/16)
@Drex Is that the same formulation used in the original DCS?

DCS has no formulation at all, I made all of the shades by colour picking or adjusting hue to a point in which they were different enough.
This is why I wwnt with a simple and consostent formula. Plus, it makes it much easier to color lighter or darker shades without having to go back to the palette, and simplifies the creatiońamd editing of the palette.