Dagger of Ways
The Shadowy World of an Unmade Reboot

(A computer game popular culture timeline)

- - - -

Prologue

----

(...)

"I often hear this misconception that we or the guys at Eidos wanted to milk the brand name dry, and the subsequent fallout from Dagger of Ways was our comeuppance for that or something. The actual situation was a bit more complex. What happened was something that was sort of endemic to the series from day one. The first installment... it nearly didn't get made, several times over. The former Looking Glass team members we inherited for the third installment could talk hours about that. 1997 to 1998 turned out to be a lucky fluke for them, even with all the crunch time and reworking involved. Afterward, they continued their winning streak by making the second Shock and The Metal Age... and then the studio went kaput."

"Until Ion Storm basically adopted most of the old LGS team and gave the third installment a go..."

"Yeah. But with that came a built-in fanbase. We were suddenly left juggling pleasing people who were thrilled for sequels to both series. Some of the fans - you know, the 'taffers' - were all nervous and cautious on how we'd handle the third one, and whether it would sell well. There were these fears that history's going to repeat itself, like with the first one, or the second one. Some even predicted it would be our last game, instead of a small, but useful shot in the arm. There was similar trepidation in the Deus Ex fanbase. Ultimately, despite how well Invisible War and Deadly Shadows turned out, there were still complaints by the fans, you know. Oh, there were complaints !"

"I can imagine !"

"Admittedly, Unreal 2 was good to work with, but it was limiting in some ways, and some of the deviations in the details annoyed a few die-hards. Still, both games pulled off pretty good sales on PCs and the original XBox, and we managed to placate our boses for two more years before it all started coming apart..."

-
anonymous former developer at Ion Storm Austin, in an interview for the May 2012 issue of PC Gamer

----

"I still don't get where this idea that I activelly worked on Dagger of Ways came from. Probably from that old "But Randy's the horror guy !" meme. [chuckles] I still find it ironic, given that I happened to be the level designer on two scarier missions in TDP, but I originally came to work for LGS purely through determination and sheer dumb luck. I wasn't there from the start, they were a fair bit into development by that point. Yeah, those missions might have turned out very differently. Now, about Dagger of Ways... After Ion Storm clawed itself back financially a bit, Eidos were more lenient of greenlighting a potential sequel. They even allowed the Austin team to keep me for a short while, but I was hesitant to stay, since I thought my work on the series is done. We've just finished off the trilogy on a nice book end and all... After plenty of pleading to help, at least as an initial design consultant, I caved in. I didn't stay for long, about five more weeks. And honestly... I contributed with some pre-production ideas, but the finished product doesn't feature many of these. Neither does it feature plenty of Jordan's ideas. Yeah. If you want one of the main brainstormers behind the gameplay mechanics and narrative, Jordan Thomas is your man. I just helped out, sort of like when I got my start in my early LGS days. [smiles humbly]"

- Randy Smith being asked about the fourth game in an "18 years of Thief" video retrospective, November 2016

----

"IMHO, Dagger of Ways is very underrated

SILVERMOON DUSK: I know there's been plenty of threads discussing where and how the fourth game fits in the series and whether it doesn't spoil it. As much as I didn't want to start a new thread, I couldn't find one on this exact topic, so I've decided to launch this discussion. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I really like the fourth game.

GARRETTtheSNEAKSIE: Sigh. This again ? I think you forgot 'Oh yeah, I went there.' as a follow-up to your last sentence.

PYLON ZANE: Blasphemy. No. Beyond blasphemy...

IDA: Now, now, PZ. Calm down, old boy. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

PYLON ZANE: Unless they're entertainingly wrong.

TJR4: The fourth one is... something else. Literally. So different to the original three, that it might as well had been a completely new series. Why make it Thief 4 at all ? Reboot, sequel... At least the bean counters at Eidos should have made up their minds on what it's supposed to be. On the other hand, ignoring the title and all the setting changes, it's a pretty good game. You can feel a bit of a spiritual successor in it. It's flawed, obviously, and it's clear Eidos just wanted to rush it out and forget about it after a while... No wonder it mostly tanked.

PYLON ZANE: Yet you get people who say it's some misunderstood cult classic now ! Gimme a break. The fourth one is just a lame World of Darkness or Max Payne knockoff for emos. Deal with it. Ion Storm screwed it up, big time. To me, that installment does not exist. No one asked for it anyway.

OBJECTIVE RESULT: Well, genre-wise, it is closer to survival horror, compared to the first three. Admittedly, the Cradle in TDS was already a tense horror piece par excellence, but in the fourth, Thomas really found an outlet for his horror ideas.

PYLON ZANE: And that's the exact issue ! Thief can be scary, yes. But making it into another bit of dark urban fantasy ?! Lame.

IDA: Jeez, PZ... *facepalm*

OBJECTIVE RESULT: Hey, at least they put genuine effort into the art design and most of the mechanics, I'll give them that. It's a better looking urban fantasy horror... thing... than most other games that've attempted the same. Like the first three games, it takes well-trodden premises, but it has plenty of fun ideas on how to bring them all together and elevate them into something unique. Speaking for myself, aside from some of the minor tech issues, I found it a very enjoyable game. Quite different from TDP, TMA and TDS in style, but still with plenty of highly atmospheric stealth.

PYLON ZANE: I think the only enjoyment that installment brought me was the fact that Ion Storm finally popped their clogs afterward !"

- discussion thread in the Thief section of the ThroughTheLookingGlass.com fan forums, September 2009

Last edited:
What do we have here ?

That question sounded almost like something out of Russell's voice acting. But you won't see him here. What is this ? Tis' a short popcultural timeline, you unholy-wrought.

Well, I never ! I presume this is something computer game related ?

Right you are. In the mid-2000s, there were plans for a fourth game in the Thief series, to be developed by Ion Storm Austin and published by Eidos Interactive. Unlike the third installment, which IS developed during a 2000-2004 timeframe, this fourth game would have been a reboot of sorts. It would have reimagined the series in a different setting, but with many of the basic gameplay ideas still intact or similar enough. The game was never made though, and Ion Storm closed its doors already in 2004, a few months after they published Thief: Deadly Shadows.

While stuff was known about the cancelled reboot idea for years, it was only last year that more info surfaced on the whole thing. The idea for this TLIAM's been with me for a good few months now, ever since said expanded archive info surfaced to the public. More on my previous plans for this TLIAM here and here.

But wasn't there a reboot attempt back in 2014 ?

There was, after a confused, ca 5 years long effort. However, before the OTL example was ever even a vague idea, there were in-house plans at Ion Storm and Eidos to restart the Thief series, given that the third game brought the storyline of the original trilogy full circle. There weren't many novel places left to go, and it was clear the original setting needed a bit of a rest. That's where the devs caved in to the publisher's hankering for a more modern-themed and more actiony incarnation of Thief, but things didn't get out of pre-production in OTL.

POD ?

Several smaller ones. I'll reveal more as this goes along, but the gist of it is present already in this intro: Ion Storm Austin handles the development and release of Deus Ex: Invisible War better than in OTL, the increased sales help them a bit (but just a bit) out of their financial troubles. The level of polish and the number of sales for Thief : Deadly Shadows also becomes a bit higher than in OTL. After that, Eidos Interactive hesitantly okays a fourth Thief game, provided the setting and some of the gameplay gets changed around this time.

Repercussions on gaming trends and the game development industry ?

There won't be that many, really. At least nothing absolutely earth-shaking. Nevertheless, some of the fallout from this cancelled game will leave behind certain subtle ripples, and they'll have a bit of an influence on how certain OTL games from the late 2000s and early 2010s will turn out. Including what thematic and genre trends will be popular.

I hope you won't go for a Thief 4 wank or something...

Nope. Funnily enough, the point of this TLIAM isn't "How it could have been better !", but "Different starting conditions and different decisions definitely create different outcomes. For good and bad.". (You can also read about this plan in my initial idea for this TLIAM.) The point isn't a "better ATL" or "worse ATL", just an ATL that's different, in both positive and negative ways.

Okay then. But hey, there are real life game devs in this story ! And fictional discussions of Thief fans too !

And that is precisely why I want to avoid being silly or disrespectful to said people, in particular the devs and publishers. This story shouldn't be taken at face value, it's just a bit of short-form AH fiction on events that never happened. In addition, all the fan usernames from various forums are purely fictional, though some are affectionate jabs at some famous members in the series' fandom.

Are you confident you'll be able to finish this timeline within a reasonable timeframe ?

"Then didst the Builder lay down His Hammer, and take His Chisel to hand. Smoothed he the rough gem, and shaped it to His will. For each task hath its tool, and every tool, a task."

I'll take that as a "Yes."

Yea, verily.

And I'll also take it as a thinly-veiled "I might occasionally rework a few chapters, if I find them insufficient in quality". Amirite, taffer ?

"Wasn't so long ago I was planning my retirement... Now the only thing that's getting retired are my standards..."

Last edited:
Oh man, a games timeline about Thief.
Im bloody excited.

With Thief around longer maybe there'd be a few more high profile stealth games around.

Also the mention of WoD seems like it'll be larger ITTL which might mean things fare better for Troika, the Obsidian WoD game goes into production or some other Alt project happens?

I suppose that any one of them attempts at reviving Deus Ex before HR could succeed too.

Last edited:
Oh man, a games timeline about Thief. Im bloody excited.

So am I. This is going to be tricky though, as a lot of the surviving materials on the cancelled fourth game are fairly sketchy.

Also the mention of WoD seems like it'll be larger ITTL which might mean things fare better for Troika, the Obsidian WoD game goes into production or some other Alt project happens?

Wait and see. He might have been talking about White Wolf's tabletops, not necessarily their video game adaptations.

A more elegant POD might be Deus Ex (original) launching on the Xbox in Fall 2001 (say a month post-launch?) instead of PS2 April 2002. Unlike the PS2 they wouldn't have had to butcher it to fit in RAM, and given the age of Deus Ex should allow them to be a flagship 720p title with the development time spent reworking it to fit on PS2 instead applied to fixing things and updating the graphics (a little).

That would a) keep the fan base on one platform, b) killer launch game and the boost in sales and publicity that you get from that, leading to c) a little more budget behind Deus Ex 2 and hence the knock-on effects you're looking for as regards Ion Storm and Thief 4.

But regardless I will be following along with anticipation. Looking Glass and associated and/or successor developers make my favourite games of all time (indeed Deus Ex is number 1, and has been since it released). I can imagine all kinds of interesting butterflies stemming from this.

A more elegant POD might be Deus Ex (original) launching on the Xbox in Fall 2001 (say a month post-launch?) instead of PS2 April 2002. Unlike the PS2 they wouldn't have had to butcher it to fit in RAM, and given the age of Deus Ex should allow them to be a flagship 720p title with the development time spent reworking it to fit on PS2 instead applied to fixing things and updating the graphics (a little).

That would a) keep the fan base on one platform, b) killer launch game and the boost in sales and publicity that you get from that, leading to c) a little more budget behind Deus Ex 2 and hence the knock-on effects you're looking for as regards Ion Storm and Thief 4.

Ah, I haven't thought of this ! A genuinely interesting idea. :cool: Wasn't the PS2 notorious at the time for being harder to develop for (or am I confusing that with PS3 around 2006/7) ? And wouldn't putting the game on a brand new and untested platform like the XBox be a bit of a gamble at the time ?

I might attempt to engineer this into the timeline, as long as it doesn't cause too much butterflies.

I could see things going like this: The ATL first Deus Ex is somewhat higher res, etc., on all platforms (including the XBox), it establishes itself critically as well as in OTL, but has higher sales. Ion Storm as a whole is still reeling from the fiasco of Daikatana, but the Austin branch debutes with Deus Ex a few months afterward and Eidos is eventually better satisfied with the sales as well. This leads to better support for the development of the sequel and more attention payed to the sequel in general.

Thief: Deadly Shadows isn't particularly affected by the Deus Ex developments, aside from maybe the PC port requiring less loading zones and therefore being a cut above the XBox version, which remains more conservative in its use of the hardware. There also might exist the possibility of TDS getting a proper, modder-friendly SDK, instead of the hurriedly prepared and donated OTL T3Ed (seriously, it's the primary reason there are less fan missions and mods for TDS - it's harder to work with than either DromEd or TDM's Dark Radiant).

Could this work as a rough outline of how the switch of OTL Deus Ex from PS2 to XBox could have impacted Ion Storm's fortunes in the short run ?

But regardless I will be following along with anticipation. Looking Glass and associated and/or successor developers make my favourite games of all time (indeed Deus Ex is number 1, and has been since it released). I can imagine all kinds of interesting butterflies stemming from this.

Thank you for the feedback and for your interest in the TLIAW. I'll try to finish another chapter very soon.

Ah, I haven't thought of this ! A genuinely interesting idea. :cool: Wasn't the PS2 notorious at the time for being harder to develop for (or am I confusing that with PS3 around 2006/7) ?

And wouldn't putting the game on a brand new and untested platform like the XBox be a bit of a gamble at the time ?

The PS2 was very tough to develop for. Indeed the Ars Technica articles on the PS2 were more useful to developers vs the largely Japanese or non-existent documentation from Sony. That problem was fixed by 2001-2 IIRC but combined with the limited RAM (pre-widespread GTA III style streaming open world tech) and development starting when PS2 development was tough are some of the many of the reasons Deus Ex PS2 is a triumph of butchery.

Nah. The Xbox was literally a PC which combined with 64 MB of RAM made it able to run Deus Ex reasonably easy. So it would have been a cheap port turned OTL PS2 cost to up the graphics and maybe add a few things cut from the original game (to then sell on the PC again lol). Perhaps they could cut an exclusivity deal with MS even, since Invisible War could be shown to them as well. And the Xbox itself was viewed as a very solid competitor by western publishers who were all sold on putting games on it, MS courted them surprisingly hard.

I could see things going like this: The ATL first Deus Ex is somewhat higher res, etc., on all platforms (including the XBox), it establishes itself critically as well as in OTL, but has higher sales.
[…]
Could this work as a rough outline of how the switch of OTL Deus Ex from PS2 to XBox could have impacted Ion Storm's fortunes in the short run ?

All platforms meaning Xbox and PC. Killing the PS2 port is the only way to get the money for an Xbox version plus perhaps bonus MS money. Plus Deus Ex PC does have multiplayer which could extend its success, that could run 2-4 player couch style since this is pre-Live, or even LAN like Halo.

Otherwise that all sounds reasonable, I'm looking forward to it :).

# 1: Deux Ex Machina

----

"We were genuinely happy with the critical success and rising sales of Deus Ex. After the Dallas team's disaster with Daikatana, Deus Ex felt like the miracle we were all hoping for at Ion Storm. You could say John [Romero]'s decision to help me make my dream project a reality payed off. [smiles] Deus Ex managed to salvage a big chunk of Ion Storm's reputation in a rather dramatic fashion, in ways we couldn't have anticipated a mere few months before. By late August 2000, with all of the praise and solid sales coming in, we finally felt like we're back in control. We were eager to start work on the sequel.

(...)

Though Eidos had always felt rather skeptical about the game's concept, the acclaim and sales we managed to generate in just a few months convinced them that Deus Ex wasn't an empty gamble. With that, though, came a further challenge. In autumn, Eidos notified us of their intention of getting the game to consoles, for some added exposure. Though we would have preferred to focus solely on making the sequel, the console port was something we were ultimately looking forward to, despite the added workload it created. We were genuinely eager to get Deus Ex to a wider audience. Things were looking up, we were getting cautiously optimistic about IS's future. Especially the future of the Austin branch.

However, already in late 2000, a few members of the then team were starting to question Eidos' insistence on porting Deus Ex to the brand new PlayStation 2. Among the most vocal critics of the Eidos decision was Chris Norden, my old pal and co-worker since the Origin days. He called me one afternoon and told me about a thing he realised the day before, late in the evening. The PlayStation 2 had 4 MB of RAM, not a meg more. Looking at the Deus Ex PC specs, there was no chance we could fit all that content, with the exact same level of complexity, into a PS2 port. The game would have to be remade, bit by bit, the missions in particular would have to become segmented into smaller parts, tied together with loading zones. He argued that if we'd go for the PlayStation, the only thing we'd get out of the Deus Ex console port would be a hassle to strip everything down. The limits were simply too strict. He even pointed out several articles online about the growing complaints on the difficulty of developing titles for the PS2. Partly down to the limiting RAM, partly down to oft-insufficient documentation provided for developers. [1]

Naturally, though I was willing to hear him out, I told him quite clearly, that this isn't going to fly. Eidos had made a good fortune on titles that were published for the original PlayStation, the Tomb Raider games in particular. They weren't going to part with publishing games for the PlayStation. Besides, as I pointed out to Chris, there just wasn't a viable alternative on the horizon. He retorted with 'Really, Warren ? What about that XBox thing...'. The thought had actually crossed my mind, but I told them that Eidos will never allow us to pull a stunt like that. They were eyeing the XBox at the time as another viable console market, but no concrete plans were made at that point for any title. 'Face it, Chris, the XBox hasn't even been released yet,' I told him. 'And you want to tempt fate and the possible future of the studio on being a contrarian to Eidos ?! Sorry, but we'll never be able to convince Eidos to take such a massive risk.'. Little did I know back then, that's exactly what that man will convince me to do ! [hearty laugh]

By the time I arrived at the office the next day, Chris had already managed to sway a few people on the team to contemplate whether the PS2 was really the best route we could go for. I felt like the disagreements from the development days of the first Deus Ex were starting all over again, it was a sense of déja vu... [chuckle] Little did I know that, in a week, I'd be already negotiating with the publisher about whether they could strike a deal with Microsoft concerning its new console. Obviously, at first, they thought I've gone mad... Me and Chris decided to visit a little while later. We gave them something of a lecture on the issue and on how we saw the future of the series and its place among other strong Eidos brands... Things were somewhat slow to move, but...

(...)

With the XBox port of Deus Ex being a fairly unprecedented success story, Eidos started to feel more supportive of Ion Storm once again. We possibly ameliorated their opinion of us, as "that studio which makes weird, overly ambitious games", to something more appreciative. [brief laugh]

The lessons learned with the first game, including the issues with the rather rushed Eidos-Microsoft deal and subsequent XBox port, were instrumental to us when we started the pre-production process on Invisible War. While we knew we had to upgrade to the newer iteration of the Unreal engine, both for IW and the third Thief, we felt we had a better grasp on how to approach the whole thing. Obviously, the XBox port wasn't completely bug-free, as we were developing for a brand new console and our port also unintentionally became one of the launch titles for the system.

Invisible War was meant to fix the oversights of both the PC and the XBox version of the first game, and after the massive risk we took, Eidos now allowed us to specialise on the XBox when doing future console ports of our games. In early December 2002, work on Invisible War was progressing well. We were fairly deep into design and the building of some "proto-missions" as we called them... And then, around mid-December, one of the newer team members we hired back when we were working on the XBox port, started to highlight a potential gameplay issue. I was aware of it, but it got somewhat burried underneath all the previous work and enthusiasm for additions and changes to the sequel.

This new dev had scoured some of the fan forums, purely out of interest, to get an idea of players' opinions on the sequel in development. What surprised him was the frequency of posts expressing hope about AI improvements, on both PC and console platforms. Now, though the AI in the original Deus Ex wasn't terrible, it has a few issues. With the dev team now increasingly aware of the AI complaints, we took to it as a challenge. This needs to be a sequel where we won't provide just a new narrative, interesting new mechanics, or a multiplayer component. We needed to make some improvements to the existing state of the series' gameplay. We had to step up our game when it came to the AI in the Deus Ex sequel.

(...)

At the time, Tim Stellmach was contemplating pursuing a career over at Activision. [2] I was lucky, I managed to catch him on the phone one afternoon, around the 18th, I think... We talked for several minutes and I tried to convince him as diplomatically as possible. I outright begged nicely at one point. [brief chuckle] Finally, Tim says to me, 'Hm, okay, Warren. I'll make plans, get myself to Austin and I'll have a look at it. At least I'll meet some of the old gang.'. By 'old gang', he of course meant the former LGS members who were helping with work on the third Thief, midway in production at the time.

I often wonder how differently Invisible War could have turned out, had I not convinced Tim to help with reworking and improving the AI. [a rather nostalgic smile] He previously did some work on the first game, but until I called him, everyone was convinced him working together with former LGS employees or the team at Austin was already a thing of the past..."

- Warren Spector, excerpts from a 2010 interview about the history of Deus Ex and his thoughts on the upcoming modern sequel

----

(...)

"OBJECTIVE RESULT: Typical case of 'Ion Storm Thief console port syndrome', pretty much.

CORUNDUMNitrogenCONUNDRUM: Console port syndrome ?

OBJECTIVE RESULT: Sorry, forgot you don't play the third or even fourth very often. I'm referring to the fact that both Deus Ex games to date had fairly decent XBox ports, while the the third Thief game and the rebooted one had poorer XBox ports compared to the PC versions.

GARRETTtheSNEAKSIE: I wouldn't generalise. The Invisible War console port has its issues, let's not overdo it with the praise.

OBJECTIVE RESULT: I'm not downplaying anything. It's not spotless, the port of the first game also had some issues, even if it was a surprisingly good conversion of the original.

GARRETTtheSNEAKSIE: Nevermind Deus Ex. As I'm a PC guy, I'm just glad Deadly Shadows and the reboot weren't given the consolisation treatment. Yeah, the reboot has a good few places where it feels they were compromising due to a lack of time, but it's still better than what the console crowd got. And the XBox version of Deadly Shadows, though it wasn't as bad, still doesn't hold a candle to the PC version. The loading zones inside missions annoy me the most. That's not something that belongs in a Thief game ! Nice-looking extra loading screens, I'll give 'em that, but otherwise, bleh. I suppose PC taffers can rest easy that we dodged a bullet there." [3]

- from a discussion thread in the Thief section of the ThroughTheLookingGlass.com fan forums, April 2008

----

"One of the hardest things with bringing the rebooted Thief into a more modern setting, with a more typical "urban fantasy" bent, was rethinking Garrett's methods of progression and evasion. Though we wanted to keep the broad spirit of the original trilogy in place, some shaking up of the stealth options available to the player was obvious and inevitable. From early on, once we were pretty sure the game will get made with a bit of effort put into it, we knew he couldn't be shooting moss arrows again. We knew the players deserved more options than just hiding from sentries, or running to hide from guards once spotted, until they cool down. With the revamped lore behind the game and all the narrative ideas we threw around, the idea of Garrett entering the shadow world as part of the gameplay was something that fascinated us from the start.

Obviously, you have to think about the ramifications of such a design decision on the rest of the mechanics... We quickly realised that if Garrett had little to no restrictions on abusing the dagger-derived powers for entering the shadow world, the game would become no fun, or just end up as a power fantasy. We didn't want things to end like that. Not with Thief's pedigree in mind. After an evening of spitballing ideas in the office, we decided to make that brand new ability a double-edged sword. Not to the point of discouraging a player entirely from using it, but still give him enough pause for thought every time he was tempted to do so. Yes, Garrett can effectivelly become invisible and moving around a space can become a piece of cake. But the longer you stay inside the shadow world, or the more you harm or kill guards and civilians in the real world, the greater the repercussions. The shadow world will begin hunting you, dogging you. If you overdo your antics, you'll pay the price.

At its core, it's very intuitive gameplay logic, in typical Thief series tradition. Players are encouraged to get immersed by the thin line between narrative and gameplay. This allows them to react and adopt tactics in a very natural way, even though the mechanics they're utilising are decidedly supernatural or outright horror-tinged in places."

- Jordan Thomas, excerpt from the article "Thief: Dagger of Ways postmortem", Gamasutra, 2006

----

"I'll be perfectly honest, the decision to go ahead with the development of Division 9 was one of the hardest in Irrational Games' history. At that point, with SWAT 4 and its expansion published to a great reception, we were sure the time had come to move over to bigger budget development. BioShock represented an obvious new chapter in Irrational's history, as the last three years have shown. [4] But at that time, there was plenty of uncertainty for both us and the Canberra team too. Bluntly put, we didn't have a f***ing pot to piss in.

We needed some extra income until BioShock could come out. Publishers were expecting some prototypes, we made what we could with the resources at the time... The Thief reboot was coming out, Ion Storm was starting to go under... Though we felt it would be odd for us to sort of compete with our traditional affiliates, I eventually gave my blessing for the project. The day after, I already felt it was the foolhardiest decision I've done in nearly a decade of leading the studio. But I was confident we could do this. Attempt it, at least. It was a project on the side, with most of the effort focused on BioShock anyway. I'm still surprised we made the decisions we did, given the very limited time left to a potential release. It's no secret we reused some basic SWAT 4 assets for Division 9 wherever we could, but still worked hard on giving the game a unique gameplay and atmosphere. Yes, it would try to pose a bit of competition to Dagger of Ways, or the likes of Condemned, but we were adamant about not aping either. By far the best decision we did in early active development was to ditch zombies and other... you know, clichéd undead... as the monsters in the game, the primary threats.

To this day, I'm as stumped as anyone else that the game made at least an average profit, even if it was quite obviously destined for a cult following at best. 2K almost gave us hell for the game underperforming. With BioShock becoming the success we were hoping for just half a year later, Division 9 quickly slipped off their radar. We thankfully managed to bury the hatchet. Still, it was a tense few months, and I'm hopeful our team members will never have to work under such strict demanding deadlines again, anytime soon. Considering the circumstances Division 9 was created in, I suppose I can say we did our absolute best, time constraints be damned. Looking at what trends are popular in the industry now, aside from aping BioShock, we're still surprised at the influence Division 9 has left. No one could have anticipated that these... base-building, tactical survival horrors... [an IG colleague is heard laughing in the background over the struggle to label the genre] would be a growing thing now..."

- Ken Levine, Irrational Behaviour podcast, episode 1: "The Old Irrational Times: Tales of Vengeance", March 2010 [5]

----

Notes:
[1] - this is the POD. Norden takes a good hard look at the PS2 specs, notices the 4 MB RAM limits, and quickly realises Ion Storm would have to do plentiful chopping to make a PS2 port for Deus Ex. As the ATL interview with Spector highlights, their effort to convince Eidos about the Microsoft XBox deal almost didn't happen, so this ATL wasn't exactly smooth sailing from the start.
[2] - in OTL, Tim Stellmach had worked on the first two Thief games, including much of the complex AI stuff and some of the level design, and then went on to work for a while at Ion Storm Austin on the first Deus Ex. He eventually went to work for a subsidiary of Activision in 2003, before moving on again to Harmonix around the mid 2000s, and elsewhere. Currently, he's been reunited with some former LGS colleagues and they're working on Underworld Ascendant, a spiritual sequel to the famous Ultima Underworld spinoff games that LGS developed for the Ultima series in the early 1990s.
[3] - Thief : Deadly Shadows is almost exactly identical to its OTL counterpart, but one of the minor divergences are some technical tweaks. Unlike in OTL, the PC version utilises less loading zones for different parts of the city and the main missions themselves. The XBox version keeps the extended number of loading zones though, something that both versions kept in OTL due to development time constraints.
[4] - BioShock has a few differences in this ATL, but it's not unrecognisable and is still a massive success. While I won't focus too much on these differences, I plan to revisit the topic in some of the later chapters.
[5] - second podcast episode overall. The ATL equivalent of "Introducing Irrational Behaviour" came out in January 2010 just like in OTL, under that same name. However, content-wise, it was more of a clear-cut prologue episode compared to the OTL version, focusing on IG's staff members past participation in Thief, and their work on the second System Shock and the Freedom Force RPGs. The ATL episode 1, from March, focuses on the development of Tribes: Vengeance, SWAT 4 and the unmade-in-OTL Division 9 (though the ATL version is different from what was planned in OTL). The latter two games ran on the "Vengeance" engine (an Unreal 2 derivative), hence the episode name.

Last edited: