Could Greater Finland survive a WAllied victory without the USSR?

In a scenario where the USSR is defeated in WW2, but the Western Allies still defeat Germany years later (Finland is neutral again at this point), would they allow Finland to keep the territories it took from the Soviet Union? If it survives, the SU would be very weak, so I guess it'd be up to the WA to decide. If the SU breaks apart then Russia would be even weaker.

On one side, Finland wasn't part of the Axis, and I imagine they'd go back to neutrality once they get the territory they wanted. Also the WA didn't like the Soviets, they were situational allies, so with a bit of foresight I think they'd like to weaken the communists while they have the chance. This region (Kola peninsula) was very important to the Soviets so it'd be a huge blow for them if they lose it.

On the other side, the SU was a very important ally and they fought the Nazis directly, it's only fair to give them back their pre-war borders.

What if Finland helps the Allies once the tide turns? Would it be enough? What if they want to join in exchange of keeping their new borders?

Last edited:
A USSR defeated is a USSR no more, I'd imagine. Given the plans of the Nazis, Generalplan OST, I doubt there'd be any semblance of a unified national identity West of the Urals to form a coherent nationstate such as Russia to demand territories back from Finland. So think it's important for your question to deliniate when do the Allies eventual defeat Germany. Is it 1945, '46, '47?
Also if Finland is granted Greater Finland, they'd likely be seen as a accomplices defacto to the ethnic cleansing of Slavs from their new territories. That wouldnt be looked too kindly upon by the WA

I think they would let them keep those areas, mainly because there's zero interest in dislodging Finland from those and Finland would never help out the Nazis against anybody but the Soviets.

The western allies largely sympathized with Finland in the Winter War. Early in WW2 the general public was quite open about that. Later on they had to downplay the issue because the Soviets were allies, and Britain made a token declaration of war in response to diplomatic pressure from the USSR.
A USSR defeated is a USSR no more, I'd imagine. Given the plans of the Nazis, Generalplan OST, I doubt there'd be any semblance of a unified national identity West of the Urals to form a coherent nationstate such as Russia to demand territories back from Finland. So think it's important for your question to deliniate when do the Allies eventual defeat Germany. Is it 1945, '46, '47?
Even if the Red Army rolled nothing but natural ones, I seriously doubt the Nazis would be able to complete Oberplan Ost before mushroom clouds start appearing over Germany.

Last edited:
Probably Finland is allowed to keep its conquests. Soviets/whatever takes place of Russian reichkomissariets has not power to demand or even take these back. And Finland would be ready to fight over East Karelia and Kola. And Finland was not too bad relations with Wallies during WW2 anyway. And Britain and USA don't want confront Finland too much. It is too important as at least neutral friend.

But Wallies anyway might begin demand Finland treat Russian minority better if then government doesn't decide do that itself.