Cobain Continues Redone: A Kurt Cobain Survives Timeline

October 30, 2019-From The Hollywood Reporter:

"Studio Chief Summit: All 7 Top Film Executives, One Room, Nothing Off-Limits (and No Easy Answers)," by Matthew Belloni

For the first time, Warner Bros. Toby Emmerich, Paramount's Jim Gianopulos, Disney's Meryl Poster, Universal's Donna Langley, Sony's Tom Rothman, Springbok's Jennifer Todd and Blockbuster Entertainment's Scott Stuber gather to debate streaming ratings, movie star value, China censorship, onscreen violence and the future of a fraught movie business.

By most accounts, the traditional film business is under siege. Blockbuster Entertainment has commodified the moviegoing experience, placing an increasing premium on the "theatricality" of studio product — meaning films that people will actually pay money to see in theaters. That, in turn, has created a Dickensian economy of the haves (pre-branded gotta-see blockbusters, dominated by Disney) and the have-nots (with exceptions, the rest of studio slates, which fight for audience scraps every weekend). By some estimates, the "Big Six" studios, which shrank to five this year with Disney's absorption of 20th Century Fox, will atrophy even further in the next five years, replaced by Blockbuster— perhaps giving new life to traditional studios not as theatrical distributors but as verdant farms for streaming content. Where does that leave the people who actually make the films? At this fraught moment, The Hollywood Reporter gathered for the first time the seven executives who now run the "majors": the Big Five, the massive production company and conglomerate Springbok Productions (already having grown to a size comparable to the majors) plus Blockbuster, which releases many more films per year than its traditional rivals. What's notable is how intertwined these executives are. Meryl Poster, 55, chief creative officer and co-chairman of Walt Disney Studios, formerly ran Miramax Films, becoming known as the only woman that could say no to Harvey Weinstein. Warner Bros. film chairman Toby Emmerich, 56, once led sister label New Line Cinema, which is still under the main control of founder Robert Shaye and his longtime partner Michael Lynne. New Line is where current Universal filmed entertainment group chairman Donna Langley, 51, got her start, and for years at Universal she worked alongside Scott Stuber, 50, who now heads film for Blockbuster Entertainment, under the leadership of content officer Ted Sarandos. Paramount chairman and CEO Jim Gianopulos, 67, once ran the Fox studio alongside Tom Rothman, 64, who now serves as chairman of Sony's Motion Picture Group, under the leadership of Amy Pascal, who has held her position since 1996, and co-CEO Tony Vinciquerra. They joined Springbok CEO Jennifer Todd, 50, for a candid conversation Oct. 14 that delved into everything from Blockbuster Entertainment viewership transparency (or lack thereof) to China censorship to on-screen violence and the changing economics of a business in transition. The discussion has been edited here for length and clarity.

Where do most bad movies go wrong these days?

MERYL POSTER: It's the screenplay. As they say, if it's not on the page it's not on the stage. We have found issues with screenplays where we were forced to move on the film because of availability of stars.

JIM GIANOPULOS: Or a [release] date.

POSTER: This is past blaming marketing, right?

ALL: (Laughter.)

TOBY EMMERICH: But of course there are good movies that don't work. And bad movies that are hits.

Fewer now, though. Unlike for most of Hollywood history, it's really hard to release a bad movie and have it be successful. Do you agree?

DONNA LANGLEY: Absolutely.

GIANOPULOS: By Thursday evening, you know the verdict. And so does everyone else. Social media lights up. It becomes an audience consensus. Right or wrong. Of course, all of us now work to really push ad buys and pressure exhibitors to get behind films if they underperform initially. Sometimes it moves the needle enough, other times, no matter what you do, it's still DOA.

LANGLEY: Five or 10 years ago, if it was a visual effects movie and it had a certain amount of spectacle, then it was anticipated it would do really well in certain parts of the world. That bar is now really high. Comedy could be, "We'll just slap it together, production values don't have to be that high." And I just don't think that's the case anymore.

TOM ROTHMAN: Nowadays, good movies aren't good enough. I am not sure you ever really got away with a movie that genuinely was a significant disappointment. But it certainly used to be that if you made a good movie, it was OK [financially]. And I don't think those of us still in the theatrical business can settle for good anymore.

EMMERICH: Also the floor has dropped. If you have a big movie with big stars, you can miss now and open to single digits.

POSTER: There is a finite amount of leisure time. So when the number of films available increases very dramatically … Scott

SCOTT STUBER: (Laughs.)

EMMERICH: Jen

JENNIFER TODD: Also … Scott

STUBER: And Meryl soon …

POSTER: … That amount of leisure time impacts choices.

GIANOPULOS: You are also working without a net. It used to be that you had this ancillary business, particularly in the heyday of [home] video, where you were filling a pipeline. There was always some amount of money that you could look to. And that's not the same anymore.

ROTHMAN: I wouldn't even say that the floor is low. I would say there is no floor. On the other hand, the ceiling is higher than it's ever been. Big hits are bigger. And big misses are bigger.

People look at the Disney strategy as what's working: releasing a smaller number of pre-branded, franchise movies. But Disney has had a lot of success remaking the library catalog. Meryl, at what point does that end? Or are we going to see the Rescuers Down Under live-action remake?

POSTER: There is no question that we, at some point, are going to run out of the kinds of films like Aladdin or Lion King. We have taken a step past that now, so Maleficent is a step away from Sleeping Beauty, Christopher Robin is a sequel to the original Winnie the Pooh stories and not a remake, and Cruella (2021) is a step away from 101 Dalmatians. But there is no question it's a finite universe. And besides, it's not this cynical, hollow cash-grab people like to accuse us and Springbok of doing. We do this because we care about the films, want to give them to a new generation, and also flesh out the stories. After all, if the vast majority of people like our work, we must be doing something right.

TODD: But don't worry, you won't be seeing things like Lady and the Tramp redone.

ROTHMAN: Thank God for small favors.

Scott, you are the elephant in the room, so to speak.

STUBER: Thank you for that. Glad I have been working out recently.

You recently said that if Blockbuster spends $60 million on a movie, to be successful it should be watched by 30 million accounts. That's the first time I have heard you talk about the success metric for a Blockbuster film. Does that formula apply across the board?

STUBER: No. Each film, like for all of us, the P&Ls are different. Having been on both sides — the theatrical business and now streaming — there is so much out there for the consumer that we are fighting for time. The assumption is that it's easier [at Blockbuster] because I don't [have box office pressure]. But we have our own tracking. We have our own anxiety. We have our own opening weekend. That was a rough estimate, but different things take different marketing aspects. Take a look at films like The Perfection, the Ted Bundy film Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile, or the soon-to-be-released Dolemite Is My Name and Marriage Story. We may have less restrictions compared to theaters, but we still are subject to MPAA guidelines for ratings, for example.

So what do you look at on Monday morning after a big film debuts on the service?

STUBER: We value over a month, basically. We look at 28 days and because we can see where things are opportunistic, we can market toward it. We can market in the second and third weeks as well. We greenlight off of X money and how much we are going to spend. And we hope that this many people watch in that 28 days. And that's our success rate metric.

Take a film like The Irishman. That's been gestating for a long time, it was at several different studios, and you took it on to release immediately on the streaming service after Paramount does three weeks in the theaters starting November 1 for about $150 million. It's three and a half hours long. What is the success metric for that film?

STUBER: There are a lot of variables. When I took the job [in 2017], I was building a new studio. We have no IP, we have no library, we can't remake things. We don't have the great cache that Meryl has over there. So you have to say, what is your opportunity? And your opportunity is filmmakers. For us to get Marty [Scorsese] at Blockbuster was a big thing. It was a big win. So that was one thing. And then the economics. We have enough subscribers that we think the movie can deliver on. Thankfully he over-delivered.

Jim, you are smiling. You effectively gave that film up by cutting out the Blu-ray market and only a limited time at the box office.

GIANOPULOS: Yeah. Well, before my time, but nevertheless. It was very ambitious for a studio to take on a project like that. There is a different perception of the economics. For us, at that level, for a period drama — or for anyone, I would submit — it was ambitious. And it was perhaps too ambitious.

EMMERICH: That's where the consumer wins. I don't think any of the studios could make that movie at that cost at that length and come out alive.

GIANOPULOS: Right.

EMMERICH: But it works for Blockbuster for the reason that Scott said.

As people who have spent your careers in the theatrical movie business, doesn't it bum you out that you can't make The Irishman?

LANGLEY: You know, it actually doesn't. It would bum me out if no one made the movie.

POSTER: That's right.

LANGLEY: That's what's really exciting about our entire ecosystem right now, even though it is giving us the headaches and sleepless nights. It's never been a better time for filmmakers and storytelling and for things to find their way into the world that were getting squeezed over the last five or six years or even longer.

EMMERICH: The only difference for us, and maybe for the average consumer — I'll bet everyone at this table wants to see The Irishman in a theater and will turn out to see it during the three-week period.

LANGLEY: Yeah.

EMMERICH: And it will be available, to some extent. Or we'll get invited to Scott's house.

STUBER: You're all invited. (Laughs.)

Jen, Springbok has really built itself up in the past 20 years as Hollywood's biggest rising success, and you've established that in a career in different branches of the entertainment industry, but especially film. What's your secret?

TODD: It certainly helps that we're always passionate about the projects we greenlight, and creative passion honestly matters more than box office or awards success. That's why for every Wolf of Wall Street or Bohemian Rhapsody, there are things like Dark Places or Brain on Fire. Does it feel nice to know that we have quite a seat at the table? Yes. But, it's the journey and not the destination for us. Our adoption of the Pixar "brain trust meetings" method certainly has helped us nurture our projects to become the best they can be. That's why so many of the best actors, writers, directors and producers have worked with us, because we're all part of the same journey. Having strong star power and strong IP are certainly nice, of course.

Is there is any movie star that is as important as strong IP?

ROTHMAN: Yeah, I think there are lots of movie stars. It's one of the great myths propagated out there that movie stars don't matter. I would say movie stars in the right role with the right property matter more than ever before.

So you would trade the Spider-Man property for every Leo DiCaprio movie for the rest of his career?

ROTHMAN: I'd love to have both.

EMMERICH: Who is he negotiating with?

ROTHMAN: Well, I can tell you this. The event nature of having Leo and Brad [Pitt] and Margot [Robbie] in [Sony's] Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was essential. You had to make a great movie … but that movie was not based on any IP at all. That is a pure original. Came out of the imagination and the headspace of one individual. Because even Disney will run out of animated movies to remake. And we have to be careful not to narrow our audience, not to think that there isn't room for originality. I think there is. In the pursuit of that, movie stars are tremendously valuable.

EMMERICH: The thing that we all sit around talking about is "theatricality." IP and movie stars are two huge ingredients. You have to have one or the other. It's even better if you have both.

Meryl and Tom, you're also known for the partnership regarding Spider-Man. What was the one thing above all else that makes sure you have Marvel producing the next Sony installment?

POSTER: The fan base, which is important to all of us, seemed to really respond to what Tom and his folks have done before with our people. They like the fact that the Marvel Cinematic Universe and Kevin Feige were involved [in the two Spider-Man films]. We heard feedback out there that suggested that joining forces once again was probably really a good idea.

Will this partnership continue after the trilogy? Tom, you've shown you can do Spider-Man without Marvel on the animated film Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse.

ROTHMAN: Yes, we have. But I agree with my distinguished colleague. This is a classic win-win-win. A win for Sony, a win for Disney, a win for the fans.

POSTER: I agree with that.

Blockbuster says it does everything to best serve the customer. But one thing that customers like is to know which movies are hits and which movies aren't. And Blockbuster has been adamant about not releasing comprehensive viewership numbers. Scott, why will Blockbuster not do that if it better serves the customer?

STUBER: We tell all the filmmakers, so the filmmakers have —

But that's not the same thing —

STUBER: I understand. Let me finish. I also think part of it is just the aspirational way that Ted [Sarandos] and Cindy [Holland] built the TV side, which Jen understands, coming from network TV. It was for television creators to get out of ratings and Standards and Practices and actually free up their narrative form so that they could tell stories that weren't [influenced] night after night by those numbers. So the methodology was right. And now, as we have grown … we are used to it.

TODD: Mm-hmm...

STUBER: We are definitely, as a company, moving more … and you will see more [viewership transparency]. We do it in some of our earnings reports, and we are going to be doing it more and more because that filmmaker and that actor and that actress want to know that their movie got out there globally in a big way.

For the rest of you, why is it important to release box office numbers?

LANGLEY: There are a number of reasons why it's helpful. It is helpful as an industry measure. It's helpful to keep us all honest. It's helpful for the creative talent for that narrative to be out there.

ROTHMAN: I can't stand it.

LANGLEY: I don't love it either.

GIANOPULOS: By the way, it's not our choice.

ROTHMAN: If you [in the media] would like to stop reporting on it, I would be very happy to stop reading about it. It reinforces [the perception] that popularity and quality go hand in hand. We are guilty too because we feed it when it suits us.

TODD: It takes you back to network television [and] the overnight ratings. When viewing habits had changed and these shows were being watched globally and were hugely popular, they were being given a report card every morning that they were DOA. Which then creates perception, and it sent a lot of shows to an early graveyard.

ROTHMAN: When we dated the Quentin [Tarantino]/Springbok movie, I knew a year in advance, because it was the second week of Lion King, that absolutely positively that movie would not [open at] No. 1. And the conversation we had with the filmmakers was "Even if we get your biggest opening ever, I promise you will not be No. 1. But I also promise you it's a great day for the movie. And we need to ignore that and put the movie on what's a good date for it."

EMMERICH: We all work for public companies. Our slates will be judged on a quarterly and an annual basis. But the short-term focus on [box office] can often not give your movie a chance. The platform release has kind of gone away, which was another way to give films a chance.

GIANOPULOS: One of the things we have to manage is expectations. The press says it's going to open to $50 million. And you open to $43 million and it's a disappointment. We never said it was going to open to 50!

Meryl, I remember when American Idol was No. 1 for many years in a row and its audience was 30 million viewers a night. The president of NBC at the time, I believe it was Jeff Zucker, said, "Someday it will not be cool to watch American Idol." Do you think about when that day comes for the Marvel or Lucasfilm movies?

POSTER: The answer is no. If the film has a compelling storyline, if it has heart and humor, two things that I insist on, and it's terrifically well executed, I think there is an audience. Star Wars has always been an evergreen property that is beloved, and the MCU is on the way to becoming that. But who knows?

25 hits in a row for Marvel is an unprecedented streak. The same with the fact that under Disney's stewardship, the Star Wars prequels and the current era have also been that big, an unbroken chain, including if you go back to the original trilogy.

POSTER: It is long. But Kevin Feige is working away. He will be making three or four a year. And so is Kathleen Kennedy at Lucasfilm in working over the film and TV properties, with something coming out in some capacity every year. And they are very different from one another, so we'll see.

GIANOPULOS: We started to notice with Avengers it was running out of steam.

EMMERICH: Especially the second one.

STUBER: What people don't give comic books credit for, is that for a giant group of us, they are literature. They are like To Kill a Mockingbird.

ROTHMAN :They are not To Kill a Mockingbird. I am sorry.

ROTHMAN: As a former English teacher … I promised I wouldn't say anything, but I have to say something now.

STUBER: I have confused the [Fox] Searchlight Tom with the Sony Tom. And Kevin, who I have known for a long time, takes them deeply seriously and understands the fan base and the nuance of those characters.

Toby, in Toronto at the premiere of Joker, one thing you mentioned stuck with me. You said, "We wanted to do something that we knew Marvel and Disney could never do." Is that how you approach the DC library?

EMMERICH: The impetus behind making Joker really came from Todd [Phillips]. But one of the advantages of being Warner Bros. and having DC is that we don't feel that all the movies have to be — not that Disney's films are — but we don't feel our films have to be of the same tone or in a connected universe. We thought making an R-rated supervillain origin story was a cool idea. We didn't see [the success] coming at this level when we greenlit the film.

There was criticism of the realistic violence in Joker, and yet it was a $900 million hit.

EMMERICH: There were a lot of misunderstandings around the history of the tragic shooting in Aurora, [Colorado, in 2012,] which happened at a Batman film. And we were certainly supersensitive to it [and the tragedy for the victims and their loved ones]. But that film and that shooting had no connection in any way to the Joker character. So we had to judge our film on its own merits. A lot of the social media comments around the film were by people who hadn't seen the film and didn't know what it was. We looked at the film really closely and did feel that it was a great film. That it was a piece of art. And we didn't think it would inspire violence. We took it to Venice, where it won the Golden Lion. And we felt comfortable releasing the film.

Jim and Tom, you were at Fox 20 years ago when Fight Club came out. There was criticism of the violence in that movie as it happened soon after Columbine. I wonder what would have happened if it had been released in the social media age?

ROTHMAN: There has always been a lot of talk about pop culture impact from films. The mere fact that everybody is on Facebook now doesn't really change that that much. To do our jobs, you've got to be a strong First Amendment advocate.

EMMERICH: Right.

ROTHMAN: But you do make moral judgments. I certainly have.

GIANOPULOS: Given the extent of gun violence in our society, there is a heightened sensitivity. There is a certain responsibility and a line. We have to define that line for our companies and for our filmmakers.

ROTHMAN: But you can't abdicate responsibility either.

As an industry, we're at a stalemate where traditional studios are releasing films in theaters and three months later they go to home video. Blockbuster is direct to home video, at times with a theatrical component, but except for certain exceptions like The Irishman, the major theater chains refuse to play those movies. When is the stalemate going to end?

STUBER: We all have to get to a place where there is opportunity and choice and more movies. It's not always one size fits all. We have to be cognizant of everyone's businesses and protect them.

Meryl, Donna and Toby, do you anticipate that changing the company position on film windows?

LANGLEY: I can't speak to that. But we all know that it's a nonstarter for the companies to have the conversation with exhibition. Our agendas are not aligned at all. And ultimately, it might be the consumer, the audience that speaks. Particularly as more content is released there. The business model may just shift to such a degree that it winds up becoming so obvious that something has to change.

POSTER: We reevaluate everything all the time, but we are committed to the theatrical window and that model has worked for us. I agree that one size doesn't fit all. I agree also that consumers would like every film available on every medium immediately.

In five or 10 years, will I be able to pay $100 and watch Avengers 10 on Blockbuster Entertainment the weekend it's in theaters?

POSTER: Right now, no. I can't predict five or 10 years from now.

Jim, you are now making movies specifically for Blockbuster-

GIANOPULOS: Every chance we get. (Laughs.)

But when you're figuring out what is a Paramount release and what is for Blockbuster, how does it not turn into an "A"- and "B"-level movie determination?

GIANOPULOS: It's a choice you make as you develop. We develop 10 or 12 properties for every movie we make. There are lots of properties where you get to a point where you talk about theatricality and you say, "Well, this movie may work. But am I going to spend $30 [million] or $40 [million] or $50 million [marketing] that to people?"

POSTER: Mm-hmm.

GIANOPULOS: Whereas if Scott wants it and both of us benefit from it, it's no different really than studios have been making [movies of the week] for the TV networks for 50 or 60 years.

POSTER: I don't see it as an A or B movie thing. It's financial.

Toby, have you thought about what a Warner Bros. movie for Blockbuster looks like?

EMMERICH: We are starting to talk about it.

STUBER: Come on, tell me!

EMMERICH: (Laughs.)

STUBER: With Jim, we made this [teen rom-com] To All the Boys I've Loved Before, which is a terrific film. There have been genres that we have lost in the theatrical business. What everyone will find in a great way [with streaming] is you open the funnel. Even Roma, right? Which on paper is a black-and-white foreign-language film, but the audience was there for it. Extremely Wicked, Shockingly Evil and Vile did quite well on the service, as did Miramax's The Perfection. We have Dolemite Is My Name and Marriage Story coming out.

POSTER: We not only have 20th Century Fox as a whole, we still have Fox Searchlight, which both of these gentlemen [Rothman and Gianopulos] know a lot about. They have won four out of the last 10 [best picture] Academy Awards. And we are backing them 100 percent because they make terrific movies with very renowned filmmakers with great casts. We also still have Fox 2000 Pictures for midbudget work, Blue Sky for animation, and Touchstone Pictures for continued work and emphasis on mature storytelling. Disney is anything and everything, in that sense, and can basically tackle any kind of film.

But not all of the Fox, Fox 2000, Touchstone and Searchlight movies will get theatrical releases, right?

POSTER: Oh, I think they will, yeah.

Let's talk about China because we have seen flare-ups in this battle between free speech and appeasing the Chinese government. What is the censorship limit for Hollywood? Meryl, the star of your upcoming Mulan picture voiced support for Hong Kong police, which sparked a #BoycottMulan movement.

POSTER: First of all, if Mulan doesn't work in China, we have a problem. But my feeling is that free speech is an important component of our society, and folks ought to be able to say what they want to say. And I can't speak for what Yifei Liu says in China, and we didn't know what she was going to say. We try to be nonpolitical. There is always an issue somewhere in the world, and China happens to be a very, very big market, but it's not the only market where there have been issues. The only thing I have said to the folks that work with me is to keep in mind that when you speak, [the media will quote you]. And that carries with it a certain responsibility. Be sensible and think before you speak. Especially on social media.

Does it bother you that your movies can't offend China?

POSTER: No. We are making movies that are designed to be seen by an appreciative audience [everywhere]. We don't wish to be political. And to get dragged into a political discussion, I would argue, is sort of inherently unfair. We are not politicians.

GIANOPULOS: I think there is also a difference between pandering and cultural sensitivity. You know, there is a big spotlight on China because of its growing global dominance and because of the limitations on press and freedoms in the country. But Malaysia, other parts of the world, India, we have been censoring movies for years [there] just to address the concerns of individual markets. When you do it in China it becomes pandering.

Donna, Fast & Furious is so big there, I'm guessing there won't be a Chinese villain in a future Fast movie.

LANGLEY: We run a business. We have to be sensitive to important markets.

You've all done this a long time. What's the one movie that you are particularly proud that you got made? Jim and Tom, you can't say Titanic or Avatar.

GIANOPULOS: Why not?

LANGLEY: Yeah, why not?

Because that's what I would think you would say.

STUBER: Pair of aces right there.

LANGLEY: Yeah, those weren't easy greenlights.

GIANOPULOS: I would say commercially Deadpool, and creatively Slumdog Millionaire, which [Tom and I] did together.

ROTHMAN: The one I am most proud of is actually a movie called Master and Commander (2003). Peter Weir said no to me three different times. And I chased that movie for 14 years.

EMMERICH: Wow.

ROTHMAN: And I had to become the head of a studio with this gentleman to my right to be able to do it. Also, just last week I went to see Moulin Rouge! on Broadway. And I was sitting there looking at the aesthetic of it and seeing the audience response to it. And my daughter was next to me; she was just in her teens.

GIANOPULOS: It's funny you say that because I showed [my kids] when they were younger, and they didn't get it. Now they do.

ROTHMAN: It was insane to do that at the time.

LANGLEY: I just rewatched it. It's bonkers.

ROTHMAN: And I remember standing on the set in Sydney begging Baz [Luhrmann] to roll film. "Let's go, roll it!"

GIANOPULOS: "You have to finish!" (Laughs.)

LANGLEY: It's such a good movie. A movie that I am proud of — Scott was around for it — is United 93, Paul Greengrass' movie. The first movie I advocated to greenlight as president of production. It was a movie we knew not many people would go and see. And we had a screening of it at the Ziegfeld Theater with all of the [victims'] families. It was so powerful and so cathartic. On the complete other end of the spectrum, the other movie I am really proud of from a commercial standpoint was Mamma Mia! There were a lot of people [at the studio] who didn't love Abba as much as I did.

STUBER: I was around. She did love Abba. That was all Donna.

EMMERICH: We're about to start shooting the Elvis Presley movie with Baz in Australia. And just listening to Tom's story I envision myself in Australia saying, "Baz, roll! Please roll!"

LANGLEY: Just put him on the phone with Tom.

EMMERICH: For me the one that comes to mind just because it's happening right now, and I think Donna might have even been around when this movie started — we started developing in 1998 — was Motherless Brooklyn.

LANGLEY: Yes. Yes. Yes.

EMMERICH: Ed Norton persevered and we just had the premiere in New York at the New York Film Festival closing night. Just to say, "Wow, we worked on this for 20 years and we actually did it," is very satisfying.

Jen, you've been around for a while in film, but what about a meaningful show?

TODD: I certainly feel that a lot of the shows we've done are meaningful, especially series like BoJack Horseman, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Westworld. I also can speak for experience about Jeff Robinov, who Toby took over from. He'd have said the best work might have been things like The Dark Knight, making sure Harry Potter was done right.

POSTER: In my long career, I look back with great affection at Kevin Smith's first film, Clerks. I look back at Good Will Hunting and The Cider House Rules. I loved my time at Miramax and always will. And at Disney we are all very proud of Black Panther and Captain Marvel because they ventured into areas that were not ventured into before.

EMMERICH: I am now feeling like a real underachiever. (Laughs.)

STUBER: Two that stick out. I would have never dreamed what Donna and these guys have done with Fast & Furious, but when we [first] did it I was a young executive and Kevin Misher bought an article and said go do it. What was fun about it was watching all of that talent have their first hit together. On the flip side, what was great for me with The Irishman last weekend at the New York Film Festival was being with those icons and seeing Bob and Al and Joe and Marty. Just being around it I felt like a little kid.

POSTER: So great.

Is there one that got away? Something you regret passing on?

GIANOPULOS: The 300 that [Warner Bros.] made. We had a narrow window to [make it]. And that was like a story my grandmother used to tell me as a little kid. She always told me Greek myth stories.

POSTER: It's so interesting you'd say 300.

GIANOPULOS: I was so close to it that I thought we should do it for real. And I saw this comic book, the [Frank] Miller book, and I thought, "Oh come on, you can't do it like that." I thought Ridley Scott should do it like Gladiator. When Zack Snyder came in, I said, "Are there swords in this movie?" Yes. "Are there sandals? Arrows?" Yes. "Shields?" Yes. I said, "Come on, we just did Troy 20 minutes ago. How are we going to do that?"

LANGLEY: It wasn't obvious until it was obvious.

Last edited:
November 1, 2019-Terminator: Dark Fate opens to largely positive reviews, praising the return of Linda Hamilton as Sarah Connor and Arnold Schwarzenegger in his titular role. The use of clips from the original two movies during the opening credits and Sarah recounting her story to the new guard of characters is considered a nice touch. There is some criticism for an early scene set in 1998, during which John Connor is paralyzed from the waist down while Sarah flails about and seemingly disables a T-800 that took the shot, moving John, and Edward Furlong's return to the role, as largely a side character who has to coordinate from a distance, while new protagonists Grace and Dani are considered able to stand on their own with Sarah, and Gabriel Luna's Rev-9 is praised an intriguing antagonist, though some consider him too reminiscent of Robert Patrick's T-1000. The film also earns $550 million during its run, able to make a modest profit and surprisingly hold its own against Joker, as did the Brad Pitt vehicle Ad Astra, which Springbok financed, and managed to earn $300 million. The Irishman opens in theaters everywhere for its limited three-week run on this day as well, where it receives unanimous praise, but only pulls in $45 million during the theatrical run, which is not worrying, as the Blockbuster Entertainment streaming run should help it make up the difference.

November 8, 2019-Mike Flanagan's adaptation of Doctor Sleep, Stephen King's sequel to The Shining, which Springbok helped finance, opens to largely positive reviews and manages to make $150 million in its run.

November 14, 2019-From Variety:

"Rian Johnson, Ram Bergman Expand T-Street With Producer Trio," by Dave McNary

Rian Johnson and Ram Bergman are expanding their T-Street Productions with Lucasfilm veterans Kiri Hart and Stephen Feder, along with Ben LeClair.

Johnson is best known for directing and writing 2017’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi, which Bergman produced with Kathleen Kennedy. The duo is teamed via T-Street on the upcoming Knives Out, starring Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas and Jamie Lee Curtis. Hart, Feder and LeClair will serve as producers for T-Street.

Johnson and Bergman said, “We wanted T-Street to be a place where filmmakers would feel supported throughout the entire process. That thinking led us to Kiri, Stephen and Ben, who we’ve been lucky enough to work with in different capacities over the years. They are not only experienced producers committed to taking the best possible care of filmmakers and their projects, they also happen to be really good people who share our passion for making movies.”

Hart most recently served as Lucasfilm’s senior vice president of development from 2012-2018. She formed the Lucasfilm Story Group and oversaw the creative development of all “Star Wars” content across film, animated television, publishing, gaming, immersive media and theme parks. Hart co-produced Star Wars: The Last Jedi and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and was a producer on all four seasons of Star Wars Rebels.

Feder most recently served as vice president of film development at Lucasfilm, reporting to Hart. Prior to joining Lucasfilm, Feder was the senior vice president of production and development at Annapurna Pictures, where he oversaw production and distribution for Richard Linklater’s Everybody Wants Some!!, Wong Kar-Wai’s The Grandmaster and Harmony Korine’s Spring Breakers.

LeClair most recently had a first-look deal with Blumhouse Television, and last year was nominated by Film Independent for the Piaget Producers Award. Prior to Blumhouse, he produced The Lovers for A24; Woodshock, written and directed by Kate and Laura Mulleavy; and the self-distributed film Upstream Color. LeClair’s other producing credits include Mike White’s Year of the Dog; The English Teacher, starring Julianne Moore; and Jared Hess’ comedy Gentlemen Broncos.

T-Street launched earlier this year with an investment from Valence Media, which holds a minority equity stake in the studio. T-Street also signed a first-look deal for film and television with Valence Media’s independent studio MRC.

November 15, 2019-Icon Productions announces that the film adaptation of The Dreamstone, which will be animated, is coming down the pike for 2021.

Last edited:
November 20, 2019-From Variety:

20th Century Fox's Roller Coaster First Year Under Disney

Among the notable stories in Hollywood this year was the fact that 2019 marked the first year 20th Century Fox and its various sister divisions were officially attached to The Walt Disney Company. With their numbers part of Disney's overall financial health, it was remained to be seen how much the studio was a fit for its new parent. And indeed, while there was certainly hit success, nothing on the Fox side was the kind of breakaway hit Disney may be used to, and there were certainly some very notable flops.

Fox's first year under Disney hit the ground running with the release of the long-awaited Alita: Battle Angel on Valentine's Day, where it amassed a modest profit. Fox 2000 Pictures' faith-based drama Breakthrough similarly was modestly successful, mainly because of its small budget. Afterwards, though, there seemed to be a continual string of failures. Fox Searchlight Pictures started the marking of its 25th anniversary with the biopic Tolkien, which no one warmed to. The buddy comedy Stuber, starring Dave Bautista, was completely ignored. Natalie Portman's astronaut drama Lucy in the Sky, produced by Reese Witherspoon, failed to soar and didn't even get out of the six-digit range in the box office. The Art of Racing in the Rain was a shameless reach for the "dog movie" audience that not even Kevin Costner as the narrating dog could attract. But the biggest failure undoubtedly was Dark Phoenix, the effective end of Fox's X-Men franchise. Critics and moviegoers alike savaged the film mercilessly, and the movie induced massive losses of $120 million. It was such a misstep that Disney announced that a number of Fox properties still in-development were now under review and talks of reshuffling the release schedule plans made the wires. Already prior to this, Disney had done a reshuffling of certain film releases under their own banner, such as moving their adaptation of Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl back a year.

Fox seemed to then reestablish its footing. The indie horror Ready or Not was a critical smash and made back five times its budget. Taika Waititi's "anti-hate satire" Jojo Rabbit received mostly positive reviews and also entered in the black, though by a more modest amount. Brad Pitt's sci-fi drama Ad Astra similarly managed to hold its own, even after its ticket sales dipped considerably after the opening of Joker, with a healthy $300 million. Fox/Disney also handles the international distribution and profits of Terminator: Dark Fate, which while not mirroring the massive unparalleled success of the original two films, is cementing its place alongside them and achieving Alita-level profits. (This gives not only Fox a major win, but also domestic distributor Paramount, badly in need of one after the recent Ang Lee-directed action movie Gemini Man, starring Will Smith as a former government assassin battling a younger clone of himself, failed miserably.) And then there is James Mangold's Ford v Ferrari, which is riding to massive critical buzz and has already passed the $100 million mark, and still climbing. Clearly, things are looking back on track, though there will still undoubtedly be flops, perhaps eclipsing the status of Dark Phoenix to come, and Disney is considering potentially switching some properties to forgo theatrical release and go straight to Blockbuster Entertainment. Already, Disney has been mulling reboots or doing something with Fox IPs like Home Alone, Cheaper by the Dozen, Night at the Museum and Diary of a Wimpy Kid as exclusives for the service.

While Fox seems to be getting over its initial growing pains with Disney and finding its rhythm, the road ahead could very easily still be quite bumpy, and plans will have to be adjusted accordingly. It also remains to be seen what Disney plans to do, exactly, with massive Fox IPs like Alien, Predator, and Planet of the Apes, even if they have stressed that they will continue. Fox has two last major releases for 2019 coming up, the Springbok-produced Clint Eastwood film Richard Jewell (a co-release by another Disney division, Touchstone Pictures), which will open on December 13, and Blue Sky Animation's Spies in Disguise, starring Will Smith and Tom Holland, which will open on Christmas Day. The numbers on that could also help make the picture come into clearer focus.

For 2020, Fox/Disney will have Josh Boone's The New Mutants, the official end of the X-Men franchise, Fox 2000's adaptation of The Woman in the Window starring Amy Adams, Shawn Levy's Free Guy starring Ryan Reynolds and Taika Waititi, an adaptation of The Call of the Wild starring Harrison Ford, the Kingsmen prequel The King's Man starring Ralph Fiennes, Underwater starring Kristen Stewart, Kenneth Branagh following up his adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express with a version of Death on the Nile, Steven Spielberg and Springbok's remake of West Side Story, and two more Springbok projects. These include Ridley Scott's The Last Duel, written by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, co-produced by their Pearl Street Films banner with Scott Free Productions and Springbok, and starring them as well as Adam Driver and Jodie Comer, about the last legally recognized duel in France in the year 1386, which has been slated for a limited release on Christmas Day 2020 and a wide release on January 8, 2021. The other project is Deep Water, an adaptation of the Patricia Highsmith novel of the same name, starring Affleck and Ana de Armas, directed by Adrian Lyne, and co-produced by Regency Enterprises/New Regency, for a release on November 13, 2020. Beyond that, Locksmith Animation's Ron's Gone Wrong will come in 2021, as is Fox Searchlight's release of Guillermo del Toro's adaptation of Nightmare Alley, and the future Avatar sequels, as well as potential Alita and Terminator sequels will also dominate the years ahead, especially on off years without a Star Wars film to release.

Last edited:
November 27, 2019-Springbok finally confirms reports that it is producing Christopher Nolan's upcoming espionage thriller Tenet, out for release by Warner Bros. in June.

December 1, 2019-Springbok theatrical head Leonard Soloway gives an explanation as to why the company passed on working on Universal's upcoming film adaptation of Cats. "Simply put, all of us thought that it was unfilmable, and that there simply was no way to do something on the big screen for a story so slight. Naturally, the fact that they decided to transform it into a book musical, stuff it with cringe-inducing jokes, and a bizarre visual aesthetic basically confirmed everything that went into our minds when we saw that there was nothing to be done with the musical."

December 3, 2019-After years of development hell, Springbok is finally in the midst of production of the proposed shows under the first-look deal with Universal Content Productions made four years earlier. Diblings, The One, Pandora and Mythos will all start premiering over a spread of time in 2020 and 2021.

December 4, 2019-From a press release:

ViacomCBS Announces Completion of the Merger of CBS and Viacom

NEW YORK–ViacomCBS Inc. (Nasdaq: VIACA, VIAC) (“ViacomCBS”) today announced the completion of the merger between CBS Corporation and Viacom Inc. The combined company, which is renamed ViacomCBS, creates a premium content powerhouse with global scale, including leadership positions in markets across the U.S., Europe, Latin America and Asia.

“This is a historic moment that brings together two iconic companies to form one of the world’s most important content producers and providers,” said Bob Bakish, President and Chief Executive Officer of ViacomCBS. “Through the combination of CBS’s and Viacom’s complementary assets, capabilities and talented teams, ViacomCBS will create and deliver premium content for its own platforms and for others, while providing innovative solutions for advertisers and distributors globally. I am excited about the opportunity we have to serve our audiences, creative and commercial partners, and employees, while generating significant long-term value for our shareholders.”

Building on an extraordinary collection of culture-defining franchises and partnerships with creative talent around the world, ViacomCBS will be home to more than 140,000 premium TV episodes and 3,600 film titles, with global production capabilities and more than $13 billion in annual content investment. The company will account for 22% of TV viewership in the U.S. and hold the highest share of broadcast and cable viewing across key audience demographics, with strength in all categories, including News, Sports, General Entertainment, Pop Culture, Comedy, Music and Kids.

Through the strength and scale of these assets, ViacomCBS will be well-equipped to maximize the value of its content for its own platforms and for others, as it meets the growing global demand for third-party premium content. The company’s content scale will support a robust streaming strategy, including ViacomCBS’s own suite of advertising and subscription-based offerings. In addition, the company’s broad reach, extensive intellectual property portfolio and expertise in advanced marketing solutions will enable it to strengthen its partnerships with distributors and advertisers globally.

ViacomCBS Class A and Class B shares will begin trading on the Nasdaq Global Select Market on December 5, 2019 under the ticker symbols “VIACA” and “VIAC”, respectively.

As previously announced, as a result of the merger, each Viacom Class A share and Viacom Class B share converted into 0.59625 of a Class A share and Class B share of ViacomCBS, respectively. Holders of CBS Class A shares and CBS Class B shares will continue to own their existing shares, which are now shares of ViacomCBS.

ViacomCBS will have an attractive growth outlook, be positioned to deliver beneficial cost and revenue synergies and generate substantial free cash flow. This will sustain significant investment in programming and innovation, as well as support ViacomCBS’s commitment to a modest dividend payment. ViacomCBS will also benefit from a strong balance sheet, solid investment grade rating and a board and management team that are focused on creating shareholder value.

About ViacomCBS
ViacomCBS (NASDAQ: VIAC; VIACA) is a leading global media and entertainment company that creates premium content and experiences for audiences worldwide. Driven by iconic consumer brands, its portfolio includes CBS, Showtime Networks, Paramount Pictures, Nickelodeon, MTV, Comedy Central, BET, Pluto TV and Simon & Schuster, among others. The company delivers the largest share of the U.S. television audience and boasts one of the industry’s most important and extensive libraries of TV and film titles. In addition to offering innovative streaming services and digital video products, ViacomCBS provides powerful capabilities in production, distribution and advertising solutions for partners on five continents.

Last edited:
December 8, 2019-Cobain does a solo acoustic benefit performance for Shriners Hospitals for Children.

December 13, 2019-Richard Jewell opens to significant praise from the critics, calling it Clint Eastwood's best film in years, which does nothing to keep him from disavowing the finished product, not even when it nets a $75 million box office. Bombshell, Jay Roach's film of the Fox News sexual harassment scandals, has a harder time, receiving mixed critical reception for the script and direction, though Theron, Nicole Kidman, and Margot Robbie's performances are highly praised, and only reaches the break even point of $40 million.

December 16, 2019-Frances Cobain does a special performance at KROQ's Almost Acoustic Christmas.

December 20, 2019-Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker opens to generally positive reviews and an absolute ecstatic reception by the audiences, pushing the film to gross $375 million in the first two days, ensuring yet another profitable film, the end of the Skywalker saga, and the turning point for a new era in the future.

December 21, 2019-From Variety:

"ViacomCBS Sets $375 Million Deal for 49% Stake in Miramax," by Cynthia Littleton

ViacomCBS has reached a deal to acquire a 49% stake in Miramax from Qatar-based owner beIN Media Group for a total of $375 million.

The deal calls for ViacomCBS to pay $150 million in cash up front, plus a commitment to invest $45 million a year for five years to fund new film and TV projects and working capital. ViacomCBS’ Paramount Pictures gets an exclusive long-term deal for worldwide distribution rights to Miramax’s projects. The partners will also work together on developing new projects and reboots and revivals of titles from the Miramax vault, with special permission from The Walt Disney Company, who still own the physical library and distribution of the original Miramax from 1980-2001. Disney also allows the same rights for Paramount/beIN Media to the same for "spiritually Miramax" titles made during 2001-2010 (when Disney spun off the Miramax name) under their Touchstone Pictures division.

“Miramax is a renowned global studio, responsible for some of the most iconic films of the last three decades, including Pulp Fiction, Good Will Hunting, Chasing Amy and more,” said Bob Bakish, president-CEO of ViacomCBS. “This partnership with beIN will be a unique opportunity to gain access to a valuable library, deepening our already substantial pool of IP at a time when demand for premium content is only accelerating. We look forward to working closely with the Miramax management team as we explore new ways to deliver its titles across a variety of platforms and create new, compelling projects.”

beIN Media Group chairman Nasser Al-Khelaifi said the sale is not a retrenchment from Hollywood but a reinforcement of the company’s desire to grow its entertainment operations. beIN Media assets began as the sports arm of Al Jazeera but the company is now a separate entity. beIN Media acquired Miramax from private equity owners in 2016. The company sees the ViacomCBS deal as a win in bringing in a partner with strategic assets that can grow the company while still allowing beIN Media to retain a slim majority and controlling stake. beIN Media is said to have an appetite for additional content acquisitions.

This represents a major investment in and endorsement of our thriving Miramax business, which has grown in value under beIN Media Group’s ownership and has a fantastic future ahead with major new movies and unexploited premium dramas,” Al-Khelaifi said. “We are thrilled to partner with ViacomCBS and Paramount to explore further opportunities around Miramax’s iconic IP, and also at Group level; while substantially increasing the scale of our entertainment business. This deal further underlines beIN’s ambitions on the global stage – we are very proud to have established ourselves as one of the leading groups in sport, entertainment and media.”

The partners said beIN Media intends to retain the remaining 51% of Miramax. The studio’s current management team headed by film biz veteran Bill Block will continue to lead the company. The deal is expected to close in the first quarter of next year.

Miramax had been dormant for years amid the effects of Harvey Weinstein's fall from grace and the ownership shuffles, but under Block’s direction the studio resurfaced in a noticeable way with films like Mr. Holmes, The Wedding Ringer, Southside With You, The Perfection, Jay and Silent Bob Reboot (which was also released by DreamWorks Pictures and distributed by Disney's Touchstone Pictures, the 20th film in a long-standing 30-film pact Disney and Steven Spielberg made in 2009), and successful relaunch of the Halloween horror franchise. Up next, Miramax has the family drama Uncle Frank set to premiere at Sundance next month and crime dramedy The Gentlemen, starring Matthew McConaughey and Hugh Grant, also bowing next month. Gentlemen is the first of a two-picture pact with director Guy Ritchie.

Moelis & Co.’s Carlos Jimenez and David Eisman and Glen Mastroberte in the entertainment unit of Skadden Arps represented BeIN Media Group in the sale. Guggenheim Securities and O’Melveny & Myers represented ViacomCBS.

Last edited:
December 23, 2019-From The New York Times:

"On an Old West Set, Trying to Create Hollywood's Future", by Brooks Barnes

Rideback Ranch is an attempt by one of the entertainment industry’s leading producers to find a new way to develop ideas for movies and TV shows.

A gnarled buffalo hide hangs inside “the barn,” a cavernous room furnished with sofas and long tables. A secret passageway leads to an old-fashioned saloon where whiskey bottles line the wooden shelves and the bar stools are actual saddles. Antlers and antique rifles adorn the walls.

A cowboy maxim greets visitors: “Everybody in. Everybody forward. Everybody up.”

This is Rideback Ranch and, in some ways, it feels like a movie set, perhaps one built for Leonardo DiCaprio’s Old West scenes in Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood. But the two-year-old complex in a gentrifying area of Los Angeles called Filipinotown is actually an attempt by one of the entertainment industry’s leading producers, Dan Lin, to find a new way to develop ideas for movies and TV shows.

Rideback is a communal work space for Hollywood writers and producers. Mr. Lin calls it “a new kind of production hub — a community in service of creativity.”

His credits include blockbusters like Aladdin, It and The Lego Movie. He was the producing force behind The Two Popes, a $40 million comedic drama about Vatican succession that arrives on Blockbuster Entertainment on Friday. The Two Popes, nominated for four Golden Globes, including one for best drama, is expected to be a major contender at the Academy Awards.

But how does Mr. Lin keep the hits coming?

The challenges include labor unrest; screenwriters fired their agents en masse in April and the major agencies and the Writers Guild of America are fighting each other in court. The streaming boom led by Blockbuster has created a glut of content (495 scripted original series in 2018, an 85 percent increase from 2011), increasing the pressure to come up with concepts that can break through. Film studios are leaning harder on franchises to coax people into buying tickets, but many properties, including the four-film Lego series, have already been overworked.

Mr. Lin is betting that Rideback will strengthen and accelerate the creative process. It is a Hollywood twist on WeWork, the shared office space company. Mr. Lin said he was also inspired by Pixar’s “brain trust” sessions, in which directors and writers candidly critique one another’s work, by the success of Hollywood's biggest and most recent success story, Springbok Productions (who co-produced the recent Guy Ritchie-helmed Aladdin with Rideback) and by The Medici Effect, Frans Johansson’s 2004 book about the ignition of the Renaissance.

“If you put a bunch of creative people from different backgrounds into one space, something magical will happen,” Mr. Lin said. “Studio lots used to be just that. You would walk around and everyone would be there. But studio lots aren’t as much fun anymore. They can feel corporate. Springbok has made that concept work over the last 20 years, but why should they be the only ones? There's plenty of room for new players, and Springbok has definitely even said as much, which is part of why they're happy to work and commune with us.”

Mr. Lin has 15 employees of his own. They work on the Rideback campus, where they are focused on finding a way forward for the Lego series, most likely with a new studio partner. (Universal is one option.) Other front-burner projects include an Aladdin sequel and a television spinoff for Blockbuster; Lethal Weapon 5, with Mel Gibson and Danny Glover signed up to return; movies based on Cirque du Soleil shows; and a remake of the TV series Walker, Texas Ranger.

He also leases space to the actress Margot Robbie for her LuckyChap production company, which was founded in 2014 thanks to some seed money from Springbok. Mr. Lin and Ms. Robbie are collaborating on Barbed Wire Heart, a film adaptation of Tess Sharpe’s crime novel. Other Rideback tenants include the DCEU writers' room member David Ayer, two animation companies (Warner Animation Group, Animal Logic) and the Conner literary agency. About 100 people work at Rideback in total.

The complex has “artists in residence” like Adam Ward, who creates sculptures made of Lego bricks. The saloon is used for nighttime events, like panel discussions and mixers.

Rideback also has three script-development programs. An “incubator,” for instance, operates from the barn and is sponsored by MRC, an entertainment company with credits like Knives Out, Ted, House of Cards and Ozark. Five fledgling writers from diverse backgrounds are each paid $200,000 for a six-month residency. They help one another create shows that can be shopped to cable networks and Blockbuster Entertainment. Experienced showrunners like Glen Mazzara (The Walking Dead) serve as mentors.

Mr. Lin joined with CBS and the TV writer Craig Turk (The Good Wife) to create a similar initiative. The campfire, as this one is known, pairs movie writers who want to break into television with experienced CBS writers, according to Lindsey Liberatore, Rideback’s executive vice president for television. Two campfire show ideas were recently sold to CBS.

“The best feedback comes from fellow creators,” Mr. Lin said. “We want to bring people and ideas together to elevate the potential of both.”

It must be said: Mr. Lin can come across like a goody-two-shoes. He cites Fred Rogers, a.k.a. Mister Rogers, as one of his inspirations. Once a week, Mr. Lin will excitedly tell you, Rideback sends writers to a nearby grade school; they help children from immigrant families write plays. Another Rideback program centers on a shelter for homeless women and their children.

Here in the narcissism capital, Mr. Lin’s sweetness and sunshine can be hard to take at face value. Rideback is a business. This must just be the way he shrouds his ambition.

But people who know him insist otherwise.

In Hollywood “people are really good at appearing to be decent and good,” Modi Wiczyk, a co-founder of MRC, said. “Dan is actually decent and good. He is also incredibly ambitious — you don’t get to where he is by accident. All of those qualities can be hard to reconcile in one person. Bob Iger and Dick Cook at Disney are also much the same.” Mr. Wiczyk met Mr. Lin in the 1990s as classmates at Harvard Business School.

The son of Taiwanese immigrants, Mr. Lin, 46, is part of a generational changing of the guard in Hollywood. With lions like Jerry Bruckheimer, 76, Joe Roth, 71, and Joel Silver, 67, having a harder time finding hits or easing toward retirement, people like Jason Blum, 50, Ava DuVernay, 47, Jordan Peele, 40, and Mr. Lin have built production companies that tap into new cultural currents, notably inclusion. As it happens, Mr. Blum’s wildly successful Blumhouse Productions and Ms. DuVernay’s newer Array Creative Campus are also located in Filipinotown, which borders downtown Los Angeles. Mr. Peele's Monkeypaw Productions isn't located in Filipinotown, but is close enough.

“It’s looking at a systemic problem, which is the lack of diverse voices — how to feed new talent into a system that has been rather closed,” said Lynda Obst, a longtime producer (Interstellar) and the author of “Sleepless in Hollywood: Tales From the New Abnormal in the Movie Business. She added, “As streaming takes over, that is more important than ever.”

"Rideback is certainly a company we feel has a great potential to succeed," said Jennifer Todd, CEO of Springbok. "When we worked on Aladdin, it was quite a wonderful and creative experience, and we enjoyed coming to the Ranch for creative discussions, work on the script, editing and the like. Dan is a great creative partner, and we look forward to working with him more in the future, and for Rideback as a whole to grow."

The money to build Rideback — and the philosophy behind it — came from a court battle. About a decade ago, Mr. Lin and two partners helped Legendary Pictures obtain remake rights to Godzilla. In 2013, the relationship between Legendary and the three producers curdled, resulting in multiple lawsuits. After losing several court rulings, Legendary settled. Godzilla took in $525 million in 2014.

“Fighting them in court brought me to the brink of personal bankruptcy, but it ended up with them writing me a huge check,” Mr. Lin said. “My wife and I, we are religious people, and we prayed about what to do with the money, and the answer involved lifting others up.”

He pointed to a program he calls the Rideback Collective. It is a secretive, invitation-only group of 25 film writers. Twice a month, a subset of the group participates in a version of the Pixar brain trust sessions — one member takes a vexing project (a cut of a film or an unfinished script) to a session and the group spends about three hours in the evening brainstorming about improvements. It’s all pro bono, and Mr. Lin declined to disclose the participants.

“Some of the projects may be set up at studios, and the creators may not want the studio to know that they’re struggling,” he said.

Mr. Lin provides space and administrative support. He does not receive producing credits on collective projects, although he is betting that some collective members will want him to produce their work. Several members, in fact, have been discussing a financing arrangement with Mr. Lin.

He also has access to the workshops. For instance, collective members, along with people from Disney and Springbok, viewed an early version of Aladdin and suggested improvements, he said. Disney and Springbok then hired a writer to compose pages for additional photography. Aladdin, directed by Guy Ritchie from a screenplay credited to Ritchie and John August, collected $1 billion at the box office over the summer.

Meg LeFauve, a writer known for her work on Pixar films, runs the Rideback Collective. “Writing can be a very solo, lonely job,” she said. “You leave these sessions with insights into how other big story brains work.”

Mr. Lin started his career as an executive at Warner Bros., where he steered The Departed, Martin Scorsese’s Oscar-nominated 2006 drama about the Boston mob (and Lin's earliest connection to Springbok, who helped produce that project). He became a producer in 2008. His early producing tenure was marked by hits (Sherlock Holmes) and misses (Gangster Squad).

In 2010, Mr. Lin started to vacation in rural Bigfork, Montana, with his wife and sons. It was there, he said, that someone mentioned the term “rideback.”

“It’s a cowboy word,” he said. “When you fall, the others make sure you aren’t left behind. They ride back to help you.”

December 25, 2019-1917 opens in a dozen theaters, and earns $250,000 during the first day. The film is expected to aim for arthouse status, and perform as such, up to its wide release on January 10, where it should be a massive hit, as critics give it universal praise. Spies in Disguise also opens on this day, as a wide release and makes $4.8 million during the first day.

December 30, 2019-From Variety:

"Hasbro Completes $3.8 Billion Acquisition of Entertainment One," by Cynthia Littleton

Hasbro is poised to become a bigger player in entertainment now that the toy giant has completed its acquisition of Entertainment One.

The $3.8 billion all-cash deal was unveiled in August. Entertainment One CEO Darren Throop will report to Hasbro chairman-CEO Brian Goldner. Olivier Dumont, eOne’s president of family & brands, Steve Bertram, president, film and television, and Chris Taylor, global president of music, will also make the move to Hasbro and continue to report to Throop.

Hasbro also said Monday in announcing the closing that it would pay off about $700,000 in eOne debt as part of the transaction. As of eOne’s most recent earnings report from March, the company has about $450 million in debt on its books.

Hasbro aims to capitalize on eOne’s kidvid brands including the Peppa Pig franchise, and it aims to use eOne’s production and distribution infrastructure to boost its array of well-known properties ranging from Transformers to board games such as Monopoly to My Little Pony.

“We are excited about what we can do together and see tremendous opportunity for shareholder value creation through this acquisition,” said Goldner. “Our businesses are highly complementary with substantial synergies and a great cultural fit. The addition of eOne accelerates our blueprint strategy by expanding our brand portfolio with eOne’s beloved global preschool brands, adding proven TV and film expertise, and creating additional opportunities for long-term profitable growth.”

It’s still unclear whether Hasbro intends to pursue projects outside of the kid and family realm. Entertainment One is known for producing and distributing art-house movies and adult series for buyers in the U.S., U.K. and other key markets. eOne is also a key member of Steven Spielberg's Amblin Partners, alongside DreamWorks Pictures, Amblin Entertainment, Participant Media, Reliance Entertainment and Springbok Productions.

December 31, 2019-Nirvana and Springbok celebrate the New Year with a webcast performance at Springbok's main Hollywood offices.

Last edited:
(And so this marks the end of the Cobain Continues Redux thread, but not the end of TTL as a whole. We are moving to create a Wiki database page of articles of everything related to TTL, which will look exactly like Wikipedia, but with information changed as necessary to reflect TTL. All the events in the thread will be fleshed out further, including discussion of plots of movies, synopses for TV projects, and including all the articles featured in this thread as well. It will reflect on not only all the events of TTL up to now, but also well into the future., and the Wiki will be used for events in the future of TTL, instead of a story thread here.

Anyone who wishes to contribute to helping create articles for the Wiki, or edit and curate articles, as well as give creative ideas, please talk to me or TheGuyWhoHeartsHistory in conversation threads. So please, drop us a line, as we need quite a team to help it become a reality. I cannot stress that enough!

In addition, for assistance with all that, if you haven't read it already, please check out this thread of supplementary material I made: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/cobain-continues-redux-supplementary-material.475465/

There is also a repository of articles at FictionPress: https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3352454/1/Cobain-Continues-Redux-Press-Clippings

And so I say to all of you, Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!)

Last edited: