Frontpiece

Eparkhos

Banned
In the beginning, the world was dark and flat. Nothing lived, nothing died, nothing was. Then, one day, Ewónah fell out of the heavens at great speed, creating a massive crater that became the Suhtsoh Valley. Picking himself up, Ewónah looked around--he could see in the primordial night just as any man could see under the noonday sun--and began to wander across the land. Wherever his feet fell, they created craters and forced the land around them upwards, like water in the lakes. Thus, the mountains and the valleys were formed. He worked up quite a sweat while wandering, and wherever his sweat fell salt flats covered the ground.

After some time, Ewónah grew tired of the silence, and resolved to make subjects and companions for him to rule over. He spat into one of the salt flats and then shaped them into the first man and woman, Apocu and Táju, whom he then set free to wander the earth while he created animals and plants to feed them. However, they kept blundering into his half-completed projects, and Ewónah grew frustrated by this.

“Why do you keep breaking my creation? Are you not grateful for your lives, do you hate me for making you?”

“No, father,” they replied, “We cannot see!”

“You lie!” the Father of All shouted, “Your eyes are as good as mine! Why would you not be able to see?”

Still, they insisted that they could not see through the primeval night. “We cannot see through the night!”

“Fine then!” Ewónah shouted, “If you want light, I will give you light!”

He tore out his own eye and threw into the sky, casting the world in incredible light. Given his divine nature, he could still see out of both eyes, and so he resolved to watch the first couple as he worked on his other creations. Not wishing to be bothered, he carved a hole in the ground and clambered down it into the Womb of the World, where he set about making the animals and the plants. He was so focused on creating the other life that he did not pay attention to Apocu and Táju, who were being burned to death by the withering heat of his eye. After creating all the forms of life and conjuring up all the different metals and rocks, he emerged to find only the burnt bones of his first creations.

Taken aback, Ewónah began to cry. His tears fell to the earth and filled in one of the depressions, forming the Lake of Tears. He fetched up Apocu and Táju’s souls, apologizing profusely and put them into the sky to make up for it. Apocu became the Moon, and Táju became the Morning Star.

“Why did you burn? Tell me, so I may keep it from happening again!” Ewónah said.

“The sun hung too low over the ground.” Apocu said.

Ewónah nodded, thinking. His eye was fixed at its height, and he could not raise or lower it. But he could move it horizontally….

“How long did it take you to catch fire?” he asked.

“About a day.” Táju said.

“Well then,” Ewónah said, “The sun will only hang in the sky for a day. I will send it into the far west, around the rim of the world, and in this time Apocu will watch over the land. When it returns, he will also go west around the rim of the world, and they will trade off time. Táju will keep watch for you, Apocu, so that you won’t be surprised by the sun.”

They found this agreeable, and the cycle began while Ewónah made preparations to open the gates to the Womb of the World. At long last, the gates were opened and all the forms of life climbed out of the earth, spreading across the world in a great migration. Among them were Anáho and Siwél, the second man and the second woman. Everything went well at first, but then the plants began to wither, and the animals and the men began to weaken, Ewónah realized something had gone wrong.

“Am I unable to do anything correctly?” he cried, halting time so that his creations would not die.

“No, my lord, it is merely that your creations are dying of thirst.” Apocu interjected.

Ewónah laughed, realizing his foolishness. He broke off one of his fingers and tossed it into the heavens, from which his blood-water would spurt down as his heavenly flesh tried to reform itself. The rain fell evenly at first, returning life to the land, and all the world prospered for a time. But then, as the Tsúthlá penetrated the world from its eastern edge, Ewónah turned all of his attention to driving them back. Rain fell less often but still regularly, at certain times of the year. Ewónah’s eye and Apocu continued their rotation, the Father of All carefully watching his creations. Whenever they angered him, he would glare down upon them, drying the land and threatening to burn it once again. The people quickly realized they must keep the Father pleased, or face certain destruction. As Ewónah became more and more exhausted by his ongoing struggle with the forces of evil, he could no longer keep the lands of the center of the earth warm throughout the year. He raised up Kágo, the greatest of the bears, and appointed him as his viceroy to watch over the early people across the world.

However, the entropy innate to man soon reared its head, and many of the many children of Anáho and Siwél, the most handsome man and the fairest woman soon abandoned Ewónah and began to worship the other animals of the world before the father of all. Of all the people, only Anq’t’élont and Túmtlal, the father and mother of all the Sohaa, remained true to Ewónah and dwelled around the Womb of the World while the rest spilled out in all directions, forming the many barbarian peoples of the world. When Kágo appeared to them twelve years after the death of Anáho and Siwél, who lived for a hundred and forty-four years, they were ready to follow the commands of Ewónah, and began the journey to the Suhtsoh Valley….

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Kresto’náj Numá

The Great Basin is one of the harshest regions on the planet, runner-up only to the Atacama Desert in a contest for the driest part of the western hemisphere. Outside of the small valley of the Áq River and a handful of lakes on the eastern slopes of the Sierra Nevada, there is next to no water to be found other than the tiny amount brought by the rare thunderstorm. Little grows in the desert and even fewer animals dwell there, the local population consisting primarily of scrubby plants and grasses fed upon by a few species of birds, insects and rodents. It is almost entirely unsuitable for human habitation, supporting only a small number of desperate miners in the present and a few small bands of outcasts in the past. The sun bleaches the land as white as the bones of the many who have died upon it.

The Sési’wá Mountains [OTL Wasatch Range] are, likewise, extremely inhospitable. The mountains rise more than 3,000 meters above sea level, more than 1,500 above the surrounding landscape and form a nigh-on impossible barrier to east-west travel. They freeze regularly from October to April--fatal to anyone caught without shelter and a great number of those with it--and are alternatively drenched with rain that seeps into everything it touches, exposing it to slow freezing, or bone-dry like the surrounding desert, devoid of anything other than sagebrush and wild grouse. In the summer, it is subject to flash floods and mudslides, while in the winter it is blanketed in several feet of snow in a dry year. Dense forest make habitation or navigation even more difficult, and even in the present era it is sparsely settled.

Between these two extremes, however, something resembling a livable region forms. Sheltered by an arc in the mountains and protected from the scorching heat of the desert by the moderation of the Lake of Tears [OTL Great Salt Lake], the Suhtsoh Valley has a climate not dissimilar to that of the Mediterranean. A number of rivers naturally irrigate the plain, fed by the rains and snows of the Sési’wá, and this supports a flourishing of flora and fauna. Due to its isolated position, it is entirely possible that this pocket of terrain could have laid fallow throughout history, surrounded by desert in mountains in all directions as it was.

In spite of the formidable barriers to entry to the valley, humanity made its way there as it did every other part of the earth. Sometime around 8,000 BC, a ragged band of hunter-gatherers stumbled to the shores of the Lake of Tears from somewhere in the north or west. They had crossed the deserts to the north and west, carrying only the clothes on their back, their weapons, and a few scraps of food. To any outsider, they would look like cavemen, and in truth, they were barely removed from them. From them sprung the Sóhaa, who would rise to become one of the great civilizations of the world….​

Last edited:
I'm glad to see you're turning this into a timeline. I'm always a fan of alternate agriculture, and based on what you talked about in the other thread it sounds like you have some interesting ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have planned.

Eparkhos

Banned
I'm glad to see you're turning this into a timeline. I'm always a fan of alternate agriculture, and based on what you talked about in the other thread it sounds like you have some interesting ideas. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you have planned.
Thanks!

Eparkhos

Banned
What crops are they growing?
The big three are Meadow Barley, Indian Parsley and Indian biscuitroot. The latter two are domesticates of an obscure member of the biscuitroot family, shaped into a pseudo-cereal and a root vegetable, respectively. Think lettuce and spinach.

The big three are Meadow Barley, Indian Parsley and Indian biscuitroot. The latter two are domesticates of an obscure member of the biscuitroot family, shaped into a pseudo-cereal and a root vegetable, respectively. Think lettuce and spinach.
One of your tags says brass age. Is that a typo are will this culture be using Brass tools instead of Bronze?

Eparkhos

Banned
One of your tags says brass age. Is that a typo are will this culture be using Brass tools instead of Bronze?
No, it's not a typo. I found a discussion from a while back about a Brass Age, and the consensus was that it could happen under unusual circumstances, namely access to copper and zinc but not tin or even trade with a state with tin, and the development of earthenware furnaces, all of which the Sohaa fit.

Part I: Plants and Migrants

Eparkhos

Banned
Part I: Plants and Migrants

Before a discussion can be held about the stages and development of Sohaa civilization, it is important to understand how the Sohaa arrived in their present home and, even more importantly, the crops that allowed them to sustain an agricultural civilization on the edge of a vast desert.

In large part, the success of the Sohaa can be attributed to a single crop, or more accurately, a single plant producing two crops. This plant was Lomatium farinosum hambleniae cogswellia, better known by its common names, Indian parsley and Indian biscuitroot, as pictured below. (Note: this subspecies went extinct sometime during the 1970s or 1980s; the following depiction is of the very similar Lomatium farinosum hambleniae, which still exists on the eastern face of the Cascades. The names are also ATL.)

KB3GGjFqdQY_phOgBV_Y7Gy_F3gihbn60sGCgpbFrQoM935bOJCdtZsU4NxlbgMHBZRF9iIV2tFz0YIF292eNEjcdINKkGWn7kldK0Pabkrzay3u81Jh0HQVyAdIadGnPXMANfll

Indian biscuitroot’s natural habitat is on the Squá (Columbia) Plateau, where it grows along the banks of both the river that gives the region its name and dozens of other smaller bodies of water. In the wild, it is far from an impressive plant, bearing only a cluster of narrow stalks topped with bright yellow flowers that, eventually, become seedheads. To any layman, it would seem to be just another flower among so many that grow in this region. However, the hidden secret of this flower is that it is not, in fact, a flower but is truly a root vegetable. While the taproot of Indian biscuitroot is much smaller than that of other species of biscuitroot, this is a trade off for its shorter growing period; Unlike its perennial cousins, Indian biscuitroot has a lifespan of only two years, producing seeds after a few months of growing, then going dormant for the winter before blooming again the following year and subsequently dying. Why it does this is unknown--speculations range from a method of surviving droughts to a way to propagate as quickly as possible without abandoning good growing spots in the harsh deserts of the Great Basin--but it did the plant easier to domesticate than its perennial cousins, albeit not nearly as easily as an annual plant could be. There had also been some speculation in recent years that an archaic form of the plant was polyploid, but there is little evidence to support this and recent analysis of preserved husks by the University of Agboka suggests that this altogether false.

While Indian biscuitroot was, if not an ideal plant for domestication, it was a workable one, second only to Meadow barley, which would, in time, become the third pillar of the Sohaa agricultural package. That it would be adopted by a farming civilization is altogether not too surprising, as it was widespread around several rivers, which is where Neolithic peoples have a tendency to settle. What is surprising is that it would be adopted by, nay, drove the foundation of a civilization six hundred miles away from its southernmost natural discovery, near Emátálá’am (OTL Hermiston, Oregon). This, of course, brings us to the proto-Sohaa migration, which is controversial, to say the very least.

Where the proto-Sohaa came from and when their ethnogenesis occurred are both extremely controversial. The earliest archaeological evidence from the Suhtsoh Valley (OTL Salt Lake Valley) dates back to around 8500 BC, and is sufficiently different from the material cultures of surrounding groups that it can be identified as exclusively proto-Sohaa. However, before that we know next to nothing. Oral records indicate that the proto-Sohaa wandered through the desert for “A hundred and twenty generations.” which is, to say the least, unlikely. Given the limited resources of the desert, it is almost impossible that the proto-Sohaa would have willingly chosen to spend upwards of 2,000 years wandering across the wasteland when they had knowledge of the Shápatén and Quáuá Rivers (Snake and Colorado, respectively). The fact that the specified number of generations was one hundred and twenty, which is a number of great importance to the Sohaa, also suggests that this story was at least partially fabricated.

This leaves us with two proposed migratory routes; the Shápatén Theory and the Auq Theory. Both agree that the proto-Sohaa originated somewhere in the far north of the Americas, and were forced south sometime around 9000 BC by rising sea levels or land rebounding caused by the decline of the glaciers. From here, they wandered southwards until they arrived upon the Squá Plateau and picked up the ancestor of Indian parsley/biscuitroot at roughly the same time as the Marmes Complex existed there. From here, their speculated paths diverge wildly; According to the Shápatén Theory, which is generally considered the most plausible, the proto-Sohaa migrated down the valley of the Shápatén River until something--possibly conflict with another tribe or a period of drought, famine or plague--forced them south into the Kúlil Valley, which they then followed south to the shores of the Lake of Tears. This is a compelling argument, as it falls in line with the general habit that desert nomads have of never straying too far from water. The Auq Theory, on the other hand, holds that after reaching the Squá, the proto-Sohaa instead migrated due southwards, hopping from lake to lake on the eastern face of the Sierra Nevada. Eventually, they followed the Auq (Humboldt) River out into the heart of the desert, and it is presumed that eventually a period of drought forced them to strike out from the eastern edge of the river. Good fortune led them to the shores of the receding Old Lake, which they then followed east to the valley itself. There are flaws with both theories, namely the lack of physical evidence to support the Shápatén theory, and the fact that the droughts which would have forced the proto-Sohaa off the Squá would have made reaching the Humboldt nigh on impossible, but they are the two most likely ways that the proto-Sohaa reached the Suhtsoh Valley.

Regardless, the earliest date that we know the proto-Sohaa existed and the location where they were is on the shores of the Lake of Tears, sometime around 8,000 BC. It is then that the first samples of Indian parsley/biscuitroot can be found, and shortly afterwards evidence for the material culture of the Marshy Lake Culture begins to emerge….

No, it's not a typo. I found a discussion from a while back about a Brass Age, and the consensus was that it could happen under unusual circumstances, namely access to copper and zinc but not tin or even trade with a state with tin, and the development of earthenware furnaces, all of which the Sohaa fit.
I would like to see this thread

Eparkhos

Banned
I would like to see this thread

Eparkhos

Banned
Nice! However, I have a question. Will prickly pears be significant ITTL?
Definitely. Golden prickly pear is an excellent potential domesticate--not only is it polypodial, meaning it can be selected for fairly easily, but lack of spines is a common mutation. It will be a secondary crop, though, more equivalent to agave or Jerusalem artichoke than meadow barley or the lomatium-derived crops.

I'm glad to know that a mere WI of mine has inspired a whole TL, and I will be watching this with interest. On the subject of domesticates, have you looked into nipa grass? A saltgrass of the actual Poaceae family, although half the plants are seedless males, it's a perennial that has the capability to absorb seawater, a massive advantage for a civilization in such an area as inhospitable as the Great Basin.

Eparkhos

Banned
I'm glad to know that a mere WI of mine has inspired a whole TL, and I will be watching this with interest. On the subject of domesticates, have you looked into nipa grass? A saltgrass of the actual Poaceae family, although half the plants are seedless males, it's a perennial that has the capability to absorb seawater, a massive advantage for a civilization in such an area as inhospitable as the Great Basin.
Nipa would definitely be an important crop, but I’m not sure that it could get to the SLV in great numbers, as it grows primarily in the lands around the Gulf of California. I could see it causing an agricultural revolution at some point, though.

Part II: The Marshy Lake Cultural Complex

Eparkhos

Banned
Part II: The Marshy Lake Cultural Complex

The Marshy Lake Culture is the first culture known to have dwelled in the Suhtsoh Valley, beginning sometime around 8,500 or 8,000 BC and transitioning into the semi-sedentary Ánkukatuk Culture between 5,000 and 4,500 BC. It is known primarily from the Marshy Lake site, located in the marshes on the south-eastern edge of the Lake of Tears, and the lowest level of excavation at the Kūnelach site, but there are dozens of smaller sites scattered across the valley. Artefacts from the aforementioned dig sights are almost always of poor quality due to expose and rot, and so Marshy Lake and Kūnelach-I are truly remarkable in the detailed window they give us into this time period.

The Marshy Lake’s material culture is surprisingly similar to that of the contemporary Desert Archaic peoples, despite the fairer climates of the Suhtsoh Valley and the increasing importance of their formative agricultural package in the region. Most notable is the strong cultural overlap that occurred with the Archaic Basketmaker societies of the Quáuá River, which has led some to conclude that the Archaic Basketmakers were descendants of bands of the Marshy Lake people who migrated further south. We know that there was at least some interaction between the two groups, as evidenced by the spread of pinyon trees northwards from the Quáuá Valley into the Suhtsoh Valley from around 6,000 BC onward, but evidence beyond this is uncertain, to say the least. The Alsath Man is a corpse dated to around 5,000 BC that was found in a salt vein near the Alsath Spring (OTL Salt Creek Mountains) with a spearhead lodged under his shoulder blade and another in his stomach. The Alsath Man is speculated to be a Marshy Laker killed by Archaic Basketmakers or vice versa, but this is pure speculation since all we know about him is that he was killed by another person. It is possible that he may have just been killed in an inter-clan skirmish between members of either people, or that he may have been a criminal executed for some offense against his clan or simply killed in an honor duel.

The Marshy Lake people were true hunter-gatherers, subsisting on a variety of different foodstuffs gathered from around the Suhtsoh Valley and beyond. They followed a fairly regular migrational pattern, spending the summer months at high altitude in the mountains surrounding the valley before descending into the lowlands around the lake as winter set in. They subsisted primarily on berries, pinyon nuts, amaranth, ricegrass, goosefoot and agave that they gathered in the mountains, as well as the mule deer, elk and mountain goats which they hunted to supplement their diet. The first records of domesticated mountain goats date back to the Wájáh culture, which flourished more than four thousand years after the decline of the Marshy Lake culture, but it is not unlikely that the Marshy Lake people tamed goats, at least to a limited extent. (Note: this means that individual animals were tamed, but a domesticated population was never created). In the winters, they would return to the lowlands, where they would forage for food amongst the marshes that lined the Lake of Tears and hunt the small game that lived in the region. The lake was too salty to support fish, but the Marshy Lake people made good use of the substantial populations of brine shrimp and wading birds that lived along its shores, trapping many of the latter, and constructing wicker weirs for the former. They practiced a primitive form of doorstep horticulture here, planting plots of Lomatium as soon as the snows melted then harvesting them when they returned in the autumn. Over time, this practice spread to include the planting of species which they brought with them from the mountains, mainly balsamroot and goosefoot. These early farms would increase in importance as the Marshy Lake culture advanced, culminating in the transition to the Ánkukatuk, at which point permanent houses would begin to be built and the proto-Sohaa would morph into the semisedentary foraging stage of the Meatte Scale.

The Marshy Lake culture was a Stone Age culture in nearly every sense of the word, relying entirely upon wooden, stone and bone tools. There is some evidence to suggest that there was a very limited amount of copper mining and working occuring during this period, most notably a rod of copper that was found amongst the grave goods of a shamaness buried at the Marshy Lake, site but there is an even more remarkable lack of copper at any other site. This may have been because it was not used outside of ritual purposes, but a counter-theory proposes that this was because copper was so scarce that it could not be used for grave goods, instead being passed down from generation to generation as heirlooms. In terms of tools and weapons, the Marshy Lakers had spear-throwers like most other Pre-Columbian cultures, but lacked bows. They likely used flint and quartz knives, and we know for certain that they used stone spear and arrowheads. They did not have sickles and instead used bone ards to harvest plants, but made nets both for fishing and for collecting nuts.

The most famous part of the Marshy Laker’s material culture is wicker, a product which they excelled at making. Spending much of their time in the reed-banks along the edges of the Lake of Tears, they adopted weaving fairly early on, and as a consequence of this became excellent craftsmen. They lived in collapsable wicker buildings that they brought with them on their migratory circuits, and made large and complexly-patterned baskets that may have had some religious significance to them. The later practice of placing offerings to the gods in wicker baskets and then sinking them in the Lake of Tears is believed to have originated during this period, and some have even gone so far as to suggest that the first shamans were skilled weavers who were thought to commune with spirits in making wicker. Wicker and wicker-based products dating back to the Marshy Lake period have been found scattered across the lands around the Suhtsoh valley, and the distinctive green-and-purple colored baskets they made have been found as far away as Mesoamerica, although these may have been made during later periods using the same techniques. Pictured below is a reconstruction of one of their tent-houses,

308b27e9506b864079dbc9bd4ed13d17--native-americans-shelters.jpg

It appears that the society of the Marshy Lake period was oriented around clans and families, each of which would be led by a familial shaman and/or the eldest members of the clan. These clans would winter in the same regions around the lake each year, but would splinter into different bands as they migrated into the mountains during the summer. Many of these clans would have had long-standing rivalries or friendships with their neighbors, and skirmishes (as well as possible ritual warfare) would have been common as they came into conflict over resources. The clans also likely conducted alliances via strategic marriages and alliances against enemy clans, all of which are recurring themes in the older oral histories of the modern Sohaa. It appears that the bodies of most people were simply dumped into the wilds to return to nature, but certain elders and shamans would be awarded a proper shaft burial. It is from these that we draw most of our knowledge of their material culture. Like in most hunter-gatherer societies, most hunters were men and most gatherers were women, with their proto-agriculturalists having a roughly mixed population.

Towards the end of the Marshy Lake period, the climate began to change as the Mid-Holocene Warm Period set in around 5,000 BC. This caused the Great Basin Cycle to increase in its eastward movement, and in spite of the rising temperatures a period of increased rainfall began. This happened to coincide with a decrease in the natural riches of the mountains, and the proto-Sohaa became increasingly dependent on agriculture to make up the balance, beginning the transition to the Ánkukatuk Culture….