Challenge: name an airplane uglier than the Lloyd Luftkreuzer

What was it's intended role? I know there was this lingering fascination in both Britain and the US with these jet-powered seaplane fighters(???); but why? At the time of the design, both countries either had the use of land bases across most of the globe, or they had carriers to supply higher-performing aircraft.

I mean in the early cold war period there is a certain logic in having aircraft that can operate from any calm stretch of water instead of easily nuked airbases.

McPherson

Banned
How did they stop the jet engine sucking in water on landing?

They didn't. What they did was provide an extendable snout to prevent water ingestion at takeoff.

Other defects, pilot vision from cockpit too small. Vickers backed out the engine under them and after the Americans evaluated it as a recon bird and as part of their own Seamaster program (possible fighter prototype), KOD^1.

^1 Kiss of Death despite its good "flight" qualities. Seawater and jet engines hate each other.

Now you want an UGLY disaster?

P6M_SeaMaster.jpg

Beautiful though.

I suspect you'd react differently if he'd said of someone from Jamaica "You all look alike to me, scorched black by too much sun". It might have been meant as a joke but it's just as offensive.

I apologize. No ill intention was meant. Frankly I thought the statement too ridiculous to be taken seriously. In any case I'll delete the post. Sorry about that.

What in the name of god is that?

Just added in an edit. The Rocheville Tern.

Manufactured in 1932, three-seat open/cabin mid-wing monoplane on floats, powered by a 300 hp Wasp Junior. It was a one off hybrid designed by Charles Rocheville. Pilot in open cockpit in small nacelle, crew in enclosed pods atop pontoons. It crashed in 1933 during testing, when the air found it too ugly and threw it back down.

fwa19-9.jpg

The Focke Wulf F19 is what happens what you get an airplane kit and think "I don't need instructions to assemble that!" And proceed to knock back a few beers before starting.

From the corrugated iron appearance it looks like the engineers had a few too many bottles of vodka and just decided to try and strap some engines on a hanger and skip the middleman.

Not terribly far off. That said, corrugated metal wasn't unusual, I believe both the Ford Trimotor and the JU-52 used it.

The hoped for performance of that thing was hilarious for the time. As a civil airliner, it would hold 120 passengers, and 7 tons of cargo. As a troop transport, it would carry 112 paratroopers. As a bomber, it would have 8 autocannons and 8 machine guns and 10 tons of bombs.

Oh yes, and the passengers were to be sitting inside the wings, to give you an idea of just how fat that wing is...

McPherson

Banned
I see your Russian monstrosity and raise you a British one.

Sturgeon_SB3.jpg

Let me guess... the knuckleheads who put that radome in the wrong place also forgot to install exhaust diverters from the trailing edge of those turboprop nacelle housings and introduced boundary layer instability to what should have been a safe plane otherwise? Pilot killer!

Deleted member 94680

From the corrugated iron appearance it looks like the engineers had a few too many bottles of vodka and just decided to try and strap some engines on a hanger and skip the middleman.

Not terribly far off. That said, corrugated metal wasn't unusual, I believe both the Ford Trimotor and the JU-52 used it.

The hoped for performance of that thing was hilarious for the time. As a civil airliner, it would hold 120 passengers, and 7 tons of cargo. As a troop transport, it would carry 112 paratroopers. As a bomber, it would have 8 autocannons and 8 machine guns and 10 tons of bombs.

Oh yes, and the passengers were to be sitting inside the wings, to give you an idea of just how fat that wing is...

Well at least the design that beat it was a looker...

3-A878008-111-E-47-DE-A5-E2-B8-BF8-AC0-F0-F4.jpg

1-E38693-D-F748-4-D89-87-FD-04-B7-B7-B35150.jpg

Mother?! More vodka please!