Challenge: name an airplane uglier than the Lloyd Luftkreuzer

images

images

not attractive at all

McPherson

Banned
It seems Blackburn has a special claim on this thread.

rocfloats-jpg.262052

I have a special sympathy reserved for Blackburn. They seemed to go kiting off for the "wrong" solution to a specification. Their products generated were less than stellar.

THAT pilot killer is the B20. Somehow the designers forgot that water at touchdown is as hard as concrete and it is not that compressible so when the float hit you had two outcomes==> CRUNCH or tail over nose followed by sinking. In the air that abomination suffered from aileron flutter and that defect is probably what caused the prototype to crash killing 3 of the 6 crew. Blackburn tried again with the B44.

hodgekins_the_blackburn_b44_by_kirovrampager-d5fzuy5.png

Epic fail.

That disaster was based on the famous pilot killer, the Blackburn Firebrand. Captain Brown called it entirely unsuitable with poor roll and severe directional instability.

Last edited:

Deleted member 94680

That is the Blackburn B-20 built to specification R1/36. It was nick named the 'Nut cracker'. powered by twin RR Exe engines. The only proto-type crashed apparently due to aileron flutter.

Ah' Nijad

Driftless

Donor
But he really liked this one
6ct1wytou8by.jpg

saunders_sr1.gif

Saunders-Roe SR.A/1

What was it's intended role? I know there was this lingering fascination in both Britain and the US with these jet-powered seaplane fighters(???); but why? At the time of the design, both countries either had the use of land bases across most of the globe, or they had carriers to supply higher-performing aircraft.

What was it's intended role? I know there was this lingering fascination in both Britain and the US with these jet-powered seaplane fighters(???); but why? At the time of the design, both countries either had the use of land bases across most of the globe, or they had carriers to supply higher-performing aircraft.

It started mid war, with Japan's idea of fighter floatplanes caused by a lack of suficient carriers. Add the turbojet poping up mid project, delays of all king, and you get a project that last for far longer than it should...

That disaster was based on the famous pilot killer, the Blackburn Firebrand. Captain Brown called it entirely unsuitable with poor roll and severe directional instability.

I believe "Entirely Unsuitable" are literally the harshest words possible for use by any Englishman. I'm pretty sure it's exactly what a Britisher says when calling 911 while literally on fire.

Driftless

Donor
Banned in Britain almost immediately plans went on sale the Mignet Flying Flea.

1024px-Henri_Mignet_HM_14.jpg

I shouldn't mock homebuilts, as there are some truly ingenious designs and first-rate engineering that's gone into many. This one however, looks like it's the result of a trip to the lumber yard and fabric store, after too long at the pub.... Wile E. Coyote would be proud.

Deleted member 94680

I believe "Entirely Unsuitable" are literally the harshest words possible for use by any Englishman. I'm pretty sure it's exactly what a Britisher says when calling 911 while literally on fire.

We wouldn’t call 911 old chap