Can Germany recover it's eastern territories after WWII?

east-german-empire-prussia-poland-posen-silesia-pomerania-letts-1889-gm415b.jpg

Eastern Prussia, western Prussia, Posen, Silesia, Pommerania, etc. Can germany recover those territories after WWII somehow? What if tehre is a WWIII in 1945 and the allies wins, could they give at least aprt of those territories to Germany?

I could see the Soviet zone being given over to civilian German control, but the whole point of loosing that land was to cut Germany down to size. I seriously doubt that the Allies would allow all of that land to be returned.

Maybe a return to 1919 borders, less southern Silesia and east Prussia.

Deleted member 1487

No. They were ethnically cleansed of Germans during and after WW2, so there was no basis to reclaim them and as it was many European countries freaked out about Germany reuniting to the point that them reclaiming the most economically developed parts of Poland and having them either a mass out migration of Poles or having Poles become German citizens as a result of border changes was not happening. Same with Kaliningrad. The only option is to retain a portion of them at the border discussions, which would be the eastern Neise Line, which would then leave most of Breslau and part of Silesia in Germany, plus millions of Germans in place. It would actually also leave a world class copper mine in Germany, undiscovered until the 1950s.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polkowice-Sieroszowice_mine

Unless there is an apocalyptic ww3 and the Soviets & Poles are even more evil than the Germans in ww2 (doubtful) than no. Even than, I doubt the possibility.

BigBlueBox

Banned
Unless there is an apocalyptic ww3 and the Soviets & Poles are even more evil than the Germans in ww2 (doubtful) than no. Even than, I doubt the possibility.
There would be no Germany after an apocalyptic WW3. You can't give land to a country that doesn't exist.

There would be no Germany after an apocalyptic WW3. You can't give land to a country that doesn't exist.
Yes, guess I didnt really thought about it through the end. But for the sake of discussion. Lets say there is something left resembling a state.

BigBlueBox

Banned
Maaybe last 10.000 of germans would fight with 15.ooo surviving Poles?
10000 is highly optimistic. First the Soviets bombard West Germany with massive amounts of chemical weapons, then the Americans nuke East Germany, then the Soviets overrun West Germany, then the Americans nuke West Germany too.

CaliGuy

Banned
10000 is highly optimistic. First the Soviets bombard West Germany with massive amounts of chemical weapons, then the Americans nuke East Germany, then the Soviets overrun West Germany, then the Americans nuke West Germany too.
More like 100 Germans?

nbcman

Donor
Assuming the Soviets are decisively defeated in 1945-6 prior to the completion of the large scale population transfers (big assumption), the Western powers without fearing the Soviet Union would more likely decide to create multiple smaller German statelets according to the Roosevelt Plan, the Churchill Plan or the Morgenthau Plan than to allow a large German state to reform.

EDIT: But the Western Powers would not allow the former (pre-1939) Polish lands to go to the German statelets.

Last edited:

CaliGuy

Banned
east-german-empire-prussia-poland-posen-silesia-pomerania-letts-1889-gm415b.jpg

Eastern Prussia, western Prussia, Posen, Silesia, Pommerania, etc. Can germany recover those territories after WWII somehow? What if tehre is a WWIII in 1945 and the allies wins, could they give at least aprt of those territories to Germany?
If a war between the Western Allies and the Soviet Union breaks out in 1945, then maybe Germany can require Pomerania and Silesia. That's it, though.

Else, No.