Bush vs. The Axis of Evil - TL

Yeah but still, that's a huge risk.
How so? NK has already begun launching their arsenal, holding back on their account makes no senses, particularly as their range is limited. And nobody else will be going to bat for Kim, be it China or Russia. Words will be all they'll be using against the use of nukes, they won't threaten war or - God forbid - using their own arsenal in defence of NK.

Yeah but still, that's a huge risk. And for the record the US technically still had chemical weapons stockpile at the time.

True but they had already been allotted for destruction and there were various laws forbidding their deployment.

This isn't an out of the blue escalation, the US has done everything to not escalate the conflict, and now there are serious worries that they've already normalised the use of chemical weapons by not hitting back sufficiently. The use of a dirty bomb was considered to be a direct challenge to the nuclear deterrent, and so there was now finally no choice unless the nuclear deterrent would lose its meaning. The Pentagon are making a list of lowest civilian casualty targets to try and minimise the damage in the situation.

Wow. This is one hell of a chapter.
This isn't an out of the blue escalation, the US has done everything to not escalate the conflict, and now there are serious worries that they've already normalised the use of chemical weapons by not hitting back sufficiently. The use of a dirty bomb was considered to be a direct challenge to the nuclear deterrent, and so there was now finally no choice unless the nuclear deterrent would lose its meaning. The Pentagon are making a list of lowest civilian casualty targets to try and minimise the damage in the situation.
I agree. There's no alternative, sadly. If the US doesn't answer the use of dirty bombs with a counterstrike, then the nuclear deterrent is shown to be a bluff. It'll embolden other enemies of the US, either in the ongoing wars now or future conflicts, to pursue and develop dirty bombs and use them. The US has to strike back so that nobody will try this, because they know it'll be their destruction.

As an aside, I think your descriptions of nuclear weapon use in your two previous TLs are some of the more realistic I've seen and treat the situation with the gravity it deserves.

How so? NK has already begun launching their arsenal, holding back on their account makes no senses, particularly as their range is limited. And nobody else will be going to bat for Kim, be it China or Russia. Words will be all they'll be using against the use of nukes, they won't threaten war or - God forbid - using their own arsenal in defence of NK.
I know that but Bush would set a really horrific precedent. And technically dirty bombs aren’t really nukes.
True but they had already been allotted for destruction and there were various laws forbidding their deployment.

True but I wouldn’t put dirty bombs anywhere around nukes. At the very least the US would try to declare that this is grounds for them getting to use chemical weapons. Safer than nukes at least.

I know that but Bush would set a really horrific precedent.
I would argue that it'd set the right precedent. You muck around with nuclear weapons - be they proper or improvised - and you're getting nuked in retaliation. Otherwise not only does the idea of deterrent become laughable, but the US loses its credibility as a defender of its allies, which will not only embolden other people to use nuclear weapons, but also cause their proliferation as countries acquire them to be safe from such aggressors.

That nukes are such horrific weapons only underlines the point that such weapons aren't meant to be used. So that even the worst dictator or terrorist realizes that dirty bombs will only result in armaggeddon being unleashed against them.

I don't think an assassination attempt would be very successful but I do think that China or Russia would be in a position to intervene militarily and rush to capture key personnel and positions.

North Korean forces are pretty "occupied" at the moment dealing with the counter invasion and defending the Kim regime which could leave the borders with China and Russia weak.

China might prefer to have a buffer state in the Korean Peninsula even if it's a rump state that they have to govern with a close eye.
At best, China would have to learn to live with a united ROK. Still, a special Yalu border zone could be acceptable to Beijing.

The concern for me after the use of the ENTIRE category of NBC weapons by the North Korean regime is not whether Washington should retaliate, but whether to strike to end this war.

According to the stories, the regular army almost no longer exists, military logistics are already in agony, industry has been destroyed.

Apart from hitting directly on the bunker where Kim is located, I don't see any target of interest.

You would expect Kim's own personal guards should start thinking of eliminating him and his family once and for all.

They would are idoctrined defend Kim really deeply. They can't even think such thing and they know that horrible punishment would face them if they even try. Remember how horribly Kim killed his brother-in-law and yet enforced his son commit suicide.

Would Bush really resort to nukes?! That's a really huge decision to make. I assumed he'd resort to chemical weapons.

Unfortunately, like stated, Bush has not really good choices. His forces were already attacked by WMDs so he can't really anything else as retaliate. Otherwise whole credibly of USA would be gone and others would think that they can do that without punishemnt.

Good idea indeed! I never seen this be used in a timeline, but I doubt that Russia would be able to occupy almost all of North Korea before China would also step in, so a joint Chinese-Russian occupation of the DPRK seems like the inevitability in a scenario like this.

And despite the tiny DPRK-Russia border, Russia could simply conduct amphibious landings in Korea like how they did against Japanese-controlled Korea in WWII, only that this time the Russian army is repeating history against Kim, instead of Japan.

I also wonder how much popular Brian Reynolds Myers' takes that North Korea's ideology is a repackaged version of Japanese Showa-era Fascism would be ITTL, probably much more, since leftists worldwide would want to completely disown the Kims' North Korea at all costs.

Or utilize VDV paratroopers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Airborne_Forces) to land the flying Spetsnaz to major cities from air in orser to hasten the (Sino-)Russian occupation of North Korea before American nukes could make it in time. If the operation is launched after the nuking,their forces would need to wear gas mask and other similar equipment to not contact the radiation. If it goes badly, it might become Pristina Incident 2.0 where NATO and Russia confronted in Kosovo over occupational dispute that almost caused WW3. ->https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incident_at_Pristina_airport

You bet,almost all of TTL World (except extreme Tankies, NatBols and few Fascists) would view Jucheism as Showa Statism painted red, making OTL Homefront game not so abnormal.

In any case,if Russia intervenes, this would set a major precident in relations between Russia and America, for better or worse.

I don't think an assassination attempt would be very successful but I do think that China or Russia would be in a position to intervene militarily and rush to capture key personnel and positions.

North Korean forces are pretty "occupied" at the moment dealing with the counter invasion and defending the Kim regime which could leave the borders with China and Russia weak.

China might prefer to have a buffer state in the Korean Peninsula even if it's a rump state that they have to govern with a close eye.

After the nightmarish death of Jang Song-thaek,no high WKP official nor any Kim family member will dare hint the mere suggestion of a coup against Jong-il,let alone actually conducting it.

To me, China would take west North Korea while Russia the eastern portion, and the ruined Pyongyang would be divided between the first two powers, America, Japan and South Korea akin to Berlin post-WW2.

Last edited:
Ah yeah
Time to rock and roll
Saddam is dead, Iran is getting closer to being finished and Kim forced Bush to unleash Ragnarok on him.

It going to be a experience for the missiles crew, dudes are going to get the honor of launching the first nuke strikes since 1945.

It going to be a pain in clearing up all these messes in the aftermaths.

I have to say that this is some of the finest writing I have seen on this site. Haunting, terrifying but outstanding work. Cheers.

To people saying that Bush going Nuclear is an unneeded escalation I am about to point out that every Nuclear Power on the planet right now has a "Well Fuck You Too" policy when in concerns any part of the NBCR square, meaning that any use of Nuclear, Biological, Chemical or Radioactive Weapons means that the user of such weapons eats a Nuke.

It going to be a experience for the missiles crew, dudes are going to get the honor of launching the first nuke strikes since 1945.

I sincerely doubt that the US is going to use Minutmen or Tridents to launch the counterstrike, it more than likely to be Gravity Bombs or ALCM carried by either B-52's, B-1's or B-2's that deliver the hammer on whatever left of North Korea's leadership.

The Minutemen/Tridents are too risky to provoke someone in the Russian/Chinese Defense System panicking and launching in the belief of USA is launching a first strike. Bombarders reduce that risk too much to discard this.

I'm not for the United States or the American Empire in any capacity, but I do agree and understand Bush's decision. If an state actor uses nuclear weapons of any means against you, not realiating would incentivize further nuclear actions down the road and create a moral risk.

My only caveat is that the most moral retaliation possible would be to at least try to send some bunker busting nuke to kill Kim and end this in the quickest manner possible.

Last edited:
I'm not for the United States or the American Empire in any capacity, but I do agree and understand Bush's decision. If an state actor uses nuclear weapons of any means against you, not realiating would incentivize further nuclear actions down the road and create a moral risk.

My only caveat is that the most moral retaliation possible would be to at least try to send some bunker busting nuke to kill Kim and end this in the quickest manner possible.

It'd only work if America knows where Jong-il is hiding. Hell, it might not even be a bunker; it could be an underground tunnel.