Bicentennial Man: Ford '76 and Beyond

but I’d be curious if anyone has other thoughts on what kinds of legislation Dems would prioritize on that front (other than UHC) in the early 1980s
A more expansive Humphrey-Hawkins full employment act would definitely get passed. I think a Family Assistance Program that Nixon tried to pass in 1972 gets done here also. A lot of the bills that Ted Kennedy, Walter Mondale, and Hubert Humphrey proposed in the early to mid-70s that didn’t get passed get passed during the 1981-1982 senate.

That’s the direction I’m leaning. I don’t know very much about health insurance so I’ve been leaning on this article but the various variants of Nixoncare, Cartercare and Kennedycare I struggle to differentiate
It would be a national public option with A LOT of protections and basically price controls (not all official but many in practice).

I’d just say the minimum wage hike is probably in the ESA, though maybe only to $3.40 out of inflationary concerns with how many other spending programs were in the bill
Would Carey and the Democrats consider tying the minimum wage to inflation, or will they stick to a clean raise and prepare to raise it later?

Nixoncare and CarterCare seem to be variants of what we have as Obamacare. Public option is my go-to for any kind of health reform as you wouldn’t have to raise taxes for it, people pay into it and because it is non-profit and hopefully as efficient administration wise as Medicare/Medicaid that will cut down on costs tremendously.

Hey, a raise is a raise. And $3.40 for 1981 is about $11.26 in 2023 money so not bad.

I would also suggest Veteran Affairs Reform, with more mental health programs to help soldiers. Especially due to the mini-Vietnam of Panama.
Curious what the copayment scheme for the federal public option would have been back then. 80/20 like most private plans (in-network that is), perhaps?
A more expansive Humphrey-Hawkins full employment act would definitely get passed. I think a Family Assistance Program that Nixon tried to pass in 1972 gets done here also. A lot of the bills that Ted Kennedy, Walter Mondale, and Hubert Humphrey proposed in the early to mid-70s that didn’t get passed get passed during the 1981-1982 senate.

It would be a national public option with A LOT of protections and basically price controls (not all official but many in practice).
good call on Humphrey-Hawkins (maybe Mondale-Hawkins here?)

Hadn’t read about FAP before so I’ll check that out!
Would Carey and the Democrats consider tying the minimum wage to inflation, or will they stick to a clean raise and prepare to raise it later?
Good q. I’m not sure to what extent inflation-indexing was practiced at this point in time as an automatic function so I’d guess it’d be a clean raise but I’m not entirely sure. I vaguely recall that the automated COLA adjustments for SS started with the Reagan-O’Neill compromises but I could be wrong

It was proposed in January of 1977 so it would have already been written up and put up to vote pre-Carey presidency. I don’t see the Dems changing the name
Agreed. Mondale probably is the chief point of the spear on it, too, in honor of his mentor
Might be premature, but an update on the state of talk radio and the FCC under Carey would be neat!
Not sure I know quite enough about 70s talk radio to reflect forward how that would evolve in the absence of the environment that made Rush and his myriad imitators viable, but I can certainly try. Cable and the internet would probably be where that sort of thing takes off (could even have the inverse of OTL, where the “blogosphere” leans more right than left)

To Health and Solidarity - Part II
To Health and Solidarity - Part II

The Carey administration, in later years, was studied and amongst many liberals commended for its approach to wanting to structure legislation around a set "plan" - rather than simply passing legislation and regulations, it formed a focused schedule on which various pieces and components would be passed, designed to keep the various moving parts in the public eye but also time them strategically not just with the media for coverage but also on the Congressional campaign calendar and with an eye towards the shifting tides of the economy. This was a sharp contrast to the approach taken in the New Deal, in which FDR's "brain trust" often just threw things at the wall to see what stuck, but by 1981 the public landscape had dramatically changed to one of mistrust of government and a skepticism that the Democrats were entering a period of unrivalled dominance as they were in 1933, and Carey was himself something of a micromanager and obsessive around discipline and structure. This could cut many ways; on the one hand, it often worked against his public persona of being a tough-talking Brooklyn boxer, but it also forced the entire White House to aggressively keep its eye on the ball both in its internal deliberations and also managing its relationship with Congress, which often fell to Chief of Staff Basil Paterson and his key aide, Andrew Cuomo, who was often sent to deal directly with Southern Democrats who might otherwise take offense to having demands made of them by a Black man.

The White House's legislative agenda from September 1981 through the late spring of 1982 was thus designed to work as a "ratchet," where new bills and acts would be gradually rolled out one by one for maximum effect ahead of the midterms, with the most controversial package, health care reform, intended to be the final crown jewel that would get pushed through ahead of the summer recess as the last piece of the package to campaign on. The two major items ahead of this were also former 1970s initiatives in the Humphrey-Hawkins Full Employment Act and the Family Assistance Plan. Together, these were consolidated under a single branding, Carey's New Deal or Great Society as it were, referred to as the "National Contract." [1] One major contrast of the FEA, FAP and health-care reform to the Great Society was that it would be targeted and easily understood - rather than a bevy of programs to collectively lower poverty (successfully, Carey would argue) the National Contract would target unemployment, family dislocation and health scares specifically, all three things that had become areas of acute concern in the wake of the late 1970s depression rather than a push to raise the standard of living for millions of Americans left behind in a time of tremendous economic growth as with LBJ. As the triad of Landrieu, Harris and Klutznick at HUD, DoT and Commerce respectively worked to implement the ESA as aggressively as possible, Carey put Paterson's office in charge of corralling Congress while Labor Secretary Fraser and HEW Secretary Breyer worked on consolidating the three packages.

This was easier said than done. With inflation still stubbornly high and unemployment only just starting to show signs of coming down as the fall advanced, many Southern Democrats and indeed other members of the party balked at these major spending priorities. Furthermore, Fraser's attention was tied up in dealing with PATCO, the air traffic controller union, which was threatening a strike all summer. An issue for Carey was that the labor-management relations had badly deteriorated in the private sector in the late 70s and indeed gotten worse in the first two years of the 1980s, as inflation and high unemployment left the previous relationships strained and union members understandably tired of being asked to sacrifice on benefits and potential pay hikes as the cost of goods skyrocketed; for this reason, labor leaders had been supportive of the Solidarity Day marches and were putting enormous pressure on Carey to not just support labor through men like Fraser taking point at the DoL but also be a full-throated backer of organizer labor "100% of the time, no exceptions." With full repeal of Taft-Hartley unlikely, the administration needed other carrots for labor allies, but this was difficult to do in the case of PATCO - the air traffic controllers were a white-collar union whose demands, unlike beleaugured auto or steelworkers, seemed extreme (including full retirement at 50 and free international travel for life, perks that even the strong UAW would never had dreamed of) and thus were fairly unsympathetic to the public but who became increasingly seen as a litmus test for the administration's relationship with the AFL. Lane Kirkland, the union congress's President for only two years, was careful to offer qualified support for PATCO, but the damage had been done and the quandary set - the administration could either cave to PATCO's red lines, or they could refuse and have egg on their face with the collapse of the air travel system and come across as hostile to labor.

Kennedy was not necessarily a team player on these matters, either. Health care had been his baby going back to the Nixon era and he was of the mind that as the largest, most difficult and controversial component of the National Contract it should be passed first; Breyer, his former chief counsel, agreed, and argued that point vociferously within the Cabinet to the point that Carey began to wonder if Breyer would resign if he did not get his way. Paterson smoothed Kennedy's ruffled feathers by encouraging him to treat the "autumn of action" as a time of "grand debate" on what such a health care plan could look like, keeping to himself that the administration favored the path of least resistance in passing what was essentially an updated version of "Nixoncare" - strong consumer protections and effective hospital price caps, and a government-sponsored "public option," an insurance plan with high copayments and deductibles and mostly-catastrophic and mild preventative coverage but which could compete with private insurance plans and at least create a skeletal program that could be built upon in the future. Many on the left flank wanted something more robust, approximating the United Kingdom's NHS or Canadian Medicare, but Carey had quietly already settled on reviving Nixoncare and was now outlining how to bring everybody, most importantly Kennedy as well as Russell Long and the conservative House Ways and Means Chairman Al Ullman, onboard with that plan.

The balancing act all came to a head suddenly on September 30th, when PATCO walked out of a meeting in which Fraser had proposed to accept much but not all of what they had wanted (while accepting the pay raises and scheduling requests, he balked on the free travel component and early retirement, and had offered a higher pension payment ratio instead) and announced that they had voted for a strike beginning October 2, 1981.

[1] Wherein I steal from my other TL because I couldn't come up with a better name, though the temptation of using "Contract with America" was there

The balancing act all came to a head suddenly on September 30th, when PATCO walked out of a meeting in which Fraser had proposed to accept much but not all of what they had wanted (while accepting the pay raises and scheduling requests, he balked on the free travel component and early retirement, and had offered a higher pension payment ratio instead) and announced that they had voted for a strike beginning October 2, 1981.
Really hard to blame the Carey for the walkout since they accepted higher pay and schedule request, and even offer a reasonable alternative to the latter two

Really hard to blame the Carey for the walkout since they accepted higher pay and schedule request, and even offer a reasonable alternative to the latter two
Agreed entirely. PATCO is obviously not about to get destroyed the way they did by Reagan here but it’s still not going to end well for them

To Health and Solidarity - Part III
To Health and Solidarity - Part III

The PATCO strike, while perhaps somewhat forgotten today, was inside the Carey White House a moment of intense worry - while Paterson denied that there was "panic," the administration uniformly recognized the intense risk of misplaying the situation. For starters, the strike stepped over the announcement of Humphrey-Hawkins, introduced into the Senate in a floor speech by Walter Mondale with a refrain on his mentor's famous statement, "We are not introducing this act in the hope of creating, as some would say, a planned economy; rather, we are hoping instead to encourage an economy where there is planning." Humphrey-Hawkins was intended to follow up on the specific, enumerated goals of the ESA with a further commitment to driving down unemployment and inflation through all necessary measures, prioritizing first empowering private enterprise to do so but committing the government as a backstop; in tandem with the Humphrey-Hawkins, it was as close as the United States got to setting specific industrial policy and playing footsie with dirigisme, and not only helped push for further coordination by various government agencies as a mandate but also made clear that Congress was, as Senator Marty Russo of Illinois put it in a lengthy and eloquent speech in favor of the bill, "the strongest leg of the three-legged stool of American decision-making," integrating itself with the Federal Reserve and executive branch to coordinate economic, monetary and fiscal policy together.

Carey was more excited out this, arguably, than universal healthcare, and was outraged when the publicity around the priority legislation was overwhelmed by the strike. Republicans immediately sought to take advantage of the situation, with several running to C-SPAN cameras to remind the news that PATCO had endorsed Reagan in 1980. This messaging did not last long; in an interview on the fifth day of the strike, Reagan perfunctorily stated, when asked, how he would handle the strike: "I'd fire every last one of them." While this endeared him to a great many business leaders who remembered why they had backed his campaign, it forced Republicans to either agree with his politically extreme but perfectly legal suggestion, or elucidate their own solution. As the FAA scrambled to piece together temporary employees with modest success despite a cascade of cancelled flights, Carey decided that he was going to attempt a balancing act to split the baby and both act magnanimous for the cameras but also make very clear to both the strikers and the public that he was not going to fold. Unlike some of his more nervous advisors, Carey was confident that the public was generally unsympathetic to PATCO's more outlandish requests; thus, while giving a televised address from the Roosevelt Room to encourage Congress to pass Humphrey-Hawkins on October 11, 1981 - the ninth day of the strike, and the day after a federal court had handed down an injunction requiring the strikers to head back to work - he said the following:

"I should take a moment to comment more specifically here, as I'm sure you have all been hearing a great deal about it in the news, on the strike of air traffic controllers. I'm sure many of you have seen Mr. Bruce Poli, the head of the controllers union, it's called PATCO... now Mr. Poli has said a variety of things on the news this last week, most of them with which I agree, many of them where he and I would have to agree to disagree, and some things which are just plain incorrect. This administration, over the last nine months, has worked day in and day out to find solutions for the very difficult times many Americans find themselves in. In this meagre hour of our Republic's history, we find ourselves needing to engage in some level of mutual sacrifice. Unions all across America which do not enjoy the same protections and perks as federal employees have agreed to wage freezes, to hiring pauses, to reduced health care benefits, all in order to do their part. Many of the men and women in these unions do difficult and dangerous work, at great cost to their body and minds. Now, it is true that the members of PATCO have on average made less in salary, much less, than other organized federal employees over the last ten years. My administration's deal will correct that. It is also true that the FAA in previous years, for whatever reason, elected not to implement many of the safety recommendations or address the serious concerns about being overworked brought to their attention by our nation's air traffic controllers. Many of those recommendations are in process of being implemented as we speak, and once again, the package my administration has offered PATCO sets aside money to hire thousands of new controllers over the next decade to improve staffing, morale, and scheduling to prevent severe overwork and bring down overtime costs.

Now I am sure that many of you have heard about other demands made by Mr. Poli and the rest of the PATCO board, such as retirement at full pension well before any other federal employee, such as free international air travel for life, and a 32-hour workweek, a whole fifth shorter than almost any other worker in this country who is paid a full-time wage. These are all true - and these are points on which my administration has declined, after attempted negotiation, to agree to. The package we have put together will end the imbalance experienced by members of PATCO and make our nation's air traffic control system much safer, but most importantly it is fair. It is fair to the air traffic controllers, it is fair to taxpayers, and it is fair to the hard-working men and women of other unions all across America who would never dream of the kind of non-negotiables put on the table here. There has been a lot of talk in the last month since the marches over the Labor Day weekend about solidarity amongst the working-class people of this country, and perhaps it would do PATCO's members some good to start showing some. We have all done our part, and it is time for PATCO to do theirs. Mr. Poli - it's time to go back to work."

The "Mr. Poli" line at the end had been a riff Carey came up with on the spot, but it hit the mark. The bully pulpit still had some of its power, and while PATCO members would resent Carey for lecturing them condescendingly from the White House on national TV, their position looked to be increasingly eroding. The scabs at various ATC towers were now able to keep about 70% of flights flying, and while Carey had kept mum on whether he would go for the "break glass" option of starting firings of striking members who refused to return, the fact that it was on the table started to gnaw at some strikers who slowly trickled back. On October 18, after a strike of sixteen days, Poli called the strike off in order to come back to the negotiating table for a period of thirty days, but PATCO would wind up simply accepting their new contract, having clearly lost in the court of public opinion and their staring contest with the White House, especially when FAA negotiators made clear that if they walked again the DoT would exercise its ability to sack strikers.

Carey elected to simply move on, and Humphrey-Hawkins looked likely to pass in early November - but an important milestone in labor relations had been reached, one which started to suggest that the efficacy of the strike was dwindling but also that cooperation was still possible. At any rate, just ten days after the strike ended, it was quickly lost to memory by many Americas as events overseas arrived out of nowhere in one of the 1980s' most bizarre, brief and dangerous flashpoints occurred...

Good speech by Carey. Honestly strikes usually aren't the smart play; they seem most effective when management has catastrophically misplayed their hand or like a general strike that's more about like toppling a government.
At any rate, just ten days after the strike ended, it was quickly lost to memory by many Americas as events overseas arrived out of nowhere in one of the 1980s' most bizarre, brief and dangerous flashpoints occurred...
You sir, are a tease, I say.

Good speech by Carey. Honestly strikes usually aren't the smart play; they seem most effective when management has catastrophically misplayed their hand or like a general strike that's more about like toppling a government.

You sir, are a tease, I say.
Thank you! Yes, I think having a very pro-labor Dem come in and bluntly tell PATCO to take the best deal they’ll would have some impact, and Poli really overplayed his hand as it was IOTL.

Haha well fear not, the October Crisis will be covered next…

Whiskey on the Rocks - Part I
Whiskey on the Rocks - Part I

It was hard to say that neutrality had not worked out extremely well for Sweden. The country's wealth was built, in large part, on having been one of the few countries not to be invaded in either WW1 or WW2 and didn't suffer any kind of revolution or civil war in the interwar period; her exports of raw goods, embarrassingly by the mores of the 1970s primarily to Nazi Germany, had filled the country's coffers and helped her industries burgeon even as Swedish diplomats worked around the clock to provide refuge to Jews, even in the belly of the beast in Budapest, such as the efforts of Raoul Wallenberg. Unlike her culturally similar Nordic cousins of Norway and Denmark, which eagerly placed themselves under the NATO umbrella almost as soon as the idea of a North Atlantic Treaty was offered, Sweden had instead pursued its own middle path, dedicated to its position looking at the Cold War from the outside, its neutral posture allowing men like Dag Hammarskjold to rise to the top of the UN while its growing industries, intact in the postwar era, were able to produce cars, steel, ships, and aircraft [1] for European and international markets while building a robust welfare state under the continuous rule of the Social Democratic Party, which had come to power in 1936 and would hold power for the next 40 straight years.

Of course, Sweden's persona as a neutral utopia of social democracy, a warm and inviting land of red-painted cottages with white trim dotting the rolling snow-covered hills inhabited by tall and gorgeous blondes covered up a considerably more complicated society than met the eye. The dominance of the Social Democrats was made possible in part by tactical alliances with the Centre Party, a clientelist agrarian outfit of the peculiarly Nordic variety, and enjoying supply and confidence of the Swedish Communists, who were cordoned out of formal government but could be expected to carry the Social Democratic water if push ever came to shove. They were assisted further by a split opposition, with the Liberals and Moderates (the rebranded Conservative Party of old) as frequently at each other's (and, starting in the early 1970s, the Christian Democrats') throats as they were aligned against the incumbent party. This attracted a great many political figures to the governing party, and meant that there was a significant and tangible split between the party's right wing and its left wing that was sorted out at party congresses and in backroom debates rather than in front of the general public.

The central, indeed epochal, figure of postwar Sweden was Tage Erlander, known as "Sweden's longest Prime Minister" [2] both for his remarkable stature and that he served 23 consecutive years at the head of government, from 1946 to 1969. Erlander built the Swedish welfare state while managing to do it with buy-in from liberal-conservative parties, balancing the creation of robust universal health care, housing and education programs with foregoing any future nationalizations of industry (as in sharp contrast to how Labour, in much more traditionally conservative Britain, went about things), and doing all of it with income tax rates lower than the United States while having the fourth largest military budget on Earth. This was one of the tradeoffs Erlander had made clear was part of the equation - Sweden's neutrality, and indeed its "Strong Society," as he termed it, needed to be underwritten by its ability to unilaterally defend itself. For a time, this included eventually aborted attempts at an independent nuclear deterrent that eventually ran on the rocks of left-faction opposition and, well before that, the refusal of the Eisenhower administration to give Swedish scientists key assistance without the quid pro quo of signing up for NATO, but Sweden nonetheless had a vast military built on the foundation of mandatory universal conscription [3] with the third-largest air force in the world by the late 1960s as its crown jewel.

When Erlander resigned in 1969, he had overseen Sweden's rise from a rural resource-based economy on the periphery of Europe to an urbanizing, wealthy and vibrant society that was the envy of even some of the postwar boom's emerging major powers; indeed, it was the 10th largest economy in the world, a fact that would have been unbelievable just two generations earlier. [4] The Social Democratic Party had just earned an absolute majority in the Riksdag and would soon rewrite the relationship between monarch and government into an even more minute constitutional figurehead. Only the superpowers and Israel, in its famously unfriendly neighborhood, spent more on their militaries and had higher quality kit. It was hard to see, exactly, how the wheels could come off.

But come off they would. Erlander was a straightforward, no-nonsense, pragmatic man in the modest, small-c conservative Scandinavian tradition. His successor Olof Palme was a quarter-century his junior and of a very different generation politically. That Palme's name would come to be associated with radical left-wing politics both in Sweden and abroad was an accident of his youthful travels in the Americas; he was born to a wealthy, conservative and monarchist Lutheran family with deep, longstanding ties to German nobility (indeed he had direct Baltic German ancestry) and his namesake uncle had died a decade before he was born fighting on behalf of the Whites in the Finnish Civil War at the head of an anti-Communist battalion of Swedish volunteers. [5] Having gotten his start in politics as the head of the Social Democratic Youth League, Palme was nonetheless much more similar politically to the left-wing students who, in the spirit of the global uprisings of 1968, occupied the main student union at Stockholm University and who rallied against not just the Vietnam War but capitalism in general. [6] While certainly not entirely anti-capitalist, his chief political theory was that Sweden, having achieved great material wealth through its unique brand of social democracy, had a moral duty to export those duties abroad by leveraging her status as a rising power that punched above its weight economically, militarily and culturally, and one way for Sweden to do so was to emerge as the most prolific proponent abroad of selling a new program of progressive democracy that centered first and foremost on human rights.

This was not to say that Palme was uncontroversial at home - he greatly expanded Sweden's welfare state in the first half of the 70s and his efforts to improve the position of organized labor and job security drew the ire of a business community that had gotten along well with Erlander's more conciliatory rhetorical approach. But he was particularly a figure of scorn in the United States due to his unwavering belief that the superpowers were equally morally culpable for the atrocities of their client regimes in the Cold War; his arrival in office nearly exactly coincided with the Nixon administration, and in Richard Nixon, Olof Palme had found his perfect foil. The enmity was mutual; Palme's comparison of the Hanoi bombings in 1972 to the aerial destruction of Guernica and the horrors of the Treblinka death camp resulted in a formal break of Swedish-American relations, and he likely avoided an election defeat in 1973 thanks to the unfortunate timing of the Chilean coup, which Palme had zero doubts had been directly sponsored by Nixon, occurring mere days before appalled Swedes headed to the polls. [7]

The timing of the 1973 election was fortunate in other ways, as it occurred a month before the 1973 Arab oil embargo, which struck Sweden hard. Palme now had to govern as Prime Minister in the midst of the first genuine economic crisis Sweden had been subjected to since the Great Depression; the "record years" of 1946-73 being definitively over, Palme was now forced to navigate his way through his most difficult period yet, and in 1976 the Social Democrats lost an election for the first time in forty years. [8]

If Palme had worn out his welcome with the Swedish electorate (in no small part from defections of more old-school voters put off by his more socially progressive stances rather than old-fashioned social democratic laborism), Swedes would be treated to a debacle of remarkable proportions with what came next. The three-party coalition of the Centre, the Moderates and the Liberals agreed on little other than their mutual opposition to the tired and long-in-the-tooth incumbents, and Centre - as the largest rightist party - was able to propel its leader, Thorbjorn Falldin, into the Premiership. Falldin was a very different man from Palme; he was quiet and modest, renting out an apartment in Stockholm where he did his own cooking and took his own garbage out while his family tended his farm further north. He was also not the most talented politician, often struggling to manage the divergent personalities and ideologies of his coalition, and he was forced to resign as Prime Minister in 1978 due to the price shock but, probably just as likely, his opposition to nuclear energy (a rare area where the Swedish right and Palme were in strong agreement was on the development of a large and robust nuclear power base for Sweden as a transition from oil, especially post-1973). Ola Ullsten of the Liberals would replace him but after the indecisive general election of 1979, Falldin returned as PM and managed to stay on even after the referendum against nuclear power was defeated, in part thanks to Palme's intervention.

The coalition under Falldin similarly struggled in the face of an acute economic crisis, in which the Moderates argued for sharp tax and welfare cuts with the statement that it was now unaffordable for Sweden to maintain them and several core Swedish industries such as shipbuilding, steelmaking and forestry entering sharp declines. The unemployment rate in Sweden in the early 1980s was close to the European average despite jobs guarantees and its inflation ticked somewhat higher, and for longer, all while the government fought amongst itself, with the Moderates abandoning the coalition seeming imminent with Falldin's refusal to cave to their austerity demands in budget negotiations. Sweden, once a global darling, was flailing politically as its struggled to pull its way out of the economic malaise the whole of the Western world was still feeling in October of 1981.

And then, on the 27th of October, a Soviet submarine ran aground less than ten kilometers from the primary Swedish naval base at Karlskrona. [9]

[1] And missiles, rifles, etc, as Sweden has a robust arms industry going back to the Nobels
[2] This colloquialism doesn't translate perfectly to English, but that's what it is
[3] Lumpen, as its called in Sweden. It is also these days extremely easy to get out of (though post February 2022 may not be anymore) - my dad's allergies got him guarding some supply depot three nights a week, and that was back in the 80s. A lot of people do find their way into careers through it, though, or at least get assignments that interest them. My uncle got into practicing medicine from his time i Lumpen and my mom's cousin discovered his love of cooking working in the canteen on a naval vessel, and he's now a chef in Stockholm.
[4] Such as for those like my grandfather, born in crippling poverty as one of ten kids in remote rural Lapland in 1907
[5] Hat tip to @Zulfurium and his incomparable "A Day in July" (by far my favorite TL on this site) for tipping me off that this guy existed and had the same name as his very different nephew.
[6] Though ironically, Palme was in 1968 not very well-liked by student protestors, indeed he was a target of their ire
[7] I should note here that despite sharing a certain naiveté with other contemporary New Left types about what the North Vietnamese regime and Castro's Cuba were actually like, Palme was a vociferous opponent of Eastern European Communist regimes and was militantly outspoken against the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia in 1968; he particularly hated the Husak regime.
[8] Remarkable the staying power "natural parties of government" of all ideological stripes had post-WW2 from DC in Italy to Canada's Liberals to Japan's LDP
[9] So pretty much everything up to the Falldin government and even most of that material is all OTL Swedish history. This is me in part showing off a bit, as I wrote my senior thesis in college on Swedish neutrality in the Cold War so I'm quite familiar with this subject, and part of it is just giving context to this small part of the world that means a great deal to me and which, for whatever reason, I get a kick out of mildly screwing with in my TLs since OTL is about as much of an absurd Sweden-wank as you can get with a POD after Poltava.
(Also, cats out of the bag - the October Crisis is based on the Whiskey on the Rocks incident that IOTL saw cooler heads prevail but here, well...) special thanks to @Nazi Space Spy for bouncing this idea around a bit with me a few months ago!

Last edited:
Ooooooooooooh this.
I recall years ago reading a timeline on a small war escalating from this incident, glad to see it crop up in other timelines!

Ooooooooooooh this.
I recall years ago reading a timeline on a small war escalating from this incident, glad to see it crop up in other timelines!
Read that one too, shame it was never fully finished!

I also got turned on to a great Swedish political TL called “Think of the Djurgarden Boys” (written by @EvilSpaceAlien and Tayya) by @Nevran while we were bouncing around some ideas for Sweden in his/her terrific TL “Exocet.” Said Swedish TL has lots of Swedish political memes even I don’t entirely get but it’s a great read if you’re interested in more content about the best of the Nordic states 🙃🇸🇪

mspence

Banned
It was admittedly nice to see Sadat clean house.
I wonder if Carey will cause a split between New Deal and baby boomer union workers.
I'm sure the Russians just "got lost..."