As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Ok, so. About the Post-War Superman movie with the Sammy Fain style theme. I'm thinking that it should be TTL's version of the ''Clan of the Fiery Cross'' Radio Serial, with a subplot about Superman discovering his alien heritage. If the Fleischers hadn't lost everything, I'm sure that Stetson Kennedy would have been happy to put the Klan's acts of evil out on the big screen rather than through radio waves. For one thing, you reach more people through a visual medium.

Hopefully I can keep Fleischer Studios around longer, but it's gonna take me a bit to figure out how to resolve the feud between Dave and Max.

Also, I'm trying to figure out what to do with Terrytoons and the Selznick studio going forward.

Plus, we'll probably need to develop some fictional 4-F's to fill Fox's cartoon staff...unless 1942 is already too late...

Ok, reboot time...

Hopefully some old ideas will still make it here, come to think of, some tidying up might not be such a bad thing. Still sad we've lost the old TL though...

Either way, I hope that the studio makes more animated features before batman. At least one more if possible. They've only got two under their belt so far and Disney has about 5. From that link you sent, it seems that Max had something to do with an adaption of The Snow Queen. Perhaps the brothers could bond over that.

Either way, I hope that the studio makes more animated features before batman. At least one more if possible. They've only got two under their belt so far and Disney has about 5. From that link you sent, it seems that Max had something to do with an adaption of The Snow Queen. Perhaps the brothers could bond over that.

I sure hope so too. However, the debts that Dave and Max still owe to Paramount are still piling up.

IOTL, it was actually Dave that worked on the Russian version of the Snow Queen when Universal imported that to the States in the late 50's.

Bambi (1942 Film)
Bambi
scene-Bambi.jpg

Released by Walt Disney through United Artists in August of 1942

Based on the book Bambi: A Life in the Woods by Felix Salten

Supervising Director
David Hand

Sequence Directors
James Algar
Sam Armstrong
Graham Heid
Bill Roberts
Paul Satterfield
Norman Wright

Story Direction
Perce Pearce

Story Adaptation
Larry Morey

Story Development
Ralph Wright
Vernon Stallings
Mel Shaw
Chuck Couch
Carl Fallberg
Ralph Wright

Voices
Bobby Stewart as Baby Bambi
Donnie Dunagan as Young Bambi
Hardie Albright as Adolescent Bambi
John Sutherland as Adult Bambi
Peter Behn as Young Thumper
Tim Davis as Adolescent Thumper and Adolescent Flower
Sam Edwards as Adult Thumper
Stan Alexander as Young Flower
Sterling Holloway as Adult Flower
Cammie King as Young Faline
Ann Gillis as Adult Faline
Will Wright as Friend Owl
Paula Winslowe as Bambi's Mother
Fred Shields as The Great Prince of the Forest

After Bambi was released, the Disney studio began to focus solely on material to support the war effort.​

With another studio ding alice, should disney release babes in toy land, don quitixe cuurrier and ives or Hiawatha in 1951

Entertainment News for Fall 1942
@Goldwind2 Most likely Walt will make Peter Rabbit in 1946 and move the Brer Rabbit project back to 1951 at the latest.

Fleischer Studios sells the rights to the Friendly Ghost story back to Seymour Reit and Joe Oriolo to pay off debts to Paramount and National Comics.
- The Miami Herald

"Full steam ahead" says Leon Schlesinger when asked of his decision to keep Bob Clampett's Alice in Wonderland project in production despite increasing demand for military training and public service cartoons.
- The Los Angeles Times

Oriolo and Reit, who bought their Friendly Ghost treatment back from Max Fleischer, are offering their story concept to M-G-M, Terrytoons, Screen Gems, Schlesinger, Lantz, Disney and the newly reborn Harman-Ising studio.
- The New York World-Telegram

Former Schlesinger director Tex Avery finds a new home at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
- The Los Angeles Examiner

4-F's from all over the country lining up to take tryouts with 20th Century-Fox's new cartoon department. 20th's new animation branch will be helmed by veteran cartoonists Hugh Harman and Rudy Ising, both of whom were released from their M-G-M contracts late last year.
- The Los Angeles Herald-Express

Fleischer and Terrytoons contemplating a merger should a manpower shortage arise due to many artists going off to war, including Fleischer storyman and Popeye voice actor Jack Mercer.
- The New York Times

How is Disney doing financially so far? Same as OTL? I hope they become as successful as they were as quickly as they did in the first time line.

Entertainment News for Spring 1943
M55WLNIYBJBPBAHMRCQBJATI7A.jpg

Cartoonist Marjorie Henderson Buell aka "Marge" (above) is entertaining offers from Fleischer, Terrytoons, M-G-M, Harman-Ising, Schlesinger and Lantz to bring her comic strip character Little Lulu into animated cartoon form.
- The Hollywood Reporter

MV5BZDZiMjEzMTItMDQ3YS00OWZmLWI3M2UtZTU2OTVjMWYzYmMyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDU4MDA0NTM@._V1_.jpg

Schlesinger's Horton Hatches the Egg (above), based on the Dr. Seuss book (below), wins the Oscar for Best Cartoon for 1942-43.
1249250206.jpg

Fleischer and Terrytoons merging would be the best thing for the two companies at this point in time. It'd probably be the only way for the two to survive. Fleischer should totally get Lulu as well to make up for the loss of The Friendly Ghost, which, in my mind, should go to Fox.

Saludos Amigos (1943 Film)
Saludos Amigos
Saludos_amigos-classici-disney.jpg

Released by Walt Disney through United Artists in February of 1943.

The first of two films Walt Disney produced in support of President Roosevelt's Good Neighbor Policy.

Directors
Norman Ferguson
Wilfred Jackson
Jack Kinney
Hamilton Luske
Bill Roberts

Story
Homer Brightman
Ted Sears
Ralph Wright
Webb Smith
Bill Cottrell
Joe Grant
Dick Huemer
Roy Williams
Harold Reeves

Narration
Frank Shields

Cartoon Voices
Clarence Nash as Donald Duck
Pinto Colvig as Goofy
Jose Oliveira as Jose Carioca

Live Action Cameos
Walt Disney
Norman Ferguson
Stuart Buchanan
Frank Thomas
Mary Blair
Lee Blair
Frank Graham

Next update:
Bob Clampett's version of
Alice in Wonderland

Fleischer and Terrytoons merging would be the best thing for the two companies at this point in time. It'd probably be the only way for the two to survive. Fleischer should totally get Lulu as well to make up for the loss of The Friendly Ghost, which, in my mind, should go to Fox.

Could Fox be the home to the other Harvey characters, or Fleischer keep some of them?

Should it be Fleischer-Terry or Terry-Fleischer?

Anyways...

March 11, 1943
Fleischer Headquarters
Miami, Florida

Paul Terry and Max Fleischer's first meeting to discuss the merger...
did-we-just-become-best-friends.jpg

Could Fox be the home to the other Harvey characters, or Fleischer keep some of them?
They should keep some of them, yes. The only way for them to compete with Disney is to have a strong Library of characters at their disposal. Also, it should be Fleischer-Terry. Maybe together, they'll be able to make some more features.

@Igeo654

Okay so...

Fox gets
Casper the Friendly Ghost
Wendy the Good Little Witch

Fleischer-Terry gets
Terrytoons characters

To be determined:
Herman and Katnip
Little Audrey
Stumbo the Giant
Baby Huey
Hot Stuff the Little Devil

Fox can have Baby Huey, Herman and Katnip and Little Audrey. FT can have everything else plus Little Lulu and Lotta and of course, Richie Rich. Also, quick suggestion, maybe Fleischer-Terry should do something related to Brer Rabbit instead of Disney? They'd probably do a better job with the material, plus they'd probably try their best to own up to it in case something did go wrong.

Last edited: