As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Parent Teacher Conference
February 12, 1974

The Gregg School
Southampton, England

Virgil Ramsay Hartwell
(Instructor)

"Good afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Abbott. Please be seated. From the looks of Daniel's grades this term, the subjects where he most excels are doing silly voices at lunch hour and drawing cartoons in his notebook. Here is a brochure for the Richard Williams Studio in London if that's what he wishes to do when he graduates."

Doug Abbott
(Daniel's father)

"Are you calling my boy a bloody idiot?"

Dr. Hartwell
"On the contrary, YOU are the bloody idiot. Your son has a lot of potential as an artist and I suggest you acknowledge that fact."​
That is surprisingly wholesome of Dr. Hartwell to encourage Daniel Abbott's hobbies for the purpose of his future.

That is surprisingly wholesome of Dr. Hartwell to encourage Daniel Abbott's hobbies for the purpose of his future.

For more context....

"Doc Hartwell had a Jerry Lewis/Nutty Professor vibe to him that kept us all engaged in our learning. During that time, Doc was a newcomer to teaching...about 40ish...the rest of the faculty, including the headmaster, were in their sixties or seventies. From a kilometer away, Doc could sense Daniel's frustration over being creatively stifled by both his father and the other teachers, whom Doc deemed to be stuffy and out of touch. The headmaster even came out and tried to accuse Doc of being a 'hippie agitator,' which was utter bollocks. Had it not been for Doc, I don't know how Daniel would've escaped his incestuous lunatic parents."
- Ian Ledbetter; Daniel's childhood friend

For more context....

"Doc Hartwell had a Jerry Lewis/Nutty Professor vibe to him that kept us all engaged in our learning. During that time, Doc was a newcomer to teaching...about 40ish...the rest of the faculty, including the headmaster, were in their sixties or seventies. From a kilometer away, Doc could sense Daniel's frustration over being creatively stifled by both his father and the other teachers, whom Doc deemed to be stuffy and out of touch. The headmaster even came out and tried to accuse Doc of being a 'hippie agitator,' which was utter bollocks. Had it not been for Doc, I don't know how Daniel would've escaped his incestuous lunatic parents."
- Ian Ledbetter; Daniel's childhood friend
This sounds like perfect documentary material to me.

I just gotta ask now, but did Daniel ever quote Bugs Bunny's catchphrase when greeting his teacher, even if it's a one-time thing?

Sorry for the delay guys.

Walt Disney, Jr. on the Robin Hood aftermath:
"Dad was pretty incensed by the amount of reused Snow White animation in the Phony King of England sequence. That, I think was the number one thing that led to Wolfgang Reitherman being shown the door after so many years."

So where did Reitherman go after that?

Junior: "
For a while, we haven't any clue if he regained his footing somewhere else or just retired from the business. Rumors were that he went to Canada to join an outfit called Nelvana...Some said he went to Famous Studios...Others said maybe Hanna-Barbera or Filmation."

Junior (Cont'd): "And right before he left, Wolfgang made the suggestion to have Dolly Parton play Belle in Beauty and the Beast. None of us knew who she was quite yet, but I think she submitted an unsolicited demo recording."​

"I can't stress enough how important Doc Hartwell was to Daniel's life. My parent teacher meeting was right after Daniel's. As my mum and I waited for our turn, we could overhear Daniel's father, Lt. Abbott shouted 'no son of mine will ever be a wimpy, bloody cartoonist.' That really boiled my blood. How could a parent not appreciate their own child's gift for art? Daniel made many drawings in his notebook that I thought were marvelous."

"Later that night, we heard a pounding on our door. It was Daniel. He had a faint bruise on his cheek and a black eye. He said his parents got into a verbal fight about his future and his father turned violent. We telephoned the police right away and Daniel spent the rest of the week in hospital to receive treatment for his wounds."
- Yvonne Bartlett
Childhood friend of Daniel Abbott

"I can't stress enough how important Doc Hartwell was to Daniel's life. My parent teacher meeting was right after Daniel's. As my mum and I waited for our turn, we could overhear Daniel's father, Lt. Abbott shouted 'no son of mine will ever be a wimpy, bloody cartoonist.' That really boiled my blood. How could a parent not appreciate their own child's gift for art? Daniel made many drawings in his notebook that I thought were marvelous."

"Later that night, we heard a pounding on our door. It was Daniel. He had a faint bruise on his cheek and a black eye. He said his parents got into a verbal fight about his future and his father turned violent. We telephoned the police right away and Daniel spent the rest of the week in hospital to receive treatment for his wounds."
- Yvonne Bartlett
Childhood friend of Daniel Abbott
At this rate, I'd be surprised if Daniel didn't develop either a drinking problem to cope with his past, or extreme levels of PTSD. Because I'd probably get both if I were treated like he was.

On a lighter note, Dolly Parton as Belle? That is an interesting difference for sure!

At this rate, I'd be surprised if Daniel didn't develop either a drinking problem to cope with his past, or extreme levels of PTSD. Because I'd probably get both if I were treated like he was.

On a lighter note, Dolly Parton as Belle? That is an interesting difference for sure!
yeah that could be a possibility if @OldNavy1988 wants it in this timeline belle with a southern accent.

1) Most likely, it'll still be the Boba Fett segment from the Star Wars Holiday Special that becomes the first animated project based on the show. It is likely that Marvel Productions could directly evolve from Grantray-Lawrence before that.
What would happen to G.I. Joe and Transformers considering Marvel Productions had involvement in both of those series?