As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Great post! Glad to see the return of the State of the Animation Industry updates and hope that more will come in the future.

I also have a idea for Casper and Molly McGee that Scratch is one of Casper's uncles.

Ranma 1/2
5385-SeriesHeaders_RAN_2000x800_final.jpg

English dub produced by 20th Century-Fox Television.
Airs weeknights after Urusei Yatsura reruns on Video Hits One (VH1).
Launched on September 9, 1991.

Main Voices
Gedde Watanabe as Ranma Saotome
Hayley Mills as Nodoka Saotome
Pat Morita as Genma Saotome
Venus Terzo as Akane Tendo
Haviland Morris as Nabiki Tendo
Jenette Goldstein as Pantyhose Taro
Mako Iwamatsu as Happosai
Jonathan Freeman as Suon Tendo
Uma Thurman as Cologne
Robert Downey, Jr. as Tatewaki Kuno
Peter Renaday as the Junsenkyo Guide
Barry Gordon as Tofu Ono
Paige O'Hara as Kasumi Tendo

Closing Logo for Season One (1991-92)

Closing Logo for Season Two (1992-93)
What time and day?

Sorry for not checking out this timeline in a while, but I'm here now.
WARNER BROS.
Warner got burned pretty badly by the disappointing box office returns for Looney Tunes: Back in Action. Chuck Jones, 87, has now officially retired from the animation business after a stunning career lasting over 60 years. And after roughly ten years at Warner Bros., it looks like Tom Ruegger is on his way out.
This does not look good for WB right about now.
DREAMWORKS SKG
Cats was unable to compete with Stuart Little this past Christmas. Even with that box office defeat, DreamWorks will proceed with future Andrew Lloyd Webber projects, like Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, which will be released for Thanksgiving of 2000. After that, look for DreamWorks and PDI to team up again when they release Shrek in the Summer of 2001.
Cool!
HANNA-BARBERA
This year will mark 60 years since Bill Hanna and Joe Barbera gave the world Tom and Jerry. Look for Bill and Joe to give us one last Tom and Jerry project in collaboration with United Artists sometime this year. This year will also be the 40th Anniversary of The Flintstones, who will make their primetime return to ABC this fall. On the big screen, Hanna-Barbera has Hey Arnold! The Movie lined up for a Summer 2002 release. But HB will need to settle on an exact date quickly to avoid getting the football head punted by Sailor Moon 3, Carmen Sandiego or the second Star Wars prequel.
New T&J and Flintstones projects? That sounds wonderful!
Also, maybe release Hey Arnold!: The Movie in mid-July?
KLASKY-CSUPO
Klasky-Csupo has been on a roll with Rugrats, The Wild Thornberrys and Rocket Power for Nickelodeon. Look for As Told By Ginger later this fall as The Jim Henson Company retools its Saturday Morning output under the Nick on ABC banner.
This has me intrigued.
DiC
A piece of real estate in DiC's animation library has been vacated thanks to Disney's acquisition of the Carmen Sandiego franchise. But with Saban's recent acquisition of New Line Cinema, DiC will take over the next season of RoboCop: Alpha Commando from Film Roman. In addition, DiC will now have access to New Line's stake in the Goosebumps franchise, with a possible animated movie planned for a 2003 release. Other than that, Andy Heyward is under relentless pressure to crank out new, lucrative franchises and fast.
Well, they do have Inspector Gadget and Ulysses 31 to potentially reboot, but otherwise? Yeah, DIC Entertainment might not be doing so hot right about now.
NELVANA
Nelvana's long-standing relationships with Hasbro and Nintendo remain strong. Look for a feature length adaptation of The Legend of Zelda to reach theatres at some point in 2002. Nelvana intends to cast Haley Joel Osment as the voice of Link, fresh off his Oscar-nominated performance in New Line's remake of The Sixth Sense. Nelvana also hopes to get Zelda Williams to provide the voice for, you guessed it, Zelda.
Great casting call for the leads.
UNIVERSAL
Universal chairman Brian Grazer is looking to hire Tom Ruegger to revitalize a once-proud cartoon studio reduced to making direct-to-video sequels to An American Tail along with Archie's Weird Mysteries for the USA Cartoon Express.
Honestly, they might need Ruegger's help on this one. I'm afraid WB might need a new head for the animation department quicker than I figured.
SCREEN GEMS
Look for the Justice League animated series to reach CBS's Saturday Morning lineup in Fall 2001. Until then, look for Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker in theatres this Thanksgiving.
Great!
RANKIN-BASS
RB's biggest hit has been Arthur on UPN's Saturday Morning lineup. In primetime, King of the Hill has held steady in competition with The Simpsons, Futurama and Family Guy. Look for Frosty the Snowman and other Rankin-Bass Holiday specials to move from rival networks to UPN and Odyssey beginning this December.
Well, this shows promise. And since Arthur just ended tonight, I believe Rankin-Bass is good to go until 2023 if they only produce Arthur content.
RUBY-SPEARS
Cartoon Network chief Betty Cohen looks to build on the momentum generated by the unexpected smash success of Spongebob Squarepants. One project that has piqued Betty's interest is Chris Savino's pitch about a boy living in a family with ten siblings.
Spongebob and Loud House on Cartoon Network in the 2000's? That just screams potential.
MURAKAMI-WOLF-SWENSON
Down, but not out, MWS has entered the bidding war for Tom Ruegger's services. For the studio itself, Bally and NBC/RKO will each go head to head.
I think I'd rather have NBC/RKO buy MWS, and Tom Ruegger goes to either WB or Universal for the next year or so.
CINEGROUPE
This Montreal based studio is not new to the animation business, but they turned a few heads with The Kids from Room 402 on the USA Cartoon Express. Their most recent acquisition is the rights to a series of children's books written by Australian author Andy Griffiths (not related to TV icon Andy Griffith). This book series, about a mischievous teenage boy who tries to perform elaborate practical jokes, will be adapted for television under the title What's With Andy?. Now the question becomes "Who will be interested in Andy?" Potential distributors include New Line Cinema, Lionsgate, Hollywood Pictures or RKO.
Room 402 being a surprising hit interested me, but I'd go with New Line, Hollywood, or RKO for the distributor of Andy. Sorry, Lionsgate.
PIXAR
Look for Monsters, Inc. in 2001. Brad Bird, who clashed constantly with Universal management over the direction of The Iron Giant, is looking to pitch The Incredibles to Pixar or another studio.
Well, I'd keep the Incredibles at Pixar. Who knows, maybe they'd have a crossover with all the other Hanna-Barbera action cartoons of the time.
DISNEY
Don Bluth confirmed to several news sources that he intends to retire and hand the reigns over to Daniel Abbott. On the big screen, look for Dragon's Lair and The Emperor's New Groove in 2000. After that, look for Atlantis: The Lost Empire in 2001 and Lilo and Stitch in 2002. On the small screen, the coming years should bring us Casper and Molly McGee, Kim Possible, The Proud Family and X-Men: Evolution.
The Disney Renaissance looks to be chugging along at a brisk pace. And on top of that, an earlier version of Molly McGee, but with Casper the Friendly Ghost being her sidekick does interest me as much as the other things in production for the animation industry.
GRANTRAY-LAWRENCE
The Simpsons have been renewed for at least three more years. Family Guy so far has proven to be a worthy competitor on Fox's primetime lineup. Ditto Futurama. Now the question becomes if Seth MacFarlane can stay on the same page with Daniel Abbott in the coming years. The Backstreet Project will have its final season in the Fall of 2000, with the Boys citing creative burnout and wanting to take a break from touring.
If Seth does end up leaving, maybe Family Guy and other Fuzzy Door productions can move direction to Turner and their companies?
FILM ROMAN
Could this be the end of Film Roman? Not yet, but to bail out this aging studio, they literally need a bailout for Phil to keep the lights on.
Ouch. Could I suggest having Golden Harvest, Lionsgate, Sony, or Universal buy them up?
Here it is folks! As the 500 page limit draws near, follow me to the Part Deux thread:

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/as-dreamers-do-part-deux.524464/
Can't wait to see that baby in action!

Sorry for not checking out this timeline in a while, but I'm here now.

This does not look good for WB right about now.

Cool!

New T&J and Flintstones projects? That sounds wonderful!
Also, maybe release Hey Arnold!: The Movie in mid-July?

This has me intrigued.

Well, they do have Inspector Gadget and Ulysses 31 to potentially reboot, but otherwise? Yeah, DIC Entertainment might not be doing so hot right about now.

Great casting call for the leads.

Honestly, they might need Ruegger's help on this one. I'm afraid WB might need a new head for the animation department quicker than I figured.

Great!

Well, this shows promise. And since Arthur just ended tonight, I believe Rankin-Bass is good to go until 2023 if they only produce Arthur content.

Spongebob and Loud House on Cartoon Network in the 2000's? That just screams potential.

I think I'd rather have NBC/RKO buy MWS, and Tom Ruegger goes to either WB or Universal for the next year or so.

Room 402 being a surprising hit interested me, but I'd go with New Line, Hollywood, or RKO for the distributor of Andy. Sorry, Lionsgate.

Well, I'd keep the Incredibles at Pixar. Who knows, maybe they'd have a crossover with all the other Hanna-Barbera action cartoons of the time.

The Disney Renaissance looks to be chugging along at a brisk pace. And on top of that, an earlier version of Molly McGee, but with Casper the Friendly Ghost being her sidekick does interest me as much as the other things in production for the animation industry.

If Seth does end up leaving, maybe Family Guy and other Fuzzy Door productions can move direction to Turner and their companies?

Ouch. Could I suggest having Golden Harvest, Lionsgate, Sony, or Universal buy them up?

Can't wait to see that baby in action!
The new thread is already up and running if you're interested.

Excerpts from a Press Conference announcing John Kricfalusi's arrest
Held at Parker Center (LAPD Headquarters)
March 10, 1982

Griffin-Bell11.24.16-1024x738-1480177278.jpeg

Griffin Bell
Attorney General of the United States

"Good afternoon. I am honored to stand alongside Los Angeles County District Attorney Robert Philibosian, Robert S. Mueller III, Assistant United States Attorney for the Central District of California, as well as the State of California's Attorney General George Deukmejian."

"Yesterday, the FBI arrested 26 year old Canadian national Michael John Kricfalusi, charging him with three counts of bribery and five counts of child enticement."

"Mr. Kricfalusi was entrusted by his bosses with the privilege of using his talent to help the Hanna-Barbera cartoon studio build on its success as the standard bearer for quality family entertainment. Instead, Mr. Krifcalusi stands accused of using his creative gifts to circumvent the authority of the Screen Cartoonists Association of America and its Cartoon Czar's office."

Robert S. Mueller III
"Mr. Kricfalusi is also accused of giving monetary bribes to several members of the National Broadcasting Company's department of broadcast standards and practices. Three of NBC's censors are now in federal custody for accepting those bribes. This was the result of objections raised by the network over the content of the Eastland Girls episode titled 'Home Economics,' for which Kricfalusi is credited as the sole writer. In that episode, a young boy named Todd, who is depicted as being the same age as the main girls on the show, is clunked on the head with a baseball bat and dragged into the dormitory where the girls live and study. Todd is then shown donning a diaper and a baby bonnet while sitting on an oversized high chair and fed with a baby bottle. All of this is culmination of the home economics lesson being given by Mrs. Garrett, the housemother of the dormitory."

Bell
"Over a three and a half year span, Mr. Kricfalusi attempted to lure child actresses such as Mindy Feldman, Dana Plato, Molly Ringwald, Felice Shachter and Nancy McKeon to his residence for the purposes of committing obscene acts with minors. Because of the repeated attempts to entice these young ladies, Mr. Krifcfalusi is currently being held without bail."

"A trial date will be discussed at a later date. Now I am happy to answer any questions."​
HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY

The devil's in jail.

Perhaps an MLP movie could happen with this trio in mind? I mean, Hasbro could provide the license, Nelvana could make the film, since Care Bears exists, and TriStar could distribute it. Heck, with TriStar's involvement, maybe the franchise can include pegasi as a reference to their logo? Hey, I'm just spitballing here.
Good idea. I like the way you think kid.

While Disney's American Odyssey be openig. I assume it will because it is takign the place of tokyo disney sea and it open in 2001 just like disney's calfornia adventure. Plently of idea for the park were brainstorme elaire include alaska setion with a mount denili seciton and the dealy chill haunted house that was used in trumps great american wonderland in american magic 1.0. If you are having trouble reambering the idea for diseny oddesy i will be happy to serach the thread for them include acrations used at great american wonder and pm them to you.

So, in other words, not only do OTL John K.'s most successful pre-R&S projects get to continue past their runs, and receive better praise and profits while doing so, but Ray Spum has been given his pink slip?

If it wasn't for the bad timing of this note, given how Kricfalusi was recently given the chance to roam free again, I would have cheered at the sight of this.
Wait what happened to John K. ITTL?