As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

SWEET! Was it as fun as you'd hoped?
Or did the pandemic make it more subdued?
Actually, it was scaled back by about a third or so.

There weren't any Hall H panels, but John Cena showed up to the masquerade. All in all, I felt more comfortable at this year's show than at the last few pre-Covid Cons. There was only about 30 or 40,000 compared to 100,000 in the past. There was more room to walk and more tables to sit down in the exhibit hall. Also, I was able to get into panels walking up to the auditorium right away instead of lining up hours in advance.

Actually, it was scaled back by about a third or so.

There weren't any Hall H panels, but John Cena showed up to the masquerade. All in all, I felt more comfortable at this year's show than at the last few pre-Covid Cons. There was only about 30 or 40,000 compared to 100,000 in the past. There was more room to walk and more tables to sit down in the exhibit hall. Also, I was able to get into panels walking up to the auditorium right away instead of lining up hours in advance.
So about half and half?
Scaled back so there was less there, but far fewer people making it easier and more fun/relaxing to actually do the things there were?
Also did John Cena ride in on his purple cow? 😛

Titanic (1997 Film)
maxresdefault.jpg

Titanic
Released by TriStar Pictures on December 19, 1997

Cast and Crew
Same as OTL

Notes
- Titanic would go on to win most of the same Oscars it won IOTL.
- As of 1997 ITTL, Leonardo DiCaprio has now appeared in TWO of the highest grossing films of all time, Titanic and Avengers: Endgame.
- Titanic will headline Columbia-TriStar Home Video's entry into the DVD market in the fall of 1998.

Highest Grossing Films of All Time as of 1997
1) Avengers: Endgame (1997; 20th Century-Fox)
2) Jurassic Park (1993; Universal)
3) Titanic (1997; TriStar)
4) ET: The Extra Terrestrial (1982; Walt Disney)
5) Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988; 20th Century-Fox)
6) Star Wars: A New Hope (1977; 20th Century-Fox)
7) Back to the Future: Part I (1985; Universal)
8) The Lion King (1994; Walt Disney)
9) Batman (1989; Columbia)
10) Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981; 20th Century-Fox)
11) Jaws (1975; Universal)
12) The Godfather (1972; Paramount)​

I've got an idea for the origin of the Hyde formula in this universe. Namely that it was created because Jekyll was working to recreate the formula used to bring Adam back to life from memory. My idea is that the original formula was either totally lost or damaged when the mob attempts to burn down the lab at the end of the movie.

Jackie Brown (1997 Film)
74608-miramax.jpg

Jackie Brown
Released Christmas Day 1997 by Golden Harvest

Written and Directed by
Quentin Tarantino

Produced by
Lawrence Bender

Executive Producers
Haim Saban
Shuki Levy
Raymond Chow

Notes
At the Hollywood premiere of Jackie Brown, a Golden Harvest spokesperson let slip that a Fox Force Five project was in the works with the Spice Girls.​

Entertainment News for November and December 1997
Set your VCR's! The Backstreet Project is set for a February 1998 debut on Fox.
- MTV News

Mouse Hunt debuts in theatres as the very first release for DreamWorks SKG.
- Variety

UPN renews Sabrina the Teenage Witch for the next two years.
- TV Guide

Columbia-TriStar holds a press conference for Michael Keaton's retirement from the Batman role. Keaton told reporters that age was beginning to catch up to him.
- CBS News

The USA Network was fined $5 million USD by the FCC over a profane on air rant by WWA commentator Jim Cornette during an October episode of Monday Night Raw. During his tirade, an unbleeped Cornette unleashes his fury on WCW superstars Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair, claiming the two wrestling veterans are hogging the spotlight at the expense of younger talent.
- Entertainment Tonight

Set your VCR's! The Backstreet Project is set for a February 1998 debut on Fox.
- MTV News
Regardless of whether or not the Fall 1997 Schedule threadmark already mentioned this, it's still a cool announcement.
Mouse Hunt debuts in theatres as the very first release for DreamWorks SKG.
- Variety
Perfect! And it gives Universal another mouse in their house after the days of Fievel Mouskewitz!
UPN renews Sabrina the Teenage Witch for the next two years.
- TV Guide
So, is UPN the first network to air Sabrina ITTL?
Columbia-TriStar holds a press conference for Michael Keaton's retirement from the Batman role. Keaton told reporters that age was beginning to catch up to him.
- CBS News
Fair enough. So, any comic fans willing to suggest new actors for the Dark Knight?
The USA Network was fined $5 million USD by the FCC over a profane on air rant by WWA commentator Jim Cornette during an October episode of Monday Night Raw. During his tirade, an unbleeped Cornette unleashes his fury on WCW superstars Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair, claiming the two wrestling veterans are hogging the spotlight at the expense of younger talent.
- Entertainment Tonight
USA? More like U Stink Ashtrays!
(NOTE: I am saying this in case I get punished for accidental profanity on my end.)

- Entertainment Tonight
Yep, definitely a Corny move. That being said he has a very high respect for Flair.

Last edited:
Christmas 1997 Movies
image-w1280.jpg

MouseHunt
The first release from DreamWorks SKG

balto_1995_photo_hero.jpg

Balto
Released by Universal Pictures
Produced by Universal Cartoon Studios

the-postman-1997.jpg

The Postman
Released by Warner Bros.

MV5BODg2NDUzNzk4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDA3OTcxNA@@._V1_.jpg

Amistad
Released by Universal Pictures.

tomorrow_never_dies.jpg

Tomorrow Never Dies
Released by Turner under the United Artists label.

241188-science-fiction-alien-resurrection-screenshot.jpg

Xenomorph: Resurrection
Released by Carolco
After this film was released, Veronica Cartwright announced her retirement from the Ellen Ripley role.

good_will_hed.jpg

Good Will Hunting
Released by Golden Harvest
When this film premiered in Boston, Ben Affleck let slip that he was already talking to Columbia-TriStar about playing a younger Dark Knight.

24fa88426c4d000cde91823866e9255140adea4740fad5927c0038afb4756edb._RI_V_TTW_.jpg

Scream 2
Released by Golden Harvest​