As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Entertainment News for Spring 1969
In a shocking turn of events, Walt Disney, Sr. announces the creation of a new division of his entertainment empire. Hyperion Pictures will be headed by Walt, Jr. and will specialize in content containing mature themes and other elements that would otherwise be out of step with the family friendly Disney core brand.
- The Hollywood Reporter

MGM shareholders vote to reject Kirk Kerkorian's proposed purchase of the studio.
- The LA Times

Desilu rumored to be interested in purchasing DC Comics.
- The New York Times

Westinghouse and Metromedia formally submit their joint proposal for a fourth or possibly fifth television network to the FCC.
- The Washington Post

After failing to acquire ABC, Howard Hughes acquires a majority stake of Sports Network, Inc with plans to rename it Hughes Television Network.
- The New York Times

If Gulf+Western buys Desilu like in OTL, and if the rest of its history plays out also like IOTL, will we see Paramount be responsible for films like the Christopher Reeve version of Superman and the Tim Burton version of Batman?

Entertainment News for Mid-Summer 1969
Walt Disney Productions officially opens its Hyperion division for screenwriters looking for an outlet to pitch movie ideas.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Jay Ward's next animated project, Karen Sympathy, about a female secret agent, will debut on NBC this fall.
- The New York Times

FCC continues to undergo the due diligence process on Westinghouse and Metromedia's TV network proposal.
- The Washington Post

Bipartisan, international effort to block proposed AFL/NFL/CFL mega-merger picks up steam in both Washington and Ottawa.
- The Toronto Star

Warner Bros. acquires the North American rights to an obscure Japanese cartoon whose title roughly translates to Hey, I'm Guzura!
- TV Guide

Apollo 11
"It's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
- Neil Armstrong

5d2faa4d7e76cc3f20437ff6

Buzz Aldrin on the moon surface.

Alice in Wonderland (1969 Version)
Alice in Wonderland
56302.jpg

The poster above is actually from the OTL 1974 reissue. I thought it would still fit the psychedelic marketing I hinted at earlier. Keep in mind that the animation is still being produced with the Xerox process. As a consequence, the character outlines are not as smooth as the OTL film from 1951.

Released by Walt Disney, Sr. on August 22, 1969

Directed by
Wolfgang Reitherman

Story
Larry Clemmons
Ken Anderson
Bill Peet
Ralph Wright
Floyd Norman
Xavier Atencio
T. Hee

Supervising Animators
Frank Thomas
Ollie Johnston
John Lounsbery
Milt Kahl

Character Animators
Eric Larson
Hal King
Bill Justice
Fred Hellmich
Julius Svendsen
Dick Lucas
Eric Cleworth
Don Bluth
Ted Berman
Dave Michener
Burny Mattinson
Whitey Larkin*

*fictional animator

Layout
Basil Davidovich
Don Griffith
Sylvia Roemer

Backgrounds
Al Dempster
Art Riley
Thelma Witmer

VOICES
Olivia Hussey as Alice
Danny Kaye as the White Rabbit
Sterling Holloway as the Cheshire Cat
Ringo Starr as the Caterpillar
Frank Gorshin as the Mad Hatter
Cesar Romero as the March Hare
Don Messick as the Dormouse
Sidney James as the Dodo
Mel Blanc as Bill the Lizard
J. Pat O'Malley as Tweedledee and Tweedledum
Kenneth Williams as the Doorknob
Clive Dunn as the Carpenter
June Foray as the Queen of Hearts
David Tomlinson as the King of Hearts
Lord Tim Hudson and Chad Stuart as Card Soldiers

Music by
George Bruns

Songs by
Richard M. Sherman
Robert B. Sherman

Narration by Peter Coyote (From the 1999 TV special Behind the Looking Glass)
"Upon its original release, Alice in Wonderland would earn a crossover appeal with the counterculture crowd that flocked to a reissue of Fantasia earlier that year."

"Walt struggled and struggled to get his version of Alice in Wonderland on screen. But it is kinda funny how things worked out when we learned how the film was being embraced by the hippie crowd at the time."
- Floyd Norman (2009 interview)

"Walt's version still takes a lot of creative liberties, but nowhere near as blatant as Bob Clampett did roughly a quarter century earlier."
- Charles Solomon; Animation Historian (2009 interview)

"It's true. Plenty of people dropped acid before they took their seats to watch the film. I remember, in the row in front of me, there was a dad who brought his son and daughter to see the movie and he was high as a kite halfway through it."
- Walt Disney, Jr.

Walt Disney Productions officially opens its Hyperion division for screenwriters looking for an outlet to pitch movie ideas.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Jay Ward's next animated project, Karen Sympathy, about a female secret agent, will debut on NBC this fall.
- The New York Times

FCC continues to undergo the due diligence process on Westinghouse and Metromedia's TV network proposal.
- The Washington Post

Bipartisan, international effort to block proposed AFL/NFL/CFL mega-merger picks up steam in both Washington and Ottawa.
- The Toronto Star

Warner Bros. acquires the North American rights to an obscure Japanese cartoon whose title roughly translates to Hey, I'm Guzura!
- TV Guide
1: Might I suggest Tron becoming part of the Hyperion lineup ITTL, but keeping its IOTL release date?

2: So the one character worth giving a nut in the Rocky and Bullwinkle live-action movie would end up having some past awareness ITTL. I like it!

3: Is it me, or would Urusei Yatsura and Kimba the White Lion fit right at home among the crowd at Warner Bros?

1: Might I suggest Tron becoming part of the Hyperion lineup ITTL, but keeping its IOTL release date?

2: So the one character worth giving a nut in the Rocky and Bullwinkle live-action movie would end up having some past awareness ITTL. I like it!

3: Is it me, or would Urusei Yatsura and Kimba the White Lion fit right at home among the crowd at Warner Bros?

1. That would be a nice idea.

2. Yup. You heard correctly.

3. I am not too sure when those titles came out, but it might be a little early to tell.

1978 and 1965 respectively.
The anime adaptation of Urusei Yatsura came out in 1981, but I'm pretty sure that Nelvana would also be a good fit to not only dub, but also co-produce Urusei Yatsura's anime adaptation and the films and OVAs that came out of it ITTL.

Last edited:
Alice in Wonderland
56302.jpg

The poster above is actually from the OTL 1974 reissue. I thought it would still fit the psychedelic marketing I hinted at earlier. Keep in mind that the animation is still being produced with the Xerox process. As a consequence, the character outlines are not as smooth as the OTL film from 1951.

Released by Walt Disney, Sr. on August 22, 1969

Directed by
Wolfgang Reitherman

Story
Larry Clemmons
Ken Anderson
Bill Peet
Ralph Wright
Floyd Norman
Xavier Atencio
T. Hee

Supervising Animators
Frank Thomas
Ollie Johnston
John Lounsbery
Milt Kahl

Character Animators
Eric Larson
Hal King
Bill Justice
Fred Hellmich
Julius Svendsen
Dick Lucas
Eric Cleworth
Don Bluth
Ted Berman
Dave Michener
Burny Mattinson
Whitey Larkin*

*fictional animator

Layout
Basil Davidovich
Don Griffith
Sylvia Roemer

Backgrounds
Al Dempster
Art Riley
Thelma Witmer

VOICES
Olivia Hussey as Alice
Danny Kaye as the White Rabbit
Sterling Holloway as the Cheshire Cat
Ringo Starr as the Caterpillar
Frank Gorshin as the Mad Hatter
Cesar Romero as the March Hare
Don Messick as the Dormouse
Sidney James as the Dodo
Mel Blanc as Bill the Lizard
J. Pat O'Malley as Tweedledee and Tweedledum
Kenneth Williams as the Doorknob
Clive Dunn as the Carpenter
June Foray as the Queen of Hearts
David Tomlinson as the King of Hearts
Lord Tim Hudson and Chad Stuart as Card Soldiers

Music by
George Bruns

Songs by
Richard M. Sherman
Robert B. Sherman

Narration by Peter Coyote (From the 1999 TV special Behind the Looking Glass)
"Upon its original release, Alice in Wonderland would earn a crossover appeal with the counterculture crowd that flocked to a reissue of Fantasia earlier that year."

"Walt struggled and struggled to get his version of Alice in Wonderland on screen. But it is kinda funny how things worked out when we learned how the film was being embraced by the hippie crowd at the time."
- Floyd Norman (2009 interview)

"Walt's version still takes a lot of creative liberties, but nowhere near as blatant as Bob Clampett did roughly a quarter century earlier."
- Charles Solomon; Animation Historian (2009 interview)

"It's true. Plenty of people dropped acid before they took their seats to watch the film. I remember, in the row in front of me, there was a dad who brought his son and daughter to see the movie and he was high as a kite halfway through it."
- Walt Disney, Jr.

Great update and seeing that Alice gets a better reception at the first time of asking and thus Walt doesn't disown it here.

Interesting to remember that Kathryn Beaumont for OTL film served as the performance model for both characters for live-action reference to help the animators, I'm assuming that Olivia Hussey, who is a great casting choice IMO, does the same here for her Alice? It would be interesting seeing how Hussey would be about 17-18 during this time that this Alice would be older.

Speaking of changes, anything else that is different compared to OTL film other than the cast and animation style as mentioned above?

Will there still be an AFL-NFL merger?

Edit: Actually, I just had a thought: what if the AFL merged with the CFL ITTL?

Last edited:
Fall 1969 TV Debuts
The Fall of 1969 saw the debut of three television series that would go on to become staples of popular culture.

Scooby Doo, Where are You!
(First aired on CBS on September 13, 1969)

Monty Python's Flying Circus
(First aired on BBC 1 on October 5, 1969)

Sesame Street
(First aired on NET on November 10, 1969)