As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Entertainment News for December 1969
Sesame Street a monster hit for public television stations across the country.
- The New York Times

Walter Lantz hints at retirement from Famous Studios.
- The Hollywood Reporter

The newly formed American Zoetrope brings to the Bay Area a new breed of filmmakers looking to be independent of the typical Hollywood glamour and glitter.
- The San Francisco Chronicle

Jay Ward's latest series Karen Sympathy doesn't quite generate as many laughs as Rocky and Bullwinkle did...but it somehow managed to start the fall season second behind Scooby Doo in the Saturday Morning ratings.
- TV Guide

"Dad was devastated when Uncle Roy bluntly told him that the Progress City portion of the Florida Project was going to be too cost prohibitive. In the end, I would say that we dodged a bullet by not going through with it because at some point, people would start to rebel against the rules and regulations that were being proposed for those looking to live and work there."
- Walt Disney, Jr.

"Dad was devastated when Uncle Roy bluntly told him that the Progress City portion of the Florida Project was going to be too cost prohibitive. In the end, I would say that we dodged a bullet by not going through with it because at some point, people would start to rebel against the rules and regulations that were being proposed for those looking to live and work there."
- Walt Disney, Jr.

Will Walt Diseny still get into real estate/ Urban Renewal like the oringial ameican magic. If so perhaps atleast one of the disney real easte procject should be some where differnt then the otl american magic. I would suggest Rockford Illonis, Tacoma Washington, Dayton Ohio , Ashvile north Carolina, or St Louis

Entertainment News for January 1970
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer sold to Kenner Toys parent company General Mills.
- The Cincinnati Enquirer

Alice in Wonderland
attraction to be added to Disneyland for 1972.
- The Orange County Register

Negotiations between Desilu and DC Comics hit a roadblock.
- The Los Angeles Times

Any idea what the line up is for Disney's animated films over the next few years until 1977?

I take it too this version of Alice obviously did far better in its first initial run than OTL version?

Let it Be (1970 Film)
Let it Be
letitbe_moviestillsdb.jpg

Released on May 13, 1970

Distributor
Universal Pictures

Production Company
Apple Films

Director
Michael Lindsay-Hogg

Featuring
The Beatles

Let it Be was released just as Beatlemania was coming to an end. In the midst of the band's breakup, they filed suit in a London court, suing Universal over royalties related to the box office receipts and soundtrack album sales for Yellow Submarine.​

State of the Animation Industry as of 1970
Walt Disney finally finished Alice in Wonderland after a forty-plus year odyssey. As of late, Walt has been tight-lipped about what his next cartoon feature will be. One rumor has Danny Bonaduce and Pamelyn Ferdin attached to a Hansel and Gretel project due for 1971. Another title rumored to be in the works is Robin Hood. With Westinghouse and Metromedia having trouble convincing the FCC that their joint venture network will sustain itself, could Walt be their savior?

After Warner Bros. rejected his pitches for Merlin the Magic Mouse and Cool Cat, Alex Lovy returns to Universal to develop a series that puts the two characters together. After teasing retirement, Walter Lantz has put those plans on hold to reunite with Lovy on the pilot, which they hope will be picked up by the Hughes Television Network.

The modest success of Hey There, It's Yogi Bear and the mixed reception of The Man Called Flintstone hasn't stopped Hanna-Barbera from swinging for the feature fences. The studio has acquired the rights to E.B. White's book Charlotte's Web, which they intend to deliver to theatres for 1973.

MGM Animation/Visual Arts will release The Phantom Tollbooth to theatres for Thanksgiving 1970. Horton Hears a Who! will reach TV screens later this year on CBS.

Karen Sympathy, the Saturday Morning sleeper hit of last year, has been renewed for another season by NBC. Other than that, Jay Ward Productions has focused mostly on commercials for Cap'n Crunch in recent years.

"At the time, some TV critics dismissed Karen Sympathy as just a kiddie version of Agent 99 or Emma Peel. But it was really the first time a cartoon had a smart and competent female lead that wasn't a princess or a shrinking violet and could kick the bad guys' ass on her own."
- Jerry Beck; Animation Historian (2004 interview)

"Karen Sympathy was a surprisingly progressive series when it first aired. Remember, this was at a time when most female cartoon characters were still being rescued by the male heroes. With that said, there are some things in the original that wouldn't fly today, like occasional scenes of Karen lighting up a cigarette, a pantyshot here and there, and of course, the gunplay."
- Doug Walker; Karen Sympathy - Nostalgia Critic (2014 Youtube Video)

With Warner Bros. shutting their cartoon department for good, DePatie-Freleng continues to make theatrical shorts with United Artists handling distribution. These include The Ant and the Aardvark, the Tijuana Toads and The Pink Panther.

Maybe the MGM buyout could lead to one or two films based on Jay Ward's cartoons being created for theaters.

I'd predict a Rocky and Bullwinkle feature if that's the case. On the other hand, a crossover film between Dudley Do-Right and George of the Jungle would also be a great idea.

Of course, that's if MGM and Jay Ward Productions even want to collaborate in the first place.

PNWKing

Banned
I feel like either Grantray-Lawrence or Jay Ward will be bought by General Mills, Desilu, Marvel, ABC, or Westinghouse.

When will Ted Turner come into play ITTL. I am hoping he can still acquire HB, UA, MGM, and all of the Looney Tunes so he launch a massive Cartoon Network in this new timeline.

When will Ted Turner come into play ITTL. I am hoping he can still acquire HB, UA, MGM, and all of the Looney Tunes so he launch a massive Cartoon Network in this new timeline.

Ted has already bought two UHF stations in the South:
- WTCG Channel 17 in Atlanta
- WRET Channel 36 in Charlotte, NC

I definitely like the idea of Ted Turner's Cartoon Network featuring a new Looney Tunes show as it's first original program. Warner would soon start kicking themselves for the very short-sighted act of shuttering their animation studios.

Any questions, comments or other thoughts before we move ahead to 1971?

One question that we move into 1971. With Walt being the rail enthusiast that he is, does he get the chance to see Flying Scotsman in San Francisco when it went west during it's US tour? I think I asked this question on the old TL but doesn't help to ask.
7hkguxfxe9t21.jpg

Speaking of which and if you look into a little bit of history, later that year the tour finally ended, the owner, Alan Peglar, went bankrupt and the engine remained stored in an army base at Stockton. Maybe a minor butterfly is that Walt helps Peglar pay off the debts and use the costs to ship her back to Britain. It does open up a can of worms in future for the engine but it would be a nice change seeing something railway related for Walt to do ITTL.

I hope I
Ted has already bought two UHF stations in the South:
- WTCG Channel 17 in Atlanta
- WRET Channel 36 in Charlotte, NC

Speaking of Uhf stations will Uhf staring werid still be a big flim like the orignal american magic and thus Catuple werid all into movie stardom. Iike the idea werid al costar with leisle neilson as frank drbians new parneter Rex Linclon (Dose anybody get the joke. If not watch the intro of police squad and you may get) in a police squad reboot in the 90's or atleast take oj simpson part as officer norberg in the naked gun