As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

@QTXAdsy

If I have Disney make an Alice film in the 60's or 70's, what year would be good?

I know this isn't directed at me but I'd have it be released in 1970 to replace The Aristocats.

I'm thinking that the "real world segments would be live-action and time spent in Wonderland would be animated. And I'd have Kathryn Beaumont, aka the voice of Alice in the OTL '51 Alice movie, in a cameo role as Alice's mother/aunt*. And it should feature songs by the Sherman Brothers and the vocal talents of the Mellomen.

*It depends on whether Flora Disney's death, and Walt's subsequent guilt over unintentionally "causing" it, are butterflied.

Last edited:
@QTXAdsy

If I have Disney make an Alice film in the 60's or 70's, what year would be good?

I would say 1967 for Alice personally as given how the film OTL did better when re-released during the psychedelic time in films and having it come out during the Summer of Love (providing that still happens in TTL) then it might do better then. Plus have Jungle Book replace Aristocats in 1970 I would do which seems like an easy swap for dates.

Also might be interesting what differences this Alice might be, more teenage Alice per say (aka 15) as with most Disney female leads in tradition which considering the Alice in the book is supposed to 7 yet is 12(?) In the OTL film, not hard to imagine that. Maybe more closer to the book rather than takes bits out from the sequel book which who knows if this Alice does well here then the temptation to try a sequel down the line might be there?

Off topic, but how is the Godzilla series doing so far in the UK, hopefully it's doing better rather than the hamstrung age restriction it got?

Off topic, but how is the Godzilla series doing so far in the UK, hopefully it's doing better rather than the hamstrung age restriction it got?
Depends on the idiot who classified Dai Kaiju films as horror does the same ITTL. It's strange to hear that the film so hated in the States by Godzilla fans is seen fondly and introduced two of the three narrators in the above video.

Depends on the idiot who classified Dai Kaiju films as horror does the same ITTL. It's strange to hear that the film so hated in the States by Godzilla fans is seen fondly and introduced two of the three narrators in the above video.

I can vouch for that as Godzilla '98 was one of the first films I saw in the cinema as a kid and subsequently my introduction to the character, it was only in 2004 with release of the game Godzilla: Save the Earth thanks to my Godzilla-mad friend introduced me to more of the series I never knew off.

Suppose in order to prevent it getting lumbered with that X rating and subsequent Kaiju films would get is perhaps a minor POD in TTL in which there is a minor shake up in the ratings system for UK? And as a Scotsman, I'd love to see that Hammer/Toho Nessie film get made so we can have a kaiju of our own! :cool: Would be no doubt than some of the...ahem, b-movies that tried...

I can vouch for that as Godzilla '98 was one of the first films I saw in the cinema as a kid and subsequently my introduction to the character, it was only in 2004 with release of the game Godzilla: Save the Earth thanks to my Godzilla-mad friend introduced me to more of the series I never knew off.
My first introduction to Godzilla was one of the old Showa era films, not sure which one, and ever since I've tried to make an effort to see every Togo Godzilla film and some of the Gamera films too. I may be one of the few Americans who doesn't hate the TriStar Godzilla but that's because I don't try to see it as an original American dai kaiju film that may have done better if it was given a different title. While I have not had the opportunity to see Gorgo I still think that it might be a cool idea if Gareth Edwards directed a remake of that film maybe somehow make it part of Legendary Pictures' MonsterVerse.
Suppose in order to prevent it getting lumbered with that X rating and subsequent Kaiju films would get is perhaps a minor POD in TTL in which there is a minor shake up in the ratings system for UK? And as a Scotsman, I'd love to see that Hammer/Toho Nessie film get made so we can have a kaiju of our own! :cool: Would be no doubt than some of the...ahem, b-movies that tried...
Why did horror films have an X rating at the time, were they particularly violent at the time or was it for some other sort of reason?

My introduction to the Godzilla was the Hanna-Barbera cartoon. I first saw that on the Cartoon Network during its first year on the air.

My introduction to the Godzilla was the Hanna-Barbera cartoon. I first saw that on the Cartoon Network during its first year on the air.
It's funny that show doesn't have as strong of hated as the TriStar Godzilla and to a lesser degree the cartoon based on that film (which I kinda liked).

Loving the timeline so far. One quick question: Will Disney or any other studios still use the Xerox photocopy technology when the 60s roll around?

I'm thinking that the "real world segments would be live-action and time spent in Wonderland would be animated.

TBH, I'd still go for it being all animated.

While I have not had the opportunity to see Gorgo I still think that it might be a cool idea if Gareth Edwards directed a remake of that film maybe somehow make it part of Legendary Pictures' MonsterVerse.

Why did horror films have an X rating at the time, were they particularly violent at the time or was it for some other sort of reason?

Instead of Gorgo, if we get the Nessie film ITTL maybe Edwards directs the Loch Ness Monster film for the MonsterVerse considering that we do get a mention the monster is supposed to be in OTL MonsterVerse?

For the X rating, the video I linked on the previous page mentions this is due to Frankenstein in 1932, though how Godzilla and Rodan got lumped into that category then is quite baffling. Yes, the kaiju genre did eventually take effect here but what happened then seriously nipped it in the bud before it could really take off like in the States. Maybe I wouldn't ITTL have to import my Godzilla collection from America here?

Loving the timeline so far. One quick question: Will Disney or any other studios still use the Xerox photocopy technology when the 60s roll around?

Xerox is pretty much inevitable.

I was disappointed that ABC still gets Disneyland and all it's stuff here, does that mean Disney still buys ABC later on?

There's still enough time where that might change.

Probably, what gets me is that there was never any consideration or mention of any fourth network.

I wasn't sure of how DuMont would be able to sustain itself after 1955. Also, I wasn't sure if DuMont even had the money that ABC had to collaborate with Walt on Disneyland.

Sam and Friends (1955 TV series)
Sam and Friends
JimHenson_TheEarlyWorks_STILL.png

In the summer of 1955, an 18 year old named Jim Henson launched a weeknight puppet show for NBC's Washington, DC affiliate, then-known as WRC-TV.

The show was titled Sam and Friends, and its star characters would often lip sync to popular sound recordings. One minor character on Sam and Friends, originally designed to be lizard-like, would soon evolve into Jim's signature character; Kermit the Frog.​

I wasn't sure of how DuMont would be able to sustain itself after 1955. Also, I wasn't sure if DuMont even had the money that ABC had to collaborate with Walt on Disneyland.
See below:
Chapter 2

The FCC ruling that realigned certain large television markets and opened up licenses in four-VHF markets to commercial usage eliminated one substantial threat to DuMont's survival, but storm clouds still loomed on the horizon. DuMont was still the only major network that had no ties to the radio industry, eliminating a major source of funding, programming, and affiliated companies that could bid for licenses in markets just being opened up after the end of the freeze. Furthermore, Paramount continued to insist on using its two O&O stations to flagship its Paramount Television Network programming service, which blocked DuMont from acquiring additional O&Os to come up to the five-channel limit imposed by the FCC. DuMont's ace-in-the-hole of owning the only VHF station in Pittsburgh helped it to survive this tumultuous period by allowing it to negotiate airtime for its programs in exchange for giving the other networks airtime in Pittsburgh, but even this would eventually run out as additional VHF licenses would come online in the market in the years after the freeze ended.

What would come to almost be the last straw would come in 1953 as equally-struggling ABC would agree to merge with United Paramount Theaters. This would give ABC an infusion of cash and connections in Hollywood that would nearly put it on part with the Big 2 and overwhelm the resources DuMont had at the time. When the Justice Department had hearings to approve the merger DuMont at first argued that it should be disapproved based on the questions of whether UPT and Paramount were truly separate as the government has required as a result of the antitrust case against the major movie studios, but then Goldstein had an epiphany[1] and instead motioned that as a corollary to the merger's approval, that Paramount be required to divest itself of its shares of DuMont, as the risk that a not-truly-separate Paramount could dominate two networks at the same time. The Justice Department agreed with this argument and when the merger was approved, Paramount was given six months to find a buyer for its shares in DuMont.

A ready and eager buyer was found in General Tire, the new owner of the Don Lee system of radio stations on the West Coast, majority investor in the Mutual Broadcasting System radio network, and owner of the RKO Telepictures movie studio. Mutual had been rumored to have interest in launching a TV network earlier in the decade, but decided against it because of the crowded market and lack of VHF licenses in major markets. Now Mutual would be affiliated with a preexisting network. This would give DuMont access to Mutual programming such as Leave it to the Girls, an early daytime talk show, makeover show Queen for A Day, and The Lone Ranger. It would also give it relationships with radio stations that could bid for affiliate licenses, and a way to bundle radio and TV transmissions to meet AT&T's requirement that DuMont pay for radio transmissions. General Tire's broadcasting division also already owned five TV stations of its own, KHJ in Los Angeles, WNAC in Boston, WOR in New York, WHBQ in Memphis, and CKLW in Windsor, ON. RKO General would divest WOR and WHBQ to German-American investor John Kluge to stay under the 5 station limit, while using the Canadian station across the river from Detroit as a backdoor 6th O&O.

[1] Once again, Thomas Goldstein argues a case in court instead of DuMont, and is able to take advantage of a situation that could work out to DuMont's detriment to instead make an important gain.

Alright, there's Chapter 2, covering how DuMont is able to find a corporate partner to ensure its survival through the end of the turbulent '50s. Next I plan on doing the supplemental that will cover changes to station affiliations and license assignments in important markets, then I'll show what DuMont has been putting on the air in terms of shows throughout the '50s.
Originally from @AnonymousSauce's DuMont will make TV work: A TL timeline

Basically in my headcanon this would be a good example of how to combine two different timelines into one single narrative.

I know this isn't directed at me but I'd have it be released in 1970 to replace The Aristocats.

I'm thinking that the "real world segments would be live-action and time spent in Wonderland would be animated. And I'd have Kathryn Beaumont, aka the voice of Alice in the OTL '51 Alice movie, in a cameo role as Alice's mother/aunt*. And it should feature songs by the Sherman Brothers and the vocal talents of the Mellomen.

*It depends on whether Flora Disney's death, and Walt's subsequent guilt over unintentionally "causing" it, are butterflied.

I like the idea of alice being a live action hybrid. I also like the idea of Alice being live action in the animated wonderland segments as a shout out to Walt Disney's Alice comedies shorts. I also like idea of Virginia_Davis (The first of three actress to play Alice in Alice comdies) having a cammo as alice's nanny. I like idea of the cherishire cat being replace with Julis the cat (Alice's second banna in the Alice comedies series) among other reffences to Alice Comedies. For a date I suggest 1964 but I support P. L. Travers not seliing walt disney the flim rights to Mary Poppins because she hate Wlat's Mary popins movie

I just got a great idea for how to differentiate the warner and disney version of alice in wonderland. I would have alice follow oswald down the rabbit hole instead of the white rabbit. Perhaps the folks and disney would find a way to work Mickey and Donald into Alice and wonderland

I just got a great idea for how to differentiate the warner and disney version of alice in wonderland. I would have alice follow oswald down the rabbit hole instead of the white rabbit. Perhaps the folks and disney would find a way to work Mickey and Donald into Alice and wonderland
I see Oswald as the March Hare.