As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

PNWKing

Banned
As for Blade Runner, I believe the movie should be distributed by Grand Diamond, Cannon, Vestron, or Hemdale, and could star Kurt Russell, Randy Quaid, Arnold Schwarzenegger, or Harrison Ford.

How many months would really be needed to make a better ET game?
I do think just over 5 Months for example (Instead of just over 5 weeks that was actually allowed to develop the game IOTL) would allow a better E.T. Video Game to materialize.

The actual amount of time that it would be needed depends on the amount of programmers that are actually chosen for the project since more the programmers that are utilized for the development would allow a proper game to be developed in a faster length of time.

Personally I think at least 6 to 8 Months would be needed for a proper E.T. Video Game to be developed although others might have a different opinion on that.
I agree on 6-8 Months. Though in my opinion what Howard managed in over 5 Weeks wasn't too terrible (assuming you read the manual) it just had a few problems like holes being too large and too many on screen and players struggling to leave the holes if they got caught in it.

In the Atari 2600 days most games were usually just one person with maybe another person doing graphics. (Super Mario Bros was one of the first examples of a game with a development team. With Miyamoto leading a team of seven.)

Is there a chance of an earlier DreamWorks forming?

It's possible, but I don't know how to make an earlier formation possible.

That is, unless I find a plausible scenario where George Lucas' divorce battle with Marcia leads to him having to sell Lucasfilm Ltd to Carl Icahn or another corporate raider. After that, George could join Spielberg.

PNWKing

Banned
I have a couple of ideas. The first is that Jeff Lindsay, author of the book Darkly Dreaming Dexter (source material of the TV show Dexter) gets a job at Marvel Comics in about 1995 and creates Dexter Morgan as an update on the Punisher character. Another would be an animated series called The Time Express. It centers on a train that can travel through time and three friends, Marcy, Lizzie, and Charlotte, as they travel on the time train and explore various time periods.

I agree on 6-8 Months. Though in my opinion what Howard managed in over 5 Weeks wasn't too terrible (assuming you read the manual) it just had a few problems like holes being too large and too many on screen and players struggling to leave the holes if they got caught in it.

In the Atari 2600 days most games were usually just one person with maybe another person doing graphics. (Super Mario Bros was one of the first examples of a game with a development team. With Miyamoto leading a team of seven.)

Additional time being taken to develop the game would have alleviated those problems you had mentioned. A development team that consisted of 2 or more programmers would have also helped make the E.T. Video Game much better as well.

The development team concept for Video Games became a necessity as the gaming systems had gotten more advanced over each successive generation (And would require faster Computer Systems for the programming).

PNWKing

Banned
I had a thought. If we can't have an earlier DreamWorks is it possible for Grand Diamond to take DreamWorks' place.

It would be nice to have Kirk and Khan actually fight each other face-to-face in the climax.

And if Spock doesn't die he should still leave the Enterprise for whatever reason with the implication that it's open whether or not he'll return in the sequel.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982 Film)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
startrekiikhaaaaaan.png

Released on June 18, 1982

Distributed by
RKO Radio Pictures

Directed by
Nicholas Meyer

Screenplay by

Jack Sowards
Harve Bennett

Music by
James Horner

Based on the TV series created by
Gene Roddenberry

NOTES:
There are two major differences from OTL; Spock miraculously lives while the third act centers around a duel between Kirk (William Shatner; above) and Khan (Ricardo Montalban).

One minor difference is that this is the first RKO release with a revamp of the iconic radio tower logo, produced for the studio by Industrial Light and Magic using stop motion photography and miniatures.

RKO's decision to release the film the exact week after Disney released ET would come back to haunt the studio. This decision later became infamous among Trekkies as "The Miscalculation."

"Sherry Lansing, RKO's studio chief at the time, automatically assumed that our film would be the bigger hit while ET would turn out to be another one of those sugary fairy tales that Old Man Disney was known for. Well, the opposite turned out true, with Wrath of Khan not being able to catch ET at any point of the summer blockbuster season."
- Leonard Nimoy speaking years later about The Miscalculation.​

I think Wrath of Khan would still rake in more than enough money. This isn't like UHF being steamrolled .se it was released in the middle of one of Hollywood's largest blockbuster summer periods. I still think that RKO has a winner on their hands. It's whether or not they can follow it up that's the issue.

PNWKing

Banned
I think Blade Runner could go to Grand Diamond, who targets it at a different audience (arthouse theaters, or maybe parents without kids.) This works. Also, did Phillip K. Dick live a few months longer. I just want him to see one of his works become successful on the big screen.

Blade Runner (1982 Film)
Blade Runner
blade-runner-harrison-ford.jpg

Released on June 25, 1982

Production Companies
The Ladd Company
Shaw Brothers
Blade Runner Partnership

Distributed by
Grand Diamond Pictures

Directed by
Ridley Scott

Produced by
Michael Deeley

Screenplay by
Hampton Fancher
David Peoples

Executive Producers
Alan Ladd, Jr.
Sir Run Run Shaw
Roger Corman

Based on the story Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by
Philip K. Dick

Music by
Vangelis

Blade Runner represented the beginning of the Roger Corman/Alan Ladd, Jr. alliance. Like Wrath of Khan, Blade Runner had the misfortune of having come out during the theatrical run of ET.

Blade Runner
opened to disappointing box office returns and a mixed reaction from critics. However, the film would gain the respect it deserved through a home video release of the director's cut [1].

[1] Closer to the version seen on the OTL 25th Anniversary DVD.​