Arabic as official language of the Ottoman Empire?

How would it have influenced the development of the Ottoman Empire if Arabic was chosen as its official language? I assume here that this would happen during the reign of Selim 1. or his son, Suleiman.

How would this affect the linguistic situation in Anatolia? If nationalism developed in Europe also in this time line, how would this affect the Ottoman Empire in this time line? Would it strengthen pan-Arabic sentiments? If the Ottoman Empire lost most of its Balkan territories like in OTL, would Pan-Arabism be a useful instrument to strengthen the sultan in the remaining areas?

Well, it could be a recognised language in the empire by the government, even an official language of the minority in the empire, however it won't ever be the true 'Official' language of the empire because:

1. Turks
2. Lots of Turks
3. Angry Lots of Turks.
4. Politically Important Angry Lots of Turks

Last edited:
I don't see that happening. Ottoman Empire was very Turkic identified nation even before rise of nationalism. Arabic might be local official language but never official language of whole empire.

It would make little diffference political at least under the empire, the official language of the Ottoman Empire was Ottoman Turkish, which was largely unintelligible to the vast majority of Turkish speakers of the Empire. But it could have greater linguistic effects on the empire. There's a good chance that the Muslims of Constantinople wouldn't speak Turkish, if people in the central administration spoke Arabic. Either we could see a influx of Arab speakers or Arabic just being used as lingua franca in Constantinople, or alternate we could simply see the local Muslims simply end up being Greek speakers, with Arabic simply being a niche language. The result could be that Greek didn't "become" the language of Christians (yes I know many Muslims was Greek speakers, but the language was connected with Christianity), instead Greek stay much more widely used in western Anatolia including by Muslims. The result could be that when the Ottoman Empire decides to modernise it make Greek its new official language and sell itself as the heir to the Ancient Greeks and the Byzantine Empire (more successful at least).

I don't see that happening. Ottoman Empire was very Turkic identified nation even before rise of nationalism. Arabic might be local official language but never official language of whole empire.

Did the empire really identify as Turkic? My impression from what I have read is that the Ottoman elite used the word "Turk" to describe uneducated rural people in Anatolia and that they in no way considered themselves to be Turks, but Ottomans.

Well, it could be a recognised language in the empire by the government, even an official language of the minority in the empire, however it won't ever be the true 'Official' language of the empire because:

1. Turks
2. Lots of Turks
3. Angry Lots of Turks.

Wasn´t there more Arabs? I haven´t seen any numbers, but I always assumed so.

Last edited:

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
As part of an alliance with the Moslem world, and maybe the official religion of the Ottoman Empire becomes monotheism ? ? ?

And whatever the official language, a ton of local languages.

And yes, I think the Ottomans might welcome a non-European ally.

=======

PS In his letter to Luis De Sant Angel, and thus indirectly to Isabella and Ferdinand, Columbus did not draw the distinction between Christian and nonchristian, but rather between belief in God and heathen (polytheistic). And I know this would reflect more of a Catholic viewpoint, but potentially might this find currency in the Orthodox viewpoint as well?

Did the empire really identify as Turkic? My impression from what I have read is that the Ottoman elite used the word "Turk" to describe uneducated rural people on the Balkans and that they in no way considered themselves to be Turks, but Ottomans.

Wasn´t there more Arabs? I haven´t seen any numbers, but I always assumed so.
You are right but they didn't call themselves Ottomans or osmanoglu or something. The word used to describe the urban turkic elite was rûmi or romans. This was used by everyone from the balkans and the middle east. Turk was ,as you said, a derogatory term for pastrolists and semi-nomadic Turkics.

It wasn't quite Arabic, but Ottoman Turkish was very different than modern Turkish - it contained a very large proportion of Arabic loanwords (more than it had words of Turkish origin) and was written in the Arabic alphabet. They didn't fully Arabize but took some steps in that direction. (Under Atatürk the language was then re-Turkified, with lots of Arabic/Persian words dropped and the Latin alphabet adopted.)

1. Turks
2. Lots of Turks
3. Angry Lots of Turks.

As others have noted, that didn't stop Ottoman Turkish (which is unintelligible with Standard Turkish) from becoming the official language OTL, nor did it stop Persian from becoming official in the non-Persian majority Mughal Empire, nor did that stop Turkish from being the language of court in the Arab-majority Khedivate of Egypt...among dozens of other examples. For most of the time period that we're looking at, demographics don't play as big of a role in what the official language is as one might expect. It's also archaic for most of the history of the Ottoman Empire to look at it through the lens of linguistic nationalism when in fact it is often defined as a Persianate society despite having a relatively small Iranian population.

Instead it's more valuable to look at factors such as prestige and what language the ruling class prefers, which can more accurately explain OTL official language trends. So in order to make Arabic the official language of the ruling class, you either have to make Arabic prestigious enough that non-Arab ruling classes prefer to use it, as was the case with Persianate societies OTL, or introduce enough Arabs into the ruling class of the empire (and somehow prevent them from linguistically assimilating) that Arabic becomes the dominant language of the ruling class and thus of the empire. It's probably easier to increase the prestige of Arabic, perhaps by amplifying the cultural influence generated in Cairo by the Mamluks OTL; but then there's the issue of introducing that language to Ottoman elites. By the time you can speak about the Ottomans as an existing state, Persian has been the prestige language of Anatolian beylik elites since the Sultanate of Rum. Historically the Ottomans did end up abandoning Persian as the language of court, but only in favor of a very highly Persian-influenced language (Ottoman Turkish). So introducing Arabic as an official language would probably require similar circumstances to the OTL abandonment of Persian, such as a strong rivalry with a Persophone state, as well as additional factors like a stronger Arabic literary/poetic tradition that would allow it to replace Persian where Ottoman Turkish did OTL.

In terms of how this would affect the empire, I would say that while Arabic would become the lingua franca of the empire, OTL not that many people spoke Ottoman Turkish, as shown by how quickly it died with the Ottoman Empire, so I don't think that many people would end up speaking Arabic in this ATL. However, if nationalism does develop similarly to OTL (which isn't necessarily inevitable) then instead of the revival of Arab consciousness that happened OTL, we might see a revival of Turkish identity and possibly even Turkish separatism.

As others have noted, that didn't stop Ottoman Turkish (which is unintelligible with Standard Turkish) from becoming the official language OTL, nor did it stop Persian from becoming official in the non-Persian majority Mughal Empire, nor did that stop Turkish from being the language of court in the Arab-majority Khedivate of Egypt...among dozens of other examples. For most of the time period that we're looking at, demographics don't play as big of a role in what the official language is as one might expect. It's also archaic for most of the history of the Ottoman Empire to look at it through the lens of linguistic nationalism when in fact it is often defined as a Persianate society despite having a relatively small Iranian population.

Instead it's more valuable to look at factors such as prestige and what language the ruling class prefers, which can more accurately explain OTL official language trends. So in order to make Arabic the official language of the ruling class, you either have to make Arabic prestigious enough that non-Arab ruling classes prefer to use it, as was the case with Persianate societies OTL, or introduce enough Arabs into the ruling class of the empire (and somehow prevent them from linguistically assimilating) that Arabic becomes the dominant language of the ruling class and thus of the empire. It's probably easier to increase the prestige of Arabic, perhaps by amplifying the cultural influence generated in Cairo by the Mamluks OTL; but then there's the issue of introducing that language to Ottoman elites. By the time you can speak about the Ottomans as an existing state, Persian has been the prestige language of Anatolian beylik elites since the Sultanate of Rum. Historically the Ottomans did end up abandoning Persian as the language of court, but only in favor of a very highly Persian-influenced language (Ottoman Turkish). So introducing Arabic as an official language would probably require similar circumstances to the OTL abandonment of Persian, such as a strong rivalry with a Persophone state, as well as additional factors like a stronger Arabic literary/poetic tradition that would allow it to replace Persian where Ottoman Turkish did OTL.

In terms of how this would affect the empire, I would say that while Arabic would become the lingua franca of the empire, OTL not that many people spoke Ottoman Turkish, as shown by how quickly it died with the Ottoman Empire, so I don't think that many people would end up speaking Arabic in this ATL. However, if nationalism does develop similarly to OTL (which isn't necessarily inevitable) then instead of the revival of Arab consciousness that happened OTL, we might see a revival of Turkish identity and possibly even Turkish separatism.

I originally had thought this took place in the late Ottoman empire, but I guess here its far more distinct and odd considering the different other ethnic groups it makes sense. The Ottoman empire becoming a Arabic entity would be a interesting idea though, maybe a new proper Arabic caliphate?

I originally had thought this took place in the late Ottoman empire, but I guess here its far more distinct and odd considering the different other ethnic groups it makes sense. The Ottoman empire becoming a Arabic entity would be a interesting idea though, maybe a new proper Arabic caliphate?

The problem was that the economic centre of the Ottoman Empire was the Balkans and Anatolia, it was also where they raised their armies. I don't think the Ottoman use of Arabic would make it Arabic state anymore than the Austrians use of Latin made it a Italian state.

It would change nothing because your average Turk/Slav/Greek/etc. would continue to speak in their respective vernaculars. Turkish TTL might even have more of an Arabic linguistic influence but that's about it.

It would change nothing because your average Turk/Slav/Greek/etc. would continue to speak in their respective vernaculars. Turkish TTL might even have more of an Arabic linguistic influence but that's about it.

If nationalism still developed, it seems likely that Pan-Arabic sentiments would become stronger than in OTL. If Arabic was chosen as the official language of the empire, I would assume that it would be because of its prestige of being the language of the Quran. I would assume that at least Constantinople and its surrounding would become Arab-speaking.

Did the empire really identify as Turkic? My impression from what I have read is that the Ottoman elite used the word "Turk" to describe uneducated rural people on the Balkans and that they in no way considered themselves to be Turks, but Ottomans.

Not quite. Ottoman Muslim elites often called themselves Turks (including many who were not actually Turks), and used "Turk" as a synonym for the whole Muslim community. So the Empire did at least partially identify as Turkic.

I've heard this claim that "Turk" described rural Anatolians (or such) many times, but never heard of any specific examples...I can only assume it's true, but it was probably applied only by some very narrow circles in the capital city.