Apollinis et Dianae: A Story of Power, Magnificence and Glory

Razgriz 2K9

Banned
Valena you really know quite a lot about 17th century brides and such...(which of course is out of my playing field because of my troubles with women...but I digress.)

It's good to see Charles II transforming London into a more populated Versailles...bad analogy considering the governing styles, I know...but I hate to see this all come crashing down in the end.

Well, I became fascinated with this time period since the age of four (I learned to read at the age of four and the first book "not for kids" I've read was The Three Musketeers (full version, not abridged retelling for little kids):) Second was Legends of Ancient Greece which my late grandfather actively tried to hide from me due to nude statues depicted and all this:)
Also, I love playing Crusader Kings - so maybe royal matchmaking streak comes from here.

Great update Constantine, looks like Charles will be remembered well and is making his mark on the history of Britain. What's happening with Scotland and Ireland? Also, when will we get to see the colonies? Actually defining the relationship between them and Britain at such an early stage might help - the main reason they rebelled was because we left them on their own for 150 years then expected them to suddenly be governed from London.

Any ideas on that front?

Eagerly awaiting the next update :).

Given the "Papal" victories in Britain ITTL will we see the Puritans, Presbyterians, and the like heading for the coreligionists in the colonies?

I imagine that is going to be a problem. (or, at least storing up a problem for the future). Of course, there could also be Catholic emigration to the New World. Catholic Maryland almost made it OTL.

And both Charles and James were very interested in America. Maybe interested enough to make sure that it doesn't become a snakes' nest ?

Valena you really know quite a lot about 17th century brides and such...(which of course is out of my playing field because of my troubles with women...but I digress.)

It's good to see Charles II transforming London into a more populated Versailles...bad analogy considering the governing styles, I know...but I hate to see this all come crashing down in the end.

Don't worry, I have no plans for the Stuarts reign or style of rule to end. Also, the main English version of Versailles will be in Winchester, not London. Though under Charles III Whitehall will undergo its own transformation, rivaling that of the Louvre and the Tuileries.

Great update Constantine, looks like Charles will be remembered well and is making his mark on the history of Britain. What's happening with Scotland and Ireland? Also, when will we get to see the colonies? Actually defining the relationship between them and Britain at such an early stage might help - the main reason they rebelled was because we left them on their own for 150 years then expected them to suddenly be governed from London.

Any ideas on that front?

Eagerly awaiting the next update :).

Glad to here your enjoying it! As for your questions, Scotland is more or less undergoing a period of repression and enforced centralization. Under Monmouth the autonomy of the Scots is being severely curtailed, and all orders are coming from London. They are very much paying for their rebellion. As for Ireland, the Catholics might not have their lands that they lost under Cromwell back but they are enjoying the legal right to practice their religion for the first time in centuries, thanks to the Royal Declaration of Indulgence. However, this has led to tension between the majority Catholics and the Protestant settlers. So Ireland is pretty much a powder keg waiting to go off, unless new legislation for a settlement is created soon.

As for the colonies, we'll be seeing them soon. And I definitely plan to define the relationship between London and the Colonies. Its a bit sad that I'm American but pretty much shit at my own country's history, so I might need some help figuring out how to create a central authority for the colonies, instead of the lesse fair style of governing of OTL. I know that the Dominion of New England went badly but I would love t find a way for it to work. And I plan to find ways to make sure Colonial Governors are appointed from London to act as representatives for London. Basically I want the Colonists to see the Crown as their allies and only Parliament as the problem.

Given the "Papal" victories in Britain ITTL will we see the Puritans, Presbyterians, and the like heading for the coreligionists in the colonies?

As for more dissenters in the Colonies, I think it is possible. Or more of the radical dissenters at least. Most moderates have been more or less won over by the Declaration of Indulgence. But I can see the king giving some dissenters rights to colonies in order to get them out of the way in the British Isles.

I imagine that is going to be a problem. (or, at least storing up a problem for the future). Of course, there could also be Catholic emigration to the New World. Catholic Maryland almost made it OTL.

And both Charles and James were very interested in America. Maybe interested enough to make sure that it doesn't become a snakes' nest ?

I do plan to make sure Catholic Maryland remains intact. And Hopefully the Stuart Dynasty will be able to help make sure the Colonies are better governed.

Guys, I was asked on fai.org.ru to translate this awesome TL in Russian, and I think that the TL will only benefit from more experts on Eastern Europe having access to it.
So I humbly request the author to give permission for translation. All copyrights will be reserved and link to Russian version will be posted here and vise versa.

Razgriz 2K9

Banned
Don't worry, I have no plans for the Stuarts reign or style of rule to end. Also, the main English version of Versailles will be in Winchester, not London. Though under Charles III Whitehall will undergo its own transformation, rivaling that of the Louvre and the Tuileries.

Winchester? I thought that was a city...or a castle...pretty much the capital of England before it moved to Westchester (and thus London)

Glad to here your enjoying it! As for your questions, Scotland is more or less undergoing a period of repression and enforced centralization. Under Monmouth the autonomy of the Scots is being severely curtailed, and all orders are coming from London. They are very much paying for their rebellion. As for Ireland, the Catholics might not have their lands that they lost under Cromwell back but they are enjoying the legal right to practice their religion for the first time in centuries, thanks to the Royal Declaration of Indulgence. However, this has led to tension between the majority Catholics and the Protestant settlers. So Ireland is pretty much a powder keg waiting to go off, unless new legislation for a settlement is created soon.

As for the colonies, we'll be seeing them soon. And I definitely plan to define the relationship between London and the Colonies. Its a bit sad that I'm American but pretty much shit at my own country's history, so I might need some help figuring out how to create a central authority for the colonies, instead of the lesse fair style of governing of OTL. I know that the Dominion of New England went badly but I would love t find a way for it to work. And I plan to find ways to make sure Colonial Governors are appointed from London to act as representatives for London. Basically I want the Colonists to see the Crown as their allies and only Parliament as the problem.

I find that a lot of the problems involving the Dominion of New England were in a way, similar to that in the mother country. Though, considering the peoples we are dealing with (read: Puritans, not that I have anything against them), It would be awkward to say that they would react any different...I honestly have no idea how to fix that one.

As for more dissenters in the Colonies, I think it is possible. Or more of the radical dissenters at least. Most moderates have been more or less won over by the Declaration of Indulgence. But I can see the king giving some dissenters rights to colonies in order to get them out of the way in the British Isles.

Do you think there would be like a Penal Colony thing in the Americas? Also, will there still be a British Georgia (or...whatever you plan on calling it) or will it be going over to the Spaniards?

I do plan to make sure Catholic Maryland remains intact. And Hopefully the Stuart Dynasty will be able to help make sure the Colonies are better governed.
Lest they end up like that one ASB TL in Alt History Wiki...:D

Last edited:
Guys, I was asked on fai.org.ru to translate this awesome TL in Russian, and I think that the TL will only benefit from more experts on Eastern Europe having access to it.
So I humbly request the author to give permission for translation. All copyrights will be reserved and link to Russian version will be posted here and vise versa.

Sure permission granted:D. That's awesome news. I had no idea that this TL would end up being so popular!

OK, this isn't my idea but a member called brick24alpha's, but he suggested integrating the colonies into parliament by having them send two MPs, one as normal and one as a 'spare' in case the first falls ill. I imagine you would have to elect them for a relatively long amount of time, say 5 years, so they don't spend the majority of their time on the boat (6 months trip I think). You might also have to increase the number, say 6 MPs per colony at first.

Defining the role of the colony assemblies vis-a-vis Parliament and the King would also help I think.

One idea that I had (that is probably worthless) was adding the title 'King of the British' or what-have-you to emphasise that yes he is King of England and Scotland, but he is also King of the British whether they are in Britain or not, and that it is the people who are important not the geographical area. Of course Charles would have to back that claim up with actions too.

Perhaps have Charles make a law/rule that you cannot set up trade barriers in-between areas in which he is King?

I don't know much about the colonies or this period of history, but maybe some of what I've written will be of help to you Constantine. Anyway, looking forward to the update, whenever it is. I keep this story in my tabs all the time and refresh every day or so, I love this timeline so much :).

OK, this isn't my idea but a member called brick24alpha's, but he suggested integrating the colonies into parliament by having them send two MPs, one as normal and one as a 'spare' in case the first falls ill. I imagine you would have to elect them for a relatively long amount of time, say 5 years, so they don't spend the majority of their time on the boat (6 months trip I think). You might also have to increase the number, say 6 MPs per colony at first.

Defining the role of the colony assemblies vis-a-vis Parliament and the King would also help I think.

One idea that I had (that is probably worthless) was adding the title 'King of the British' or what-have-you to emphasise that yes he is King of England and Scotland, but he is also King of the British whether they are in Britain or not, and that it is the people who are important not the geographical area. Of course Charles would have to back that claim up with actions too.

Perhaps have Charles make a law/rule that you cannot set up trade barriers in-between areas in which he is King?

I don't know much about the colonies or this period of history, but maybe some of what I've written will be of help to you Constantine. Anyway, looking forward to the update, whenever it is. I keep this story in my tabs all the time and refresh every day or so, I love this timeline so much :).

Hmmm, its not a bad idea but a bit unlikely. It would give the colonies a voice in London but it wouldn't solve the problem of how to govern the colonies better. Maybe a deal that the Colonial MPs can only vote on colonial affairs would allow the other MPs to swallow it a bit better. Also, there was no term limit for MPs at this time. Remember the Cavalier Parliament sat for almost 20 years.

As for the Colonial assemblies, I think your right on that one. The power of the assemblies needs to be curtailed, just like Parliaments' was. Maybe the colonial Governors could do so if they are directly appointed from London and are real deputies of the King, like the Lords Lieutenant.

To the title, I think King of the British smacks a bit to much of popular sovereignty, not something that would go over well. More likely I can probably do something similar to Edward VII's title of King of the Dominions beyond the Seas. It sounds a bit better and would probably go well with the Stuarts colonial support.

To the trade barriers, I'm not sure I follow. Could you expand on that?

And thanks for the suggestions! I always love hearing feedback from my readers. As for the update, it'll be sometime tonight. I'm putting the finishing touches on it right now.

Chapter XVI: The Changing Seasons
Chapter XVI: The Changing Seasons

Across the channel at Versailles, the last few years have been anything but peaceful. Yes France is technically at peace with her neighbors, but for the past five years the upper class has been in a state of siege, thanks to the L'affaire des poisons. The affair began in February 1677, near the end of the Four Years war, when fortune teller Magdelaine de La Grange was arrested on charges of forgery and murder. In an attempt to save herself, La Grange contacts Secretary for War Marquis de Louvois and claims to have information about about other crimes of high importance. Suspicious but at the same time intrigued, Louvois passed the information to the King, who in turn ordered Gabriel Nicolas de la Reynie, Lieutenant General of Police, to investigate the accusations.The subsequent investigation of potential poisoners led to accusations of witchcraft, murder and more. Authorities rounded up a number of fortune tellers and alchemists who were suspected of selling not only divinations, séances and aphrodisiacs, but also "inheritance powders" (a euphemism for poison). Some of them confessed under torture and gave authorities lists of their clients, who had allegedly bought poison to get rid of their spouses or rivals in the royal court. However, the case really became sensational in March 1679, with the arrest of Catherine Monvoisin,known as La Voisin, on suspicion of witchcraft.

La Voisin was a supplier of many different types of potions to many of the Great ladies of the Court, and was described by many as a 'Duchess among witches'. Her talents were summed up by the poet Jean de La Fontaine:whether you wanted to keep your lover or lose your husband straightaway you went off to La Voisin.There was also the question of horoscopes, spells, black magic and even that blasphemous use of inverted ceremonial known as a black mass. While most of the accusations against her, including reading a client's future or casting a horoscope are minor crimes and generally considered harmless, the charges of using black magic and participating in a black mass are much, tantamount to Satan worship. Questioned while intoxicated, La Voisin implicated a number of important individuals in the French court. These included Olympia Mancini, the Comtesse de Soissons, her sister Marie Anne Mancini Duchesse de Bouillon, François Henri de Montmorency, Duke of Luxembourg and, most importantly, the king's mistress, Athénaïs de Mortemart, Marquise de Montespan and his sister-in-law Madame. The accusation of two of the ranking females of of the Royal Court is completely shocking to all. Though Madame has been a practitioner and supporter of herbal medications sense the late 1660s the idea and Montespan has followed the Duchesse' lead in popularizing herbal teas, the idea that either of them are involved in Black masses, love potions or even poison is dubious but scandalous.

A new judicial court was set up to investigate the accusations, nicknamed le Chambre Ardente or the Burning Court, sitting until July 1682. In all, over 400 cases were heard, over 300 arrests were ordered, 34 people executed and 30 more were sent to the galleys or banished. Noticeably absent however, were any charges against either Madame or the Maîtresse-en-titre. That is because any hint of an accusation against such high profile women were ruthessly suppressed and sealed. However, other high-profile Courtiers aren't so lucky. Charges of murder by poison was brought against the Comtesse de Soissones, called Madame la Comtesse at Court, while charges of planning to murder by poison were leveled against her sister the Duchesees de Boillon (no charges were brought against the Duc de Luxembourg). The Duchesse, accused to planning to murder her husband to marry her lover, refutes there accusations in a very dramatic fashion. She shows up at the Court with her husband and the aforementioned lover, both ready to defend the Duchesse. This show of theatrics works and Maria Anne is found not guilty on all counts. Her sister, however, is not so lucky.
512px-Olympia_Mancini_by_Mignard.png

The Mistress of Intrigue:Olympia Mancini, Comtesse de Soissones

Olympia Mancini, though having shared a childhood with the King thanks to her being a niece of Cardinal Mazarin, has long fallen out of favor with the King thanks to her plotting. Just as it appears Madame la Comtesse will have to flee to save herself, her close friend and confidante Madame intervenes. Having been a close confident sense the early days of her marriage to Monsieur, Madame now moved to defend the friend that had been there for her in her times of need. Madame and Louis manage to reach a deal: the Comtesse will leave France for the time being to allow the scandal to die down, though she will not be banished, allowing her to return at a later date. In the meantime Madame uses her influence to have the Comtesse appointed Camarera mayor de Palacio, or First lady of the Bedchamber, to her daughter Princesse Marie-Louise d'Orleans, Queen of Spain sense her marriage to King Carlos II in November 1679. Thanks to this appointment the Comtesse is able to seamlessly insert herself into Spanish High society. However, the actions by Louis XIV concerning the Comtesse would eventually come back to haunt him. But that is in the future, and for now the King has his hands full trying to end the scandal surrounding the Poisons affair. Ultimately Louis abolished the Court in July 1682, as he couldn't afford the publicity of the scandal continuing. To this, Police Chief Reynie said, "the enormity of their crimes proved their safeguard."

But the French Court has more to talk about besides the end of the scandal. They also have a Royal wedding to look forward to. In August Princesse Marie-Therese, Madame Royal and only legitimate daughter of Louis XIV, will marry ( by proxy) her betrothed Archduke Ferdinand, Prince of Asturias and heir to the Spanish Empire. Madame Royale has outgrown the chubbiness of her childhood and blossomed into a young woman. Inheriting much of her fathers looks, Madame Royale is tall, with a thin body, long dark heir, thin lips, large eyes and a wonderful complexion. Though not considered a great beauty, the Princess is by no means plain like her mother and grandmother.The oldest son of Emperor Leopold and the late Infanta Margarita Teresa, Ferdinand would have been the heir to the Holy Roman Empire and the Austrian Monarchy if not for the childlessness of his uncle the last Spanish Habsburg, Carlos II. The decrepit boy of the 1660s has became a sad and depressing man of 21. Barely able to walk, practically illiterate, unable to chew his own food, born with a tongue so large that his speech could barely be understood, and frequently drooled, the King was obviously severely physically impaired. However, it appears that his mental impairments have been exaggerated by Ambassadors. For instance, when he came of age in November 1675 he refused to sign a document to prolong the regency of his mother; plainly he was capable of understanding and signing decrees, following arguments and making political decisions. The 'betwitched King', as many Spaniard's refer to their King as, also has many traits of his ancestors, being as stubborn as his namesake, Emperor Charles V, and as pious as his uncle Emperor Leopold. Sadly for Spain, for whatever his mental abilities really are, his physical ailments severely limit his ability to govern. Carlos has frequent collapses related to an unstable metabolism, leading to the Government being paralyzed by indecision and frequent infighting. At this point control of the Empire seesaws between the Queen Mother Marianna of Austria and the King's half-brother Don Juan Jose, with frequent Palace revolutions between their respective supporters. In an attempt to ensure dynastic succession, the Spanish State Council (the main Council of the Empire) persuades Carlos to make a will naming an heir in the (likely) event that he fails to father in heir, declaring his full nephew Archduke Ferdinand his successor, as Infante Fernando, Prince of Asturias (the title of the heir to the Spanish throne). Furthermore, the will also establishes a full line of succession, via the descendents of the King's late sister, Infanta Margaret Theresa, with her daughters Maria Antonia and Maria Anne being next in line after their brother (the will further acknowledges that Infanta Maria Theresa, Queen of France's renunciation was valid, meaning that in the eyes of Spain,the French have no claim to the Spanish Empire). All of this is done in the hope of keeping a succession war from breaking out between France and Austria after Carlos' death. With the marriage of the daughter of Louis XIV to the heir presumptive to the Spanish Throne, it is hoped that this will be enough to stop any succession war.

On August 8th the proxy wedding takes place at Chapel of Versailles, in the presence of the Royal Family, the Princes of the Blood, the Government Ministers and the entire Court, with the groom represented by the bride's cousin, Monsieur le Duc de Chartres.Despite being the wedding of Madame Royale much of the Court's attention is on the Montpensiers: Anne Marie Louise d'Orleans Duchesse de Montpensier, her husband Antoine Nompar de Caumont, Duc de Lauzun and Duc de Montensier by marriage, and their only child, Anne-Marie de Bourbon-Caumont, Mademoiselle de Montpensier. Both their marriage and the birth of their only child had been a huge surprise to the French Court. The fact that le Grand Mademoiselle (as the Duchesse de Montpensier was known at Court) was in love with a low ranking noble wasn't that surprising, but the fact that the King gave his permission for such a marriage was. Married at the Louvre on December 21 ,1670, it caused much anger from both Monsieur and Queen Maria Theresa. Most believed that the marriage was granted in exchange for le Grand Mademoiselle leaving her vast lands and holdings to one of the King's illegitimate sons or to Monsieur and that the marriage would be barren, as Mademoiselle was 43. Much to the Court's surprise and the King's chagrin, Anne soon found herself pregnant and on November 3rd 1671 gave birth to her only child, a girl. Named Anne-Marie and styled Mademoiselle de Monptensier, this child, now 10, is one of the wealthiest heiresses in all of Europe. Though Mademoiselle de Montpensier isn't a member of the Royal House (being related to the Bourbons in the female line), she is the heiress of a Peeress and will be a Peeress in her own right, leaving many to speculate on who she will marry.

Also in attendance is the Duc and Duchesse de Valois, proud new parents of the heir to the next generation of d'Orleans, their son Louis-Philippe, Comte de Montargis having been born on March 20th of the previous year. After the wedding the newly titled Princess of Asturias and Archduchess of Austria undergoes the ritual bedding of the bride with her proxy husband. The two are escorted to the bedchamber and, in the presence of the King, Queen, Dauphin & Dauphine, Princes of the Blood and ranking Church prelates, including the Archbishop of Paris, the couple gets into bed and touch feet: the Archbishop declares the marriage consummated. Preparations have already began to escort the bride to Vienna, the Imperial capital, but before the Bridal entourage leaves the heavily pregnant Dauphine, Maria Anna Victoria of Bavaria, goes into labor on August 15th. Married to the Dauphin on March 7th 1680, Maria Anna is the first Dauphine in over a century, the last being Mary Queen of Scots and the first German to marry into the Royal family in centuries. On August 16th the Dauphine for fills her primary duty to the State and gives birth to a boy, immediately titled Monseignuer le Duc de Bourgogne and eventually named Louis. This birth delays the Princess's departure by a few days but on August 21st Marie Therese departs Versailles for her new life in Vienna.

1024px-Watteau_French_Dauphin.jpg

The Duc de Bourgogne presented to the Court for the first time

Escorted by her father and other members of the Royal family as far at the Chateau de Fontainebleau, the Princess travels the rest of the way to the border "alone" (a relative term, sense her entourage is made up of 200 people, as benefiting the only legitimate daughter of the French King and the new wife of the Spanish Heir). On August 29th the Bridal party arrives at Metz, with the handover ceremony taking place the next day. Met by officials of the Imperial court, most of the French Household is dismissed, with only a few Ladies and the Princess's personal confessor allowed to stay. The reconstituted Bridal party departs Metz on September 2nd, beginning their journey threw the Holy Roman Empire. The first stop, arriving on September 8th, is the Electorate of Tier, where the Princess and her routine are entertained by Archbishop Johann Hugo von Orsbeck. Departing Tier on the 14th, the Princess's next destination is the city of Frankfurt, the site of the Imperial Elections. Arriving on the 18th, the Princess is greeted by the Mayor and city magistrates, with citizens waving the flags of France and Spain. Departing on the 22nd, the Princess then heads for Heidelberg, capital of the Electoral Palatinate. There, on the 30th, the Princess is in the presence of her distant cousins, the Elector and Electress Palatine. For Marie-Therese this is also a small family reunion as the new Electress, Anne of York, was a childhood playmate of hers when the Electress was in France getting treatment for her bad eyesight. Like her cousin, Anne is new bride, having only married Elector Karl on February 15th (the original date of November 1681 had been postponed for reasons related to the mourning period for the late Elector Karl Ludwig and the late Electress Wilhelmine Ernestine of Denmark). Marie Therese stays with her cousins for about two weeks, finally departing on October 10th. The next two destinations are Augsburg, where she stays in the Palace of the local Bishop and finally Munich, where the Princess is entertained by Elector Ferdinand Maria with grand fireworks and masked balls, a favorite of the young Princess. Finally, on October 25th, the Princess crosses the border to Austria.

At the town of Laxenburg, home to many Imperial estates, the seventeen year old Princess meets her new husband and his family for the first time. She is greeted by the full Imperial family, including Emperor Leopold, Empress Eleanor Magdalene, Dowager Empress Eleanora Gonzaga (widow of Leopold's father Ferdinand III), the Archduchesses Maria Antonia and Maria Anna and finally the groom himself, Archduke-Infante Fernando, Prince of Asturias (the children of Empress Eleanor Magdalene, Archdukes Joseph and Leopold and Archduchess Maria Elisabeth are deemed to young to take part in the ceremonies). The young groom, only fourteen, is a sickly-looking, almost delicate boy, very pale with the Habsburg chin, small eyes, a small nose, and a thin body. Thankfully, however, the Prince seems to be healthier then his decrepit uncle and has a quick mind, making up for his weak body. The Imperial party soon departs Laxenburg heading to Vienna ahead of the young Princess, who remains at Luxemburg for a few more days until Vienna is ready for her State entry. Taking place on November 5th, is a magnificent affair, worthy of the oldest daughter of the King of France. Triumphal arches are erected, noble families proudly display their family crests on their balconies, soldiers of the Guard Regiments parade with the carriage cortege, Ambassadors try to outdo each other by throwing vast outdoor celebrations in honor of the Princess, plays are preformed at each arch, glorifying the Princess and her new husband. Truly it is a celebration for the ages. Finally, the formal wedding is held at St. Stephen's cathedral on November 9th. When the wedding night is over and the marriage consummated, Marie Therese's new life in Vienna begins. It is hoped that with this marriage, the Spanish succession is secured and a new age of peace and prosperity will develop between the Empire, France and Spain. It remains to be seen, however, if this hope will blossom into a rose of peace or wilt and die under the boots of the French King and his vast army
Martin_van_Meytens_012.jpg

Marie Therese, Princess of Asturias' State entry into Vienna

Last edited:
I don't fully understand about Margaret Theresa and her children or Carlos II's other siblings. Please explain the line of succession for me.

OK sure. When King Philip IV died he left three surviving (legitimate) children: in order,Maria Theresa, married to King Louis XIV, Margaret Theresa, later married to Emperor Leopold I and young Carlos II. Maria Theresa would have been the heir after Carlos if she hadn't renounced her rights to the Spanish throne, something the French dispute because, in their interpretation, the renunciation was dependent on a dowry that was never payed. Maria Theresa had two surviving children, Louis le Grand Dauphin and Marie Therese Madame Royale and now a grandson, the Duc de Bourgogne. But because the Spanish consider the renunciation valid, the heir in their opinion is the line of Margaret Theresa.

Married to her uncle Emperor Leopold I, the late Margaret left three surviving children, in order: Archduke-Infante Ferdinand, Archduchess Maria Antonia and Archduchess Maria Anna. Sense their mother is dead, Ferdinand is the heir presumptive to Spain, something the Spanish State Council forced Carlos II to acknowledge in a will. That's why he's Prince of Asturias. And its hoped that his marriage to Madam Royale will help to neutralize French claims, as the King's daughter will be Queen of Spain. Does this help?

thanks. I knew most but was confused about who Ferdinand. So, Ferdinand will probably be Ferdinand VI of Spain. Presumably, Leopold I would re-marry and have Ferdiand renounce his claims to Austria, right?