Any pre-1900 creatives you wish had lived longer?

I'm wondering if there are any creative types born before 1900 you wish had died later.

I have a few: Edgar Allan Poe, Alexander Pushkin, Phillis Wheatley, H. P. Lovecraft and Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky.

I'd say, Christopher Marlowe, but that's just because I fervently believe Shakespeare today is critically overrated and just floating by on his game. I for sure wish Marlowe had a few extra years to be a playwright in London alongside Shakespeare, just so that today's schoolteachers actually KNOW that there were other famous playrights then Shakespeare, even in Shakespeare's own time and in Shakespeare's own London.

My additions next to some already sugested: Nikolaj Gogol, Henri Purcell, Vincent van Gogh, Johannes Vermeer, Carravaggio.

And if we see Mathematics also as a creative process: Abel and Galois, even with it being a law for that profession that the best work is in the early years.

Jose Rizal, if he lived Longer, Luzon would have a separate nationalism.

The last novel he was writing was related to Luzon's history and his research.

Oh there are so many! To take just composers to start with:

Mozart and Schubert. Given an extra five years what might they not have achieved? And Schubert would still only have been 36!
Also Mendelssohn, together with his beloved sister, Fanny Hensel, an interesting composer in her own right, still too much neglected.
Later in that century, Tchaikovsky. In five years we could expect perhaps another symphony, another opera and another ballet? Bizet - he deserved to live to experiance the phenomenal popularity of Carmen, which he never knew about, and would probably have written at least one more opera.
A couple of 'might-have-beens': Juan Crisostomo Arriaga, the 'Spanish Mozart', dead at 20, and Thomas Linley the younger, the 'English Mozart', drowned at 22. Give them both another 10, enough time to achieve greatness.
Henry Purcell should certainly have had at least another five years - what else might he have achieved? And perhaps Pergolesi. Oh, the list is almost endless!

Last edited:
A more lucid Nietzsche. Although I do wonder if he would feel disturbingly validated with the leadup and aftermath of WW1, and possibly have a chance to tell his sister to go shove it with her Nazism.

Oh there are so many! To take just composers to start with:

Mozart and Schubert. Given an extra five years what might they not have achieved? And Schubert would still only have been 36!
Also Mendelssohn, together with his beloved sister, Fanny Hensel, an interesting composer in her own right, still too much neglected.
Later in that century, Tchaikovsky. In five years we could expect perhaps another symphony, another opera and another ballet? Bizet - he deserved to live to experiance the phenomenal popularity of Carmen, which he never knew about, and would probably have written at least one more opera.
A couple of 'might-have-beens': Juan Crisostomo Arriaga, the 'Spanish Mozart', dead at 20, and Thomas Linley the younger, the 'English Mozart', drowned at 22. Give them both another 10, enough time to achieve greatness.
Henry Purcell should certainly have had at least another five years - what else might he have achieved? And perhaps Pergolesi. Oh, the list is almost endless!

Bizet, Purcell, Arriaga, Chopin, Linley, Mendelssohns yes (particularly Fanny)
Mozart PERHAPS
Schubert will just be more unfinished stuff (sorry, I prefer his early symphonies to the Unfinished and Great).
Tchaikovsky hopefully not (sorry, not a fan beyond his violin concerto and symphony no. 5)

Caravaggio, Raphael, Pergolesi (can't think of any more off the top of my head ATM).

I'd say, Christopher Marlowe, but that's just because I fervently believe Shakespeare today is critically overrated and just floating by on his game. I for sure wish Marlowe had a few extra years to be a playwright in London alongside Shakespeare, just so that today's schoolteachers actually KNOW that there were other famous playrights then Shakespeare, even in Shakespeare's own time and in Shakespeare's own London.
Oh indeed I see Shakespeare as a bit like a cross between Armando Iannucci and Ben Elton as both were rather zeitgeisty satirists. Marlowe surviving and collaborating or rivalling Shakespeare is a good thing for both of them!

To the OP I'd add Lorca and Van Gogh.

Egon Schiele springs to mind but LS Lowry even tho he lived long not long enough to hear the pop song written about him that revitalised and celebrated interest in his achievements. I was lucky enough to exhibit art work in the same gallery space once as one of his pieces.

I'd add the British romantic triumvirate: Shelley, Byron and Keats.

As well as Vincenzo Bellini, Carl Maria von Weber and the child prodigy (that astounded even Chopin), Carl Filtsch (who died at 15yo)