Chapter 1. Tragedy at Thérouanne
I can't even remember the last time I've posted here. To be honest, I lost interest in writing and alt. history for quite some time, but over the last year I've gotten back into it. I've slowly been starting to write again... I've had quite a few ideas, but nothing has really kept my interest up until now. I mess a lot with PODs that involve people living or dying, and sort of playing out the effects from here. This is one idea that I've had in my mind for some time and have even written out some chapters for. Hope you all enjoy, and looking forward to comments and any suggestions!

Anno Obumbratio
An Alternate History of the 16th Century

“Nature wronged in making her a woman.
But for her sex, she could have
surpassed all the heroes of history.”

— Thomas Cromwell

Chapter 1. Tragedy at Thérouanne
1513 – England & France.

At Thérouanne, England’s hopes and dreams were ruined.
— Anonymous

Music Accompaniment: Contentez-vous

600px-Flemish_School%2C_16th_century_-_The_Meeting_of_Henry_VIII_and_the_Emperor_Maximilian_I_-_RCIN_405800_-_Royal_Collection.jpg

King Henry VIII of England and Emperor Maximilian meet outside Thérouanne — 1513.

Thirteen years into the new century had seen little changed from the years preceding it—France continued to pursue a policy of conquest in Italy, where Louis XII sought to lay claim to the dominions of Milan and Naples which he believed belonged to the Crown of France as his birthright. Opposition to French claims in Italy were spearheaded by Pope Julius II, the so-called Warrior Pope who wore his armor as confidently as he wore his clerical vestments. Having formed an alliance in 1508 called the League of Cambrai with Ferdinand of Aragon and Emperor Maximilian, this league in 1511 had grown into the Holy League—augmented by the participation of England, the Republic of Venice, and the Swiss Confederacy.

Henry VIII, the King of England, had succeeded his father, Henry VII in 1509. He was a king who was popularly acclaimed, beloved by his people, and adored by his wife—Catherine of Aragon, daughter of Ferdinand of Aragon and Isabella of Castile. While his father had been cautious—plotting, scrimping, and saving, doing all that he could to leave England prosperous and secure, the son was made of more frivolous stuff. Henry VIII dreamed of nothing more than to be the hero-king, leading his armies to victory in the reconquest of France. He saw himself as Henry V reborn; eager to revenge the slights poured upon England since the end of the Hundred Years War. Such dreams were readily exploited by Henry’s father-in-law, Ferdinand of Aragon, who promised to aid Henry VIII in his conquest of the Duchy of Guyenne. In 1512, England’s first foray into France was launched, where 10,000 troops under the Earl of Dorset landed at Hondarribia, ferried by Admiral Edward Howard. This army, eventually quartered at Bayonne, mainly served to support Ferdinand’s conquest of the Kingdom of Navarre—though it continued to maintain possessions north of the Pyrenees, those in the south which formed the ancestral core of the kingdom were lost to the Spanish armies.

The English forces under Dorset, underfunded and undersupplied, had accomplished none of their goals, with many of the soldiers perishing from both hunger and disease. A mutinous mood amongst the troops forced Dorset to bring the invasion force back to England—a mere shadow of the troops that had left in the previous year. Dorset himself returned to England in his sickbed, close to death. He was heavily rebuked by Henry VIII for the failure of his troops—but he eventually received clemency following the intervention of Queen Catherine. Henry VIII reserved most of his anger for his father-in-law; Ferdinand was the one who had made promises and had failed to follow through. Dorset could not be held wholly responsible for what had occurred; was it not more appropriate for the king himself to lead his troops in a war of conquest? Whispers also spoke at court of a possible fracture in the relationship between the king and queen—not only owing to Ferdinand of Aragon’s duplicity, but also their continuing lack of children. Catherine had suffered a miscarriage in 1510, and though she had given birth to a son in 1511, the young boy had lived for only a little over a month. An heir—a male heir, was paramount for the continuance of the Tudor dynasty, lest England once more devolve into warring amongst rival claimants seeking to take the throne. For whatever the rumors might be, the king still seemed taken with his Spanish wife—and in the spring of 1513, it soon became common knowledge that the queen was once more expecting, with both she and the king making prayers that this pregnancy would come to fruition.

300px-HenryVIII_1509.jpg

Henry VIII of England, circa 1509.

Henry VIII continued his plans to prepare for an invasion of France from the north—from the sole remaining English outpost in France, the port city of Calais. Parliament gladly voted their king needed subsidies to continue the war against France, and fresh troops were dispatched to Calais to join those forces commanded there by the Earl of Shrewsbury. It was in May of 1513 that Henry VIII announced that he would be joining the invasion force in person and named Queen Catherine as Regent of England during his absence. Catherine would be assisted by her husband’s council and advisors, including Thomas Wolsey—a cleric whose influence within the royal government was slowly beginning to grow. Throughout June the English army at Calais continued to swell in size—Shrewsbury commanded the vanguard of 8,000, while Lord Herbert commanded the rearward with 6,000 troops. Henry VIII himself set sail from Dover with another 11,000 troops under his command—with provisions provided by Thomas Wolsey in his role of almoner. The English force included cavalry, artillery, infantry, and the famed longbowmen—equipped with arrows with hardened steel heads meant to penetrate heavy armor more effectively. At the end of June, the English forces set out for Thérouanne, though they made little progress in seizing the city. The siege stalled throughout July and August, and English forces were soon augmented by the arrival of Emperor Maximilian with a small entourage of 4,000 cavalrymen. Henry VIII hosted the emperor at the small hamlet of Aire-sur-la-Lys, in a tent made of cloth of gold—a splendid show despite the foul weather upon the day of their meeting. With the French attempting to resupply Thérouanne, Henry VIII soon moved his headquarters to Guinegate after displacing French cavalry holding the tower there—made possible by English engineers having built bridges overnight to cross the Lys.

Though Emperor Maximilian had a battle plan in mind before he had even arrived, Henry VIII had his own plans in mind, and sought to lead the cavalry charge, despite others who believed that the emperor should do so. What played out next would become part of what would be known as the Tragedy of Thérouanne. As English forces under the Earl of Essex harried French troops under the Sieur de La Palice and began to put them to rout, Henry VIII led the cavalry charge in tandem with the Imperial cavalry. Henry VIII’s cavalry encountered fierce resistance, and the king soon found himself unhorsed amid the charge. During the chaos, few are sure of who landed the mortal blow, but it was done: Henry VIII was struck down as the French cavalry attempted to press back the English forces before their line broke completely. The collapse of the king delivered a terrible blow upon the English morale—though the French troops were deflected and unable to resupply Thérouanne, the remaining English commanders were unable to move forth to take advantage of the shattering of the French forces—they could only watch glumly as they faded into the distance, with the English now forced to reckon with what had occurred. Only the Imperial cavalry had saved the English troops from a complete dissolution. Their young king—the light of the kingdom and their daring monarch, now lie dead—perhaps the Tudor dynasty with it. The king had no son—there remained only his sisters: Margaret, Queen of Scotland, and the Princess Mary, betrothed to Charles of Ghent, grandson of the Emperor Maximilian. There also remained Queen Catherine—Regent of England and pregnant. All hope rested upon the queen coming through this travail successfully: could England afford to elevate Margaret, wed to the Scottish king, or Princess Mary, a young girl, as their sovereign? Both seemed unthinkable. How would this news be sent home? As the English commanders quibbled amongst themselves, Maximilian volunteered to pen a letter to the queen personally.

Your Grace,
It is with great sadness that I must write to you regarding the events that have taken place here at Thérouanne. Though we have had what some might call a victory, it has come at a terrible, terrible cost. I am sure you will receive this letter with great curiosity, but I beseech you to read this letter most carefully. It with a heavy heart and deep regret that I must write to you of your husband—I am afraid he is no more. He perished leading the English cavalry. I know that this news will come to you as a great shock; I hope that your attendants and dearest friends may be of some comfort to you, as well as this—your lord husband’s death was not in vain. He died as a man ought to die, as so many men wish to die: in battle, as a hero. He will always be remembered as such—his golden youth shall last now forever, and Our Lord shall ensure he shall always be a comfort. Let this memory and this faith nurture you.

We pray most fervently for you and your child.

I remain your devoted friend and ally.
MAXIMILIAN.

The news of the king’s death could not be kept from the troops—and the news would slowly filter back to England via Calais, though messengers bearing the news for both the queen and the Privy Council were delayed for nearly a week because of bad weather preventing the crossing. The English armies, now in complete disarray, were forced to lift the siege of Thérouanne—they slowly filtered back across the frontier to Calais, where the English fleet laid in wait to ferry the troops back home. The king’s body was brought with them. Henry’s dreams of a reconquest of France had died with him—and one could only wonder what might happen next.

Last edited:
Interesting scenario.
The king had no son—there remained only his sisters: Margaret, Queen of Scotland, and the Princess Mary, betrothed to Charles of Ghent, grandson of the Emperor Maximilian.
could England afford to elevate Margaret, wed to the Scottish king, or Princess Mary, a young girl, as their sovereign? Both seemed unthinkable.
Looks as that if Queen Catherine (now Queen dowager) would resemble to the OTL one... Then, would be possible that soon the English would be looking to even more unthinkable grimmer perspectives as would be looming a new dynastic war entangled with a war between the Empire and Scotland by the English Throne.

Excellent TL and 1st chapter. I can't wait to see what happens in England and what Charles decides to do, since if he decides to go with Mary until the end, his grandfather Ferdinand will most likely disinherit him in favor of his brother.

Holy shit. I am in love with this scenario already.
Thank you! I know there's quite a few ideas involving the death of Henry VIII, but this was a certain idea that I couldn't get out of my head. I've enjoyed developing it and I'm interested in showing where it goes next.

Interesting scenario.

Looks as that if Queen Catherine (now Queen dowager) would resemble to the OTL one... Then, would be possible that soon the English would be looking to even more unthinkable grimmer perspectives as would be looming a new dynastic war entangled with a war between the Empire and Scotland by the English Throne.
Yes, once more she has lost a young husband, and finds herself in a rather untenable situation. Everything hinges on her present pregnancy... but given her previous failures in that situation, many in England are beginning to look at the alternatives. Either way, there is no good option. It's either a) child monarch and a long regency b) the throne passes to Margaret, and by extension, Scotland, or c) the throne passes to the Princess Mary, an untested girl of seventeen who has received no education at all to govern.

Excellent TL and 1st chapter. I can't wait to see what happens in England and what Charles decides to do, since if he decides to go with Mary until the end, his grandfather Ferdinand will most likely disinherit him in favor of his brother.
Honestly, it's less about what Charles wants to do and what Emperor Maximilian wants to do. ;) Charles is only thirteen at this point. Ferdinand of Aragon still perhaps nurses hopes of having an heir with Germaine of Foix (thereby severing the union of Castile and Aragon), but time is running out for that. Charles has already been named heir in Castile in both 1506 and 1510. Queen Joanna was recognized as the heiress-presumptive of Aragon in 1502, but at the time the Archbishop of Zaragoza expressed that such an oath did not modify the right of succession: that could only be done with a formal agreement between the king and the Corts. Still, there is no doubt that Ferdinand would prefer to see his namesake (and Spanish reared) grandson raised to the throne over his Flemish grandson. Who's to say?

Chapter 2. The Interregnum
Chapter 2. The Interregnum
1513 – England & Scotland.

“Remember that English courage excels that of all other nations.”
— Catherine of Aragon, in speech to English troops.

POW_POW_3189-001.jpg

Portraiture of Queen Catherine of Aragon, unknown date.

News of Henry VIII’s death at Thérouanne spread like wildfire—within days, the news had reached Paris and the court of Louis XII, and within three weeks, dispatches were also brought to Ferdinand of Aragon. The monarchs of Europe were soon aware of the death of one of their brothers—with the question remaining: what might happen now in England? The king had left no heir—only an expectant wife and two sisters, one of whom was married to the King of Scotland—a king who had in 1512 renewed Scotland’s ancestral Auld Alliance with France. England’s invasion of France had alarmed the Scottish king, who began to muster his troops—along with dispatching a fleet of some twenty-two ships to join the French fleet at Brest. With the death of Henry VIII, this possible Scottish muster took on a more ominous tone.

Catherine of Aragon had spent the months following Henry VIII’s departure doing what she could to ensure that the English troops in France had adequate supplies—not only of needed funds, but of food, clothing, powder, and weaponry. Headquartered at Richmond Palace, the queen also devoted personal time to sewing badges, banners, and standards for the army. Catherine was still situated at Richmond when the darkly attired messengers arrived on August 24th to bring the terrible news that she had most dread—that her husband was dead. The news brought the queen a grievous shock—suffering from dizziness and a nosebleed, she soon fainted and had to be revived by her personal physician. Though urged to retire to her bed and rest, given her pregnancy, the queen refused—instead asking that the Privy Council be summoned to attend to her.

Though the Earl of Shrewsbury had written to the Privy Council to inform them of the king’s demise, the messenger had been delayed. It fell to Catherine of Aragon to inform the king’s councilors of the king’s death; the men within the council received the news with the great shock—their beloved king was now gone. To whom would they owe their obeisance to now? Not only was the succession in doubt; they had little clue to what the king would’ve desired. In the flush of youth, more focused on war than mortality, Henry VIII had left behind no will. Eyes in the council fell upon Catherine of Aragon—she had been named regent, and furthermore, she was pregnant with the king’s child—and her confinement and lying-in would be in several months. It was decided that the matter of the succession would be deferred until the queen gave birth; if all went well, the queen would deliver them the future king they needed. The machinery of government would remain in the hands of Queen Catherine as regent, her authority laid out in the patent granted to her by the late king. She would continue to be assisted by the Privy Council. If the queen did not deliver a living child, as she had before… it was an idea that the council did not wish to consider. So began the English interregnum.

300px-Margaret_Tudor%2C_Queen_of_Scotland.jpg

James IV of Scotland & Margaret Tudor.

The trouble brewing in England following the king’s death continued when James IV of Scotland crossed the border with an army of some 42,000 men—including several large pieces of artillery. He had little trouble in seizing several castles in Northumberland along the River Tweed. Despite this, the English were not caught completely off-guard; Henry VIII had organized a force of troop and artillery to defend northern England from Scottish excursions, and even included guns that had been returned to England by Margaret of Austria. This force was commanded by Thomas Howard, the Earl of Surrey, and based at Pontefract castle. James IV had also made notice of his intent to invade the month prior—the king having kept with a medieval code of chivalry that was quickly dying out. Catherine of Aragon wasted little time when news of the Scottish invasion came to her—not only were warrants issued to seize the property of Scotsmen living within England, but she also ordered Thomas Lovell to raise an army in the midland counties, should the Scots dare press further south. She also dispatched £10,000 from the royal treasury to procure needed supplies of powder and shot for the English armies. Catherine also made a stunning choice to embark northwards—despite protests from the council who worried for her safety, the queen emptied the Tower of London’s armory and proclaimed her intentions to join the forces being raised by Lovell. It was at Buckingham that the queen delivered a splendid speech: “I beseech you all to know that our cause is worthy—the Lord smiles upon those who stand in the defense of their own against all others. Do not doubt your strength, for you are all worthy—remember that English courage excels that of all other nations on Earth!” The queen’s speech went down wonderfully with the English captains, and within a fortnight her speech was reported by the historian Peter Martyr d’Anghiera at Valladolid.

In the north, the Earl of Surrey prepared as best he could for the Scottish invaders. He was reluctant to put his troops into the field too soon—for a troop in the field would have to be fed and paid at his expense. He issued orders for troops from the northern counties to assemble at Newcastle-on-Tyne on September 1st. Along with 500 troops, Surrey was joined by 1000 experienced sailors, along with their guns, brought north by his son (also called Thomas Howard) who served as Lord High Admiral. Surrey also made the decision to stop at Durham Cathedral, where he was presented with the banner of Saint Cuthbert, a relic which the English had carried into battle against the Scots in 1138 and 1346—battles in which they were victorious. The muster helped bring Surrey’s troop up to some 26,000 men—and they soon met the Scottish troops at Flodden Edge, a hill located south of Branxton. This hill offered the Scottish a good defensive position—their flanks were protected by marshes and steep slopes, leaving only a direct approach. James IV sent forth his herald on September 7th to set terms and time for the coming battle—James IV refused to remove his army from their defensive position, and Surrey’s troops were badly in need of supplies. His options were limited; he could make a direct assault, facing the Scottish artillery and risking losing his army—or refusing the fight, and possibly provoking the ire of the council and the queen. Who was to say who might come to reign in England in these coming months? A victory was what was needed most, and the Earl of Surrey was intent to provide it.

400px-Battle_Scene%2C_by_Hans_Holbein_the_Younger.jpg

Battle scene by Hans Holbien (c. 1524).
Surrey moved his troops from their camp—but rather than heading towards Flodden, he chose instead to turn east and cross the River Till. An old Roman road, known as the Devil’s Causeway was across the river, which allowed the English troops to move north towards Barmoor. Their destination lay at Branxton Hill, which lay two miles north of the Scottish camp. The English forces suffered from low rations and were forced to drink from the streams due a lack of beer, but they pushed onward. Though the Scottish had clear sign of the English movements and even spotted the vanguard, James IV remained cautious and refused to commit his troops to battle until he could see exactly what he faced in front of him—upon a plain field. The weather was wet and windy when the battle began in the afternoon, which began with an artillery duel. The large Scottish guns did not perform as well as James IV had hoped, and though the flank under the Earls of Home and Huntley made some progress against the English troops, it devolved into a stalemate with the intervention of Baron Dacre’s light cavalry. James IV ordered his troops to advance forward—while the English commanders commanded from the rear, the Scottish nobility and the king fought at the front with their troops. At the foot of Branxton Hill, the Scottish troops encountered marshy ground which rendered their movement difficult. The Scottish troops, equipped with French pikes, began to shed the cumbersome weapons—depriving the Scottish troops of a cohesive counter. The Highland troops under Argyll and Lennox held back and were eventually forced to flee when archers under the command of Monteagle launched volley after volley of arrows into the lightly armored Highlanders. Though James IV reached Surrey’s bodyguard, the close fighting continued—with the other English formations eventually converging to aid their commander—with orders given that no Scottish noble should be taken hostage. James IV was killed in the final stages of the battle—another king wiped off the map within months. The English suffered minimal losses, while the Scottish lost some 14,000 men—including the king and the flower of the Scottish nobility. Though England had suffered a grave loss in their king—at Flodden they had averted a certain disaster.

Last edited:

Grey Wolf

Donor
France had this 2 centuries before, with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_I_of_France who was born several months after the death of his father. The difference there of course was that the regent was the heir presumptive, the dead king's brother, so in a sense he was pre-king during this time, whereas in England in this scenario the heir presumptive is Margaret, sister of the king and Queen of Scotland and thus an enemy in arms, as is her sister.

I would certainly think in this scenario the nobles married to/sons of Edward IV's daughters (i.e. the late Queen Elizabeth's sisters) would be jockeying for position, though the eldest recognised of these might be 15?

Soooo, England now has no king, and Scotland's infant king is in very close line to the throne... This will be interesting. It really is all up to whether Kat's pregnancy comes to term, but given her otl record... It will be a spicy time for all involved. Now you just need to kill off the future Francis I for the chaos to be absolute

Last edited:
So, given that James IV fate and the subsequent Scottish interregnum not affected by the butterflies, now it only 'd left in the bench to the Princess Mary betrothed to Charles of Ghent until when/if the Queen Dowager would unlike,OTL 'd manage somewhat to have a successful pregnancy...

France had this 2 centuries before, with https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_I_of_France who was born several months after the death of his father. The difference there of course was that the regent was the heir presumptive, the dead king's brother, so in a sense he was pre-king during this time, whereas in England in this scenario the heir presumptive is Margaret, sister of the king and Queen of Scotland and thus an enemy in arms, as is her sister.

I would certainly think in this scenario the nobles married to/sons of Edward IV's daughters (i.e. the late Queen Elizabeth's sisters) would be jockeying for position, though the eldest recognised of these might be 15?
Yes, I admit I was rather influenced by the French interregnum before the birth of John. His mother was a young girl and had no part in the regency, and of course the child died.

Honestly, with the Yorkists, it's a bit of a mess. Of Edward IV's daughters, there is Cecily... she was married to the Viscount Welles, and later married a minor squire in Lincolnshire. Anne of York had married the Earl of Surrey, but died in 1511. She had no issue. Catherine of York was married to the Earl of Courtenay, and does have a male heir. Her eldest son is only about 15, as you said. There's also Margaret, daughter of the Duke of Clarence. Her eldest son with Richard Pole is about twenty. Most of the Yorkist heiresses were given other to English lords, some below their station.

There's also the Duke of Buckingham. He's a grown man, has royal blood as the Staffords can claim descent through Edward III. They also have connections to the Tudors through the Beauforts. He'd be the most likely male candidate, IMO.

Yeah, I'm secretly hoping for the Catherine's baby to not make it, or at minimum be a girl.
You're definitely going to enjoy the next chapter!

Chapter 3. A Queen is Born
Chapter 3. A Queen is Born
1513-1514 – England.

Be it declared … that the Regal Power of this Realm is in the queen’s grace as fully …
and as absolutely … as it ever was in her most noble progenitors, kings of this realm.
This power shall be vested … into the hands of the queen’s most gracious mother …
as regent … until her grace attains her age of majority.
—Titulus Reginae (1514)

Music Accompaniment: Salve Regina

1956.16_nacimiento-virgen.jpg

Birth of the Virgin, Jan de Beer (c. 1520).

The English victory at Flodden Field brought relief to the suffering kingdom. Catherine had gone no further than Woburn Abbey, and it was there Thomas Hawley brought her news of the English victory, along with a token: the King of Scots bloodied surcoat, along with his golden crucifix. Aside from armor and horses taken from the remnants of the Scottish army, there was also the body of the deceased king. His excommunication prevented his burial, and so James IV came to rest at Sheen Priory—until such time that permission might be given for his burial in consecrated ground. Indeed, Catherine remarked in a letter to her father, “I should have liked to have had the King of the Scots’ head as my reward, given the trouble that he has caused us… but the Englishmen’s hearts would not suffer it. I enclose a piece of his surcoat with this letter and hope that it reaches you.” With the English having lost their own king, the victory at Flodden gave the English needed time to breathe and to find a path forward. For the moment—things must remain as they were, with Queen Catherine to serve as regent, assisted by the king’s council until she gave birth. Only then would things be able to be decided—would England have a child king, or might they have a queen?

Catherine of Aragon returned to capital to almost a hero’s welcome—the people saluted not only her bravery, but her determination to serve England despite the death of Henry VIII. Though she returned to the Palace of Greenwich in triumph, it was still an empty victory—a battle had been won, but her husband had still been lost. A chronicler in London at the time of the queen’s return remarked upon her dress, “The queen from her litter looked upon us as if an angel had come down to bless us… her dress was in the Spanish style, completely white, with silver trim. Pearls decorated her neckline. Upon her head she wore a white hood—covered by a translucent veil of fine silk that obscured her. She wore little jewelry—only a silver gilt crucifix that hung from about her neck, and her betrothal ring.” Rather than bedeck herself in black, the queen had dressed herself completely in white; a mourning color associated amongst the queens of Spain and France. Her entry to the capital was thus subdued, with the black crepe and bunting that decorated the streets denoting the deep mourning that the people felt within the capital for their fallen king. Upon her return, Catherine devoted herself to Henry’s funeral—when the king’s body was returned to England from Calais, he was soon interned at Westminster Abbey within the chapel of Henry VII in a temporary sepulcher. Catherine contributed £1500 for the construction of the king’s tomb—which would hold the king, and eventually herself when she passed from this world. The king’s funeral was one of great pageantry—orators celebrated his virtues and his great desire to bring glory forever. Though Henry VIII had died in battle—he would forever be a martyr king, to enhance the mythos of the Tudor Dynasty for the years to come. A young hero king, forever etched in stone in the full blush of youth.

The business of government continued to be handled efficiently by the king’s privy council. Overseen by Catherine, she placed her faith in her husband’s former advisors, which included the William Warham, the Archbishop of Canterbury as Lord Chancellor, Richard Foxe, the Bishop of Winchester as Lord Privy Seal, and Thomas Howard, the Earl of Surrey as Lord High Treasurer. Though Catherine found uses for the lowlier men that her husband has favored, such as Thomas Wolsey, and Charles Brandon, the Viscount Lisle who served as Master of the Horse, the council remained primarily dominated by the conservative aristocracy and clergy who had been favored by Henry VII—and who Henry VIII had inherited from his father. Though Catherine retained her position as regent, her powers remained circumscribed by the Letters Patent that had been issued by Henry VIII: she was allowed to make commissions of muster and array; to grant licenses to elect the chapters of conventual churches that were not cathedrals nor bishoprics. She could make gifts from vacant churches, but only in the value of twenty to forty marks, and to appoint sheriffs. She could also issue warrants, and her word was to be as good as the king’s. In the most uncertain days following the king’s death, Catherine was content to the take the advice of the council—more focused on the matter of her advancing pregnancy. Her one important act in 1513 was to authorize £2000 to be put towards the reconstruction of the privy portion of the Palace of Westminster which had been destroyed in a fire in 1512. In late November Catherine entered her lying-in at Greenwich—with the birth and confinement to occur in December.

The realm waited with bated breath throughout December—and on December 31st, the queen delivered the long-awaited heir of Henry VIII—a strapping and lusty young girl. Though not the boy desired by the late king, the queen was delirious with desire as the child was cleaned, and eager to have the child—her daughter, placed into her arms. When the great officers of state were admitted into the birthing chamber, given the extraordinary circumstances, they were greeted by a weary Catherine holding her daughter. With a bright smile, she announced: “Milords of England—it is with my greatest pleasure that I may introduce you to your sovereign—the daughter of Henry VIII, your queen.” It was a startling announcement but made for great propaganda: having succeeded in bearing a child, this child was the last link to Henry VIII—and in the absence of a male heir, it was reasoned that this young child was the most viable successor, babe or not. Without this young child, the choices were limited to Margaret, the now widowed Queen of Scots, who would surely pass the realm onto her son, James V and ensure that the Scots would hold dominion over England. The only remaining option was the king’s youngest sister, Mary—a young girl of seventeen presently engaged to Charles of Ghent, who would in time succeed his grandfather, the Emperor Maximilian. The young babe would have to do—at least there would be a steady hand to govern the realm until she came of age. A young babe could be molded into a proper monarch.

Thus, the interregnum had come to an end—and a successor to Henry VIII had been found. The young queen was christened several days later—on January 4th, where she was named Mary not only in honor of her aunt, the Princess Mary, but also the Virgin Mary. She was baptized at the Church of the Observant Friars; her godparents included Ferdinand of Aragon with the Bishop of Winchester serving as proxy; while her godmothers included Margaret of Austria, with the Countess of Surrey serving as her proxy, and Catherine of York, the Countess of Devon. Margaret Pole, the Countess of Salisbury stood as sponsor at the infant queen’s confirmation—marking clear who Catherine of Aragon truly favored. Young Mary was strong—and with each passing day seemed to grow even stronger, doted upon by her royal mother, who was most pleased to have borne a child, even more so that said child had lived, and would be Queen of England.

Forty days following the birth, Catherine of Aragon was churched and was finally free to leave her confinement chambers. Her main concern was to protect the rights of her daughter: and that meant maintaining the regency. She saw no-one else who could serve in such a position except for herself. With the privy council, the main issues were hammered out: that Catherine should continue to serve as regent for the young queen, until her majority; that a new warrant should be issued setting out her powers as regent and removing any restrictions or disabilities that had been placed upon her by the late king’s warrant. There also remained the issue of the position of the young queen, for she would be England’s first queen regnant. Catherine herself only made minor requests—that she should alone have the decisions regarding the young queen’s household and education, and that she should be granted additional revenues alongside her jointure of £4100 to maintain her dignity as queen-regent and to offset additional costs she might incur in the governance of the realm. It was decided that the question of the warrant and the queen-regent’s income would be placed before Parliament.

400px-Parliament_of_Henry_VIII_1523.jpg

Opening of Parliament from the Wriothesley Garter Book.

The very first Parliament of Queen Mary’s reign opened in the summer of 1514 at Westminster. Catherine, with the young queen in tow attended mass at Westminster Abbey, before proceeding to the chambers of parliament, where Catherine sat upon the throne under the cloth of estate, crowned and arrayed with a crimson robe of state—with young Mary swaddled in her arms in a cloth of silver. The Archbishop of Canterbury and the Bishop of Winchester sat beside Catherine, and favored peers bore the sword of state and the cap of maintenance. When Parliament was formally opened in Queen Mary’s name, the young sovereign was whisked away to avoid being wearied by the heavy business of government. Warham, the Archbishop of Canterbury served as Catherine’s speaker, seeking to outline the wishes of Queen Catherine. Major concerns lay before Parliament in the succession of the young queen—what would be her powers as sovereign when she came of age? Would such powers be limited upon her marriage? What of the English customs where a woman’s property became her husbands upon their marriage—would the English law pertain to the crown of England, as well?

It was the Archbishop of Canterbury that spoke for Catherine. “It is our greatest desire—nay, our most fervent desire, to provide prosperous and stable government during the minority of Her Grace. Queen Catherine takes her role as guardian and regent most seriously… and looks to you milords of Parliament, to provide her the necessary succor. Tho’ born a Princess of Spain, Her Grace is an Englishwoman through and through by virtue of her marriage to our late sovereign, Henry VIII. She desires nothing more than to provide the realm with good governance—and she asks you, milords of Parliament, to assist her—and grant her power without the previous penalties attached to it. Her Grace is prepared to sacrifice her happiness for England’s honor; as a woman she has no stomach for war, nor does she wish to entangle England in ruinous wars abroad—she knows the trouble we have suffered in France. The crown and this inheritance must be safeguarded until our young queen comes of age, and Her Grace beseeches you, the commons, to aid her in this.” The speech went down swimmingly—and in due course, Parliament would signal its approval to an act which would become known as the Titulus Reginae.

The act declared that the royal powers and prerogatives held by England’s kings would also be held by its reigning queen—with those powers to be specifically placed into the hands of Catherine of Aragon as queen-regent until Queen Mary attained her eighteenth birthday. In the question of funds, Parliament voted the young queen port duties as well as tonnage and poundage for life as was traditional and agreed to vote the crown a subsidy of £100,000 to raise fresh troops for the conflict against France. Regarding Catherine of Aragon’s jointure, it was agreed that additional manors and lands from the royal domain totaling £3000 should be given over to her use for the duration of her regency in expectation of increased expenses she might incur. One of Catherine’s first acts as queen-regent was to publish a letters patent rewarding the Earl of Surrey for his swift job in dealing with the Scots—he was named Duke of Norfolk, granting him the title that had been held by his father, with his eldest son to be awarded his former title of Earl of Surrey.

Catherine settled upon the empty throne—knowing that she would have many lonely years ahead of her, protecting the Kingdom of England and her daughter’s inheritance until she came of age. It was a heavy burden to bear, but it was one she was ready and willing to shoulder.

Last edited:
Long live Mary! We hope that her reign will be long and prosperous.

P.S: Since we're killing kings, it would be interesting to see what would happen if Max and Ferdinand swap death dates.

Last edited:
Long live Mary! We hope that her reign will be long and prosperous.

P.S: Since we're killing kings, it would be interesting to see what would happen if Max and Ferdinand swap death dates.
And so the main point of my POD has arrived: Henry VIII dies, leaving behind a posthumous daughter... with the little queen's mother, Catherine of Aragon, heading the regency. I know there have been several TL's regarding Mary coming to the throne before she did OTL, but I figure this is a unique take on it, especially with the Catherine of Aragon angle. I've always been fascinated with Catherine's story, so the idea of her having some control over her own destiny and being a power player intrigues me.

And before anyone asks... no, this Mary will not be marrying James V of Scotland. There's quite a few ATLs that cover that idea. No earlier Stewart/Stuart England, here. Unsure of what marriage she might make. Of course Catherine will probably be the proponent of a Spanish / Habsburg marriage; assuming Mary and Charles get married (looking increasingly likely) perhaps a son of theirs, assuming they have one. Given Catherine's anti-French antitude, a French marriage is out of the idea. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions?

A marriage between Mary and one of king Manuel’s younger sons would likely be best if you don’t want to go with a Stewart match (In my eyes the most sensible match since it neutralizes the Northern border, but I suppose you could make the argument that the Scots are viewed with deep suspicion, especially after Flodden). Portugal is an old ally, so viewed with less suspicion than other foreign matches, is a very wealthy kingdom, any of Manuel’s sons are Cat’s nephews through her sister, another Mary, and though they’re Habsburg adjacent, like England will likely be, there’s still room for flexibility with a Portugal match which means that England and Portugal won’t just be the emperor’s lapdogs. The ones likely considered are all also fitting agewise

Alternatively, the English might prefer a domestic match. If Mary sr ends up with Brandon as otl, their son might work well, although some Englishmen likely will be furious at Brandon’s upstart success. Their son would be the only one besides James V to also have Tudor blood though. The son of the Duke of Buckingham or Henry Courtenay could work well despite the age gap, but if you want a less extreme gap then maybe Henry Grey or Thomas Pole could work. Thomas has prominent Plantagenet ancestry as well and it’d be Margaret Pole’s ultimate vengeance hahah. Alternatively, if the Howards play their cards right, maybe Henry Howard could work. If you want absolute irony, have Queen Mary go all Tudor and make her elope with George Boleyn, although that might be a bit of a stretch. Edward Stanley, step-great grandson of Maggie Beaufort might be an option too

Last edited: