Constance of Brittany
  • Angevin loss

Constance of Brittany

Constance of Brittany m. Geoffrey II of Brittany d. 1186(a) Ranulph de Blondeville div. 1198(b) Guy de Thouars(c)

1a. Eleanor of Brittany b. 1182/84 m. 1195 Louis VIII b. 1187(a)[1]

1a1a. Constance of France b. 1203 m. Raymond Berenguer IV of Provence

1a2a. Eleanor of France b. 1205 m. Henry I of Sicily b. 1210

1a3a. Philip III of France b. 1209 m. Agnes of Donzy

1a4a. Louis of France b. 1212 m. Isabella II of Jerusalem

1a5a. Geoffrey of France, Count of Artois b. 1216

1a6a. Isabelle of France b. 1218 nun

2a. Mathilde of Brittany b. 1185 m. 1194 Sancho VII[2]

2a1a. Constance of Navarre b. 1202 m. Ferdinand III of Castile

2a2a. Eleanor of Navarre b. 1206 m. Enrique of Leon[3]

2a3a. Peter II of Navarre b. 1208 m. Berengaria of Leon

3a. Arthur of Brittany b. 1187-1189

4c. Conan V of Brittany b. 1200 m. Berengaria of Portugal b. 1198

4b1a. Arthur I of Brittany b. 1216

6c. Alix of Brittany b. 1200 m. Henry of Penthievre

6c1a. Alan II of Penthievre b. 1218

1.Eleanor of Brittany marries Louis VIII on 1195, which results on the loss of Plantagenet continental domains after the death of Richard I on 1199.

2. On 1191 Richard would arrange a marriage between his niece, Mathilde of Brittany and Sancho VII of Navarre which was consummated on 1200, which would secure the succession of Navarre.

3. Son of Ferdinand of Leon and Blanche of Castile

Last edited:
    Richard I’s return and death
  • On 1191, Berengaria of Navarre and Richard would arrange a marriage between Mathilde of Brittany and Sancho VII of Navarre to strengthen ties between the two countries.

On 1194, Eleanor of Brittany and Richard I of England would return to England after the failed engagement of Eleanor of Brittany with the Duke of Austria to secure the ransom of Richard I.

To restore peace between the Plantagenets and the Capetians and married his niece, Eleanor of Brittany to Philippe’s son, Louis in 1195, the marriage would result in peace between the two countries and knowing that peace, Richard I would secure peace between the two countries.

As Richard I would fail to sire a child on his death when he was battling a revolt in Chalus in 1199, he would assign his brother, John as the heir to England and his continental holdings, John I of England would marry Isabella of Angouleme repudiating his wife, Isabella, Countess of Gloucester who did not contest the annulment.

Eleanor of Brittany
  • On 1194, Eleanor of Brittany and Richard I of England would return to England after the failed engagement of Eleanor of Brittany with the Duke of Austria to pay off the ransom of Riichard I, Eleanor’s sister, Mathilde is married off to Sancho VII of Navarre to improve the relations of Navarre and England earlier.

To restore peace between the Plantagenets and the Capetians, Richard would marry his niece, Eleanor of Brittany to Philippe’s son, Louis in 1195, the marriage would result in peace between the two countries on his own reign.

Richard I would fail to sire a child with his wife Berengaria and he would die putting down a rebellion and his brother would succeed him in 1199, however, Philip II of France would annex Normandy and Anjou, as they were inherited by his son and his wife, Eleanor of Brittany, however, Aquitaine would be under Eleanor of Aquitaine but that inheritance would not be spared off Philippe’s plans later on in the long run.

On 1204, Aquitaine would recognize Eleanor of Brittany and her husband Louis as the heirs to Aquitaine after the death of Eleanor of Aquitaine despite of her preferring John, this would seal the loss of the Continental lands of the Plantagenets.

On 1210, Ingeborg of France would arrange the marriage of her stepdaughter, Marie to her brother, Valdemar II and Berengaria of Portugal to Conan V of Brittany.

On 1209, Eleanor of Brittany would finally give birth to the waited son of the couple after bearing two daughters, Constance(1203) and Eleanor(1205), who would be the Countess of Provence and Queen of Sicily respectively.

Last edited:
    Eleanor of Aquitaine’s death
  • In 1202, Eleanor of Aquitaine would wear the habit of a nun and would die on 1204, giving the inheritance of Aquitaine to her son, John I of England, however, Philippe II himself would gain the rule of Aquitaine, even if John I attacked Aquitaine as the Aquitainian nobility ultimately recognized the rights of Eleanor of Brittany and her husband’s rights to Aquitaine effectively eliminating the Angevins from the continent completely.

The purpose of the marriage of Isabella of Angouleme and John I to maintain the Aquiitainian inheritance would fail but she would not fail to give John his own children.

In 1208, the Flemish would ally with England and betroth Margaret of Flanders, the sister of Joanna I to the heir of England, the dispensation would be granted to counterbalance the power of Philippe II of France.

Before the battle of Bouvines and the capture of Countess Joanna of Flanders, Margaret would be sent to England for safety, this would mean that the English would possibly gain lands in the continent again due to the captivity of Joanna of Flanders.

Children of John I of England

John I of England m. Isabella of Angouleme(a)

1a. Henry III of England b. 1207 m. Margaret of Flanders

2a. Richard, Earl of Cornwall b. 1209

3a. Joanna b. 1210

4a. Isabella b. 1214

5a. Eleanor b. 1216

Last edited:
    Constance of Aragon
  • On 1208, Constance of Aragon would marry Frederick I of Sicily who is now 14 years old, Constance of Aragon was the Queen mother of Hungary before her first son died, Frederick I of Sicily, would have two sons, her three children would be Henry(1210), Frederick(1212), both Henry and Frederick would have good marriages, Henry would marry Eleanor of France who was affianced to the King of Scotland and Frederick would marry the 8 years older, Margaret of Austria, the two marriages would improve the relations between the two countries of France and Germany.

Due to Frederick I of Sicily securing the Holy Roman Empire on 1214, after the death of his uncle on 1208, Constance of Aragon would die as a regent to the Kingdom of Sicily herself on 1220.

Barons war
  • On 1216, the Barons war would erupt and they would invite Eleanor and her husband, Louis of France, however, John would die and the barons would choose the young son of John I, Henry and the Plantagenets of England would be forced to renounce the French lands in the treaty of Paris on 1217 and Eleanor and Louis to renounce England themselves.

Henry III of England would start in a bad start as Isabella of Angouleme would try to find her lands in France and would want to rule her herself and she would remarry to Hugh of Lusignan which would oust her as regent in favor of William Marshal, that would now be the beginning of a new England, an England that would never be burdened by the affairs of the continent, however, the imprisonment of Joanna of Flanders would be an issue which might cause the English to gain another continental foothold so they freed her and her husband.

The bride scorned
  • On 1206, Marie of France is betrothed to Alexander of Scotland against John, but on 1209, on the death of Dagmar of Bohemia, Queen of Denmark, Ingeborg would plead to King Philip II to marry Marie of France to Valdemar II of Denmark to maintain the alliance between France and Denmark after their deaths, this would happen and Princess Eleanor would now be betrothed to Alexander of Scotland since Princess Constance is betrothed to Ramon Berenguer IV, on 1216, on the barons war, Alexander of Scotland would break his betrothal to Princess Eleanor to aid King Henry III of England against the French led by Prince Louis and chose a betrothal with Princess Joanna of England, the cancellation of the betrothal of Princess Marie of France was said to be one of the nails of the coffin of the French Dual monarchy with England.

The marriage of Constance of France to Ramon Berenguer IV would work wonders on France against the House of Toulouse on the annexation of the county of Toulouse and Margrave of Provence on the Cathar crusade after the death of King Peter II of Aragon.

Princess Eleanor would end up married to Henry, Prince of the Holy Roman Empire on 1220, after the refusal of the King of Scotland to marry her, on 1216.

Last edited:
    Blanche of Castile
  • On 1204, Mafalda or Matilde of Castile would die and her older sister, Blanca would be the replacement bride for Fernando of Leon, the two would marry on 1205, which would secure the succession of Leon and Separate it from Castile completely, Blanca would have a good relationship with her husband, Fernando of Leon, that the two would start to consummate their marriage a year after their marriage, Fernando of Leon is too young and the two would have a great relationship, that she would bear three pregnancies reaching term resulting to children surviving to adulthood named Leonor(1207), Enrique(1210) and Fernando(1212) with her husband despite her husband dying on 1214, she would be a formidable regent to the Kingdom of Leon in the long run after her father in law died.

Last edited:
    Situation of the Iberian Peninsula prior to the Navas de Tolosa
  • SITUATION.png

Last edited: