An Unexpected Prince

So, a query for you all. Where would you like to see next? France, Spain, Naples, the Empire, or India?

Going a quick bit back from this timeline, It appears we have not heard much from Naples in a long time, which I find surprising although I may be getting confused with "A Britain of panters and lions" because both timelines occur in the same time period with very similar pods.

Another interesting one I am interested in is what is going on in Poland, Sweden or Brandenburg around this time? Since a quick search reveals this is the time when the Russian navy scores its first significant victory over the Swedish navy at Gangut.

Finally, to look in another direction 1714 is the year in which the Ottoman - Venetian war occurs which if the empire is not distracted as in OTL may lead to some interesting butterflies.

Although I suspect the choices offered are the ones you have written so I would be most interested in Naples followed by the Empire.

VVD0D95

Banned
Going a quick bit back from this timeline, It appears we have not heard much from Naples in a long time, which I find surprising although I may be getting confused with "A Britain of panters and lions" because both timelines occur in the same time period with very similar pods.

Another interesting one I am interested in is what is going on in Poland, Sweden or Brandenburg around this time? Since a quick search reveals this is the time when the Russian navy scores its first significant victory over the Swedish navy at Gangut.

Finally, to look in another direction 1714 is the year in which the Ottoman - Venetian war occurs which if the empire is not distracted as in OTL may lead to some interesting butterflies.

Although I suspect the choices offered are the ones you have written so I would be most interested in Naples followed by the Empire.

oj Naples has t been given a look in yet, so that’s an option. Andthe great northern war did end up getting butterflies due to Peter dying early and the sobieskis getting into Poland. So I think Sweden and Poland both could be interesting

Chapter 117: It Grows

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 117: It Grows

September, 1714

“Sire, there is good news from the treasury.” Giuseppe Spinelli, a member of the treasury said. “We have seen an increase of thirty percent in yields as a result of good harvests.”

“Good.” Philippe replied, he answered in the French of his homeland, and not the barbaric Neapolitan that his subjects spoke.

“What does this mean for the reforms that the King wishes to implement?” His wife Elisabeth asked.

“It means that there is much more money available for the grand projects, Your Majesty.” Spinelli said. “We now have finance available for the grand road building projects that Your Majesties wish to institute, alongside the finance needed for cleaning up the sewage systems also.”

“Good.” Philippe replied, he shifted slightly in the bed and felt Elisabeth’s hand on his leg, immediately he calmed, wondering if perhaps they would be able to produce another child today. “We want the reforms to continue at full speed now. Money should be moved towards those projects and nothing else.”

“Very good, Sire.” Spinelli replied. “I shall inform the treasury of that.”

Philippe nodded and then turned to look at his senior minister, Archbishop Pignatelli, a man who had served as Archbishop for a great many years and had been Philippe’s chief minister for as long as he had been King. “Your Eminence, you said that you had important information that needed to be shared?”

“I do, Sire.” Pignatelli said. “There has been a letter from Versailles. It seems that the King of France is looking to arrange a marriage between a member of the Royal dynasty and His Royal Highness the Duke of Calabria.”

Philippe leaned forward, he knew how important maintaining good ties with France was. His father may have died, but his brother Louis now sat the throne, and Louis was looking to completely change the way things were done. Philippe loved his older brother even if he didn’t always agree with his methods, and therefore if a marriage was being proposed he would seriously consider it. “Who is it that our brother of France is offering?”

“A choice between his daughter Maria Anna Victoria and a daughter of the Duke of Orleans, Sire.” Pignatelli.

“Why would the King of France offer both his own daughter and a daughter of Orleans?” Elisabeth asked then. “Surely it would be obvious to all involved that Madame Royal is the preferred option.”

Philippe nodded. “He must be doing it to placate Orleans. After all, the mess that his daughter caused for our brother Charles no doubt means that Orleans is trying to find some way of providing a good marriage for his remaining daughter.” That had been quite the scandal and Philippe had mourned for his brother when he had died, he had been settled with a harridan of a wife, who had made him a cuckhold many times over and even given him the illness that had killed him.

“I would not want our son married to a daughter of Orleans. They are all of a disagreeable temper.” Elisabeth said then.

“Do not worry, dear wife,” Philippe replied. “I would never consign our son to such a fate.” He looked at Pignatelli and told him. “Send word to the French ambassador, we will betroth our son to our niece the Madame Royal.”

Pignatelli bowed. “Sire.”

“Now unless there is anything else you are all dismissed.” Philippe said waving a hand. The ministers bowed and departed, leaving Philippe alone with his wife. He looked at her then and asked. “Are you going to move your hand higher or keep it on my leg?”

“Is that your wish, Sire?” His wife asked coyly.

“It is my command.” Philippe replied, he groaned as he felt her slide her hand right over him.

VVD0D95

Banned
Managing Royal affairs from the bedroom?

Well I guess that’s where they all start...

Aha, it was actually a thing for Philip otl, when he was King of Spain. He and Elisabeth never left their bed apparently, so government business was all conducted with ministers around the bedchamber.

Aha, it was actually a thing for Philip otl, when he was King of Spain. He and Elisabeth never left their bed apparently, so government business was all conducted with ministers around the bedchamber.

Any idea why they did that?

Seems... unsanitary.

Chapter 118: An Emperor's Chosen

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 118: An Emperor’s Chosen

December, 1714

“Gentlemen, thank you all for coming. We know that we summoned you here on short notice, but the reasoning behind this meeting is to solve a question that has caused us some concern over a period of time.” Azam Shah said. “We have finally reached a decision on who we wish to succeed us.”

Azam saw that that had the desired effect, immediately the members of his council including his sons Bidar and Jawan were alert. “This man has shown great skill and courage in dealing with the most treacherous of circumstances. He ably put down a rebellion led by our cousin two years ago, and he has also aided us in bringing great change to the Empire. He is a paragon of princely virtue and a man known to you all. We have chosen to name our eldest son Bidar as our successor.”

Bidar’s face was a blank mask as he took the congratulations from his brother and the other advisors. They both knew that this was a formality, the real test would come when Azam was dead, but for now Azam was confident his son would succeed. Eventually, Bidar looked at him and said. “Thank you, Your Imperial Majesty. I am most honoured.”

“Continue in your good works, Bidar, and you will with time surpass even Akbar as the finest Emperor we have ever had.” Azam said truthfully.

“To Prince Bidar and the Emperor!” Syed Abdullah Khan said then raising his cup in toast. The toast was repeated a great many times and there were many who sang and drank for some time, before eventually things settled down.

When normalcy had returned, Azam spoke once more. “We have looked through the reports you have written Jawan, and we find ourselves concerned by how easily the English and the Marathas are at loggerheads. Who is it that has the right of way in that sea channel?”

His second son, Jawan, who had a head for the legal game, spoke slowly and assuredly. “The English, Sire. They were granted the rights during the exchange of land between them and the Portuguese. As such they have the right to sole usage of the passageway between the Seven Islands and the mainland. The Marathas are merely claiming it as their own as they wish to have access to a stream independent to what we have given them.”

“We see.” Azam said. He despised the Marathas, they were nothing more than upjumped stewards who dared to think that they could rule. If they weren’t as powerful as they were, he’d have crushed them himself long ago. But unfortunately, they had power and kept the peace with the Rajputs, therefore he had to placate them. “Decide in Rajaram’s favour and send word that in exchange for this we want his grandson sent to Delhi to be raised alongside your own grandson.”

“Sire.” Jawan said making a note of it.

“Then there is the issue of the Portuguese and the French.” Azam said looking at Bidar then.

His eldest son and heir got right to the point. “The dispute there is little more than some technically dispute over political decisions that their Kings have made, Sire. The French are in the right and as they are providing a far more beneficial service to the army and navy I would recommend siding with them.”

Azam nodded. “Very well, then that is what we shall do. Is there anything else?”

When nobody else spoke, Azam rose, forcing the others to rise also. He nodded to each of them and then strode out of the chamber and towards the gardens. He knew he didn’t have much longer left, but he wanted to enjoy the things he loved one last time.

As someone who has suffered both there is an occasional cyclical connection of the two.
Sorry to hear about that. Wish you all the best.
Seems Phil suffered from depression, and was also a horny fucker, so, bed seemed the right place for him to be?
Would he still suffer from depression here? I'm no psychiatrist of course, but maybe the OTL situation had a role in his condition. ITTL the problem of the Spanish succession's been settled quickly enough and his grandfather died earlier (I can't help feeling it must've been difficult to be the Sun King's son/grandsons) and he didn't lose a first wife.
Hopefully, it might make his fits of depression less severe (?)

VVD0D95

Banned
Sorry to hear about that. Wish you all the best.

Would he still suffer from depression here? I'm no psychiatrist of course, but maybe the OTL situation had a role in his condition. ITTL the problem of the Spanish succession's been settled quickly enough and his grandfather died earlier (I can't help feeling it must've been difficult to be the Sun King's son/grandsons) and he didn't lose a first wife.

i think you might well be right, and with elisabeth beinf his wife from the get go perhaps he’s got more stability also?

Interesting, also sorry to hear about the depression man, hope you're doing okay
Not too bad. It's stress related so so long as keep watch for the signs and compensate I'm usually ok (watch in a proactive psychological way rather than reactive psychiatric way works best).
Maybe, it depends on the cause. Most of the stresses he has will be similar. I suspect he's happier TTL tho.

Great writing in this TL, I've really enjoyed binging on it. King James III is a proper dude - smart and strong.
Any thoughts on how Elisabeth Farnese marrying into the French side could affect Italy in general and particularly the north? OTL she pushed hard for her Spanish princes. Will there be a similar Bourbon expansion into Parma, Modena etc coming ITTL?

VVD0D95

Banned
Great writing in this TL, I've really enjoyed binging on it. King James III is a proper dude - smart and strong.
Any thoughts on how Elisabeth Farnese marrying into the French side could affect Italy in general and particularly the north? OTL she pushed hard for her Spanish princes. Will there be a similar Bourbon expansion into Parma, Modena etc coming ITTL?
Parma yes, Modena, there’s no claim there as of yet

What happened to Florence here?
Still under Cosimo I assume, whose son and heir, Gian Gastone's birth is pre-POD. However, Gian Gastone's OTL loveless marriage produced no kids and the end of the Medici line. That marriage is post-POD ITTL. Could be something to play with...

Chapter 119: Severed Hands

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 119: Severed Hands

March, 1715

“This isn’t what we agreed upon!” John Erskine, Earl of Mar snarled at the man sat in front of him. “We agreed that we would all raise our men and head out and fight should the government respond.” The man in front of him said nothing so, John had to continue. “Well, they’ve responded alright but nobody else raised their men. Indeed, Grant seems to have disappeared and I have no idea where Lovat is. And you? Pray tell Lord Munro what exactly where you doing?”

Robert Munro, Lord Foulis said nothing for a long time, something which only heightened John’s sense of frustration. When the man did eventually respond, his words were short and to the point. “I was here, ensuring that nothing would go so wrong that we could not recuperate.”

John threw his hands up into the air. “Recuperate?! How the Devil do you expect us to recuperate when the vast amount of my lands and men have been captured and taken into government hands?” When his wife had sent word telling him that she and their son had been captured and were being transported to London he had nearly fainted. It had all gone horribly wrong. So horribly wrong.

“All is not lost my lord of Mar.” Munro said.

“No?!” John snarled looking at the man. “Pray tell how? My men have sworn themselves over to the Duke of Perth, my wife and son are now prisoners of the Crown. How is all not lost?”

“The Duke of Melfort is dead. His brother will soon be following him into that early grave. Furthermore, Lord Lovat’s cousin is the new garrison commander of Stirling Castle. Lovat has sent men to negotiate with him. Stirling will fall to us and then we can dictate terms.” Munro said.

“You really think it will be that easy?” John asked suspiciously, something about this didn’t seem right, what it was he couldn’t quite tell, but the suspicion was there.

“That easy? Perhaps not as easy as that, but we are finding it far easier than we should. Your lands may have gone over to the Duke of Perth, but we have something far more potent.” Munro said.

“And what could be more potent than lands and men?” John demanded.

“Letters.” Munro said.

“Letters?” John asked curiously.

“Letters from the hand of the Dowager Duchess of Cumberland and from her lady in waiting the Countess of Marlborough.” Munro said.

“What do these letters say?” John demanded. He was not sure he trusted the Dowager Duchess, she was said to be fat and filled with brandy more often than not, kept excluded from court at Hampton Court with little to no influence. Even her son didn’t trust her.

“That she is appalled by the assault on our traditional freedoms and that she recognises the harm her brother has done. Furthermore, she gives confirmation to the rumours that did the rounds when her brother was born.” Munro said.

“Rumours?” John asked.

“That her brother was indeed smuggled into the birthing chamber of Queen Mary, and that the only reason she kept the lie was to prevent the realm breaking out into all out war. She says she regrets such a decision all these years later and wishes to right that wrong.” Robert said.

John wasn’t sure whether to laugh or to cry, the Dowager Duchess had just admitted to treason in her letter, but by doing so, she had given them a very thin pretext by which to go ahead and act. He looked at Munro then and asked. “What are we going to do with this information?”

“We’re going to use it sow discord and then we’re going to take back what is ours.” Munro said a mad glint in his eyes.