An Unexpected Prince

Oh just a tad, and indeed it was, though Irish Law was quite similar to English law due to Ponyings Law was it not?

And oh how so re the gerrymandering?
Ponyings Law didn't make Irish law identical to English law - it just ensured that the English King and Privy Council had a right of veto over any Irish law proposed.

Gerrymandering in the sense that Scotland is over represented compared to its population. Very roughly England and Wales 5 million, Ireland 2 million and Scotland 1 million in 1700. So if the size of the English Parliament is retained as before i.e. 513 seats then we would expect 200 or so Irish seats and 100 Scots. Mind you Wales should have had about a 10th of the English seats (around 45) and only had half that (27).

In 1801 IOTL Ireland had 100 seats to Scotland's 45

It depends who is calling the shots - if James is still pro-Scots and draws his support from the Scottish lords I can see the reason fro the over-representation. The under-representation of Ireland is also understandable (although I believe religious strife is reduced ITTL if not yet eliminated) . I would have expected something closer to 100 for Ireland and 50 for Scotland or even 50 and 50 to keep the English Parliament content.

VVD0D95

Banned
Ponyings Law didn't make Irish law identical to English law - it just ensured that the English King and Privy Council had a right of veto over any Irish law proposed.

Gerrymandering in the sense that Scotland is over represented compared to its population. Very roughly England and Wales 5 million, Ireland 2 million and Scotland 1 million in 1700. So if the size of the English Parliament is retained as before i.e. 513 seats then we would expect 200 or so Irish seats and 100 Scots. Mind you Wales should have had about a 10th of the English seats (around 45) and only had half that (27).

In 1801 IOTL Ireland had 100 seats to Scotland's 45

It depends who is calling the shots - if James is still pro-Scots and draws his support from the Scottish lords I can see the reason fro the over-representation. The under-representation of Ireland is also understandable (although I believe religious strife is reduced ITTL if not yet eliminated) . I would have expected something closer to 100 for Ireland and 50 for Scotland or even 50 and 50 to keep the English Parliament content.
This is very true, I’ll keep that in mind for the future :)

Well they where called Rotten boroughs for a reason.

The Great Reform Act (whenever it comes) is going to be a monumental task to clean up this constituency map to match populations, and Scotland is going to kick up on heck of a stink...

Chapter 114: Princess In Orange

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 114: Princess in Orange

December, 1713

Anne, Princess of Orange and wife to the Stadholder of the Dutch Republic looked at her aunt and felt pity. The woman had outlived her husband and was now confined to irrelevance. Prince William had lived just long enough to sign the treaty which ended the war with France before he had succumbed to his illness, that had been a few months ago, and in that Anne, had been completely overwhelmed with new responsibilities, such that she’d not had the chance to speak with her aunt. Well, now the woman was here in her chambers and she would speak with her.

“I know this must seem a foolish question, Aunt, but how are you doing? Truly how are you doing?” Anne asked.

Her aunt looked at her and smiled sadly. “I am as well as can be in such a position. I am simply happy that William is no longer suffering.”

Anne nodded, her uncle Prince William had been suffering from some sort of infection in his lungs, he should have died a year ago, but sheer strength of mind had kept him going. At least that’s what Anne thought. She was sure that there was some medical explanation for it. “And your needs are being met? You don’t want for anything, do you?” She asked.

Her aunt shook her head. “No, I am well looked after, thank you.”

“Good, that is good.” Anne said. She found herself struggling to come up with things to talk to her aunt about, which was odd. Usually they were quite close and would talk freely about anything, but that had been when she had been the junior member of the family, now as Princess of Orange she was the senior member, and her aunt had long been a stickler for the rules.

“You need not worry too much about me, Anne. I will be heading to Albion soon to meet with my sister and brother.” Her aunt said.

Anne raised an eyebrow. “Are you sure?”

Her aunt laughed. “Yes, I am very sure. I do not wish to be a burden on you and Johann. I know that my time here would only serve as a painful reminder of what was passed. It is time for the present to take over.”

Anne was both relieved and nervous. Relieved in that she was happy her aunt had decided to make the decision before she’d been pushed, and nervous in that it might well reflect badly on her for allowing her aunt to go. It was a confusing feeling, but she still answered in a positive manner. “Well, if you are sure then I will not stop you.”

Her aunt smiled in a manner that indicated that even if she had wanted to, Anne would not have been able to do that. “And what of you? How are you finding being Princess of Orange?”

Anne wanted to lie and say everything was fine, but the way her aunt was looking at her, made the words come tumbling out. “Some days it is a real struggle. Some days I do not know what I am doing and I feel awful.”

Her aunt took her hand. “That is normal. Sometimes I didn’t know my right from my left. It happens to us all.”

“But why do so many of the nobles want us to know things that are so strange that not even they know them? Like one day Lady Keppel asked me if I knew what happened on 3rd May 1270, and I had to think about that for a good moment before realising nothing had happened.” Anne said.

Mary laughed. “Some of the ladies are full of themselves. They wish to test your resolve, but they do not have the guts to actually ask pressing questions.”

“How long will that last for?” Anne asked.

“For as long as you let them ask such questions.” Her aunt said. “You must reply by asking them a suitably difficult question, only then will they stop and respect you.”

Anne considered that and then nodded. “I will remember that.”

Chapter 115: Bobbing John

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 115: Bobbing John

March, 1714

John Erskine, Earl of Mar rubbed at his chin, feeling the stubble there and grimacing. He hated having stubble, he always had. He wanted something a bit more loose and free, stubble was far too constrictive. But he knew if he grew a beard he’d look wrong, and if he shaved he’d look like a boy, so he kept the stubble. It was a minor inconvenience he supposed and it did enable him to feel more at ease with the men he was with. Simon Fraser Lord Lovat, Robert Munro Baron Foulis and Kenneth Grant Laird of Grant. All three were hard men, who had lived and fought in the Highlands, and no doubt they saw him as some common lowlander, a softie. He would prove them wrong.

He took a sip of his wine and then spoke. “We all know why we’re here. What has happened since the Act of Betrayal was passed has ensured that all of our standards of living and our freedoms have been reduced. The King has done what he can to limit the damage but his councillors particularly Perth and Melfort are most greedy and pernicious. We must have a redress of grievances.”

“Here, here!” Simon Fraser said.

“Perhaps it would be best if we addressed what our grievances are then?” Munro asked.

“The restoration of Scots Law in Scotland,” John said. “we cannot abide by sharing the same laws with the English and the Irish, our customs have been developed over a thousand years since the days of Kenneth MacAlpin, you cannot just remove that in a blink of an eye. We must have our feudal rights protected, and we wish for our Parliament to be returned.”

“Do not forget that the Act of Betrayal removed our right to tacksmen. It has removed the very thing that we need to keep afloat.” Kenneth Grant said. “We cannot abide by that.”

John kept his thoughts on the primitiveness of that measure to himself and made a note of it. “Indeed.”

“Truly, the King must be made to see the sense of what we are suggesting. We are not trying to suggest that he is in the wrong, merely that his advisors are wrong.” Munro said.

“Agreed,” Simon Fraser said. “His Majesty did what he thought was right based on the advice that his advisors gave him. That that advice was wrong well, His Majesty could not have known that because of how secluded he was from other voices.”

“So, we must petition for the removal of Perth and Melfort.” John said. The fact that at their advanced ages both Perth and Melfort had managed to become important ministers in the King’s council baffled John. It angered him as well, especially when he remembered how he had convinced the Duke of Hamilton to agree to the Union, in return for the Earl of Aberdeen promising him an office of State when the Union went through.

“Petition for their removal and achieve what? The King will just replace them with two new men who are just as useless as them. No, what we need to do is show the King that we are willing to back up our words with actions.” Kenneth Grant said.

John shifted slightly, he was not very comfortable with where this was going, but he knew he had started this whole thing, and so he asked. “And what would you suggest?”

Grant grinned then. “There is a regiment under the command of Louis Drummond, Marquess of Forth heading to garrison Stirling Castle. The young man has a claim of misadventure hanging over him, especially as regards Lord Macleod’s daughter. We push for Macleod to push for that, gather our own men together and attack the regiment, dressed as bandits, capture Drummond and demand that in return for our demands being met we will release Drummond.”

John looked at Grant and said. “You are not a thinker are you, Lord Grant? Capture Drummond and then issuing our demands will ensure the King refuses. No, what we must do is send Macleod after Forth and ensure that they fight one another. We can then come in with our men, hit Macleod hard and then use the King’s gratitude to get what we want.”

Grant didn’t look convinced, but Munro did. The man asked. “Do you think that will work? Truly?”

John nodded. “I think so. I think we must give it a try and we all know Lord Macleod is not a quick thinker. He will use the information we give him to his own ends, and create a mess for himself.”

Lord Lovat spoke then. “I agree with Lord Mar. I have someone within Macleod’s household who can make the tip, let Macleod decide to take action and when he inevitably messes up, we will be there to clean it up.”

“Very well.” Grant said, though he didn’t look pleased.

“I will have my secretary write the letter that will be sent before we make this incursion.” John said, still feeling slightly uneasy about all of this but knowing it was necessary.

This little rebellion is going to get squished so hard.

Has the captial moved from London BTW? Might have thought somewhere more Central might be considered?

London is still the best connected city at this time. By the late 1700s as the colonies grow and industry rises, then somewhere in the Merseyside area would work if the political will to move is there.

Chapter 116: Perth's Revenge

VVD0D95

Banned
Chapter 116: Perth’s Revenge

June, 1714

“King Louis showed more sense than his father and agreed to the new Treaty, Sire. Therefore, I can happily confirm that Quebec is now ours.” The Earl of Derwentwater said.

James Drummond, 1st Duke of Perth nodded along with the other ministers, noting the King’s joy at receiving this new and he couldn’t help but feel a tinge of annoyance. There were more important matters within the Kingdom that needed to be addressed. It was always going to be a formality that the French King would agree to cede Quebec, he didn’t have the military might to not do so. Not in the colonies anyway.

Still, the King seemed well pleased with that news, and James had to admit if the King was pleased, then everyone would be pleased. “That is fantastic news, we have your hard work to thank for that James, you will be remembered for such.” The King said to Derwentwater.

“Thank you, Your Majesty.” The man replied.

The King then looked at him and said. “You said you had news regarding the incident near Stirling, Lord Perth?”

James nodded. “I do, Your Majesty. After doing a lot of searching and using my contacts in the region, I’ve discovered that there were six men who were identified as leaders of the group that attacked my nephew the Marquess of Forth and his regiment. These six men are also responsible for his disappearance.”

“And who are these men?” The King asked leaning forward intently.

“Minor clansmen from Clan Erskine, but their leader is the Earl of Mar, Sire.” James said. “The soldiers who survived the attack and were able to see the leaders’ faces close up confirmed when looking at a portrait of the man, that Mar had led the bandits.”

“Why would Mar risk so much?” Was the question that Derwentwater asked. “He has a lot of privileges being Lieutenant of Mar and Moray. Why would he risk that?”

“Several reasons.” James said, glancing briefly at Derwentwater and then at the King. “From what my sources have gathered, Mar thought that because he played a role in getting the Duke of Hamilton to agree to the Act of Union, he would get a position in the Council of State. That he did not has left him feeling bitter. Secondly, the fact that he has not been given a prominent position in the army has left him feeling as though he is not appreciated, despite his supposed efforts in keeping the men of Mar pacified.” James smiled when the King snorted, it was well known the men of Mar had been pacified long ago and that Mar had bungled more than he had helped with that. “Finally, it seems that he might have genuinely been concerned by the changing of the legal code within Scotland. Though that seems to be a lesser concern.”

“And he managed to get most of his Clan to support him in this endeavour?” The King asked sounding surprised.

“Some of them yes, Your Majesty. The members of Clan Erskine have a deep loyalty to their Clan Chief and as such are willing to do much of what he asks, but the assault on the Marquess of Forth has caused a great deal of concern for many of them.” James said, at the King’s raised eyebrow, he continued. “My aunt was married to an Erskine; I have family ties within the Clan and not every one of them are willing to go ahead with an assault on a King’s man.”

“Can Mar be attainted for this blatant disregard for the law?” the Duke of Cumberland asked.

“Only if there is sufficient proof that he ordered the attack on Forth’s regiment. That would need to take the form of statements which could be submitted to the Lords, Your Majesty.” Simon Harcourt, Lord Chancellor said.

The King looked at James then and said. “You know what you need to do then, Lord Perth.”

James nodded. “I do, Sire. And I will not let you down.”

“Good.” The King said. “Now it has been a long meeting, we are sure you are all tired, you are dismissed.”

James rose with the others, bowed his head and then departed, and as he left, he could feel a grin appear on his face. He was going to destroy Mar, and if he was lucky, use his son’s marriage to the man’s sister to claim the Earldom of Mar and increase his influence there.

The reason is that the lesser french threat along with poor decision making in London were major factors in the American Revolution. Also between Ireland and Quebec they have a large number Catholics as well.

VVD0D95

Banned
The reason is that the lesser french threat along with poor decision making in London were major factors in the American Revolution. Also between Ireland and Quebec they have a large number Catholics as well.

Indeed they do, though at the moment governance and taxation seems to have been handled well, so I can't imagine the colonials being too upset right now. Quebec might be another matter though