An alternate history of animated films

What Dr. Seuss story should Warner Brothers make a film of first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Decided to switch around The Hobbit and Babes in Toyland's respective release years on the schedule, since I feel like MGM might need a bit of time to work on a project that ambitious.

Disney releases Chanticleer, a project that had been in development since the forties. The film is slightly different from Disney's previous films, being more zany and slapsticky, complete with references to current pop culture. This film is also different from the usual Disney property for having no original songs. Instead, its soundtrack consists of pre-existing songs dating back to the twenties and thirties. This attempt is modestly successful at the box office, but gets mixed reception from critics, with some praising the attempt at trying something new and different, and others criticizing the film for being a one-note attempt at parroting the Warner Brothers formula. Disney decides to announce their most ambitious project since Fantasia: Babes in Toyland, set for a 1958 release, which they promise will be a return to form.

Warner Brothers releases Horton Hears a Who!, which gets great critical reception due to its message of tolerating others, even if their voices seem small. The story was the brainchild of Warner Brothers writer and storyboard artist Dr. Seuss, who had come to regret the racist anti-Japanese propaganda he had drawn during the war, and had dedicated the story to a Japanese friend of his, Mitsugi Nakamura. Warner Brothers announces its next film: How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, set for 1957.

Grinch isn't the only Christmas animated film audiences should look out for. There's also Walter Lantz's adaptation of the popular story and song Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, set for release in 1956, shortly after MGM's adaptation of Charlotte's Web, directed by Bill Hanna and Joseph Barbera, and produced by MGM newcomer Gene Deitch.

----

In case you guys are wondering, since Seuss is working directly at Warner Brothers, a lot of the stories we know as books IOTL aren't published as books first. He comes up with the idea, writes the text and draws some pictures, pitches it to Chuck Jones, and Jones and his crew come up with the rest of the story. Maybe Warner Brothers could publish some tie-in books like most animated film studios do nowadays, but they're mostly movies first.

In case you guys are wondering, since Seuss is working directly at Warner Brothers, a lot of the stories we know as books IOTL aren't published as books first. He comes up with the idea, writes the text and draws some pictures, pitches it to Chuck Jones, and Jones and his crew come up with the rest of the story. Maybe Warner Brothers could publish some tie-in books like most animated film studios do nowadays, but they're mostly movies first.

An interesting and logical change.

MGM's Charlotte's Web will be a more faithful adaptation than OTL's version. There won't be any of the "jolly songs" E.B. White complained about, and there won't be any new gosling character. I wonder if E.B. White will like this version more than he did IOTL.

Here's the voice cast I'm picturing:

Wilbur: Mickey Rooney
Charlotte: Eartha Kitt
John Arable: Daws Butler
Fern Arable: Patty Duke
Templeton: Jimmy Durante
Avery Arable: Don Messick
Homer Zuckerman: Mel Blanc
Edith Zuckerman: Bea Benaderet
Lurvy: Daws Butler
Lamb: June Foray
Goose: Verna Felton
Ram: Pinto Colvig
Henry Fussy: Dick Beals
Dr. Dorian: Jim Backus
Uncle: Pinto Colvig
Charlotte's children: June Foray

Walter Lantz's Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer's plot will be a combination of three stories from OTL: Dumbo (since that film has been butterflied away), the 1964 Rankin-Bass special, and the 1998 Goodtimes film. Haven't completely figured out the whole story and characters. I'm debating whether Rudolph should be voiced by a woman (like in most adaptations from OTL), an actual kid actor, or even a man who never went through puberty (like Dick Beals or Walter Tetley).

Has The Hobbit entered the production phase? And more to the point, what will Tolkien think of it? (There probably won't be a Tauriel in this.)

It'll start production shortly after Charlotte's Web is released. Not entirely sure what Tolkien will think of it.

Will this butterfly away Ralph Bakshi's Lord of the Rings from OTL?

Yes, and the Rankin-Bass adaptations too, and even the Peter Jackson trilogy if the film becomes popular enough. (Spoiler alert: Bill and Joe plan on adapting The Lord of the Rings as well if The Hobbit is successful.)

Yes, and the Rankin-Bass adaptations too, and even the Peter Jackson trilogy if the film becomes popular enough. (Spoiler alert: Bill and Joe plan on adapting The Lord of the Rings as well if The Hobbit is successful.)
What if they bring in Christopher Lee to voice one of the characters?

Lee was still pretty young at the time, and mainly working more in England than in the states, so...maybe?

Here's a few things I've figured out about Walter Lantz's Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer. It'll essentially be the Rankin-Bass version from OTL, but it will have differences as well.

I feel like someone at Lantz's studio would want to add a friend for Rudolph to parallel his plight, so Hermey the elf will be in it, as will his goal of wanting to be a dentist. (Hopefully we'll also get the memetic "WHY WEREN'T YOU AT ELF PRACTICE?!" line from the boss elf.) I picture Hermey with a somewhat sarcastic personality, similar to Timothy Q. Mouse from OTL's Dumbo.

Clarice will also be there, because I can see them wanting to add an obligatory love interest to the story.

Not sure if Yukon Cornelius will be in this version, because you can cut him out without affecting the story too much. But I may add the Bumble, and have it that he had a toothache that Hermey cured. (A lot of people falsely remember that happening in OTL's Rankin-Bass version, but in reality, he actually tore the Bumble's teeth out, which I find kind of mean-spirited.)

I may also add the Island of Misfit Toys, because that fits the main storyline of being a misfit pretty well.

There probably won't be a Burl Ives snowman narrator. I heard he was added pretty late IOTL, and the original draft had a delivery stork delivering Rudolph instead. Since Dumbo has been butterflied away, maybe I can have the stork from that film appear here, complete with Sterling Holloway voicing him. And maybe he can also narrate (like in the Disney short Lambert the Sheepish Lion from OTL), and then it could end with him visiting a grown Rudolph and Clarice to deliver them their new fawn...who also has a glowing red nose!

Here is the voice cast I picture:

Rudolph (young): Walter Tetley or Dick Beals
Clarice (young): Hayley Mills (maybe she'll start acting earlier ITTL)
Rudolph (adult): William Shatner
Clarice (adult): Angela Lansbury
Hermey: Arnold Stang
Mr. Stork: Sterling Holloway
Santa Claus: J. Pat O'Malley
Mrs. Claus: Verna Felton
Abominable Snow Monster: Candy Candido
Head elf: Mel Blanc
Rudolph's father: Daws Butler
Rudolph's Mother: Grace Shafford
Reindeer coach: Hans Conried
King Moonracer: Thurl Ravenscroft

MGM releases Charlotte's Web, a film that is greatly received by audiences and critics alike. Even the author E.B. White feels the book was captured decently. Bill Hanna, Joseph Barbera, and Gene Deitch then announce their next feature: an adaptation of J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, set for release in 1959.

Walter Lantz releases his film of the Robert May short story (along with the popular song) Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, which is also a box office success and gets glowing (no pun intended) reviews. Lantz decides to take a short break from features, announcing that, with Tex Avery joining his studio, they'll be experimenting with television cartoons shortly.

----

In all seriousness, the reason Lantz is taking a break from films is simply because I don't have any other ideas for films he could do. If anyone has any suggestions, that would be nice.

Last edited:
Next up is Fleischer's Raggedy Ann and Andy movie, and Warner Brother's How the Grinch Stole Christmas!.

Raggedy Ann will be adapted from the Camel With the Wrinkled Knees story, like the version directed by Richard Williams OTL. However, it probably won't be as bizarre, and will have an actual focused story.

Grinch will have Boris Karloff voicing the titular character, like IOTL. Maybe he'll narrate as well, though I found this narration by Zero Mostel from OTL, so maybe Mostel can narrate instead. And yes, the famous song will be there, sung by Thurl Ravencroft like IOTL. Once again, June Foray will voice Cindy Lou Who, and Mel Blanc will reprise his role as the Mayor of Whoville from Horton Hears a Who!.

Also, both MGM and Universal will be going into television animation.

Fleischer's Raggedy Ann and Andy is released. The film is successful, making Fleischer decide to take a break from DC (outside of the Superman TV show) and focus primarily on their other properties like Betty Boop, Popeye, Casper, and Little Audrey.

Warner Brothers releases How the Grinch Stole Christmas!, which gets good critical success and is a big box office hit. Both critics and audiences praise Boris Karloff's voice performance as the titular character, along with the song "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" performed by Thurl Ravenscroft. Warner Brothers then announces their next film to be written by Dr. Seuss: a compilation film titled The Sneetches and Other Stories.

This is also a big year for television animation. Universal releases The New Woody Woodpecker show, with Walter Lantz and Tex Avery as the main showrunners. MGM also releases The Ruff and Reddy Show, the first in an upcoming long line of series produced by Bill Hanna and Joseph Barbera.

----

Hanna-Barbera's television output is essentially going to be the same as IOTL, so I won't talk about it much from then on unless I really need to.

Next up is Disney's Babes in Toyland, which will be an animated film, but will have the same cast as the live-action version IOTL.

This film will fill the same role that Sleeping Beauty did IOTL, being this really big experimental project done in a different style, but will probably be a flop due to how expensive it is.

Next up is Disney's Babes in Toyland, which will be an animated film, but will have the same cast as the live-action version IOTL.

This film will fill the same role that Sleeping Beauty did IOTL, being this really big experimental project done in a different style, but will probably be a flop due to how expensive it is.
Will we see a Disney version of the OZ books? In OTL, Disney considered it as sequel for Babes in Toyland with the Musketeers but the failure of Babes in Toyland stopped the project.