An alternate history of animated films

What Dr. Seuss story should Warner Brothers make a film of first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Where did you get that idea? Fox merged with 20th Century all the way back in the thirties, and TTL diverged in 1940.

Never mind then. I know nothing. :p Also, I love the idea of a ''Life in Hell'' Series. It'd give King of the Hill the chance to become the Iconic Sitcom animation everyone knows about.

Here's a little rule of mine I have about butterflying deaths: if the death is something that could've been easily avoided (like a suicide, murder, or accident), then it's easier to butterfly. (Hence me butterflying Fred Moore and Paul Frees' deaths; I also plan on butterflying the deaths of Phil Hartman and Joe Ranft.)

However, if their death is the result of health problems they've been having for years, then it will be somewhat more difficult to butterfly, since I'm going to have to have their life diverge from OTL really early on. (Example: Walt Disney and Hans Conried.)

Had another idea for something MGM could do in the eighties.

MV5BNGIxYjc1MmEtZTBiNS00OGY2LWFiOTUtY2VmOTE3OWM5NmYxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDUyOTUyNQ@@._V1_UY1200_CR81,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

I know they helped distribute Rock & Rule IOTL, but I was thinking that ITTL they could help team up with Nelvana to produce it.

I know the focus is on theatrical animation but now that we are getting into the 1980s, how about television animation? This was the decade of the merchandise driven cartoons on Saturday morning and syndication like He-Man & The Masters of the Universe, GI Joe, Transformers, Care Bears, etc. Is this TL the same for television?

A number of those got theatrical films too like GI: The Movie, Transformers: The Movie, the Care Bears Movie, Rainbow Brite & the Star Stealer, etc. Do we get those too?

I know that some of the Filmation stuff will be done by Fleischer ITTL (hopefully meaning higher production values), and the Nelvana stuff like Care Bears will probably still be made. The Hasbro stuff like Transformers, GI Joe, and My Little Pony will probably be similar to IOTL.

I can see the theatrical films of these shows being what inspires Disney to do theatrical films of Uncle Scrooge and Winnie the Pooh. Speaking of Disney, could you see them doing toy-driven shows as well? I can certainly see their current franchises like Pooh, Scrooge, and Kimba becoming more toyetic.

Another live-action film in this decade I think I'll have be animated is The Adventures of Milo and Otis, presumably by either Toei, TMS, or even Studio Ghibli.

Hopefully, that'll prevent any animal abuse behind the scenes.

Another live-action film in this decade I think I'll have be animated is The Adventures of Milo and Otis, presumably by either Toei, TMS, or even Studio Ghibli.

Hopefully, that'll prevent any animal abuse behind the scenes.
I think either TMS, or Studio Ghibli would make the most sense. sense Toho was the distributor. Although i could see Mustugoro join any of those three.

I think either TMS, or Studio Ghibli would make the most sense. sense Toho was the distributor. Although i could see Mustugoro join any of those three.
Actually now that i think about it, I think either Toei or TMS would make the most sense. sense Studio Ghibli was just a newcomer At the time.

I also have another idea for a film MGM could do this decade.

512lLS%2B13bL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I loved the Hank the Cowdog books when I was a kid, but they seem to have fallen into obscurity recently.

In fact...maybe I should remove Heidi's Song from the list completely, have Rock & Rule take its place, and have the last two MGM films of the decade be HtC and a film starring classic HB characters. (Maybe the Jetsons movie could still be made ITTL?)

Alright, I made two changes to the list.

Firstly, I scrapped Heidi's Song completely, and put Rock & Rule in its place.

Secondly, I decided to move The Brave Little Toaster up to 1990, and replaced it with MGM's Hank the Cowdog.

This is the year of mature animated films.

Fleischer releases Wizards, a fantasy film directed by Ralph Bakshi in his first foray into "family" animation. Despite this, the film is much more mature than the usual family film, with violence, nudity, and themes of fascism and propaganda. The film is still a big success at the box office in spite of complaints from parents.

Looking for his next film idea, Bakshi remembers the brilliant films written by Dr. Seuss at Warner Brothers during the fifties. Since he left WB, Seuss has primarily taken up writing and illustrating children's books. However, two books written by Seuss catch Bakshi's eye: The Lorax and The Butter Battle Book. He is impressed by the darker and more mature themes these books have, with the former being about environmentalism and the latter being about the nonsense of war. Bakshi decides to call up Seuss and tell him about his potential new ideas for family pictures.

Meanwhile, MGM releases The Plague Dogs, adapted from the Richard Adams novel of the same name. The film is even darker than MGM's previous Adams adaptation Watership Down, with even more violence and death. The film differs from the novel in having a happy ending, which Adams thankfully approved of after complaints from test audiences of the original ending (the titular dogs drowning while trying to reach an island) being too depressing.

The next two films are Warner Brothers' Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland and Universal's The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles.

The former film probably won't be too different from OTL's version, outside of a different voice cast, a different animation style, and (hopefully) a more coherent plot.

The latter film is an adaptation of a book I read in school, but half of you guys have probably never heard of. It was written by Julie Andrews (yes, that Julie Andrews), and you can read about the plot here on Wikipedia.

Here's the voice cast I'm picturing. (The Potter children will be played by whichever British child actors were available at the time.)

Narrator: Julie Andrews
Professor Savant: Jon Pertwee
Mr. Potter: Derek Jacobi
Mrs. Potter: Julie Andrews
Mrs. Primrose: Angela Lansbury
Oily Prock: Roddy McDowall
Whiffle Bird: BJ Ward
High-Behind Splintercat: Jonathan Winters
Tree Squeaks: Don Messick
Oinck: Henry Gibson
Swamp Gaboons: Thurl Ravenscroft, Candy Candido, Scatman Crothers, Lewis Morford
Whangdoodle: Burl Ives
Clarity: Grace Stafford

Here's another thing I was just thinking about.

I feel a big part of the reason 3D animated films killed off 2D films in the west IOTL is because of the mindset that 2D films are purely kids stuff and 3D films can be enjoyed by adults as well as children. (A mindset Disney certainly helped enforce.)

But ITTL, Disney isn't the only studio making successful animated features, there isn't as much of an animation age ghetto, and adult animation is more mainstream. Does this mean there's less of a chance of hand-drawn films being killed off by CG films?

Here's another thing I was just thinking about.

I feel a big part of the reason 3D animated films killed off 2D films in the west IOTL is because of the mindset that 2D films are purely kids stuff and 3D films can be enjoyed by adults as well as children. (A mindset Disney certainly helped enforce.)

But ITTL, Disney isn't the only studio making successful animated features, there isn't as much of an animation age ghetto, and adult animation is more mainstream. Does this mean there's less of a chance of hand-drawn films being killed off by CG films?

Honestly, 3D is better for somethings, and 2D is better for others. They both have their place

I think I'll give everyone a little tease for my future plans for Fox Animation.

Come the nineties, and it'll be upgraded into releasing a film annually instead of just every few years. To accomplish this, it'll be divided into two departments: one department will be run by Don Bluth, and the other will be run by John Musker and Ron Clements.

I think I'll give everyone a little tease for my future plans for Fox Animation.

Come the nineties, and it'll be upgraded into releasing a film annually instead of just every few years. To accomplish this, it'll be divided into two departments: one department will be run by Don Bluth, and the other will be run by John Musker and Ron Clements.

If I may ask, can the future of Don Bluth's films feature a movie abot Alexei and not Anastasia? A film about him surviving, personally, would be infinitely better and more interesting than the film we got

If I may ask, can the future of Don Bluth's films feature a movie abot Alexei and not Anastasia? A film about him surviving, personally, would be infinitely better and more interesting than the film we got
I don't know. I don't even know if we'll get a film related to Russian history like Anastasia, since that movie was Fox's idea and not Bluth's.

I've been wondering if the Sherman Brothers will do the songs for Little Nemo like IOTL, or if they should work on Whangdoodles instead.