An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Oh can’t wait for this battle!
Sallying Forth from the city, armies surrounding the HRE, cannons roaring from the walls, a witchy cannon ball taking out Blurcher’s head...
Can’t Wait!

....And than bubonic plague struck the defenders of Thessaloniki while Cholera crippled the relief army....

But in all seriousness by this point I think it’s going to be a bloodbath. There are probably upwards of 50 000 defenders in the city and the army is likely 75 000 men strong all facing an army that is malnourished, poorly supplied, and likely no more than 45000 effective soldiers.

Looking forward to the big debuts of the Mad Lyrist and seeing if Odysseus is as effective at a set piece battle as he is in raids and skirmishing.

What is going on with Allied command? Surely they’d by nervous encamping outside one of the largest cities on the continent with a bruised but unbroken enemy army as big as their own lurking nearby?

Or was Theodor gambling on cracking Thessaloniki before the reorganised Roman army shows up?

I’d imagine when the Roman Army comes bearing down on the Allies Blucher will look like show Stannis in GOT when the Bolton army comes out of nowhere. Grim resolve, then death.

Then the roman army arrives
Coming down the mountainside

This is near the aegean right? Does that means the roman are fielding a 100000+ army? One thing for sure though, unless something magical happens, its over for the Germans.

It's always the small cuts that bleed you out before you realize.

Wallenstein, that would be a coup to have him switch fully. How many Bohemians, or even Germans loyal to Wallenstein would take a contract to kill Triunes in Rhomania-in-the-East, when they find themselves without "The Old Man", their Emperor, a relief army marching behind them, and then having to choose between "Bone-Breaker" and Casimir? Once the vinegar get into the milk, all you can do is make cheese.

Who would be bold enough to wear their Xenophon hat?

Last edited:
The Allies didn't expect this at all. By conventional knowledge, a state that conscripts as many men as the Romans just clearly did should be imploding. I can't wait for the Emperor's Eyes to start catching Latin spies after this report goes west.

....And than bubonic plague struck the defenders of Thessaloniki while Cholera crippled the relief army....

But in all seriousness by this point I think it’s going to be a bloodbath. There are probably upwards of 50 000 defenders in the city and the army is likely 75 000 men strong all facing an army that is malnourished, poorly supplied, and likely no more than 45000 effective soldiers.

Looking forward to the big debuts of the Mad Lyrist and seeing if Odysseus is as effective at a set piece battle as he is in raids and skirmishing.

We haven't heard yet what happened for the past campaign season to the Ottoman front. And it's September. If that one got wrapped up... Either way more than enough time to either ship or march the army of Georgia west for example.

Good to see that Thessaloniki is holding. The meatball negotiation scene was also very nice.

This is near the aegean right? Does that means the roman are fielding a 100000+ army? One thing for sure though, unless something magical happens, its over for the Germans.
Then the roman army arrived
Coming down they turned the tide

Definitely looks like at least some of the Georgian army + whatever foreign reinforcements have arrived. Barring some sort of miracle I don't see the Allies winning this siege.

The question now is what happens next? Does the entire army get destroyed at Thessaloniki? Or will the remnants flee north? I can't imagine them going back through to Skopje, reliving the horrors of the 12 days, where can they go?

Definitely looks like at least some of the Georgian army + whatever foreign reinforcements have arrived. Barring some sort of miracle I don't see the Allies winning this siege.

The question now is what happens next? Does the entire army get destroyed at Thessaloniki? Or will the remnants flee north? I can't imagine them going back through to Skopje, reliving the horrors of the 12 days, where can they go?

Assuming defeat? The only path of retreat is north to Scopje and from there up to Belgrade. Of course this would involve certain... uhm logistical issues with the Greeks close behind, the path already looted of food and fodder and the countryside probably rising up. And there is also that little matter of the army still besieging Vidin, since the start of the year that can get in front of the retreat, Vidin can't be holding out forever...

Is Iason Tornikes EU4 name? I think I've had him as a general in one of my games...

Regarding the update, the scene at the end reminded me of Roman fleet coming to Valencia (I think Valencia?) a long, long time ago :)

Athena is my new favourite character. period.

Time to wrap up the balkan front (I almost wrote european, but there is the stuff in the Alps, so... let's get the popcorn)

Vince

Monthly Donor

You've got 50k survivors of the Army after Skopje, 14k men from Pronsk coming, new soldiers being drilled in Constantinople and possibly the 30k troops returning from Georgia.

Yeah, best case you could have 100k slamming into the Germans.

Best outcome for the Romans: Blucher dies, Theodor is rendered invalid ("loses his mind" per D3's curse) and a reverse 12 days with the Allied Army over scorched territory while it's internal feuds tear it apart.

What is going on with Allied command? Surely they’d by nervous encamping outside one of the largest cities on the continent with a bruised but unbroken enemy army as big as their own lurking nearby?

Or was Theodor gambling on cracking Thessaloniki before the reorganised Roman army shows up?

I’d imagine when the Roman Army comes bearing down on the Allies Blucher will look like show Stannis in GOT when the Bolton army comes out of nowhere. Grim resolve, then death.
My thoughts as well. There's not going to be a siege, Your Grace.

I really loved the negotiation/lunch scene. And the Roman (and Pronski) reinforcements have arrived and to top it, the internal dispute in the Allies' camp is exploited by the Romans, Διαίρει και Βασίλευε (divide et impera). Oh Theodor, you will be really FUBAR.
I hope Blucher has a honorable death and Casimir..., well, a not so honorable death. Maybe killed by a cannonball from Witches' Tower?
Happy Greek Independence Day to all!

Last edited: