Driftless

Donor
Great scene! The last segment of the story made me think of the scene near the end of the "Guns of Navaronne" Ok, it's roughly a thousand years later on and still fictional, but the sentiment applies

That was well written and a fun way to jump into the shoes of a new protagonist. I take it you'll be showing us what life and death in war is like after this jump in the timeline?

That was well written and a fun way to jump into the shoes of a new protagonist. I take it you'll be showing us what life and death in war is like after this jump in the timeline?
Yup, as well as different weapons and armor from tribes besides the Wampanoag after the introduction of metallurgy.

SwampTiger

Banned
Love the thread. I wish to add a few points. One, Native American bows were every bit as good as anything the Europeans, Norse and Welsh included, could make. The natives could have developed a very heavy weight longbow if they had a need.

Two, bronze is at least as good, if not better than early Medieval iron. It has an edge sharpened by hammering, not grinding/filing. It weighs about 10-11% more by volume. Iron will dull quicker and is more prone to cracking and bending. The rise of iron was due to the collapse of tin trade routes due to events which resulted from the Bronze Age collapse. Iron is rather ubiquitous across the world. Thus once man started using pottery firing techniques to heat iron ore, the cheap, abundant iron quickly replaced bronze. However, bronze continued in use for some armor and helmets into the Roman era.

Three, the Eastern Agricultural Complex provided very nutritious foods which could be adopted into the Norse gardens. Some of these plants were rather noxious, resulting in abandonment upon the arrival of maize. The planting methods were different, mounds versus rows. The Norse plow, still a light weight version, will allow faster treatment of fields before planting. If the Norse can bring some of the European grain and and vegetable crops, combined with the herd animals, the nutritional value of a years harvest will skyrocket. Should the Norse reconnect with Iceland/Ireland/Norway, horses and improved technology will flow back to Vinland. Thus, a good reason to keep contact.

Chapter 23
1300: The woods on the march to Mohican lands.

Gunnar was panting, the heat was even more miserable with another thirty pounds of weight from his mail blouse and the ten pounds from his shield. Shields in the Sachem's Grand Army were no longer the round disks of the ancient Norse. Instead, around 1170 or so, the shield was replaced with a rectangle for group combat. Which made sense to Gunnar, even if he had no idea how he was supposed to fight in a group. Back in Nyhofn, he had been the best in the ring, beating the other young lads as citizens watched. But this was not home. This was the army. And if Gunnar didn't keep up with it and march in proper formation, Ivar would have his ass.

The large man had taken him under his wing, treating him like kin when around the fire at night, singing with him and the others in the smaller war party in the larger army. During the day, he was constantly barking at Gunnar, driving him on with the threat of no food, no blanket, and no sleep, as well as using extra drills to hammer home his points. Can't walk in formation? Carry two more men's weapons and shields. Lagging behind? Run up to the front and then back to your spot before Ivar finished his jerky. They were harsh, but effective tools. Today, Gunnar was lock in step with his war party, the twins Tatoson and Wamsutta, Olaf, Agnar, Becan, Ivar, and others Gunnar was not yet familier with. He liked them. He could joke and make friendly jabs at them. The company of his party made the hot sun bearable. It was a shame there were no women though. Gunnar missed that. On the other hand, no angry ax wielding fathers chasing him was a serious plus. The army marched past several small villages during the journey. As Gunnar went past one, he spied a rather cute skraeling of what looked to be close to twenty five or so winters if he was guessing. Beautiful copper skin, charcoal black hair, a nice set of hips. He smiled and waved. She waved back.
"Hey Agnar, what's the name of this hamlet? I might want to come back here."
"Its called Keep-it-in-your-trousers-borg, that's what," snapped Ivar before Agnar could even respond to Gunnar, resulting in a hearty laugh from the others. "Boy, that kind of skirt chasing is what landed you in this mess. You have to focus on what's ahead, or you will not survive. The Kanien'keha:ka do not fuck around." Gunnar lowered his head in shame, and perhaps in humble acceptance. Despite all that he had learned, all the drilling and training, he wasn't that old or experienced. For God's sake, he'd had never killed anything aside from fish and waterfowl. Ivar looked back and sighed.
"Do ya have any family back home boy?"
"My mother, father, and my younger sister all live back home in Nyhofn."
"Then for the sake of Saint Snorri, pay attention and stay alive. I'm sure they're worried, and I'd rather not have to send them a scroll of deer hide with your name on it."

Owls hooted in the night, swooping down to snatch up unwary prey. The hundreds of fires stood bright in the dark forest like defiant beacons, illuminating small patches so the men could eat, drink, and speak with one another. Gunnar listened to Becan tell an obviously exaggerated fishing story as he greedily scooped venison into his mouth. Ivar, sitting next to him, grunted, signaling he had something to say. Gunnar looked at him. Ivar hesitated. He eyes glanced over Gunnar's cheek bones and black hair with small strands of red, as well as Gunnar's skin.
"You're blanda*, aren't you?" Gunnar hummed, not sure where the conversation was going.
"Yeah, my mother is Patuxet, my father is Norse. Why does it matter?" Ivar sighed and asked him what he knew about the Kanien'keha:ka.
"Nothing much, I just know they live off in the west. What does this have to do with me?"
"The Kanien'keha:ka don't like outsiders. They don't like missionaries, and they don't particularly like people like me. But you, they really don't like people like you. I just thought you should know."
"Why do they hate people like me?" Ivar hummed, trying to find an answer.
"They don't like Norse, and they feel that those who married them are ... Hell, I don't know, I'm not a scholar. Just... just don't get captured." Gunnar nodded grimly. Over the last few days, he had learned that the Kanien'keha:ka were the Wampanoag Confederacy's strongest enemy, and the most fearsome. Gunnar swallowed his deer meat.
"Understood...."

*An Icelandic word meaning blend, or mix.

Last edited:
Nice couple of updates, I do enjoy the new protagonist.

Couple of questions though:

It is hinted that the opposing confederacy seems to dislike “mixed race” people, is there a reason for that? Would that even be a thing during this time period, considering the modern views on race are still a century or two away?

Past that I’m excited for the coming conflict, and hope to see it’s effects get resolved and make the natives stronger before more Europeans come.

Nice couple of updates, I do enjoy the new protagonist.

Couple of questions though:

It is hinted that the opposing confederacy seems to dislike “mixed race” people, is there a reason for that? Would that even be a thing during this time period, considering the modern views on race are still a century or two away?

Past that I’m excited for the coming conflict, and hope to see it’s effects get resolved and make the natives stronger before more Europeans come.
The reason the Kanien'keha:ka don't like "mixed" people in this timeline is because from all of my research about the Mohawk's history, they seemed to really not like outsiders, or those from the Algonquin families instead of the Iroquois family for centuries. I've tried to dig up stuff on the Mohawk, but the major gist seems to be "particularly brutal and warlike" and "hate outsiders."

So I took it to the conclusion that they would really hate the Norse, not only for being different then most other tribes, but also for upsetting the balance in the new world with the introduction of iron weapons (which while they now have, they have had them for a shorter time than the Wampanoag).
Tribal warfare was common in North America and I've read that some tribes simply obliterated others. If the way I've written the Mohawk has offended anybody, I'm really sorry.

The reason the Kanien'keha:ka don't like "mixed" people in this timeline is because from all of my research about the Mohawk's history, they seemed to really not like outsiders, or those from the Algonquin families instead of the Iroquois family for centuries. I've tried to dig up stuff on the Mohawk, but the major gist seems to be "particularly brutal and warlike" and "hate outsiders."

So I took it to the conclusion that they would really hate the Norse, not only for being different then most other tribes, but also for upsetting the balance in the new world with the introduction of iron weapons (which while they now have, they have had them for a shorter time than the Wampanoag).
Tribal warfare was common in North America and I've read that some tribes simply obliterated others. If the way I've written the Mohawk has offended anybody, I'm really sorry.
Oh there was no offense was just curious as to why, and now that you described why it does make very much sense.

The Mohawk had the auspices of being the “Defender” tribe as you have said, first against Algonquin groups and then the Dutch, who would be easily supplanted by the Norse here so makes sense.

Pre-Coulmbian and even Post-Columbian warfare among North American natives was no joke. Read a book about Red Clouds War a few years back and it was hard to stomach what the Plains tribes did to each other.

Last edited:
Chapter 24
1300: The fringes of where Mohican lands end and Kanien'keha:ka begin

Gunnar followed his war party through the thicket, searching for deer. Not expecting to be in combat, he did not carry his spear and shield. Instead, he wielded a bow. Creeping along with his allies, he took great care not to step on any twigs or branches. It was still early in the morning, the sun having barley risen. Grass, damp from dew. A low foggy mist hovered low over the ground. A soft thuthump thuthump was heard to his right. Knocking an arrow, Gunnar waited for the beast to come into his sight before releasing the missile. The arrow shot true and punctured the side of the deer, felling it. Quickly moving to its side, he drew a small blade from his belt to put the animal out of its misery before hauling it back to the army's encampment. Wampanoag men and their Mahican allies milled around the camp, going to quartermasters to request repairs for arms and armor, running errands, or socializing with their fellow soldiers. On his way to his war party's camp fire, he spotted the Wampanoag's ohkewaabe. One of the more effective tools used in siege warfare when attacking fortified town, it was a weapon that could be used to throw stone and earth at the walls or groups of enemies. While not practical in skirmishes or large clashes between armies, it was still a vital part of Vinland war doctrine. Near it was the missiqunuhtug, a weapon that inspired fear when charging fortifications. Not far from either weapon was the war oxen used to pull the war machines during marches, munching on grass. When he got to his campsite, he found Ivar speaking with a member of the Mahican. Nodding, the man left the camp. Gunnar looked back, watching him leave.
"What did he want?"
"Giving orders. We march west at midday." Gunnar sighed a bit, not too terribly excited about the prospect of crossing into enemy lands. Nonetheless, Gunnar obeyed his leader, falling in with his party when the army began to move again.

When the armies of the Wampanoag Confederacy and the Mahican began their westward march to the lands of the Kanien'keha:ka, cloud began to drizzle. Not heavy enough to soak in an instant, but it quickly became tiresome. The ground became wet and slick as the army marched on, boots and moccasins sinking into mud. Gunnar's column was forced to stop and help get one of the war machines moving after a wheel became trapped by mud. After freeing the weapon, the army continued on its path. Much to Gunnar's dismay, the army passed through burnt out villages and towns. Gunnar asked Ivar if it was Mahican or Kanien'keha:ka. Ivar said it didn't matter.
"These two tribes constatntly raid and burn eachother, and the border isn't exactly defined. Where we are? It's the fringes of the two. And everyone gets caught in the middle."
"Then why are we here if it's so common?"
"Because this time, the Kanien'keha:ka pushed in deep, and burned down a couple important places. We can't have the Mahicans collapse and let the Kanien'keha:ka threaten us." After a little more walking Gunnar spotted a skeleton in ratty clothes in a clearing, arms spread out and legs straight. Upon closer inspection, he saw the skeleton had been tied down at some point in the past. One of Gunnar's allies declared him to be a priest.
"The heathens have a tendency to leave the holy men to die of starvation after tying them down to look like the lord on the cross." Gunnar gulped.
"Why?"
"Sends a message to the church to keep its holy men from interfering with their lives."
"I can't entirely blame them," said Ivar sullenly. The others looked at him. He continued. "Once upon a time, a more devout missionary attempted to stir up a Christian rebellion against some of the chiefs, screaming 'deus vult' as he and his followers rose up to drive away the nonbelievers. He was killed, along with those he led into battle. But it probably still helped lead to the hatred and distrust for us Norse. Also hence the hatred for Christians in their lands." The party resumed walking with the main army. Gunnar took one more look at the skeleton before he rushed to catch up with his unit.

Ohkewaabe
1590356802799.png

Missiqunuhtug
1590356847338.png

Author's Note: with the introduction of metal forging among the North Eastern tribes, some of the Vinlanders have independently developed certain technologies and practices, such as siege weapons and winches.

Last edited:
And things are afoot... if/when Columbus shows up, he will find a land quite well off on its own -and not inclined at all to bow to some foreign king. That´s not likely to end well, for either involved party.

Not far from either weapon was the war goats used to pull the war machines during marches, munching on grass and leaves.
Goats? Really?!? How many of them would be needed to pull much of anything? Oxen, mules, even reindeers I could understand, but I never heard of goats being used as draft animals.

Driftless

Donor
Goats? Really?!? How many of them would be needed to pull much of anything? Oxen, mules, even reindeers I could understand, but I never heard of goats being used as draft animals.

I had to look that one up, but goats have been/are used as light draft animals. Who knew? I guess not so far different from using dogs as sled pullers
AKGoats-1024x696.jpg

Probably about five goats for either siege weapon. These are Vinland war goats, bred for strength by the mahicans.

in hindsight, maybe I should have said oxen.