Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrison

Donor
Inspired by Garrison's TL "The Münich Shuffle" where a better prepared Britain give the Germans a much harder fight during the invasion of France (but still results in the conquest of France) and this of course leads to many butterflies. Link below.
https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/munich-shuffle-1938-1942.518000/

Stuh 38(t)
pXV4k53.png

The loss of more panzers during Operation Yellow leads Hitler to be convinced that Germany need harder hitting tanks and self propelled assault guns, Hitler orders more StuG III's be made but the General staff fearing this would lead to a reduce numbers of the Pz.III their main battle tank at the time, suggest that the Pz.38 (t) be converted into an SPG similar to the StuG. and this leads to the StuH 38 (t) and this...

Jagdpanzer 38 (t)
9vgvmCS.png

So the Germans get two new variants of the Pz.38 (t) earlier in the war but both the Marder and the Hetzer get butterflied.
Romania's Mareșal tank destroyer will also be butterflied as they will receive StuH 38 (t)'s from Germany and will copy the design for themselves.*

I plan on doing a 75mm armed version but this new AFV will also be slightly different than the OTL Hetzer.

These designs are my idea and may not appear in the fore mentioned TL they were inspired by.
Just to say both have now been officially adopted for the TL. :)

With the Norwegian Truge, the original FT17 came with either mg or 37mm gun (firing HE or canister in WW1 and adding AP and possibly smoke in WW2). I don't know if these two weapons were interchangeable like the much later British 2pounder and CS guns. If so, it creates a little more room for causing mayhem with the Truge. Canister was good against infantry in the open and for clearing undergrowth so could be handy in forests, and while the 37mm AP was feeble, it should be effective against Neubaufahrzeug and Panzer1.

With the Norwegian Truge, the original FT17 came with either mg or 37mm gun (firing HE or canister in WW1 and adding AP and possibly smoke in WW2). I don't know if these two weapons were interchangeable like the much later British 2pounder and CS guns. If so, it creates a little more room for causing mayhem with the Truge. Canister was good against infantry in the open and for clearing undergrowth so could be handy in forests, and while the 37mm AP was feeble, it should be effective against Neubaufahrzeug and Panzer1.

Not really interchangeable as the respective mantlets were significantly different. Probably easier to have spare turrets to swap over, if required. However, the 37mm is not mentioned in @deLanglade ’s backstory…

E-300 Säbelzahn Tiger
Säbelzahn Tiger.png

I got diagnosed with Covid over the weekend, had some flu-like symptoms for a couple of days but I'm feeling fine now, I think it's because I got vaccinated last spring and got my booster shot in early December but I'm in quarantine for the next twenty days or so (haven't heard the official verdict from my P.A. yet).
I'm locked in my bedroom and have plenty of books, stuff on my DVR, access to my favorite music and my computer of course, still expect some crazy designs now and then as I slowly go off the deep end.

Just kidding I enjoy being alone and having no time schedule to stick to we'll make this the closest thing to a vacation I've had in years, many years.

Last edited:
that is not actually german lol, in german they usually use the latin name Smilodon.
Plus it is a north-american big cat, unlikely to be used for a name
maybe ' Höhlenlöwe'? (cave lion)

Last edited:
that is not actually german lol, in german they usually use the latin name Smilodon.
It's what came up in a German English translation site and I didn't put a lot of thought into it.

It's from a timeline where it makes sense so there. :p

It's what came up in a German English translation site and I didn't put a lot of thought into it.

It's from a timeline where it makes sense so there. :p
ah machinetranslation, lots of fun to be had
try translation something, translate it back and forth and see what you get lol funny results sometimes.

and feel better!

maybe ' Höhlenlöwe'? (cave lion)
I´ve seen the term Säbelzahntiger or Säbelzahnkatze (one word though) used in Germany. And in a way it makes more sense in Germany as the Säbelzahnkatzen in Europe were not Smilodons, but other Machairodontinae.

It depends on the context. You can totally call it a "Säbelzahntiger" or sometimes even "Säbelzahnkatze" in normal conversation, but I dont think it would be choosen as a tank name, its just to unwieldy of a word.

Edit: @historyfool was faster and is completly correct!

I´ve seen the term Säbelzahntiger or Säbelzahnkatze (one word though) used in Germany. And in a way it makes more sense in Germany as the Säbelzahnkatzen in Europe were not Smilodons, but other Machairodontinae.
Went back and change the name to one word.

marathag

Banned
I've always thought that the T49 or M18 would've been a good starting point for a Cavalry/Light Tank design. Had the prewar Cavalry leaders not been so against fighting for information and the economy of force missions, such a design would done very well in the early war.
Just get rid if the McNairism of 'You can tell its a TD and not tank from the open turret top'
Adding a lid and a couple hatches would not impact the weight much, and save a lot of wounding from airbursts and MG fire

Status
Not open for further replies.