Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes IV (Do not post Current Politics Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas Gubernatorial Election, 2006

With the Republicans collapsing in 2006, it seemed that even solid Red states could be up for grabs. With a conservative split occurring in Texas between Governor Rick Perry and Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn, with the latter running as an independent in the Gubernatorial race, Democrat Chris Bell's campaign felt confident, though a victory was still unlikely. Then, mostly liberal candidate Kinky Friedman dropped out and endorsed Bell. Going into the final weeks, the election was a total tossup, with Bell's campaign not knowing if Friedman voters would show up to the polls, and Perry's team unsure of how huge the split caused by Strayhorn was.

Early on the morning of November 8, Perry called Bell to concede, having lost the election by 3.2 points and roughly 140,000 votes. Texas would have its first Democratic governor since Ann Richards. The Democratic Wave had done wonders across the nation, including making Bell into a national figure overnight.

Texas06FINAL.png

Last edited:
(Note: Yes, I know this is total ASB, but it's mostly for fun.)

The Libertarian rEVOLution

With Donald Trump's victory in the Republican Primaries, Rand Paul followed in his father's footsteps and left the Republican Party to join the Libertarian one. With the son of the Father of the Modern Libertarian movement in the party, the Libertarians give him the nomination, letting former nominee Gary Johnson be his vice presidential candidate. The Paul/Johnson ticket has high hopes to reach 5% of the popular vote.
PXdHRKo.png

Kentucky results were a promising start, having gained 11.2% of the popular vote in Paul's home state.
5r9Yqlb.png

New Mexico's results were a little more surprising.
FnURxXJ.png

Most expected them to get less votes in New Mexico because, while Gary Johnson was the governor of the state, he wasn't leading the ticket. However, it seems that Paul was pulling a lot of support from the Tea Partiers away from Trump.

But the biggest upsets of the election were Montana and Alaska
a4L1Xzf.png

Clinton won Montana, being the first Democrat to win the state since her husband in 1992. The success of the Libertarian ticket in Montana cost conservatives the state. Vote splitting between Libertarian and Republican tickets let Clinton gain a small lead in the state over both her competitors.

Alaska was a different matter entirely
jb7PWW5.png

The Libertarians had won a state, making them the first third party to do so since George Wallace in 1968. There would be many recounts in the state of Alaska, but the final result would stand, with Rand Paul winning the state by 255 votes and gaining Alaska's 3 electoral votes.
((Editor's note: Removed the black boxes.))

Last edited:
(Note: Yes, I know this is total ASB, but it's mostly for fun.)

The Libertarian rEVOLution

With Donald Trump's victory in the Republican Primaries, Rand Paul followed in his father's footsteps and left the Republican Party to join the Libertarian one. With the son of the Father of the Modern Libertarian movement in the party, the Libertarians give him the nomination, letting former nominee Gary Johnson be his vice presidential candidate. The Paul/Johnson ticket has high hopes to reach 5% of the popular vote.
PXdHRKo.png

Kentucky results were a promising start, having gained 11.2% of the popular vote in Paul's home state.
sMUzJv0.png

New Mexico's results were a little more surprising.
ktlPRFG.png

Most expected them to get less votes in New Mexico because, while Gary Johnson was the governor of the state, he wasn't leading the ticket. However, it seems that Paul was pulling a lot of support from the Tea Partiers away from Trump.

But the biggest upsets of the election were Montana and Alaska
RiQxa7L.png

Clinton won Montana, being the first Democrat to win the state since her husband in 1992. The success of the Libertarian ticket in Montana cost conservatives the state. Vote splitting between Libertarian and Republican tickets let Clinton gain a small lead in the state over both her competitors.

Alaska was a different matter entirely
lAq0PIb.png

The Libertarians had won a state, making them the first third party to do so since George Wallace in 1968. There would be many recounts in the state of Alaska, but the final result would stand, with Rand Paul winning the state by 255 votes and gaining Alaska's 3 electoral votes.​
Please continue this. It's looking good.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
hhhhhh.png
The House of Commons of the United Kingdom is the lower house of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Like its upper house counterpart, the House of Lords, the House of Commons adjourns at the New Palace of Westminster. Officially, the full name of the house is: The Honourable the Commons of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland in Parliament assembled.

The House is an elected body consisting of
800 members known as Members of Parliament (MPs). Members are elected by mixed-member proportional (MMP) every five years and hold their seats until Parliament is dissolved. The current rendering of Parliment contains 450 English seats, 150 Irish seats, 60 Scottish Seats, and 40 Welsh seats. The remaining 100 seats are elected by party list, 65 English, 20 Irish, 10 Scottish, and 5 Welsh. Due to the electoral system, a majority Government if often impossible to form- the last majority Government was 1995- resulting in the Party with the plurality of seats to seek a coalition with a smaller party.

The House of Commons of England evolved in the 13th and 14th centuries, became the House of Commons of Great Britain after the political union with Scotland in 1707, and assumed its current title after the political union with Ireland at the start of the 19th century. The "United Kingdom" refers to the union of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

The current Government is led in the Commons by Donald Mount (as the First Lord of the Treasury, Lord Gorseinon, sits in the House of Lords), and is made up of a right-wing coalition composited of the Conservative Party, the Liberal Democrats, the Irish Unionists (who are often considered to be part of the Conservative Party, sharing a whip), and the Liberal Party. The official opposition is the Labour Party, led by Andrew Brown. The Speaker of the House is Sir Samuel Knatchbull, formerly of the Liberal Democrats.

The House of Commons was last elected on the 10 December 2015. The current Parliment is expected to dissolve before or on the 10 December 2020.

(Blue text was taken directly from the House of Commons wikipedia article)

Texas Gubernatorial Election, 2006

With the Republicans collapsing in 2006, it seemed that even solid Red states could be up for grabs. With a conservative split occurring in Texas between Governor Rick Perry and Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn, with the latter running as an independent in the Gubernatorial race, Democrat Chris Bell's campaign felt confident, though a victory was still unlikely. Then, mostly liberal candidate Kinky Friedman dropped out and endorsed Bell. Going into the final weeks, the election was a total tossup, with Bell's campaign not knowing if Friedman voters would show up to the polls, and Perry's team unsure of how huge the split caused by Strayhorn was.

Early on the morning of November 8, Perry called Bell to concede, having lost the election by 3.2 points and roughly 140,000 votes. Texas would have its first Democratic governor since Ann Richards. The Democratic Wave had done wonders across the nation, including making Bell into a national figure overnight.

View attachment 309652
I like it - it sounds like you might be interested in my timeline. A few quibbles:
I'm not sure it's right to call Kinky Friedman a "liberal" - he had a lot of liberal support, but he was personally fairly conservative.
Strayhorn, I think, took more or less equally from Perry and Bell in terms of votes, and she took a lot of early funding from Democrats like Ben Barnes and Tony Sanchez because they saw her as the only electable opposition to Perry. Calling the split between Strayhorn and Perry a conservative split is technically correct but, I think, misleading, especially considering that most conservatives went for Perry anyway.

I'm not sure it's right to call Kinky Friedman a "liberal" - he had a lot of liberal support, but he was personally fairly conservative.
Strayhorn, I think, took more or less equally from Perry and Bell in terms of votes, and she took a lot of early funding from Democrats like Ben Barnes and Tony Sanchez because they saw her as the only electable opposition to Perry. Calling the split between Strayhorn and Perry a conservative split is technically correct but, I think, misleading, especially considering that most conservatives went for Perry anyway.
Oh. I didn't know any of that, and I'll definitely check out your TL.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
When it spoils the ending of the series, I don't see why not?
When it detracts from the overall quality of your work and makes it visually unappealing, I don't see why?

I mean, if you really don't want to spoil it, you can just go with the 'TBD'. Sure a black box hides whatever the author doesn't want to spoil, but at the same time if it ultimately detracts from the quality of the box because of how visually unappealing it is, then what's the point of including it?

When it detracts from the overall quality of your work and makes it visually unappealing, I don't see why?

I mean, if you really don't want to spoil it, you can just go with the 'TBD'. Sure a black box hides whatever the author doesn't want to spoil, but at the same time if it ultimately detracts from the quality of the box because of how visually unappealing it is, then what's the point of including it?

Or use a light blurring tool for it.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
Or use a light blurring tool for it.
Or just let it be spoiled.

I mean, and not to be harsh, but I'm less inclined to care about a box series if the author is so nervous about 'spoiling' it they'll ruin their boxes with pointless black bars. Yeah, I suppose maybe Rand Paul becoming President or whatever is something you don't want to spoil, but to be honest I'd be more interested seeing that and finding out how he became President. And if it's 'TBD', it at least captures in some sense that those boxes are being updated along with the incoming results.

Now, this isn't specifically aimed at the Paul Boxes, as I am curious about those, but it's more broadly indicative of a really bad habit that wikibox makers have fallen into, one that isn't taking into consideration how a wikibox looks, which given the purpose of this thread and graphic design in general (because, and lets not kid ourselves, this is a form of graphic design) is rather a big issue in my book.

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
P H R E S H

Is this a Edwardian/Late Victorian-punk (surely Steampunk? Ed.) vibe that you're going for in that infobox?
It was directly inspired by the 1922 Parliment of 707 seats, though given the inclusion of a Lords PM, I suppose that I'm certainly drawing from the turn of the 20th Century. Late Steampunk? Yeah, lets go with that.

Honestly, it's because I kinda forgot to remove Donald Trump from the original box. I don't know who I'll have win the election yet. I could probably go back through and change them to TBD, which I'll probably as soon as I finish this post. It's not really a censor for spoilers, it's a censor because I don't know who will win yet and I forgot to remove Trump while editing.
Editor's note: The black boxes have been removed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.