What are some other names the British royals could have adopted, in lieu of Windsor?

Some names that come to me are;
  • House Balmoral
  • House Buckingham
  • House Wessex
  • House Pendragon
  • House Albion

I would say of United Kingdom but it sounds pretty stuppid.
The Saksen-coburg line in belgium renamed themselves like that.

They are descended from vile usurpers of House Wessex. For Pendragon and Albion, no member of the British Royal Family has, to my knowledge, encountered strange ladies lying in ponds distributing swords (but that would make a great ASB TL, especially if the 'wrong' sibling got it) required for those names.

As @Kerney mentioned, all English kings from 1067 onwards weren't heirs of Alfred of Wessex but rather William the Conqueror.

I know several former dynasty names (Tudor, Plantagenet, Stuart, etc) were all considered. One idea would be to simply be the "House of England", this is similar to what Belgium did, and it sounds better than "House of Great Britain/United Kingdom".

As @Kerney mentioned, all English kings from 1067 onwards weren't heirs of Alfred of Wessex but rather William the Conqueror.

I know several former dynasty names (Tudor, Plantagenet, Stuart, etc) were all considered. One idea would be to simply be the "House of England", this is similar to what Belgium did, and it sounds better than "House of Great Britain/United Kingdom".
I considered saying of England but i wonder if that wouldnt upset the Scottish/north irish/wales ?

• House Balmoral

Perhaps.

• House Buckingham

IMO it is bit odd name the family after their major residence.

• House Wessex

Probably not. It is basically another name for Anglo-Saxon Dynasty altough they are descendants through Henry I's mother and William the Conqueror's wife.

• House Pendragon

Where from that even comes?

• House Albion

Sounds bit too non-English for me.

Windsor is one of few viable names since it is very English last name and name comes from one of royal palaces.

I checked this on Wikipedia.

I first went to the article on the "House of Hanover", on March 28th, 2024. It claims that "the formal name of the house was the House of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Hanover line" and notes that "originating as a cadet branch of the House of Welf in 1635, also known then as the House of Brunswick-Lüneburg". So the name of the dynasty in Great Britain was the name of the town where they had their palace.

Then I tried "House of Windsor", same date, and only got that the House was named after the royal residence. The house of Hanover was also named after the residence. Likewise, "house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha" is really "House of Wettin, Saxe-Coburg and Gotha branch". The current royal house of Great Britain would likewise be the "House of Oldenburg, Windsor branch."

Really all George V did was to emphasize the main residence of the house, which is Windsor, and not the Germanic name for the entire family, which was Wettin.

The most plausible alternative name would have been "House of Westminster". The main urban royal residence is St. James Palace, not Buckingham Palace.

I checked this on Wikipedia.

I first went to the article on the "House of Hanover", on March 28th, 2024. It claims that "the formal name of the house was the House of Brunswick-Lüneburg, Hanover line" and notes that "originating as a cadet branch of the House of Welf in 1635, also known then as the House of Brunswick-Lüneburg". So the name of the dynasty in Great Britain was the name of the town where they had their palace.

Then I tried "House of Windsor", same date, and only got that the House was named after the royal residence. The house of Hanover was also named after the residence. Likewise, "house of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha" is really "House of Wettin, Saxe-Coburg and Gotha branch". The current royal house of Great Britain would likewise be the "House of Oldenburg, Windsor branch."

Really all George V did was to emphasize the main residence of the house, which is Windsor, and not the Germanic name for the entire family, which was Wettin.

The most plausible alternative name would have been "House of Westminster". The main urban royal residence is St. James Palace, not Buckingham Palace.
wait so theyre really wettins, my life is a lie