Alternate History Combat Aircraft

Me-110 Volks Rache (People's Vengeance)
Me-110-V-IV.png

A Messerschmitt Me-110 with a V-1 rocket engine mounted to the fuselage, intended for suicide attacks agaisnt Allied bomber formations.
Another last ditch weapon of desperation, nicknamed "The V-3" by Allied bomber crews.

Hullo.
Uhm, weren't there actual test articles similar to that?
Or were they strapped to He-111?
By accounts the pulse jets vibrations were something fierce. Would have needed a good amount of springs or such too damp it down. Or shake the plane apart... or the pilot, which ever went first. 😛

The German may have stolen it from the Japanese.
I've always liked the idea of the Okha reworked with a couple of 'Motor-jets' mounted under each wing with the 'Boom' tank mainly replaced by fuel and a couple of machine guns on its 'Deck' to create a "Wooden Swallow".

Pretty sure the motor-jets 'Bounce per ounce' would have given the little wooden beasty some not too shabby performance. Though wing loading etc would need some investigation.

Cheers

It is my understanding that the axial flow design is inherently “better“ than the centrifugal design in that, for a centrifugal engine, an increase in power output requires an in crease in chamber size, resulting in a larger diameter engine (and a larger aircraft cross section). It’s one reason why as jet performance requirements increased, axial flow designs replaced centrifugal designs. However centrifugal engines are easier to manufacture. Axial flow engines subject the internal rotating parts to extreme temperatures, so are difficult to manufacture. Metallurgy at the time was not up to those types of stresses for any nation, but especially for the Germans who had little to no access to the materials required. It’s actually pretty amazing that the Jumo engine worked at all, let alone in a combat plane.

ric350
Centrifugal engines are also much more resistant to foreign object damage.

Hullo.
Uhm, weren't there actual test articles similar to that?
Or were they strapped to He-111?
By accounts the pulse jets vibrations were something fierce. Would have needed a good amount of springs or such too damp it down. Or shake the plane apart... or the pilot, which ever went first. 😛
There was a manned version of the V-1 with a cockpit instead of a warhead and He-111's were used to launch V-1's in flight but I don't believe any V-1's were mounted onto aircraft.
I'm not sure if a plane could handle the power of a V-1's thrust and I only imagined the Me-110 powering on the rocket before launching itself into a bomber stream.
It would definitely be a one way trip.

Me-110 Volks Rache (People's Vengeance)
View attachment 843972
A Messerschmitt Me-110 with a V-1 rocket engine mounted to the fuselage, intended for suicide attacks agaisnt Allied bomber formations.
Another last ditch weapon of desperation, nicknamed "The V-3" by Allied bomber crews.
I actually had an idea about the Swiss in WWII investing in turbo engines because 1) they had no homebuilt piston engines to speak of but 2) they had a lot of experience building water- and steam turbines. Eventually they would use one of their Swiss BF110's as a test bed because of the double tail.

Speaking of "Prop Punk" (and we were at some point I'm sure :) ) there's a YouTuber with an interesting "jets are a very late development but turboprops get some love" videos (and extensive Discord and server AH to back it up) here: https://www.youtube.com/@messier82ac

He's using a test copy of a new engine called "Flyout" that he's got. Interesting stuff

Randy

I actually had an idea about the Swiss in WWII investing in turbo engines because 1) they had no homebuilt piston engines to speak of but 2) they had a lot of experience building water- and steam turbines. Eventually they would use one of their Swiss BF110's as a test bed because of the double tail.
Swiss Experimental Jet assisted Messerschmitt Me-110

Me-110 jet Swiss.png