Alternate Colonisers of the Americas

Which nations, dynasties, cultures, or peoples had the potential to establish lasting colonies in the New World, after 1492? For nations which attempted to colonise the New World but failed to establish a lasting colonial presence -- how might their colonies have been successful, and what would the consequences have been? For nations which had plans to colonise the Americas, but didn't execute them -- how might those plans have been successful? For nations which showed no interest in colonisation at the time -- what could have spurred interest in the New World, and make colonial expeditions more feasible?

I'll start.

The Saadi Sultanate of Morocco: Sultan Ahmed al-Mansour (r.1578-1603) was known to have an interest in seizing Spanish and Portuguese colonies in the New World. The idea wasn't ludicrous; Morocco had built up a substantive navy largely made up of Moorish refugees, and many of the adventurers known to Christians as Barbary Corsairs were essentially privateers on behalf of Morocco, the Ottoman Empire, or both. Ahmed al-Mansour also pursued relations with the great naval powers of the Ottoman Empire, France, and most famously England against Spain. In the latter case, he and Queen Elizabeth I established the Anglo-Moroccan alliance, which established trade relations dominated mainly by the sale of English arms, munitions, and naval-grade timber to Morocco. Numerous attempts at direct military cooperation with England were made, but none of them were seen through. Additionally, Ahmed al-Mansour invaded and conquered the Songhay Empire and established lasting Moroccan rule over Timbuktu, for two main reasons -- 1) to control the trans-Saharan trade routes and guarantee Moroccan access to things like gold and salt, but also 2) to control the trans-Atlantic slave trade as well. The Sultan knew that the Christian colonies in the New World needed African slaves to exist, and so he sought to control this commodity as much as he could. Ahmed al-Mansour's long-term goals included the reconquest of Andalusia from the Christians, and I don't know that this is beyond the realm of possibility.
If Ahmed al-Mansour and his successors seriously tried to establish Moroccan colonies in the New World, Morocco could have benefited from the Triangle Trade as well as the Trans-Saharan Trade and become extremely powerful. However, I don't believe it's possible for Morocco to conquer New Spain, and it'd be very difficult for Morocco to establish colonies anywhere without English or other Christian cooperation. The conquest of one or two Caribbean islands, the construction of fortified ports and trading-posts in Guyana or along the Brazilian coast, and incentivising Barbary Corsairs and Moorish refugees to settle these small fortified colonies would probably be the best way to start. The Caribbean is wealthy, and already home to pirates and privateers of all stripes; surely, Moors and other Muslim corsairs would be enticed by the prospect of wealth and jihad as well, especially against the Spanish. And while Moroccans may feel squeamish about using African Muslims as plantation slaves, who knows? Maybe European Christians could serve as slaves on Moroccan plantations, alongside African pagans.

The Grand Duchy of Tuscany: From Columbus to Vespucci to Cabot to Verrazzano, Italians had served a crucial role in the colonisation of the Americas. However, these were all in service to foreign powers; there was never an enduring colony in the New World established on behalf of a nation based in Italy. There was one notable attempt, however. The House of Medici, which still benefited from its monopoly over Christendom's greatest alum mines but was seeing the decline in the Mediterranean trade in favour of new Atlantic trade routes, sought to establish a colony which could import brazilwood to Italy, thus getting them involved in the trans-Atlantic trade network. In 1608, the Grand Duke of Tuscany Ferdinand I de' Medici sent an expedition led by Captain Robert Thornton, an Englishman, to explore northern Brazil and the Amazon River with the goal of establishing a Tuscan colony. The expedition landed near what is now the city of Cayenne in modern-day French Guiana (which the French would not colonise until 1630). Thornton and his company returned without losing a single man, and brought back several natives (although most of these natives died along the way). When they returned to Tuscany in June 1609, Thornton and the natives which survived spoke of a land rich in rosewood, sugarcane, balsam, white pepper, and many other valuable goods. However, Grand Duke Ferdinand had died in February of that year, and his successor -- Cosimo II -- was not interested in the project. In the summer of 1609, Thornton attempted to establish a settlement with Italian settlers from Livorno and Lucca, but the project was ultimately abandoned.
If Thornton had been allowed to establish a Tuscan colony in Guyana, I think it has a high likelihood of being successful, especially since the French would establish a successful colony on the very same site only a couple decades later. Tuscany had good relations with Portugal, Spain, and France, so I don't think a Tuscan presence in the region would be received with too much hostility. What's more, Tuscany (and the Italies in general) had many experienced merchants and navigators; it seems like it wouldn't be lacking for potential investors. Finally, if they need to, the Medici family could potentially rely on the Pope for financial or political support in establishing the colony.

The House of Welser: The Welser family was one of the most influential banking and merchant families of their day, matched perhaps only by the Fuggers. Like the Fuggers, the Welsers hailed from Augsburg (though they claimed descent from Flavius Belisarius, the famous Byzantine general). The Welsers were among the first Germans to invest in trade expeditions to the East using the routes discovered by Vasco da Gama. As a reward for contributing to his election in 1519, Holy Roman Emperor Charles V awarded the Welsers with the Contract of Madrid (1528), which granted them privileges over the African slave trade in the Americas. The Welsers became one of the biggest financiers in the Americas, and used their wealth to control large sectors of the European economy. In order to pay off his debts to the Welser family, Charles V granted Bartholomeus V. Welser the right to colonise the Province of Venezuela in 1528. Bartholomeus Welser governed Venezuela as Klein-Venedig ("Little Venice," a German translation of Venezuela's name in Spanish), and developed it into a colony dominated by sugar plantations, importing thousands of African slaves to do so. The Welsers also brought about a hundred and fifty German miners to Venezuela to mine for gold; however, these mining efforts proved fruitless. Finally, the Welsers were permitted to go on expeditions to explore Venezuela in pursuit of El Dorado. The Welsers sponsored many expeditions to find El Dorado, as it enticed European settlers and was an excuse to conquer and plunder the native populations. However, the Welser-sponsored, German conquistadores were so rapacious it destabilised Spanish rule in the area. Charles V revoked the Welsers' right to colonise Venezuela in 1546, and appointed a Spanish captain-general to take the place of the Welsers' German mercenary governors.
Though the Welsers governed a Spanish colony, I think a more interesting scenario would be if, after the death of Charles V, they governed Venezuela as an Austrian Habsburg colony instead of a Spanish Habsburg one. Regardless, however, an enduring Klein-Venedig would mean an enduring German presence in the Americas.

So, what other countries had plans to colonise the Americas which didn't materialise or didn't last, and how could they have been more successful? What countries had the potential to become great colonial powers in the New World, but weren't interested?

The Moroccans wouldn't be able to go about enslaving Muslim slaves. I think given the history of Jihads in the early colonies that had enslaved Senegambians and the examples we have of the Male Revolt any Muslim colony surrounded by Christian nations would radically deviate from the Muslim dominate North African states that enslaved Muslim subsaharans.

Ibn Sori a prince of Fouta Djallon enslaved in Mississippi gained the recognition of Abd al-Rahman ibn Hisham the Sultan of Morocco who asked for Sori’s freedom is an example of this.

The Moroccans wouldn't be able to go about enslaving Muslim slaves. I think given the history of Jihads in the early colonies that had enslaved Senegambians and the examples we have of the Male Revolt any Muslim colony surrounded by Christian nations would radically deviate from the Muslim dominate North African states that enslaved Muslim subsaharans.

Ibn Sori a prince of Fouta Djallon enslaved in Mississippi gained the recognition of Abd al-Rahman ibn Hisham the Sultan of Morocco who asked for Sori’s freedom is an example of this.
Right, of course. Which is why I think Christian slaves captured by Barbary pirates could replace the Muslim slaves used by Christian powers.

Damn, I want to contribute to this thread but my idea is based on a fictional/ATL nations, not OTL counterparts. Is that still valid?

Totally!! What's your idea?
I've reposted it from Alternate Languages thread, but it's just a(n incomplete) summary:
The Finn part is already explained in this post, while Avar is equivalent to OTL Hungary (and either Serbia or Croatia-Bosnia and Herzegovina) but speaking a Chuktokan (or Northern Beringian in this thread) language.

Here's the explanation itself:
The Finno-Avaric West India Company was a state-sponsored merchant society mostly composed of Avaric and exiled Roman Catholic Finnish merchants who were interested in opening new opportunities in the New World, which was achieved thanks to its special relationship with the Papacy in Rome; it was indeed an open secret in the courts of competing European nations, principally Spain and Portugal, that the Finno-Avaric West India Company held a certain influence in the Holy See, most notably hiring capable ships and passing through the Mediterranean, that they held some New World territories.

PS/OOC:
Is this still legit, @Pio2013 ?

Last edited:
I think Japan could. Although colonization would probably be more focused on Siberia and Kamchatka. I mean there’s a current connecting Japan to the West Coast.
10ED717A-E562-492A-AACD-7D83DD1B9DF0.jpeg

Japan would probably (lightly) colonize Alaska
and Siberia, maybe for settlement, fishing or fur. I definitely think it could be likely as long as Japan isn’t as isolated as OTL.

Here’s a good thread about it.

Perhaps some groups of Polynesians (likely the Tahitians via Rapa Nui) could make an effort, but their style of colonization in Chile would be a radical departure from European Colonialism

I think Japan could. Although colonization would probably be more focused on Siberia and Kamchatka. I mean there’s a current connecting Japan to the West Coast.
and Siberia, maybe for settlement, fishing or fur. I definitely think it could be likely as long as Japan isn’t as isolated as OTL.

RE Japan: Why would they if they did not colonise Siberia and Kamchatka? In fact they did not even put trading posts into the latter.

Also, over the era that the Europeans started colonising the Americas the Japanese were first in a brutal civil war and then under the domination of a powerful warlord who was very likely to see colonies as a threat to his and his family's rule.

I think Japan could. Although colonization would probably be more focused on Siberia and Kamchatka. I mean there’s a current connecting Japan to the West Coast.View attachment 651522

Hmmm...this is very interesting. What about China, though? The voyages of Zheng He brought a great deal of prestige to China, as well as merchants, sailors, and engineers from around the world who were skilled in navigation. The Ming Dynasty was generally far more outward-looking than Japan was. For example, the Hongwu Emperor famously wrote poetry in praise of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH), built mosques in the Imperial capitals, and promoted Muslims to high-ranking positions in the government and military in order to attract merchants from across Asia and Africa. The Zhengde Emperor is even rumoured to have converted to Islam (though this is a controversial claim, and his clear favouritism for Muslims and other foreigners was controversial at the time). And it wasn't just Muslims -- the Hongwu Emperor sent a trade ship to the newly-unified Japan in 1584 (two years after the death of Oda Nobunaga) in hopes of establishing formal trade ties, and the Ming were willing to allow the Portuguese to rent Macau as a trading post, too. The Ming did become more isolationist over time, and stopped sending out treasure fleets to gather tribute; instead, they poured a great deal of their wealth into bolstering the Great Wall, and the Imperial government cloistered itself ever more in the Forbidden City. But if Ming China had maintained its interest in maritime trade and navigation, could it have been motivated to sail east on a voyage of exploration, rather than just west and south on voyages of tribute?
China also had a lot of technology which Europe didn't have or wasn't widespread in Europe yet. iirc, Ming Dynasty ships could be much bigger and carry much more cargo than European ships in the 1400s, and could still navigate just as well over deep water. The Chinese also made wide use of the printing press, including for the printing of maps and charts -- something which hadn't become widespread in Europe in the early 1400s yet.

Last edited:
Like Russia it would probably be at first extractive but then they'd realise they needed food to help make it cheaper, especially since the natives will end up dying off. And the easiest way to supply it with food would be to go south and settle the mouth of the Fraser River or somewhere in the Puget Sound.

But you really would need a totally different Japan, like one that decides to colonise Hokkaido instead of just taking what they most wanted (furs) from the Ainu.
RE Japan: Why would they if they did not colonise Siberia and Kamchatka? In fact they did not even put trading posts into the latter.
There was very sporadic trade with Kamchatka (less than Sakhalin, granted) and the Edo Period Japanese certainly knew of it. The native Itelmen knew of them as well (the Japanese were most famous for their iron needles and the Itelmen called them "needle people"), although mostly knew them from their goods which they bought from the Kuril Ainu (who also settled the far south of Kamchatka in the mid-2nd millennium since selling Japanese goods to the Itelmen was very lucrative).

But the Japanese didn't do much with Kamchatka because they didn't need to. The Ainu of Hokkaido gave them everything they needed and were a lot easier to supervise.
Also, over the era that the Europeans started colonising the Americas the Japanese were first in a brutal civil war and then under the domination of a powerful warlord who was very likely to see colonies as a threat to his and his family's rule.
I do like the proposal that theoretically, the Spanish/Portuguese could've helped the Japanese Catholics settle in California or the PNW.

Last edited: