Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

I hope it turns out not to be that big of a deal. Anyway, who or what the hell is "A24" supposed to be and why are people treating it like it's Warner Bros or Disney in terms of importance?

Anyway, who or what the hell is "A24" supposed to be and why are people treating it like it's Warner Bros or Disney in terms of importance?
a studio that seems to specialize in making pretentious movies, of the "true art is incomprehensible" variety. while i'm a casual viewer in any case, i coincidentally recorded alot of theirs as part of my Halloween movies last year and didn't like any of them, and above all the others i ended up seeing i genuinely consider 2013's Under the Skin to have been a waste of my time and was the standout worst thing i watched that year, to the point of being one of my most-hated movies. (not that i really bother evaluating fiction like that--even with lots of "classically bad" or "popular to hate" movies my opinion is usually "ehh" at worst and i'm more forgiving of them than most, so it's really saying something when i outright state that i HATE a work of fiction)

so, for me at least, the A24 logo is a red flag that earns the reaction of "Ugh, this is gonna suck, isn't it?"

(EDIT: gah, i don't know how i confused "best" for "worst" when talking about the quality of a given work of fiction :p)

Last edited:
a studio that seems to specialize in making pretentious movies, of the "true art is incomprehensible" variety. while i'm a casual viewer in any case, i coincidentally recorded alot of theirs as part of my Halloween movies last year and didn't like any of them, and above all the others i ended up seeing i genuinely consider 2013's Under the Skin to have been a waste of my time and was the standout worst thing i watched that year, to the point of being one of my most-hated movies. (not that i really bother evaluating fiction like that--even with lots of "classically bad" or "popular to hate" movies my opinion is usually "ehh" at best and i'm more forgiving of them than most, so it's really saying something when i outright state that i HATE a work of fiction)

so, for me at least, the A24 logo is a red flag that earns the reaction of "Ugh, this is gonna suck, isn't it?"
That sounds really awful.

The truth is that I only knew about it because recently in a "Cringe AH" thread they started spamming a bunch of absurd maps with the A24 logo, but I had thought that it was an alternative history not very different from the ones written here (only than on Reddit or some other internet cringe black hole).

I didn't think anyone would really bother to make a movie with a premise as burned out, stale, and stagnant as a Second American Civil War. (All variants that I had the disgrace to saw seems to be simply aesthetically different variants of the same tropes).

Also I tried to look up what A24 was and what I found was that I know absolutely nothing about what they have done.

a studio that seems to specialize in making pretentious movies, of the "true art is incomprehensible" variety. while i'm a casual viewer in any case, i coincidentally recorded alot of theirs as part of my Halloween movies last year and didn't like any of them, and above all the others i ended up seeing i genuinely consider 2013's Under the Skin to have been a waste of my time and was the standout worst thing i watched that year, to the point of being one of my most-hated movies. (not that i really bother evaluating fiction like that--even with lots of "classically bad" or "popular to hate" movies my opinion is usually "ehh" at best and i'm more forgiving of them than most, so it's really saying something when i outright state that i HATE a work of fiction)

I never was certain about that "A24 = ass but not good ass more like post-poop sweaty fat man ass" vibe I got from that logo but you've encapsulated it perfectly since I kinda glazed over the studios existence because it is so crappy at movies lmao

674252.jpg

The Wizard of 4th Street is the first of a 9 book series by Simon Hawke from the 90's.

The World has hit and passed Peak Oil, the fossil fuels are almost gone and society is collapsing. In England a desperate man unable to feed his family or heat his home attacks a huge oak on private land in desperation and frees Merlin the Wizard, and magic. Nearly 50 years later the world has rebuilt with magic as the power for the world. Not all locations, power bases are the same as our world. though I cannot remember many details at the mo.

There are schools for magic, artifacts, runestones, 'monsters', etc.

I remember it being a good read, though it might not have aged well. 9 books and 2 comics (series never finished) where made.

Personally, some of my favorite films in recent years have been distributed by A24. Uncut Gems, Everything Everywhere All At Once, and a hadful of others. I don't think Civil War looks all that great, however, but it might end up surprising me.

Personally, some of my favorite films in recent years have been distributed by A24. Uncut Gems, Everything Everywhere All At Once, and a hadful of others. I don't think Civil War looks all that great, however, but it might end up surprising me.
I didn't know that Uncut Gems had anything to do with that studio, I just appreciate it for being an Adam Sandler role where he isn't playing some idealized version of himself as a goofball 'average ' whatever the hell to get going with the plot and instead truly showed he is s very capable actor with a range I always knew that he had but didn't see it until that movie in particular. I love seeing actors doing that type of stuff :3

I didn't know that Uncut Gems had anything to do with that studio, I just appreciate it for being an Adam Sandler role where he isn't playing some idealized version of himself as a goofball 'average ' whatever the hell to get going with the plot and instead truly showed he is s very capable actor with a range I always knew that he had but didn't see it until that movie in particular. I love seeing actors doing that type of stuff :3
They distributed it, but I don't believe they produced it.
And, agreed, it's great to see Sandler give a real performance.

If you want a quick TL, please consider The Creator (2023) which establishes an ATL wherein robots became available starting in the 1950s, and quickly became part of the labor force:

Came across this thread and after looking at the numerous entries, I think these three (that I didn't see) fit the bill.

1) Special Bulletin (1983) - This made-for-television movie (I think it originally aired on NBC) is about the fictional RBS network that in the midst of airing some promo spots, breaks in with a special bulletin. One of their news crews, while filming an unrelated story, gets caught up filming a gun battle between the United States Coast Guard and the crew of a tugboat in Charleston, South Carolina. The news crew and surviving USCG members are taken hostage by the terrorist crew of the tug where they make demands to turn over the nuclear weapon triggers in the area or they will set off a nuke of their own. What follows for the next 90 or so minutes of the running time is profiles on the terrorist crew and the action on the tug. Eventually a team of commandos storm the boat, kill the terrorist crew and attempt to disarm the nuke with less than optimal results. There is a sort of epilogue, but in my opinion it's left open for an alternate timeline.

2) Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970) - One of, if not the first, film about the creation of a supercomputer to handle the national defense that gains sentience and determines that it alone should rule over humanity. Of course those that created it try to shut it down, but Colossus (and it's Soviet counterpart, Guardian) thwart each attempt and eventually resort to detonating an ICBM in the silos in each nation. The combined machines declare themselves as "world control" and promise a glorious human millennium unless it is interfered with. So what does the millennium look like and does Colossus's creator, Dr. Charles Forbin lead a revolution.

This last one is going to seem quite odd, but it does fit. At least I think it does.

3) The Creeping Terror (1964) - A "bad" monster movie that has been compared to Plan 9 From Outer Space, it is about an alien spaceship that lands near a small town in California. On board are a pair of creatures that have to be seen to be believed, one of which leaves the ship. It slowly (and I mean slowly) moves about the countryside eating people headfirst. Typical monster movie tropes abound including an army unit trying to capture/kill the thing; a scientist that wants to study it; and the destruction of both creatures. But not before the ship sends some sort of signal. To other ships or it's homeworld is not said, however it's an opening for some kind of ATL/story.

Truth be told, I've tossed around an idea for a remake of the original followed by a pair of sequels, but haven't pulled the trigger.

If you want a quick TL, please consider The Creator (2023) which establishes an ATL wherein robots became available starting in the 1950s, and quickly became part of the labor force:

The Creator makes a lot more sense if you apply niven's law of macguffins and assume the brain uploading technology is more than just a one-off.
The new asians have gone full cybermen and are discarding their fallible meatbag bodies for robotic ones, since as long as they've got an industrial basis for spare parts and aren't killed by militarily superior foreigners, they're immortal.
Handmaids tale, which takes place in a world where the US just suddenly ceases to exist and turns into a Christian theocratic hellhole that makes Saudi Arabia look like Sweden by comparison. Between the mass exodus of dual citizens and non-US citizens out of the continental US, along with the United States economy suddenly ceasing to exist I have a feeling the world outside of Gilead has been completely turned upside down and conflicts will spring up everywhere around the world with the US suddenly ceasing to exist and becoming a non-factor as Gilead as it is presented in the show has absolutely no means of maintaining the US military (nor does it even have interest in doing so).
The thing about the Handmaidens' Tale world that doesn't get brought up enough, the mass sterility plague. The rest of the world is equally screwed, though they're probably using other solutions.

I imagine three approaches:
  • Get the rare fertile woman to have lots of children. America Gilead theocratically justifies doing so, but I could just as easily imagine a secular society having "childbirth conscription" or simply offering massive amounts of money per child born.
  • Technological solutions. Cloning mammals is decades-old technology, if given immunity from legal consequences of failed experiments, IE, dead babies and a national security budget of "yes", scientists could have the first Vatborn human decanted in a matter of months, the first factories up and running in years. Needless to say, this'll just create a whole new political divide. Trueborn humans are naturally fertile, since they're all born from those rare humans with genetic resistance to the sterility. Vatborn humans, being clones of naturally-sterile humans, aren't. This means servitization. If Trueborn proliferate, eventually the majority of the human population will have the sterility-resistant genes and that destroys the market and opportunity for societal control offered by a monopoly on Vatborn cloning.
  • Human capital theft/offering refuge to foreigners fleeing their own misogynistic and/or technocratic hellhole societies that reproduce at population-sustaining rates.

Last edited:
Did you know that the author of “A Clockwork Orange” visited Leningrad in the late fifties where he was able to see the world of local crime (although then the crime was not so big, and there were more petty hooligans, black marketeers and speculators)? It's just that some details of the original novel show that England is very Sovietized.

mr morbius

Kicked
Król Maciuś Pierwszy (King Mike the First), both the orginal book and the various adaptations

In short : A young kid becomes king of some unnamed Eastern European country in the interwar peroid (or somewhere between 1900 and 1939), tries to reform it democraticly and pass reforms, and manages to beat back an invasion by neighboring powers. However, the devastation of the war, combined with the Neighbors meddling (who want to keep his country weak to continue exploiting it) means he can't fix the Economy. He then tries to create a childrens' Sejm (polish name for Parlament) but fails, and in the chaos the country is invaded again and he's sent into exile onto some remote island.

The Island's King, angry at the war crimes Europeans commited in Africa and now their agression towards a friendly country, decleares war on ,,the Whites". Mike goes through a lot of issues before eventualy returning to his country and Liberating it, but realizing that he can't really reform it. He eventualy grows dissilusioned and dies, and the story repeats.

-----------------------------
So yeah, the geopolitical situation in Eastern Europe is drasticly changed, and not only is that Island Kingdom quite strong to be able to beat the living shit out of multiple European powers but their Racist theories about black people being inferior probably won't last long, and neither will their colonial Empires.

So the trailer for the new video game Kingmaker just came out......definitely ISOT/Throwback ATL inspired.

"In Kingmakers, you take on the role of an elite task force operative sent back in time to war-torn medieval England with a vast arsenal of modern weapons.

The mission: change the course of history and prevent the apocalypse in the future. Kingmakers throws you back in time to the age of all-out medieval warfare. Save the future in an epic action-strategy sandbox featuring thousands of soldiers at the same time. Build your kingdom, grab your gun(s), and lead your armies into massive, real-time simulated battles — solo or in co-op for up to four players."

The narrator in the trailer, if the game is half as good.