Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

Essentially, what endings to Movies, Games, Books, etc. do you think imply interesting Alt-History scenarios?
Sort of like how Independence Day 2 created a scenario out of the aftermath of the first film, or how the Watchmen show furthers the original's TL using the events of the first and showing their effects on history.

The 2018 film Overlord. It's an obscure movie which tells the story of D-Day paratroopers battling Nazi Zombies, which are created through the use of a black tar which is underneath the village the paratroopers are staying at. While the last surviving soldier destroys the laboratory the Nazis are using, the black tar is still there underneath the village, so there's nothing stopping another party from finding the tar and just starting all over again, most likely the Americans since the last-surviving soldier's CO basically asks "Do you know anything about a supposed underground lab?" The soldier lies and says he doesn't, but the Americans can just go sorting through the remnants of the lab to find the Nazis' research (or what's left of it).
Great example and great film.

The recent MonsterVerse films are probably turning into this after several major cities were wrecked by giant monster attacks. It was explicitly shown that Las Vegas and San Francisco were abandoned and reclaimed by nature, and now Boston was flattened by Godzilla going nuclear and Washington DC was flooded by King Ghidorah.

The endings to Inglorious Bast*rds and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

For the first, a U.S.+allies plan that successfully killed Hitler is memorable to the point that it could make Hitler Escaped theories less credible. The Soviets will continue to conquer much of Central Europe and there would probably be an increase in tensions between them and the USA with its allies. Perhaps a type of Operation Unthinkable becomes more plausible with the help of a de-Hitlerized Wehrmacht early on before 1945?

For the second, Sharon Tate's continued existence means that she may be in more acting roles. Now, as to whether or not Polanski still would have done something criminal is unknown.

Jurassic Park's setting implied a lot of worldwide ramifications that Jurassic World has kind of ran with. The level of genetic power the JP-verse has implicitly means that there is no further risk of any species going extinct given cloning methods for millions of years-old DNA have been practically perfected. And of course, the ending of Jurassic World 2 has now caused dinosaurs to become an invasive species in California which should be great for the local humans and wildlife.

Here are some more examples:

Top Gun
I've only seen parts of the movie, but I remember that Tom Cruise's character fights a couple of enemy planes and wins against them.
This should have caused an international crisis, especially since it occurred during the Cold War. Based on what I could find, the enemy was intended to be North Koreans, but it was never explicitly stated. Apparently the movie ends in a positive mood without any realization that the U.S. just got closer to starting WWIII (maybe?).
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...n-was-it-russian-fighteror-north-korean-40782

The Core
It is a favorite movie of mine, no matter how bad it may be. Anyway, when all that information is leaked at the end, how will the population of the planet react? To the new element unobtanium and its use? The knowledge that the U.S. government (accidentally) caused the Earth's core to stop spinning?

Besides shock and relief that the planet won't fry, the people are going to distrust the government even more (obviously) and the conspiracy theorists will claim that we were never in danger. I can imagine the people who died will be viewed upon as heroes and their names immortalized in the history books. The new element may be claimed as government property and a lot of technological advancements will appear.

Mission to Mars
What are Terri, Luke and Phil going to tell NASA about what happened to Jim and their discovery?

If believed, the story is going to pretty much revolutionize how humanity views itself.

NecroVisioN
Mephisto's agreement with Simon Bunker to cancel Armageddon for 100 years during WWI in 1916: What is going to happen once 2016 arrives and who is going to lead the Army of Hell?
Easy Difficulty
Normal Difficulty @11:38
Hard Difficulty

Bright
I finally got to see this Netflix movie. Overally, I thought it was decent movie with a great premise and with some good acting. Despite some piercing questions that destroy the plausibility of history being more or less the same as OTL but with fantasy creatures, I wonder how other countries deal with their own population of non-Human races. Is it similar to that of the USA or are some better or worse?

Last edited:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is a rather clear one by virtue of the film's ending. That said, it DOES raise some questions about what will happen in the alternate Hollywood. For instance, what does Sharon Tate do thereafter? What about Roman Polanski? Do the rest of the Manson family get killed or arrested?

Last edited:
The 1991 John Goodman comedy King Ralph followed a boorish Las Vegas lounge singer whose grandmother had an affair with a British prince. When the entire royal family is wiped out in a freak accident, Ralph is the last living claimant to the throne. Throughout the course of the movie, Ralph befriends a newly crowned African king who wants to create the first African automobile company, fails to negotiate resource rights with the Kingdom of Finland (IOTL a republic), uncovers and suppresses a Stuart restorationist plot, and gives a rousing speech to Parliament before abdicating in favor of another long-lost claimant. Ralph ends the movie as the Duke of Earl, heir-apparent to King Cedric I, and father to the future King Ralph II.

A few things off the top of my head.

1: An oafish American holding the British throne even for such a short time would discredit the monarchy in the eyes of the British people. When Cedric's reign comes to an end in 2013 (based on when Peter O'Toole died IOTL), his potential heirs will be Ralph I, the American who had previously abdicated, and Ralph II, the 22 year old son of a former Vegas lounge singer and his working-class consort. It's possible that there would be a stronger republican movement in the King Ralph universe. Because Ralph's infant son is in the credits as Ralph II, its implied that this movement fails and Ralph II does indeed become king. Instead, I think that both Ralphes' worldliness and humility would further endear them among commoners despite driving a wedge between the Crown and the aristocracy. Scotland and Northern Ireland might not take so kindly, but that's hard to judge because they're completely absent from the movie.

2: As king, Ralph I took a fairly active role in politics. He unilaterally negotiated investment in Zambezi (the fictional African kingdom mentioned above) in a deal that provided factory jobs in England. His son likely grows up in the lap of luxury, but with the working-class sensibilities of his parents. As such, Ralph II will likely take a more active role in politics, particularly to improve the status of blue-collar citizens.

3: The investment in Zambezi will legitimize King Mulambon's reign, implied to be unstable due to how recently he took the throne. Zambezi will succeed in creating an Africa-based automobile company and will be considered one of the great exceptions to the political and economic instabilities faced by many post-colonial states. Anglo-Zambezi relations will likely remain strong. Between the Ralphes' American heritage, spurning of the aristocracy in Britain and abroad (see Finland above), and ties to African states, the United Kingdom will further focus its foreign policy outside of Europe. We'll see an earlier Brexit, probably with a much wider majority voting to leave.

Well, I think that perhaps that somes that seems me would fit in the OP request,(letting aside the movies plot feasibility) their aftermath could be interesting:
An example could be Under Siege, where an US Navy Battleship, not only is successfully boarded and taken but after to take and control the ship, the boarders (their leader), are able to launch two tomahawks in an (revenge/retaliatory) attack to Hawaii. One that only it's averted at last moment while the ship finally it's retaken, by the ship's chef...
Though, (afaik) there aren't any hints about the Movie's aftermath situation, I think that the US and especially the US Navy aside that would be shaken and surely would be rolling heads for what had happened that the Navy would be looking out by blood of any of the terrorist backers.
Another two that, I think that could have a couple of interesting aftermath scenario could be those whose (similar) plots that were turned around of attacks and the capture of the White House (even it's destroyed) either by Americans (White House Down) or foreigners (Olympus Has Fallen) terrorists/mercenaries...
I think that the consequences would be interesting even if the Chinese sense... Because if the US was shown, as unable to avoid/protect both from foreign or intern menaces the White House and the President then, (IMO) this could have greater political and even military consequences and the financial consequences would be quite damaging, too.

Outbreak (1995) - the fictional Motaba virus first appears in the Congo in the 1960s and makes a resurgence in the 1990s and spreads to the US through a monkey smuggled from the region. A northern California town is quarantined and the army appears on the streets as dozens die. It turns out the Army was previously aware of the virus and has a serum to cure victims (though the virus mutated at some point) The Army then sends a bomber to blow up the town and end the virus. The main character forces the bomber off course and it ends up dropping the bomb several miles away and the commanding officer is arrested by subordinates.

I find it hard to believe this could all be covered up with no repercussions. Seeing as a picture of Bill Clinton is shown on the wall earlier in the film, perhaps there is a major backlash leading to him losing the 1996 election. And perhaps a stronger movement to curb the military-industrial complex after the end of the Cold War.

Outbreak (1995) - the fictional Motaba virus first appears in the Congo in the 1960s and makes a resurgence in the 1990s and spreads to the US through a monkey smuggled from the region. A northern California town is quarantined and the army appears on the streets as dozens die. It turns out the Army was previously aware of the virus and has a serum to cure victims (though the virus mutated at some point) The Army then sends a bomber to blow up the town and end the virus. The main character forces the bomber off course and it ends up dropping the bomb several miles away and the commanding officer is arrested by subordinates.

I find it hard to believe this could all be covered up with no repercussions. Seeing as a picture of Bill Clinton is shown on the wall earlier in the film, perhaps there is a major backlash leading to him losing the 1996 election. And perhaps a stronger movement to curb the military-industrial complex after the end of the Cold War.
I've never seen that movie, but now I kinda want to. And also, the repercussions of that are fascinating.

Alt history works based on HG Wells' War of the Worlds aren't exactly unheard of, so what about another book of his, specifically The First Men in the Moon.

Specifically what would be the aftermath of the book, with a habitable Moon inhabited by intelligent insect like Selenites and Cavor now prevented from sending any more messages back to Earth.

No one has mentioned the film The Iron Giant yet? The fact that the titular Giant, capable of withstanding a nuclear explosion, is re-assembling itself in Iceland and is fairly close to finishing the process in spring 1958 should spell major differences for late 20th century history.

The sheer amount of geographical changes affected to the Earth in Steven Universe during the attempted Gem colonisation.

1) A massive crater in Central Russia that has effectively created an eighth ocean reaching down to central asia. The changes alone there are too many to count.
2) The entirety of Eastern Africa has been sheared off and has collided with South America leaving a chain of islands down the coast of Africa and across the south atlantic, more that likely the genealogy of South America is vastly different.
3) Central America is accipelo, precludes any investment in a North Western passage.
4) India is also an accipelo
5) Eastern China and Australia have also been altered

Last edited:
The Core. The US government developed a earthquake generating super weapon called project Destini that nearly destroyed the world. At the end the stereotypical hacker character sends the info to the whole world about this. Coupled with the recent controversial Iraq War I’d imagine the US would take a serious nosedive in international relations because of this.

How about The Descent? The knowledge that another species of humans exist would send shockwaves throughout the scientific community. The cave system they live in would probably be made a nature conservation zone or something.

Also, what about Seven Days in May and/or The Enemy Within...Cause even if in both movies (though in a different way) the attempts were thwarted... I think that in both scenarios aside to damage the political/civilian trust in the American military, I think that could be considered as necessary to relieve from their commands to several of the US armed forces service commandants/high ranking officers...Cause a don't think that the military plot/s could be planned, (imo) without the knowledge about it and/or the willing participation of manny other officers in different and key places of command chain...
Also, I think that in the remake movie, the ' help from Russian friends' would imply that now they would have a great leverage/blackmail material over the US Government...

Netflix's Kingdom implies some significant changes to history thanks to the Korean zombie outbreak though some of that is spoiler territory.
It turns out the plague first was unleashed as a means of countering the 1590's invasion of Korea by Japan which had the effect of allowing Joseon Korea to triumph more clearly than the OTL stalemate and there's also an implication that the Ming may experience/have experienced an outbreak if there's a third season. Which of course would have wider ramifications for East Asian history if not world history.