Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

The idea was more to emphasize how absurd it is that a fanatical follower of an ideology or belief decides that it is his duty to kill the founding father of that belief, although that is another possible interpretation XD
Yeah well the trope "I can do it better because I've got hindsight and I can easily insert myself into "insert ideological linchpin"'s niche and do it better because its my destiny" is pretty much based on narcissism destroying itself in an ouroboros type dealio lol

Years of bitter reflection may have led him to see things through a warped lense. Still an adamant Nazi, but derirding Hitler for mistakes made. As well, assuming he's probably a narcissist (he seems like it), he'd likely be obsessed with the idea that only he could have led the Reich to victory. He's a Nazi, after all, their logic isn't usually all that sound.
He also has the benefit of hindsight, and probably amongst his years reflecting on the failures of Hitler, he's likely devised a plan on how to win the war (as far as he understands it).

Yeah well the trope "I can do it better because I've got hindsight and I can easily insert myself into "insert ideological linchpin"'s niche and do it better because its my destiny"
As well, assuming he's probably a narcissist (he seems like it), he'd likely be obsessed with the idea that only he could have led to victory
He also has the benefit of hindsight, and probably amongst his years reflecting on the failures, he's likely devised a plan on how to win the war
Isnt that the whole basis of the SI genre, come to think of it?

But for some reason they're always obsessed with the 30s and 40s? As if Nazi Germany was the Kingdom of Heaven for them and it's foretold construction couldnt be made in any other time period, just because!
my guess is that Voller was fully aware of the implications of the butterfly effect and that's why he chose (what he thought would be) a much more recent point of divergence to change and why he was clearly horrified at his neo-Nazi allies almost randomly opening fire on the Romans when they ended up a couple thousand years early to where they thought they would be--they could've easily ended up erasing themselves from existence by doing so
Obviously, his plan should've been to travel back to the thirties and sabotage his fellow Nazis.

What I'm suggesting is that Voller wins, in the original timeline Indiana Jones lost and the entire Nazi high command got face-melted by the Ark and changing history so that didn't happen is Voller's attempt at winning the war for his side.

jparker77

Banned
The idea was more to emphasize how absurd it is that a fanatical follower of an ideology or belief decides that it is his duty to kill the founding father of that belief, although that is another possible interpretation XD

In Voller’s opening 1969 scene, he is talking with an African American hotel worker who had participated in the Normandy campaign. Voller explicitly tells him “You didn’t win the war. Hitler lost it.”

Even a true believer could have serious resentment with twenty five years or so of hindsight.

jparker77

Banned
One thing about the movie I did find a bit strange was the US government’s actions.

Voller is clearly someone of immense strategic/national security importance to the U.S. He has his own private security detail, which operates effectively autonomously, but with close CIA support; the CIA is actively helping Voller throughout the first quarter of the movie, and when Voller’s men murder two totally innocent American civilians the main reaction they get is some scolding, although that is what later gets CIA help withdrawn. The president himself is clearly personally aware of Voller.

Once Voller goes rogue, the CIA should be actively attempting to find out what happened and/or hunt Voller down. Instead, that whole subplot just kinda…..vanishes.

Last edited:
I feel Django Unchained and Hateful 8 cover the possibility of an interesting alt Civil War with it apparently starting a year earlier (probably due to Django's actions in the first film).
Another, slightly less obvious deviation is that repeater rifles seem much more common than IRL. Where the type of mooks Django mows down during the Candieland massacre would probably have carried single-shot rifles, percussion-cap shotguns and the like, here they are armed Henry Repeaters in pretty large quantities. Of course, you could just chalk it up to just Candie being a rich guy that can spare the money to arm his goons with fancy new rifles, but even then they are still way too numerous for that.
That would mean the Civil War may have had more in common with World War 1 than what we saw OTL, as commanders would realize the hard way that line formations are suicidal with that kind of firepower. So, rather than march in formation at eachother, people would dig fieldworks.

Another likely consequence would stem from the massacre itself, as such a bloodbath would not go unnoticed by the Slave States and pro-Slavery advocates, meaning that the split would have been even more severe, and even more motivated, than it already was, as they would believe they have to keep the Slaves in check, as setting even one man free led to a mass-murder unseen in America until then, while Abolitionists would point to the massacre being a consequence of Slavery as an institution, and that continuing it would only invite the Slaves to lash out even more. It would be an utter mess.

Last edited:
In Voller’s opening 1969 scene, he is talking with an African American hotel worker who had participated in the Normandy campaign. Voller explicitly tells him “You didn’t win the war. Hitler lost it.”

Even a true believer could have serious resentment with twenty five years or so of hindsight.
What if there's been more than one loop?

Voller already managed to travel back in time to the thirties and warn the nazi high command, including his past self, only to be promptly disbelieved and executed as a defeatist madman. But his past self remembered whatever he'd said and after it all played out as described, believed it.

Repeat. Repeatedly. Many times. With every conceivable variation, Voller never managing to convince Hitler he's legit.
Eventually, Voller has completely lost faith and is just throwing shit at the wall in the hopes something will work.

What if there's been more than one loop?

Voller already managed to travel back in time to the thirties and warn the nazi high command, including his past self, only to be promptly disbelieved and executed as a defeatist madman. But his past self remembered whatever he'd said and after it all played out as described, believed it.

Repeat. Repeatedly. Many times. With every conceivable variation, Voller never managing to convince Hitler he's legit.
Eventually, Voller has completely lost faith and is just throwing shit at the wall in the hopes something will work.
Then Voller is esentially Rika Furude? Hell, that's so damned.

Apparently, in the latest film, The Count, it is discovered that Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet is a 250-year old vampire. Pinochet is angered not about the political prisoners and killings, but the fact that he is remembered as a thief, for stealing funds from the national treasury:

Apparently, in the latest film, The Count, it is discovered that Chilean dictator Augusto Pinochet is a 250-year old vampire. Pinochet is angered not about the political prisoners and killings, but the fact that he is remembered as a thief, for stealing funds from the national treasury:

I must watch this.

I just did a marathon watch of The Hunger Games trilogy again (and I read the books way back in high school so shush people) and technically the world of Panem is future history and the year isn't exactly specified but the world has clearly peaked in regards to sea level rise (from the maps I've seen at least) so that leaves open the lore of what could've happened between the foundation of Panem and the hundreds, maybe thousand years after the United States stopped existing.

big_man_japan_2007_02.jpg
tumblr_nu9u8q751z1qgckmbo1_400.gifv

Big Man Japan is a 2007 movie mockumentary that has super-powered mutant men called Dai-Nipponjin who can grow to giant sizes when fed massive amounts of electricity. These men then take on kaiju and other weird threats to Japan. The early b/w images from the film show a giant called Daisato in pre-WW2 Japan who seems not to have made much of an impression on the war as the movie is mostly about his grandson Masaru Daisatou, the unhappy current Dai-Nipponjin who despite being able to grow to 30m tall has not distinguished himself as a monster fighter.

bigmanjapan-1200x675.jpg

What the movie (from the reviews I have read- Ebert seemed to like it ) do not seem to touch on is the effects of Japan having giants to protect it and where the bizarre kaiju keep coming from. There is an American 'super family' who turn up at the end in sentai-suits to help defeat the last monster.

Last edited: