Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

2010's Four Lions has a couple of alternate history ramifications:

A terrorist plot in the London Marathon is fumbled both by the four terrorists but by the authorities, who not only kill an innocent bystander in a Wookie costume and end up getting multiple hostages killed, but also proceed to deflect blame and arrest the innocent brother of one of the terrorists.

Granted, he was a dick, but does not really deserve to (As implied by the film) be tortured by Egyptian interrogators for a crime they genuinely had barely any connections to.

Also, the ending of the film reveals that two of the main terrorists, whilst they were training in Pakistan, misfired a rocket trying to take out an American drone, and they end up killing Osama Bin Laden a whole year and a couple days prior to when he would actually die, also in Pakistan funnily enough...​

There's an old series called "Seven Days" that covered a secret NSA project where they essentially have a time travel program that's used to prevent all sorts of disastrous events between 1998 and 2001.

(The period between when the series premiered and it was cancelled. My headcanon is that the NSA shut down the program because funding was needed for the War on Terror and because in some way that I haven't figured out yet, the members of the Backstep Program failed in preventing 9/11)

"But Mitry, you said yourself that the basis of the program was that the NSA sent people through time to undo disasters, how is that supposed to affect world history?"

Oh, let's see, for starters we have...

-The 1947 Roswell UFO incident was real (that's where they got the technology to build the time machine).

-The Tunguska meteorite of 1908 was another similar incident (that's where the Russians got the material for their own time travel program from)

-Both the USSR and the United States invested large amounts of effort and resources in building time travel programs. In both cases they decided to use the same ship design. (This stops being so silly when we consider that the Americans apparently went to the lengths of recruiting at least one member of the original Soviet team when the USSR fell.)

-It is possible that this waste was one of the factors of the fall of the USSR.

In incidents covered by the series, and which had sequels anyway (even if the series didn't cover them), we have:

-A far-right cabal led by the United States military, with access to nuclear weapons, which planned to use nuclear blackmail to force the resignation of the President and thereupon launch nuclear war against China. The conspiracy was dismantled, but without a doubt this would have caused a series of purges in the American military commands to prevent more generals from having these kind of ideas.

-Several months later, another high command, in this case a four-star admiral, has to be removed after trying to force nuclear war on China by usurping command of a destroyer to attack a Chinese submarine. This, coupled with the officers mentioned above, is likely to create a sense of "but what kind of nuts do we have in our military" among political and military leaders in the know. It is also very likely that the Chinese are not at all happy because they have shot down a plane and almost sunk a submarine.

-A Russian nuclear submarine sinks in Alaskan waters. Although the catastrophe of spilling the radioactive material was averted, this will in no way help improve relations between Russia and the US.

-A group of Islamist terrorists managed to hack a communications center to transmit false orders for Northern Watch planes to bomb American bases. This will certainly create panic over the fact that supposedly low-tech terrorists possess such abilities.

-Another terrorist hacks into a laser satellite (yes, this US has satellites with laser cannons) and tries to bomb Islamabad in the process. This got undone, but you can't ignore the fact that the US possesses orbital laser weapons in some way, which suggests that they are much more advanced than we are.

-Also, apparently, this United States also possesses molecular analyzers so precise that they can determine a ship's charge at the molecular level from an orbiting satellite. We can imagine the military uses of that technology. Did I mention that NSA security is at the same time so abysmal that somehow the drug cartels know that a time travel program exists?

-A team of American computer scientists develops an AI. This AI then proceeds to disable ALL nuclear weapons in EVERYONE in the world, before attempting to take over Earth. This was not undone (the solution was to turn off the AI AFTER it did this), so we can expect literally every other world power to be FURIOUS at the United States of America for creating such horror. (Presumably by the following week they had managed to reactivate their nukes, but it is doubtful that this would be easily forgotten...)

-The Russians tried to reactivate their time travel program, but the base and all its contents exploded due to a machine failure. The general in charge of the program had previously tried to assassinate the President of Russia with a nuclear weapon (which failed). So the Russians have the same problem as the Americans (crazy with access to chemical and nuclear weapons and delusions of grandeur).

-On at least one occasion, the Nuclear Football was stolen and used to put ALL of America's nuclear missiles into firing mode. Presumably this preparation for what looks like a massive unprovoked nuclear attack by the United States would have been detected by all the other nuclear powers, who would demand detailed explanations of "what the hell are you doing". Even if the launch was aborted at the last minute (literally) this could have ended in total disaster if some other power decided to launch first. This was NOT undone, so presumably the US President had a horrible time trying to explain to the other nations that no, he hadn't gone crazy, and he wasn't trying to "show strength" to push whatever deal he was doing.

Last edited:
I guess 9/11 is included on the Time Travel Hitler Exemption Act
Surely, is the only explaination I had for this. But sounds more absurd if you think Backstep Project avoid at least FOUR WW3, two wars US-China, at least two US-North Korea wars, but apparently they can't avoid a terrorist attack.

Surely, is the only explaination I had for this. But sounds more absurd if you think Backstep Project avoid at least FOUR WW3, but apparently they can't avoid a terrorist attack.
Guess John Titor is canon there
Why didnt they stop the first World Wars as well though? They clearly had started developing the time travel program by the 1900s, it should be within reach to send some agents on a suicidal mission to gun down the parliaments if necessary

Guess John Titor is canon there
Why didnt they stop the first World Wars as well though? They clearly had started developing the time travel program by the 1900s, it should be within reach to send some agents on a suicidal mission to gun down the parliaments if necessary
From what I remember of the series, they only got the program working in April 1998, and in theory there is an "NSA Panel" that decides when to go back in time.

The problem is that they're just a plot device used occasionally to pose threats to the Backstep Program (in one episode they were trying to shut down the show, in another to replace the director, on at least two occasions they refused to authorize "backsteps" - only so that the protagonists go back in time anyway-) so we don't know who they are, how they work, or with what criteria they decide when to go back.

One thing is certain: apparently, neither the President nor the military commanders are informed of the existence of this program.

And they technically had their own John Titor.

So the program is run by independent actors of the NSA who doesnt answer to the american state and are highly corrupt psychopathic mass murderers who refuse to use their history retconner and the only reason disasters are even prevented in the first place is through insubordination if not open rebellion of the travellers who are being fired(more likely silently executed) left & right while those same executives & bureocrats take all the credit for them preventing literal apocalypse

What could go wrong?

So the program is run by independent actors of the NSA who doesnt answer to the american state and are highly corrupt psychopathic mass murderers who refuse to use their history retconner and the only reason disasters are even prevented in the first place is through insubordination if not open rebellion of the travellers who are being fired(more likely silently executed) left & right while those same executives & bureocrats take all the credit for them preventing literal apocalypse

What could go wrong?
To be fair, they can only really go back a maximum of seven days in time because they don't have fuel for longer. (And since it's Element 115, Moscovium, it's impossible to synthesize it in a lab and keep it stable.)

But yes, all of that is technically true.

The mysterious "NSA Panel" doesn't seem to be accountable to anyone, their decision criteria are a mystery, there seems to be no way to convince them to change their minds when they make a decision, they limit their rollback authorizations to cases where they believe "the national security" is threatened... and in many cases it seems they don't even know exactly what the guys in charge of Never Neverland (the base of the show) are doing.
Although the truth is that the NSA Panel are portrayed as obstructionist if not actively evil.

It's even worse if you stop to think that, on average, once every three episodes, it's the Backstep team themselves that have to make the decision to go back in time on their own because there's no one left alive who can give them top authorization.

To top it off, apparently in the 3 years that they were running the program, it never occurred to anyone that it would be a good idea to put on the ship a copy of all the information gathered about the disaster they are supposed to avoid. (Which usually means that, when the voyager is unable to transmit information due to ship failure, all sorts of guesswork has to be done to determine exactly what the mission was, up to and including calling a psychic.)

Last edited:
To be fair, they can only really go back a maximum of seven days in time because they don't have fuel for longer. (And since it's Element 115, Moscovium, it's impossible to synthesize it in a lab and keep it stable.)
Possibly they can't synthesize time machine fuel yet, but the means to do so will be invented at some point in the future and said future will interfere with attempts at changing the timeline leading up to them?

Well JAG and all his spin off aka all the various NCIS series, among others thing post cold war Romania has become a monarchy and there is the nuclear aircraft carrier USS Daniel Webster (implying that he had become president in the past)

It's been a while since I watched The Road to El Dorado but, at the end of the movie, you've got two somewhat dim-witted (but well-meaning) Spaniards and a Mayan woman with more functioning brain cells than the two of them put together, riding into the sunset after having faced (and defeated) Hernán Cortés; if those three were to cross paths with him again, well - he could meet an early and very deserved demise.

It's been a while since I watched The Road to El Dorado but, at the end of the movie, you've got two somewhat dim-witted (but well-meaning) Spaniards and a Mayan woman with more functioning brain cells than the two of them put together, riding into the sunset after having faced (and defeated) Hernán Cortés; if those three were to cross paths with him again, well - he could meet an early and very deserved demise.
I think the fact that El Dorado exists and was isolated from the world somewhere in Mexico would stand out more as alternative history.

So, in theory, the city could be found one day by some plane flying over the valley. The question is if Mexican explorers would find an indigenous enclave that continues to live as before the Spanish conquest of Mexico... or if they would find ruins inhabited by skeletons, because Miguel and Tulio accidentally difused diseases that were fatal to the inhabitants of El Dorado...

Shit that's creepy.

I mean they spent weeks if not over a month in there and nobody died so its possible that the people of El Dorado have some pretty strong anticorps that could give the other mesoamericans the edge they needed if they *ahem* interbreeded before the europeans could get to them

I mean they spent weeks if not over a month in there and nobody died so its possible that the people of El Dorado have some pretty strong anticorps that could give the other mesoamericans the edge they needed if they *ahem* interbreeded before the europeans could get to them
Or alternatively they difunded a new disease when they're contacted by outer world...

Oh fuck. "A Mexican virus" could be a thing...

Only if you want to screw Europe while having Mexico go full Pastwatch as the two spanish brothers accidentaly led to the overthrow of the human sacrificing priesthood of El Dorado's society

May be too late by then, for Mesoamerica - however, for Chel, Miguel and Tulio... I'm not bi nor poly but, those three scream "bisexual, polyamorous relationship" as loud as could've been allowed in a 2000s animated movie. Were either one of the Spaniards to become viceroy after a series of wacky hijinks straight out of a Looney Tunes short, I seriously doubt they'd be willing to enforce Spain-mandated racial casteism in their own domain, if only for the sake of their descendants.

May be but considering how badly they kicked Cortez's ass the conquest of Mexico as we know it probably got butterflied and replaced with whatever they were doing after the movie

Pretty sure they didn't even directly come into conflict with Cortez, or even talk to him after they got caught as stowaways. If anything they more thwarted Cortez's discovery/conquest of El Dorado than actively defeated his army. They sealed the entrance to El Dorado, from memory. Not take on Cortez's army or anything. From Cortez's perspective, it seems like that one villain priest guy whose name I forget was lying about El Dorado. So I don't see why any of Cortez's other escapades would necessarily be butterflied away.

Last edited:
Pretty sure they didn't even directly come into conflict with Cotez, or even talk to him after they got caught as stowaways. If anything they more thwarted Cortez's discovery/conquest of El Dorado than actively defeated his army. They sealed the entrance to El Dorado, from memory. Not take on Cortez's army or anything. From Cortez's perspective, it seems like that one villain priest guy whose name I forget was lying about El Dorado. So I don't see why any of Cortez's other escapades would necessarily be butterflied away.
That’s how I remember it too.