Alt-History Aftermath Scenarios Implied by Media

Countdown to Looking Glass.
A great film.

what happens after the film ends. We've already had a single nuclear exchange and the film implies worse is to come but will that really be the case?
As you said, the film implies things aren't good, but remember that the Soviets are no more desiring to end the world - and themselves - than the US. This may, as the anchor hopes, cause both sides to step back and try to work something out especially as there's been a like-for-like exchange. So I could see it either way.

It's interesting... for a country that made fear of it such a part of its postwar consciousness, the US really didn't make good "what if it goes hot" movies compared to other societies.

1619724345619.jpeg

The White Plague

I don’t remember if the story is future history or alternate history, but just in case, I will mention this novel by Frank Herbert.

Basically, a scientist creates a disease that only kills women as a form of revenge against the IRA.

By the end of the story, nuclear warfare has occurred and the last surviving governments around the world try to protect their remaining women and encourage polyandrous marriage.

View attachment 646672

The White Plague

I don’t remember if the story is future history or alternate history, but just in case, I will mention this novel by Frank Herbert.

Basically, a scientist creates a disease that only kills women as a form of revenge against the IRA.

By the end of the story, nuclear warfare has occurred and the last surviving governments around the world try to protect their remaining women and encourage polyandrous marriage.
A Vlad Tepes award before there were Vlad Tepes awards.

A Vlad Tepes award before there were Vlad Tepes awards.
Interesting award name.

Should be a semi-real award given to writers as an inside joke.

Anyway, I can’t confirm it 100% via a credible source, but apparently, The White Plague was written in the “future” of the year 1996, compared to its 1982 publication.

Here’s another example of althis aftermath scenarios from a book I recently finished reading:

the_wave.jpg

From John Birmingham’s Without Warning

The United States literally disappearing on March 14, 2003 leads to nuclear war between the remaining powers...

Interesting award name.

Should be a semi-real award given to writers as an inside joke.

Anyway, I can’t confirm it 100% via a credible source, but apparently, The White Plague was written in the “future” of the year 1996, compared to its 1982 publication.

Here’s another example of althis aftermath scenarios from a book I recently finished reading:

the_wave.jpg

From John Birmingham’s Without Warning

The United States literally disappearing on March 14, 2003 leads to nuclear war between the remaining powers...
The vast majority of Mexico and Canada would be gone too, along with most of Cuba, the Bahamas, and Bermuda. Guantanamo Bay seems to be unaffected, along with Hawaii and Alaska, plus all the American military bases scattered around the globe. Who would they all owe allegiance to?

Who would they all owe allegiance to?
In countries which were being defended by the US (NATO, Japan, South Korea, etc), apply for refugee status/citizenship in exchange for turning over all your equipment and skills to your new country which is going to need all the help they can get with all the wars that'll break out with the end of the pax americana. With the unstated threat being that if you aren't granted said refugee status/citizenship, you'll still be present and possess all those equipment and skills.

In countries which were being invaded by the US (the middle eastern forever war), change of doctrine, instead of propping up local regimes of Moderate Freedom Fighters™ against the current enemy of the moment until they inevitably become the next enemy of the moment, go full colonial warlord and try to establish an american successor state in the image of however you think such a thing should be run, inevitably coming into conflict with the locals and other groups of former american soldiers with their own ideas on how things should be ran.

In countries which were being defended by the US (NATO, Japan, South Korea, etc), apply for refugee status/citizenship in exchange for turning over all your equipment and skills to your new country which is going to need all the help they can get with all the wars that'll break out with the end of the pax americana. With the unstated threat being that if you aren't granted said refugee status/citizenship, you'll still be present and possess all those equipment and skills.

In countries which were being invaded by the US (the middle eastern forever war), change of doctrine, instead of propping up local regimes of Moderate Freedom Fighters™ against the current enemy of the moment until they inevitably become the next enemy of the moment, go full colonial warlord and try to establish an american successor state in the image of however you think such a thing should be run, inevitably coming into conflict with the locals and other groups of former american soldiers with their own ideas on how things should be ran.
In other words, it's a big mess.

11216-14327-Yesterdajpg

Yesterday depicts an alternate world in which The Beatles never existed thus after that the main character get Isoted/SI to his alternate self and (according to the movie plot, even if it, from an AH POW wouldn't make any sense) given that this world has never heard the Beatles' music before... He get instant fame and praises as a creative genius, becoming in a superstar with worldwide and huge crowds of unconditional fans.
It does bring one cause-and-effect upon watching the movie (other than why Pepsi exists even though Coca-Cola doesn't). Given that the movie depicts John Lennon alive and well, it may lead to the point that David Bowie may possibly be the one killed by Mark Chapman since he (along with John and Yoko) was planning to see The Elephant Man play in New York IOTL (that, and Bowie's name is on Mark's list).

I hate thinking that (mainly because I'm a diehard Bowie fan) but yeah, Yesterday TL might possibly butterfly away Bowie's musical/acting career post December 1980.

Last edited:
It does bring one cause-and-effect upon watching the movie (other than why Pepsi exists even though Coca-Cola doesn't). Given that the movie depicts John Lennon alive and well, it may lead to the point that David Bowie may possibly be the one killed by Mark Chapman since he (along with John and Yoko) was planning to see The Elephant Man play in New York IOTL (that, and Bowie's name is on Mark's list).

I hate thinking that (mainly because I'm a diehard Bowie fan) but yeah, Yesterday TL might possibly butterfly away Bowie's musical/acting career post December 1980.
Then who shows up in this scene?

The Lie Ending of Call of Duty Black Ops Cold War.

Millions are dead in Europe from the explosion of co-opted American neutron bombs, the United States is isolated diplomatically and the Soviet Union is on the precipice of domination of Europe, assuming Gorbachev is overthrown by the rogue spy Perseus.

Ah, the game where the US thought "what if we feel like blowing up Europe someday?".

Did you know Oliver North helped write it?

says that he "assisted in the production". Perhaps not as strong as "writing", but there's a source.

says that he "assisted in the production". Perhaps not as strong as "writing", but there's a source.
That's a different game.

The Joss Whedon series The Nevers (HBO-TV) takes place in 1899, 3 years after the passage of an alien vessel, caused people across London, mainly women to develop superhuman powers, develop advanced steampunk technology, and understand alien beings. I would certainly be interested in what the effect would be on history, such as World War I:

The Joss Whedon series The Nevers (HBO-TV) takes place in 1899, 3 years after the passage of an alien vessel, caused people across London, mainly women to develop superhuman powers, develop advanced steampunk technology, and understand alien beings. I would certainly be interested in what the effect would be on history, such as World War I:

It's like a woke, gendered-version of Roadside Picnic, but in the Victorian Era.

So it's basically steampunk Wildcards?