Alright. So I’m gonna make an alternate history video on What if the Netherlands Never Existed, and I want it to be as accurate as possible.

If anyone has any ideas for shifts that may happen as an outcome of this, let me know. How would it affect other nations and wars in Europe? Who would come out on top in the Indian Ocean without the VOC? (So for example, would Portugal have stayed a mighty force in the longrun, or would the English just kick them out later anyways?).

As for how this happens: Firstly, the Franco-Flemish War never happens, so the awakening of self-identity in the lowlands never takes place. And the Lowlands also never gets unified or partly unified under forces like the Burgundians and Habsburgs in the 1400s-1500s, so there’s no kind of unification or splitting off from the rest of the HRE in any way either. Thus what became the Netherlands and Belgium stays as little more than small lordships, duchies, etc within the HRE, never having anything like their own identity.

So, pitch your ideas for what effects this may have.

The frisians
probably maintain as a ethnicity and language in the eastern neatherlands in the time period your describing without being as assimilated by the Dutch during thier national awakening the frishians also used to inhabit the western neatherlands until they got conquored by the franks. By modern day thier language has recided to the images seen in the link below
(I dont know what thier survival would do but I imadgen they might be able to survive as a regional ethnic force in the region of Frisia in the north eastern neatherlands and north western Germany)

Last edited:
I can't see France not taking over the region between 1450 and 1650, unless another power take it first or if the separate regions confederate themselves. Anyway, I would start not by thinking about how it would affect the exploration of the Indian Ocean, I would start asking what would be the effects of this in the Hundred Years War. Without Netherlands in the picture, would the Burgundians be more commited in their civil war against the Armagnac Faction? Would they be so weakened that this conflict would not even start in the first place? Something in between? I don't have the knowledge to answer this, but I would like if someone more knowledgeable about it could give us some light.