Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 296: Husband and Wife

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 296: Husband and Wife

March, 1648

Henry Sigismund gripped the cup in his free hand-well the one that wasn’t made of something else-and said. “I think Arthur may be regretting pushing for his son to marry a Danish Princess.”

His wife, Anna, stopped what she was doing and looked up at him. “Why?”

“The girl has made quite the scene about George’s carryings on with that Bess woman.” Henry said, he’d been there for one of those carryings on, a most unfortunate business really, even if the girl did have a point.

“I thought George had stopped seeing that woman?” Anna asked.

“As did I, but it appears shortly after the wedding, George found her and started seeing her again. His wife found out and went to Arthur to get him to stop it.” Henry said.

“And?” Anna asked, though her tone indicated she knew exactly what had happened. Arthur was a tough man, but when it came to his sons, he could be oddly weak.

“And nothing happened. Arthur spoke with George and George said he’d stop, but then he continued. And now the girl is threatening to go away, that she’s pregnant doesn’t help.” Henry said.

Anna’s eyes widened, the pregnancy was not that well known, Henry shouldn’t have mentioned it himself, but, he had now, and he supposed there was nothing more to it than that. “So, what’s going to happen?” His wife asked.

Henry shrugged. “I think Arthur will speak with George, and try and convince him, otherwise he will need to speak with the King.”

“And we both know how the King will handle it.” Anna said.

They did, the King would have no qualms about having the girl removed. If he thought this Bess woman was endangering the alliance with Denmark, she’d disappear for a time and never be heard from again. Henry knew that that was what the King had done with Edward-Henry’s youngest brother- ‘s mistress a few years ago. Edward had never spoken of it, but it was suspected.

“We won’t face such problems when it comes time to arrange our own children’s marriages will we?” Anna asked.

Now that was something Henry hadn’t thought about properly. Their eldest was soon to be fifteen, too young to be married. Even if their eldest, Henry, had started showing interest in women. “I don’t think so no.”

“Good.” Anna replied sounding relieved.

“I think the focus will very much be on Arthur’s children going forward.” Henry said. At least he hoped so. He didn’t particularly want his children married to far flung places simply for political benefit or to serve as a proxy for some other power.

“So, we could if we wanted to, make domestic marriages for them?” Anna asked.

“I think so.” Henry said, then he asked. “Why, do you have someone in mind?” He knew his wife; he knew she was always looking for someone to keep their son occupied.

“I might do.” Anna admitted.

Henry snorted. “Who?”

“Anne Cecil.” Anna replied.

“The Earl of Exeter’s daughter?” Henry asked.

“Yes.” Anna said.

Henry considered this, there had been a scandal involving the Earl’s cousin a few years ago, Henry couldn’t remember the details, but the man’s grandfather and father had both gone into obscurity for a time. The new Earl had ascended to the peerage eight years ago, and had returned to court, a decent man if nothing special. The man’s wife was one of Anna’s ladies though.

“They’ve known each other since they were children.” Anna said as if taking his silence for disapproval. “And they like one another.”

“That is a good starting point.” Henry agreed.

“But?” Anna asked.

“But I wonder if it might be better to look elsewhere.” Henry said. He knew what people said about the Cecils now, he didn’t want that being attached to his son.

“Where would you look?” His wife asked.

Henry shrugged. “I don’t know, but we have time. We don’t need to marry our son off immediately, do we?” At least not yet anyway. They might have to if things between George and his wife got worse. Then the King might wish to secure the extra branches.

Anna huffed. “I suppose you are right.”

Henry snorted and cupped his wife’s chin. “We can let the two of them meet at least. See what they make of one another.” That brought a smile to Anna’s face.

Chapter 297: Quarrels

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 297: Quarrels

November, 1648

Arthur took the seat whilst making his son remain standing.

He had not wanted to have this conversation, especially a few days after he’d become a grandfather for the first time, but it seemed that the boy had not grown up. Arthur stared at his son and remembered the first time that he’d held him. He’d felt such a rush of affection for the boy that he’d barely known what to do. He had sworn then that he’d protect him always, even if that meant from himself.

He took a deep breath, his father’s words echoing in his ears. The King had been very clear about this, and Arthur was as well. It was simply unacceptable.

“You are a fool.” Arthur said, looking right at his son.

“Father?” George replied blinking uncertainly.

“You are a fool and an idiot, or moving dangerously close to being one.” Arthur repeated. His son went to speak so Arthur held up a hand. “You should have left the Bess woman when you got married.”

His daughter in law had given birth to a girl, a girl named for the Queen, and they’d all been delighted, but George hadn’t said anything, instead within hours he’d gone to the house where he kept the Bess woman and stayed there until Arthur had sent someone to drag him out.

“I love her.” George said.

Arthur snorted. “Love? You are too young to know what love is, George.”

“That’s not true!” George protested. “My heart quickens when I am around her and when I think of her, she makes me smile and she makes me laugh. All the songs say that is what love is.”

Those damned songs. Arthur thought to himself. If he ever got the chance, he’d have those singers skinned alive, putting idiotic thoughts into young people’s heads.

“Love is not just that.” Arthur said softly. “Love is arguing with someone fiercely and still speaking to them afterwards, and listening to what they have to say and valuing their opinion. Love is seeing them make a complete fool of themselves and still being there for them. Love is a person seeing you at your worst and thinking that you are still worth it. Love is working together to become better people with each other.”

That’s what his marriage and his parents’ marriage had taught him.

“Is that what you feel when you’re with this Bess?” He asked his son.

George shifted from one foot to the next, evidently unsure of how to reply. “I…I…”

“It isn’t, is it?” Arthur asked. “Have you ever argued with her?”

“No, we never argue.” George said. “But with Anne Catherine all I do is argue.”

Arthur snorted. “What do you do when you’re with Bess?” He had a fair idea, but he wanted his son to say it out loud, maybe the boy would realise how foolish it was.

“We… we make love.” George answered. “There isn’t a lot of talking.”

Arthur nodded. “And yet you think you love her?”

His son puffed up then as if getting ready to argue before his shoulders slumped. “That isn’t love is it?”

“Not at all, that is lust.” Arthur replied.

His son sighed and looked as he had done when he’d been a little boy years ago and gotten into trouble. Arthur wanted to reassure him that all would be well, but he knew that that would only be true if the boy himself sorted himself out. “What do I do?” His son asked.

“You must talk with your wife.” Arthur said. “Stop running away from that conversation. You are a man not a coward. Speak with her, hear her out, and then put your view forward. See what happens.”

“Will she want to do that?” George asked.

If her words to Marie Elisabeth are any indication she will. Arthur thought to himself, aloud he only said. “You will only know what your wife wants if you try and speak with her.”

His son swallowed and then nodded before asking. “What about Bess?”

“Don’t worry about her.” Arthur said. “I’ll make sure she’s provided for.” The woman wouldn’t see his son again. Indeed, Arthur had already found her husband, a handsome man who was wealthy and lived in Jamaica. She’d never think about his son again.

His son nodded. “Thank you, father.”

Arthur merely smiled. He hoped his son sorted himself out. The dynasty needed that.

If I was Edward and I suspected something happened to the woman who I loved by the hand of the king, that king would end misteriously breaking both of his legs, father or not.

One would hope that Bess is not a bad person. George sounds like he has found someone he likes indeed.

Would George have to move to Denmark?

Good luck on the Bank of Spain Cristobal, that does not sound like a fun task!

Felipe Jr. might learn a lot more about his Kingdom than his father seems to know from going out and seeing it/meeting his people.

I guess Henry will run into the 'Firm' if he trying to take a mistress then? How very different is the British monarchy to the European ones!

"Arthur spoke with George and George said he’d stop, but then he continued." - whoops!

i hope Henry and Anne Cecil get to marry and be happy- be nice if someone got to marry someone they love instead of for politics.

"Arthur had already found her husband, a handsome man who was wealthy and lived in Jamaica" - at least Arthur didn't just make her vanish into a bog. Decent chap. Hope Bess makes it ok.

Get things sorted with your wife George. Anne Catherine does not deserve this treatment. Besides you don't know if she will enjoy the same fun you have with Bess until you talk to her.

Fun chapters there.

VVD0D95

Banned
If I was Edward and I suspected something happened to the woman who I loved by the hand of the king, that king would end misteriously breaking both of his legs, father or not.
And be executed for treason and regicide.
Who s Edward?
Henry’s youngest son.
One would hope that Bess is not a bad person. George sounds like he has found someone he likes indeed.

Would George have to move to Denmark?

Good luck on the Bank of Spain Cristobal, that does not sound like a fun task!

Felipe Jr. might learn a lot more about his Kingdom than his father seems to know from going out and seeing it/meeting his people.

I guess Henry will run into the 'Firm' if he trying to take a mistress then? How very different is the British monarchy to the European ones!

"Arthur spoke with George and George said he’d stop, but then he continued." - whoops!

i hope Henry and Anne Cecil get to marry and be happy- be nice if someone got to marry someone they love instead of for politics.

"Arthur had already found her husband, a handsome man who was wealthy and lived in Jamaica" - at least Arthur didn't just make her vanish into a bog. Decent chap. Hope Bess makes it ok.

Get things sorted with your wife George. Anne Catherine does not deserve this treatment. Besides you don't know if she will enjoy the same fun you have with Bess until you talk to her.

Fun chapters there.
Cheers :) and I deed George needs to pull his head out