Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Oh indeed, and possible, very possible, depending on how Union Talks progress
I hope Henry can bring his plans of getting Robert out back into action. Or Henry gets Villiers into the King’s good graces and Villiers is able to influence the King in Henry’s interest.

Villiers May later be conniving and scheming. But now he would just do whatever Henry tells him to.
He may become conniving and scheming in the future, but as long as he keeps the best interest of the Kingdoms of England and Scotland in mind when he is advancing his position, then carry on. Scheming is only a bad thing when it advances the interests of a rival nation.

He may become conniving and scheming in the future, but as long as he keeps the best interest of the Kingdoms of England and Scotland in mind when he is advancing his position, then carry on. Scheming is only a bad thing when it advances the interests of a rival nation.
Hopefully George schemes for England and does not become the nationally hated man in OTL.

I know that this is a little too late but in the celebration chapter, it was mentioned that the Earl of Bedford gave an impractical gift. What was the gift?

The Union debate will be interesting - Scotland naturally won't want to be dominated, but on the other hand England won't accept being told what to do by a clearly weaker power.

I think that moving the capital from London, as has been mentioned in this thread before, is an impossibility by this point in time. London is simply too developed in comparison to any other cities, especially cities further north, and has too much history of government for England to be willing to abandon it as their centre of government.

I think that Scotland may have more seats than OTL, but over time with the abolishment of rotten boroughs (still pretty much inevitable even TTL) it will normalise to a population-proportionate system that will likely be pretty much OTL's distribution. With no desire to enter modern politics, I will simply say that it is very hard to make the UK a union of equals purely because of demographic realities which will only get worse following the coming agricultural and industrial revolutions.

Last edited:

VVD0D95

Banned
I know that this is a little too late but in the celebration chapter, it was mentioned that the Earl of Bedford gave an impractical gift. What was the gift?
You’ll see soon ;)
The Union debate will be interesting - Scotland naturally won't want to be dominated, but on the other hand England won't accept being told what to do by a clearly weaker power.

I think that moving the capital from London, as has been mentioned in this thread before, is an impossibility by this point in time. London is simply too developed in comparison to any other cities, especially cities further north, and has too much history of government for England to be willing to abandon it as their centre of government.

I think that Scotland may have more seats than OTL, but over time with the abolishment of rotten boroughs (still pretty much inevitable even TTL) it will normalise to a population-proportionate system that will likely be pretty much OTL's dispute. With no desire to enter modern politics, I will simply say that it is very hard to make the UK a union of equals purely because of demographic realities which will only get worse following the coming agricultural and industrial revolutions.
indeed this is true, though Scottish merchants getting tariff free access to English markets is a wet dream, as is getting generous subsidies if viable

I can imagine Bedford giving the bewildered parents a pistol saying “ when the little tyke gets old enough, give him this.”
Although an avid hunter, I don’t believe he would give a pistol as his father, Sir Francis Russell, Lord Russell, was shot and killed at a meeting on the Scottish border on 27 July 1585.
Plus although unusable until the Prince reaches an appropriate age, a pistol isn’t an impractical gift.
He’s also has to be careful in the sense that it’s not seen as an insult especially with his links to the 1601 rebellion still fresh in people’s memories.
Impractical is a very interesting word to use.

I must say, you truly know how to write the characters! At least in a way I always thought them to be :) James and Anne especially are how I’d imagine them. However, if Anna Maria dies we riot! ;)

Chapter 58: Weddings

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 58: Weddings

June, 1611

The music started to play and as William led her around the floor, Arbella found herself content. Truly content, in a way she hadn’t been for years. She was a married woman now. Married the love of her life, and she was happy. She looked at William and smiled. He smiled back at her and twirled her.

The ceremony had been absolutely wonderful. The Archbishop of Canterbury had presided over it, and the Chapel Royal of Whitehall had glistened in the sunlight. The King and Queen and their family had been in attendance and oh it had been wonderful. She had been worried that she wouldn’t be able to get the words out, but she had, and she had cried, and William had smiled and kissed her tears away.

The King had added something special for the wedding as well, announcing in the morning before the ceremony that not only had he created William’s grandfather Duke of Somerset, he’d also created William Earl of Glamorgan and awarded him property worth £30,000. Which put them into the upper echelons of the middle nobility, something that Arbella was incredibly grateful for.

She came in from the twirl and William asked her. “What are you thinking about?”

Arbella didn’t even have to think twice. “How happy I am to be married to you.”

Her heart quickened at the sight of William’s grin. “I was just thinking that as well.” He pulled her close and whispered. “I can’t wait for tonight.”

Arbella flushed. “Neither can I.” The chance to truly love her husband without fear of being caught was thrilling. She was impatient for the dancing and the feasting to be over so that they could explore one another, properly.

William grinned at her. “You know, I was reading something this morning.” Arbella moved in closer.

“What were you reading?” She asked.

“A book from India, apparently it details various ways in which you can make love making even more pleasurable.” William whispered.

Arbella grinned. “I think you’ll have to show me this book.” She leaned forward and pressed a very chaste kiss to his lips before the music changed. As per custom, they changed partners, William started dancing with the Queen, and Arbella found herself dancing with her cousin.

“You are glowing, cousin.” The King said. She could smell the alcohol on his breath, and whilst that might normally make her wince in disgust, today she’d let it pass, the King had granted her, her deepest wish.

“Thank you, Your Majesty.” Arbella replied. “I am happy.”

“Good.” The King said. “Have you and young William decided where you are going?”

“Sire?” Arbella asked.

“On your trip to celebrate your marriage, we presume you are going somewhere?” The King replied. They turned from one another before turning back in.

“Ah, well, William wants to go and visit the property that Your Majesty was kind enough to grant him, and get to know the tenants and others who occupy our land. He then wants to visit some of the other landholdings that the family has along the border.” Arbella said. She didn’t mind that, she wanted to see somewhere that wasn’t London and if that meant going to Wales, then so be it.

“Good, that is good.” The King said. The music changed and they exchanged partners once more. The King dancing with his daughter in law, and Arbella with the Prince of Wales.

“Congratulations on your wedding, cousin.” The Prince of Wales said, towering over her.

“Thank you, Your Highness. Congratulations on the birth of your son.” Arbella replied.

The Prince of Wales smiled. “I hope you are enjoying the festivities.”

“I am, Sir, thank you.” Arbella replied.

“Good. I had briefly suggested that we hold a masque, but now, having seen how everyone is responding I am glad that that didn’t go through.” The Prince said.

“A shame, Your Highness, I quite enjoyed the last masque.” Arbella replied. It was true, she had done. She had liked the subtle implications that had been put in it, and seeing the Prince riding a horse in the palace grounds, with such ease and such control had been inspiring. Even William had commented that the Prince looked like a warrior.

The Prince smiled at her. “Maybe next time, cousin.”

“I would like that.” Arbella said, as the music changed once more and she found herself dancing with Lord Rochester. The man was clean shaven, and newly readmitted into the King’s favour. He seemed to be drunk with that.

“Congratulations Lady Glamorgan.” Rochester said. “I am most happy for you.”

“Thank you, Lord Rochester.” Arbella said cautiously, she never knew what to make of Rochester.

Rochester nodded then said something quite unexpected. “Perhaps now you will be sated.”

“I’m sorry?” Arbella replied confused, what did he mean?

“You are married to your toy, so perhaps now you will stop pestering the King.” Rochester said.

Arbella did not like the man’s tone and she bristled at his words. “I have not been pestering the King.” She replied.

Rochester snorted. “If that’s what you want to call it, that’s what you’ll call it.”

“Watch your tone, Rochester.” Arbella snapped. “You may be the King’s favourite, but I am his blood.”

Rochester didn’t flinch instead he snarled. “And what good will that do you when I tell him about your meetings with Raleigh?”

Arbella paused halfway through a step in the dance. “What are you talking about?” She hadn’t been to see Raleigh in years, not since it had become clear the King would never restore him to favour.

Rochester grinned. “You know exactly what I’m talking about, Lady Glamorgan. So, I would watch your tone with me.”

Arbella said nothing, the dance changed again, and so, Rochester disappeared, and she found herself dancing with William again. He frowned as he looked at her. “Are you well, my love?”

Arbella blinked and looked at him. “I do not like Rochester.” She said simply.

William laughed. “Nobody does, he’s an absolute cur.”

“The King does.” Arbella pointed out.

“Well, if the Prince of Wales has his way, the King will also come to hate Rochester.” William said confidently.

Arbella glanced from her husband to a corner in the room where the Prince was talking to a dashing young man, with a slight moustache and said. “I hope you’re right, my love, for all our sakes.”

It does indeed
So Carr just threatened James’s cousin who James seems rather fond of. Does this help turn James against Carr?

Last edited: