Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

True, depends, Sarah Fraser mentions in her bio of henry that henri iv ane james were discussing a marriage between their eldest two, whilst henri was apparently also in talks with savoy
Elisabeth was engaged in Savoy, first to Victor Amadeus’ older brother, then she was replaced by her sister Christine as fiancée of Victor Amadeus when Spain insisted in having the eldest princess of France as their future Queen (meaning who she was engaged to the new heir of Savoy at her father’s death).

VVD0D95

Banned
Elisabeth was engaged in Savoy, first to Victor Amadeus’ older brother, then she was replaced by her sister Christine as fiancée of Victor Amadeus when Spain insisted in having the eldest princess of France as their future Queen (meaning who she was engaged to the new heir of Savoy at her father’s death).
Fair
Interesting look into the Prince’s inner circle there and gives us an idea of who he is.
Aye, some will be big players soon :)

Chapter 4: Queen

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 4: Queen​

March, 1610

Anne looked around the grand banqueting room of the Palace of Whitehall and sighed. The one time that James had actually listened to her and she couldn’t enjoy it. Her nephew, Frederick Ulrich, Hereditary Prince of Brunswick Luneburg had come on a state visit on behalf of his father-her brother in law-and as such, James had deigned to use the banqueting room of the Palace to formally welcome him. He had spared no expense either. The fountains out in the courtyard leading to the banqueting room cost close to an ‘arm and a leg’ as her son Henry had put it when they’d been discussing this entire evening.

The meals had been served and music was playing, and people were dancing, but as the hostess, Anne had to remain seated at the High Table, especially as her husband was off doing God alone knew what with Robert Carr and their associates. Carr, that man was nothing but trouble, and despite the argument she had had with her husband about him before Parliament had been recalled, he remained stuck to her husband’s side as he ever had been. Indeed, his influence seemed to grow ever more prevalent. James had mentioned that he was considering naming Carr’s arrogant friend, Thomas Overbury to be Charles’ secretary. Anne had vehemently protested, but James had ignored her. It had only been when Henry had learned about it and told James in no uncertain terms what he’d do to Overbury if the man came anywhere near his younger brother, that James had relented.

James might not pay attention to her, but he still loved their eldest son, and that was good enough for her, for now.

She glanced to her right, ignored the vacant chair where her husband was supposed to be and saw her nephew, Frederick, examining his wine cup. Her nephew was a tall young man, with a bristly moustache guarding his upper lip, and a strong chin. He also had eyes that constantly seemed as though they were laughing. He wasn’t handsome by most measures, but he had a good heart. That Anne knew. And that was why she leaned to her right and called out in French. “Nephew, stop examining your cup and come and speak with me.”

Frederick looked up from his cup and smiled at her, he got up from his chair and walked toward her, hovering over her. “My apologies, Your Majesty, I did not mean to be rude.”

Anne waved a hand dismissively. “Nonsense, you were not being rude. Though, I must ask, how was your journey? We did not have enough time before the dinner to speak.” That had been deliberate on her husband’s part she assumed. The moment Frederick had arrived from St James-where he was staying with Henry-her husband had pulled him off to one of the other chambers to talk ‘business.’ What that business was she had no idea. Not even Henry knew, because he had not been invited. Only the King and Carr and her nephew had attended.

Her nephew smiled. “It was good, thank you, Your Majesty. Travelling via Bremen is always an interesting experience. Their ships are magnificent.”

Anne nodded. Bremen, was an interesting place, Anne had visited there once, when she had been very small. “And what do you plan on doing whilst you are here?”

How long her nephew intended to stay in England, she didn’t know. He hadn’t said anything, nor had James, and her sister Elizabeth hadn’t said anything either. Frederick shifted where he stood and said. “For a month or two, Your Majesty. I wish to explore this great Kingdom of yours.”

Anne smiled. “Of course. There are a few places that you should most definitely visit if you get the opportunity.”

“I am listening.” Her nephew replied.

Anne smiled. “Well, firstly you must visit Oxford and Cambridge. They are two of the shining lights of this great Kingdom. There you will learn things that they will never show you back in Brunswick or elsewhere for that matter. Then from there you must visit Portsmouth, it has some of the best food and some of the most intriguing naval designs that you will ever see. And from there, I would recommend a visit to Cornwall. Indeed, I believe Henry intends on visiting Cornwall soon. You two should go together.”

Her nephew smiled. “Thank you, Your Majesty, I will make sure to visit these places whilst I am here.” Her nephew opened his mouth as if to say something then shut it.

Anne continued. “And whilst you are here, you might as well get talking with our Elizabeth.”

Frederick’s eyebrows rose up at that. “Your Majesty?” He asked, sounding as if he’d misheard her.

Anne smiled. “Do not look so shocked, Frederick. You are young, so is she, you two would get on well together.” Whether they actually would or not she didn’t know, but if they did, all the better. She didn’t want her daughter married to a son of a drunkard.

“I…” Frederick replied, sounding unsure of himself.

Anne looked away from her nephew, and down the hall to where Elizabeth was talking with her brother. She turned back, and looked at her nephew. “Go, ask her to dance.”

Her nephew clearly took it as a command for he bowed, and then walked off. Anne watched as he walked down the steps onto the floor and then as he walked over to Elizabeth and Henry. She watched as he said something to Henry who smiled at him, clapped him on the shoulder and then walked away. She then watched as Frederick asked Elizabeth to dance. Her daughter, who at fourteen was the most beautiful lady at court, smiled and took his hand, and led him onto the floor properly, where a space was made and they began to dance.

“You did that, didn’t you?” A voice to her left asked, in English.

Anne turned around and saw her son towering over her, his skin slightly flushed.

“And what if I did?” She asked innocently.

Where James would scowl at her, Henry merely laughed. “You know that father isn’t going to be happy if something comes of this?”

Anne laughed as well. “He can be as unhappy as he likes. Brunswick is not a bad marriage.”

“Brunswick isn’t an Electorate or the leader of the Protestant Union.” Henry pointed out.

Anne sighed. “And yet, the Elector Palatine has a problem with his drink and with his morals. That is not something I want Elizabeth to have to experience.”

Henry frowned at her. “The problems of the father are not necessarily going to become the problems of the son.”

Anne took her son’s hand in her own. “Of course not.” She knew Henry was terrified of becoming like James, reliant on a certain group of favourites, spending lavishly on them and doing God alone knew what else. The fact he hadn’t yet had his inauguration into manhood was another thing that concerned him she knew. After all, James hadn’t had his until perhaps a year before they’d been married.

Henry sighed and then looked at his father’s vacant seat, and then at her. She got what he wanted and so she nodded. A few moments later, Henry pulled the chair back and sat down in it. A servant hurried to help him pull the chair in.

Once he was seated, he looked at her and asked. “Where is the King?”

“With Carr.” Anne said, trying and failing to keep the bitterness out of her tone.

Her son exhaled. “Why?”

She didn’t need him to elaborate on what he meant. She knew just as well. Why was the King so close to Carr? Why did he prefer Carr’s company to theirs? Why? Why? These were questions that Anne had gone over herself countless times. She couldn’t come up with a reasonable answer. “I do not know.” Was all she said.

“We must remove him.” Henry said. “I’ve heard from my friends in the Commons, they intend to vote for the Great Contract soon, but the one thing that is holding them back is Carr. If they vote for the Contract, they want to know nothing will go to him.”

“And of course, James being James that is not guaranteed.” Anne agreed.

Henry nodded. “So, what do we do?”

Anne sighed. “I do not know.” At the look of despair that overcame her eldest son, she felt her heart break. She wished with all her heart that she could provide an answer for him, but she couldn’t. She just couldn’t and she didn’t know how to.

Henry rolled his shoulders then and said. “No matter, I will think of something. And when I do, I will make sure that Carr falls as far as one possibly can.”

Anne nodded. “I have no doubt that you will, my dear.” She saw Henry’s jaw tighten then as his eyes turned from her to the hall. She looked to the hall and saw the King and Carr walking back in. She looked back at Henry and said. “Henry.” Her son looked at her. “Just be careful that this does not consume you.”

“I will.” Her son promised.

Last edited:
Lovely chapter - it's nice to see Anne surrounded by men who love and respect her, even if her husband isn't one of them. And yay for Elizabeth (although you did call her Anne on one occasion, during the discussion of the Palatine match...)

As ever, looking forward to more!

VVD0D95

Banned
Lovely chapter - it's nice to see Anne surrounded by men who love and respect her, even if her husband isn't one of them. And yay for Elizabeth (although you did call her Anne on one occasion, during the discussion of the Palatine match...)

As ever, looking forward to more!

Ahh glad you liked it! And ahh bugger, thought I'd caught that, thanks for pointing it out :)

Something needs to happen to Carr - short trip down some stairs maybe?

I like the Queen here, and Henry seems sensible.

Your formatting is a bit spaced out this chapter btw.

VVD0D95

Banned
Something needs to happen to Carr - short trip down some stairs maybe?

I like the Queen here, and Henry seems sensible.

Your formatting is a bit spaced out this chapter btw.

Something indeed.

And Anne's definitely got some fight in her.

And oh? That's weird, when I copied it in, it seemed fine. I'll have a look and see :)

Chapter 5: Carr

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 5: Carr

April, 1610

Robert Carr shifted slightly in his chair. He was reading over some paperwork that the King had given to him and he was finding it rather hard to concentrate. All he could think about was what the King had said to him at the feast that had been held to welcome the Hereditary Prince of Brunswick to London. The King had told him that after Prince Henry’s investiture as Prince of Wales, he, Robert, would be created a Viscount in the English Peerage. Not only that but that the King would be granting him properties in and around Rochester to the value of £3000, in return for Robert handing over two of the offices the King had granted him, was something Robert found mind boggling.

Robert had no qualms about handing over two of the minor offices the King had granted him, their total worth was only about £500, the reward he was getting for doing so was far more than he had thought. But then, the King was a generous man, when he wanted to be, and Robert was not going to say no. Of course, with that wealth, Robert knew he’d make more enemies than friends, and as such, he would need to move ever closer to the Howards, the Earl of Suffolk in particular. Which was going to leave a bad taste in his mouth. But he could live with it.

“What are you thinking about?” A harsh voice asked.

Robert looked up and saw his friend and secretary, Thomas Overbury looking at him intently. Robert sighed. “What the King told me.”

“About the property he’s giving you?” Thomas asked.

“Yes.” Robert answered. “It’s going to make me a very rich man.”

Thomas nodded. “But it’s also going to make you enemies. Have you thought about how you’re going to avert that little disaster?”

“I need to get closer to the Howards.” Robert said, his friend frowned and Robert ploughed on. “I know it’s not going to be good, but it needs to be done. They’re the ones who have the King’s ear, and they are dominant in a lot of the southern Lieutenancies. Hells, Thomas, the Earl of Suffolk agreed to have a game of that idiotic foot-ball played in the park outside his house between the English and Italian merchants on Saturday.”[1]

“Yes, but he got criticised by the clergy for allowing that, and the King himself only consented because Prince Henry was insistent on allowing it to happen.” Thomas countered.

Robert sighed. “So, what do you suggest I do?”

“You’ve got to find some other way of ensuring that you don’t get more enemies.” Thomas said. “I’d go for pushing hard for the Palatine match.”

“You would?” Robert asked surprised. He had thought his friend didn’t care about such things.

“I would.” Thomas agreed.

“Why?” Robert asked.

“Because Prince Henry and the Queen seem to be leaning toward Brunswick, as does Salisbury. The mood amongst the merchant class is that Brunswick would be disastrous for their trade, whilst the Palatine with its ties to the Rhine is exactly what England needs. If you throw your weight behind the Palatine match, you will show them that you have your finger on the pulse. And if they think that, then they will tell their MPs and their patrons in the Lords.” Thomas said.

“Which will make it far harder for the Lords to try and do anything towards me.” Robert said, realising what his friend was getting at. Despite being the most powerful men in the realm, the Lords were oddly sensitive to the views of the merchant community.

“Exactly.” Thomas said smiling.

“How long is Brunswick staying here for?” Robert asked. He was sure the King had told him, but he’d been quite drunk at the welcoming feast, so couldn’t remember.

“Nobody is quite sure.” Thomas said. “Could be another month, could be another three. He’s currently in Cornwall, with Prince Henry, examining some of the tin mines.”

“How fun.” Robert said.

“Indeed. But the issue is, is that he’s been courting Princess Elizabeth, and it seems that she has taken a liking to him. That needs to be changed.” Thomas insisted.

“And the only way for that to change is for the Electoral Prince of the Palatine to either come here or to write to her.” Robert said.

“Which one is the King more likely to agree to?” Thomas asked.

“He’s going to be better if they write to one another. But the question is how to get him to suggest it to his daughter or to the Electoral Prince.” Robert mused out loud. The King for all his good qualities was not someone who always thought on his feet. There was a lot of flailing around.

“Put the idea into Prince Henry’s head.” Thomas suggested.

Robert snorted. “How?” Prince Henry didn’t exactly like him.

“Your cousin, Lord Kerr is a noted military man, isn’t he?” Thomas asked.

“Yes, for keeping control over the borderers.” Robert said, which was no easy feat, given how strife seemed to be in their blood.

“Well, Prince Henry’s got a thing for military men, and given he seems to be intrigued by Scotland, we could spin it that way.” Thomas said.

“You mean get my cousin to speak with the Prince, get him to talk to him, impress him and then casually suggest that the Palatine shares more of interest with England than Brunswick?” Robert asked.

“Yes.” Thomas answered. “And, then whilst that’s being done, get your cousin to casually suggest that the Princess and the Electoral Prince start writing to one another. The King will have the letters examined before they reach the Princess, therefore he can assess the character of the Prince, and Prince Henry can also see what sort of man the Electoral Prince is , as well as the benefits and negatives.”

“Thus, making Prince Henry feel as if he’s got some influence, whilst also putting the King into a technical position of control.” Robert mused.

“Exactly.” Thomas replied.

Robert thought on this. It could work. But would Prince Henry put two and two together, and if he did, what then?

It seemed that Thomas had caught onto what he was thinking, for he quickly said. “You don’t have to be the one to make the introduction. Get the King to invite your cousin down and then let nature take it’s course.”

“Are you sure?” Robert asked. He wasn’t sure what the King made of his cousin. The man had only mentioned him once.

“Yes.” Thomas said. “Trust me.”

Robert took a breath and then said. “Very well.” After all, Thomas hadn’t been wrong before now.

“But then there’s another issue.” Thomas said.

“Which is what?” Robert asked.

“The Howards, and the Queen.” Thomas replied.

“I’d think they’re two separate issues. The Queen doesn’t particularly like the Howards.” Robert said. At least, he thought she didn’t.

“Not right now no, but the Queen will push for her nephew to get Princess Elizabeth, and the Howards might start supporting such a move if they suspect they’re being outplayed.” Thomas said.

“So, I do have to court them?” Robert asked, with some frustration. This was turning out to be more of a mess than he’d hoped for.

“No, I don’t think you do. At least not properly.” Thomas replied.

“What do you mean?” Robert asked frowning.

“I mean you need to make them think you’re going onto their side, but in reality, you’re working on your own angle.” Thomas said.

“And how would you suggest I do that?” Robert asked.

“By going after the Earl of Suffolk’s daughter.” Thomas said.

“Which one, he has four.” Robert replied.

“Frances Howard.” Thomas said.

“The Countess of Essex?!” Robert exclaimed. “Are you mad?”

“Not at all. I’m merely saying what I think the most reasonable choice is.” Thomas replied.

“Essex? Her husband will kill me. As will the Prince.” Robert said. Indeed, Robert wasn’t sure which one he feared more.

“Not if you play it right.” Thomas replied.

“And how exactly do I play this right?” Robert asked somewhat incredulously, had his friend gone mad?

“By starting off small.” Thomas said. “Talk to her, get to know her, offer to help her around at court. Then go in for the kill and make her fall for you.”

“Do you think it will be that easy?” Robert asked.

“I think after her husband, the Countess will jump at the first sign of attention.” Thomas said simply.

Robert took a breath and then said. “Fine, I will do it.” He just hoped this didn’t come back to bite him.

[1] Couldn’t help myself.

Last edited: