Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 270: Goodbyes

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 270: Goodbyes

March, 1637

Henry Sigismund, Duke of Essex and Fife took a deep breath. There was a lump forming in his throat that he was terrified was going to try and break free. Consequently, he took another deep breath and looked at his wife.

“You’ll say goodbye to the children for me?” He asked. The children were in London with the Queen, it being considered poor form to bring them to Portsmouth where the navy was preparing for an engagement the like it hadn’t seen since the Armada nearly fifty years before.

“I will.” Anna replied.

“And you will look after yourself?” He asked. He knew his wife; he knew she’d try and do everything and anything to keep her mind off of where he was.

“I will.” Anna said.

“Good.” Henry said.

“You just be safe.” Anna stated.

Henry smiled, his wife didn’t know it, but the way she’d said that reminded him exactly of what his mother had said before she’d left for London a few days’ ago.

The room was quiet, the Queen’s ladies were in the corner reading some pamphlet or the other. Henry had no time for pamphlets, half the time the author didn’t know what he was on about.

He stopped before his mother’s chair and bowed. “Your Majesty.”

His mother looked at him. “Henry.” She said softly.

A moment passed, then when Henry felt that it was right to do so, he said. “I know you are leaving for London today and that I won’t see you before I depart, so I thought I would come and say goodbye to you now.”

At a wave of his mother’s hand, Henry straightened to his full height. With his mother sitting down he towered over her.

“I know.” His mother replied softly. She exhaled then asked. “You are ready?”

He didn’t need to ask what she meant by that. Everyone knew what was happening. “As ready as I can be, Your Majesty.” He replied.

“You know where you are heading?” The Queen asked.

“I do, Majesty.” Henry said. He opened his mouth to name the place, but stopped when his mother shook her head. Something had changed over the last few days. The King seemed convinced that there might be a spy or spies from Madrid buried in the court, and as such everything to do with the war effort was being conducted with the greatest secrecy.

“Good.” The Queen said simply. “I must ask you something, something that I perhaps have no right to ask, given where it is you are going.”

Intrigued, Henry replied. “Ask, Your Majesty and if I can, I will do it.” He meant that. His mother was his mother, didn’t matter where he was going, if she asked something of him, he’d do his hardest to ensure it got done.

“Come back safe and come back alive.” The Queen said. “War is a dangerous thing, and I know you will do everything in your power to fight bravely and honourably, but come back alive.”

Henry swallowed. His mother was asking something of him that he couldn’t guarantee. Buti he also knew that refusing to say that he would, would be a betrayal, so he simply said. “I will do everything in my power to come home, Your Majesty.”

The Queen smiled, clearly satisfied. “Thank you.”

Henry blinked. “I will be as safe as I can be.”

Anna nodded, seemingly satisfied with that. “And don’t worry I’ll keep Marie Elisabeth company as well once Arthur goes.”

“Thank you.” Henry said, he knew his wife and sister-in-law didn’t see eye to eye, but that was reassuring. Arthur was currently inspecting some of the ships with the King, but he would depart later on, as part of an expeditionary force meant to land in Spain and harass the Spanish supply lines.

It was a dangerous undertaking but Arthur had volunteered to go the moment he’d learned that the King was commanding the expedition.

Henry exhaled, as he did that a bell rang out somewhere in the town, signalling that the time was upon them. “I’d better go.” He said looking at his wife.

Anna nodded. “Be safe.” Henry smiled then leaned forward and kissed her, memorising every detail of her face.

Chapter 271: Deliberation

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 271: Deliberation

August, 1637

“The British have taken Jamaica.” Ana Mauricia said.

Her husband, Ferdinand looked up. “What?!” This was big news, the British had been trying to take Jamaica since the war had begun between them and Spain, their first attempt had failed, as had their second attempt, it seemed the third had worked.

“King Philippe has written to me,” Ana said, she noticed the frown that crossed her husband’s face. “saying that the British navy sent a squadron as a diversion to Cuba, making the Admiral in charge think that that was where they were going. That squadron was defeated but by the time the Admiral realised what had happened, Jamaica had surrendered.”

Ferdinand exhaled. “So, what is Philippe planning on doing now?” Ana could tell by his tone that her husband wasn’t happy that his brother had written to her first rather than to him. Truth be told, Ana didn’t care. They needed news and they needed it quickly.

“He does not say.” Ana said. “What would you do in his position?”

Ferdinand exhaled, Ana knew her husband thought he was far more intelligent than his brother, and he was, if what he’d told her about the other man was any indication. But, being intelligent and being able to use that intelligence to effectively fight a war were two completely different things.

“I would hit British trade.” Ferdinand replied. “I’d engage with Britain’s trade partners, be it Denmark, Sweden, us, or France, engage with them and make them see how dangerous it is to trade with Britain. How more reliable I was than the man in London.”

“Would you attack British merchant shipping?” Ana asked, she knew from what her husband had told her that initially, his brother had used privateers to do that.

“I would consider it yes.” Ferdinand said.

“Consider it, but not commit?” Ana asked surprised.

“No, committing to it whilst negotiating with other parties would be madness.” Ferdinand said.

Ana nodded; she could see the sense in that she supposed. “And what about the privateers?” As far as she understood, those privateers were still being used.

“I’d abandon them. Pay them and then disband them. They are a liability.” Ferdinand said. “No sane monarch will agree to an alliance with someone using privateers.”

“Is that why you’ve been hesitating to agree to what the Spanish ambassador has asked for?” Ana asked referring to the proposed treaty that had come from Madrid.

“That and another thing.” Ferdinand replied.

“And what might that be?” Ana asked.

“If I agree to that treaty, I make us subject to Madrid’s diktat again.” Ferdinand said.

“How?” Ana asked, she’d read the wording of the treaty and she hadn’t gotten that impression.

“The trade stipulations would make them our main trading partner. Our military defence would be subject to their approval. Essentially we wouldn’t be able to move without their permission.” Ferdinand said.

“I didn’t get any of that when I looked through the treaty.” Ana said, and she’d looked through it fairly carefully.

“It was worded in a subtle way, a way that you’d only get if you know Philippe.” Ferdinand replied.

Ana frowned. “Are you sure?”

“I am.” Ferdinand said.

Ana wondered whether her husband actually was, or if he was more concerned with his brother and their rivalry, she didn’t say that though. Instead, she simply asked. “So, what do we do instead?” Family loyalty did dictate that they couldn’t just ignore a request for assistance.

“We wait, we see how things progress and then we act.” Ferdinand said.

“And the whole issue with Britain? Our trade with them?” Ana asked. She imagined that that would get very awkward should things progress.

“I am handling it.” Ferdinand said, in a manner that indicated that he didn’t want to talk about it.

Ana nodded. “Fine.” She didn’t agree with what he was thinking or what he’d said about his brother, but she was smart enough to know that trying to pursue something like that with him now would be a fool’s errand.

Ferdinand took her hand in his then and said. “We will get through this, I promise you.”

Ana nodded. She wasn’t sure she agreed with her husband, but she knew what he was trying to do and she appreciated that act more than anything else.

"Henry smiled then leaned forward and kissed her, memorising every detail of her face." - the warriors goodbye, so many times in so many places.

Ferdinand seems to be the more sensible one here.

And Britain has Jamaica- but can they hold it?

VVD0D95

Banned
"Henry smiled then leaned forward and kissed her, memorising every detail of her face." - the warriors goodbye, so many times in so many places.

Ferdinand seems to be the more sensible one here.

And Britain has Jamaica- but can they hold it?
Oh aye.

Oh? How so?

And I think they'll give as good as they can.

Ferdinand is not just giving in to Spain here, he's taking the pragmatic approach to see how things go and not letting them dominate his countries trade and military.

Chapter 272: Arguments

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 272: Arguments

March, 1638

“I’m telling you; we’d be foolish not to get involved.” Willem, Prince of Orange said.

“And I think that getting involved would be complete madness.” Catherine replied to her son.

“Why?” her son demanded.

“Because we have no basis for getting involved. There is no clear sign that the British or the French want our help, or that if we got involved anyone else in the Netherlands would join us.” Catherine said. And given how extensive her spy network was in their former home, she’d know if there was someone interested in helping.

“What about the letter from cousin Willem?” Her son demanded. “Do you think he’s lying.”

The letter that her son referred to came from Willem Frederick of Nassau-Dietz, the man and his father hadn’t fled when the rest of the Orangists had fled. But they also hadn’t remained out in the open. They’d remained on their estates or hid. The letter claimed there were those who wanted to overthrow the Habsburg monarchy and restore the Republic, with her son as Stadholder. But she’d heard nothing of the sort from her own spies.

“I think he is being misled.” Catherine said diplomatically.

“By who?” Her son demanded.

“Brussels.” She answered.

“Brussels?” Her son asked. “How would they even know that he’s writing to me?”

Catherine frowned at her son. He wasn’t that naïve; she had made sure of that.

“They want me to come back.” Willem said then.

“Exactly.” Catherine agreed. “They want you to come back and then they will put you on trial and have you executed.”

Willem sighed. “So, what am I supposed to do? I can’t just sit on the sidelines whilst Britain and France fight Spain.”

“That is exactly what you’re supposed to do.” Catherine said. Her son was too old now-26!- for her to tell him what he was going to do, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t imply it. “Let Britain and France fight Spain, and let the Netherlands remain painfully neutral. Let them weaken Madrid and then when the moment is right, strike.”

Willem raised an eyebrow. “What are you thinking?”

“The British have taken Jamaica and Trinidad, whilst the French have taken a town on the corner of Spanish America. The Spanish are expending great resources trying to retake those places. Sooner or later, they’re going to need to appeal to their cousins in Brussels for aid. Financial aid. That financial aid will come through taxes, high taxes. When the bill comes due do you think the people will be happy?” Catherine said.

Her son grinned. “Not at all. Especially not in Holland where it’s likely the majority of the taxes will come from.”

“Exactly, and when that moment comes, you will need to be prepared. For the people will look to you. You must let them come to you, with their cap in hand. Not the other way around.” Catherine said.

Her son looked excited, but he was too much her son to let it get away with him. “How long do you think that will take?” He asked.

“A year, maybe two.” Catherine said. “The Spanish will be delving deep into their treasury at the moment.” Wars that spanned continents are expensive after all.

Willem nodded, Catherine could see that her son still wanted to act, but the thought of actually hitting the Spanish where it hurt was slowly convincing him to do the right thing. “So, what do I do in the meantime?” He asked.

“You spend time with your wife and daughters.” Catherine said. She knew her son and his wife didn’t get along that well, but she also knew he loved his daughters. “And you make yourself useful to your uncle.” Gustav wanted to strengthen the army, and he wanted her son to help him.

“Will the King aid us do you think?” Willem asked.

Catherine frowned. She wasn’t sure. She was vaguely aware that her brother was trying to negotiate a Spanish alliance to get funds to wage another war with Denmark, sometime in the future. But whether he would abandon that if he could be persuaded of the benefits of his nephew sitting as ruler of the Dutch, she wasn’t sure. “With the right incentive.” Catherine answered. She’d work on her brother.

Willem nodded. “Then I will do as you suggest, Mother.”

Catherine smiled. “Thank you.” A crisis averted, for the time being.

Catherine frowned. She wasn’t sure. She was vaguely aware that her brother was trying to negotiate a Spanish alliance to get funds to wage another war with Denmark, sometime in the future. But whether he would abandon that if he could be persuaded of the benefits of his nephew sitting as ruler of the Dutch, she wasn’t sure. “With the right incentive.” Catherine answered. She’d work on her brother.
Goddamnit, Gustav, chill the heck out

Chapter 273: Heartbreak

VVD0D95

Banned

Chapter 273: Heartbreak

August, 1638

The coffin was carried in on the shoulders of men who had served with his son. They wore their uniform, their faces showed no strain, no emotion, the only thing that gave away the fact that this was a friend of theirs was the fact that their eyes occasionally glanced at his, as if seeking reassurance.

He didn’t know if he could give it to them. The only thing stopping him crying was Hedwig’s hand in his. The fact that she was squeezing his hand so hard that the only thing he had to focus on was not crying out. They were both grieving, they both felt responsible. They’d both agreed to send their son out to fight. They’d both agreed to give him what he wanted.

And now he came back in a coffin. His body broken into pieces by the force of a cannon ball. That was how their son had returned. Their brave boy who had challenged the dragon of Spain for his King.

The coffin was placed on the ground before the altar, and the Archbishop of St Andrews spoke.

“Your Highnesses, my lords and ladies. We are gathered here today, to commemorate the life of His Highness Prince James, Earl of Ross. A brave man who went to fight for his King and gave his life in the ultimate sacrifice.”

Charles closed his eyes, then opened them when he realised what message that might send to those present here.

The Archbishop continued. “His Highness was a brave man, a kind man, and someone we were all fortunate to know. Like our Lord and Saviour, he died for us, and made it so that we might live freely.”

Hedwig gasped beside him and he squeezed her hand tightly.

The Archbishop continued. “It is for us to remember that he did not die in vain. We must live good lives and live in memory of the sacrifice that His Highness made.”

Charles exhaled. His son had died, fighting the Spanish, Henry and Henry’s sons were still away fighting. The Queen was regent of the Kingdom, Charles had wanted to join the fight, but Henry had pointed out that the Spanish might attempt to stir up discontent in Scotland thus he was needed here. But that didn’t remove the pain he felt.

“I ask that His Highness the Duke of York and Albany come now and give us a few of his words.” The Archbishop said.

Charles let go of Hedwig’s hand, rose and walked to the Archbishop. He nodded his thanks to the man, then turned and faced the crowd.

Charles looked around the room, then focused on Hedwig and their children. They were in the front row.

“James,” he cleared his throat and spoke again. “Master’s Mate James Ross, was a young man who was filled with life. He was always asking questions and finding out the answers to those questions. He was a passionate young man who knew what he wanted and how to get it.”

Charles hesitated, wondering whether to give a personal story, he decided against that. These people had taken much from him already. He would keep the stories for himself and his family. “He was a kind man, who was always there make you laugh, or listen if there was a concern. He was a good older brother, always there with a piece of advice.”

Charles remembered the arguments his sons had had, and how they always made up. He remembered how James had gotten into a fight with some Laird’s son, because the boy had said something to Charles-his younger son-and how that had come after some blistering argument Charles and James had had.

He remembered James coming to him and asking him about girls, and how to be the best man he could be for them. He remembered arguing with his son about a proposed marriage.

He blinked back tears.

“My son was my heart and I and our family will miss him terribly. But he died doing his duty to the King and to God. He died fighting the Spanish enemy. I know he will rest easy.”

Charles stepped forward, touched his son’s coffin and then walked back to his wife and sat down. She took his hand in hers.

The Archbishop spoke then. “Your Highnesses, my lords and ladies, to lose a child is one of the greatest pains a parent can ever experience. But take comfort knowing that His Highness died fighting for his King and for the safety of the realm, against the old enemy. Take comfort knowing that he resides in heaven amongst our Lord and Saviour.”

The man bowed his head then, prompting Charles and everyone else in the chapel to do the same. “Our father, who art in heaven, we beg that you look out for His Highness Prince James, lead him to your light and to everlasting peace. We also ask that you look out for His Highness’ family, so that they might know peace.” Charles swallowed around the lump in his throat. “And finally, we ask that you deliver victory to His Majesty so that the people of this Kingdom may know peace and contentment. Amen.”

“Amen.”

Somewhere, an organ started to play, prompting Charles to rise, accompanied by his son and namesake. The walked to the coffin and bent down to pick it up alongside James’ companions. As the music played they slowly walked out of the chapel and toward the mausoleum where his son would rest for eternity. It was then that Charles allowed the tears to fall.

Poor Charles and Hedwig. Losing a child is something you never get over. Hopefully they can find some solace in each other
And now he came back in a coffin. His body broken into pieces by the force of a cannon ball. That was how their son had returned. Their brave boy who had challenged the dragon of Spain for his King.
I kinda feel that I’m to blame for this one too :coldsweat: I certainly got the random death and drama that I asked for

Heavy stuff. The loss of a child is not something from which people can easily move on, especially not one where James was already a man grown, close to having children of his own.

VVD0D95

Banned
Poor Charles and Hedwig. Losing a child is something you never get over. Hopefully they can find some solace in each other

I kinda feel that I’m to blame for this one too :coldsweat: I certainly got the random death and drama that I asked for
Oh they will abd lol
Heavy stuff. The loss of a child is not something from which people can easily move on, especially not one where James was already a man grown, close to having children of his own.
most definitely
Also, can we get a family tree for the family of Charles and Hedwig??
coming up :)

House of York and Albany

VVD0D95

Banned
Family tree as requested @pandizzy. If any of you have any suggestions for marriages for Charles' kids please feel free to recommend :)
House of York and Albany.jpg

“The British have taken Jamaica and Trinidad, whilst the French have taken a town on the corner of Spanish America" - nice work Britain. Is that town New Orleans?

Chill Willem, your moment will come.

RIP James - I wish your parents and siblings strength as losing a child, or brother is never easy.