Part 1 - The Alaskan Gold Rush of 1867

For most of the 19th century, the Russian Empire had been in decline. An old-fashioned, conservative absolutist monarchy with a vast colonial empire spanning both Europe and Asia, it suffered from political instability, a harsh, repressive government, and a backward and uneducated peasantry.

In addition, Alaska, the Russian Empire's only remaining overseas colony, seemed more of a burden than a benefit, as it was difficult to navigate, extremely underpopulated, and constantly under threat of British invasion through Canada (at least, the Russian Imperial government was constantly worrying about British invasion, the Brits actually had no interest in Alaska for the most part). It had many natural resources, but the Russians were largely unaware of the vast reserves of gold, oil, coal, and other resources that lay at their fingertips in Alaska. At least, they were until 1866...

On July 7th, 1866, Russian colonist Ivan Aleksandrovich Prerovsky* stumbled upon gold in an unnamed creek in the Alaskan wilderness. Little is known of Ivan, but that he lived on an isolated plot of land with a wife and no children. Although he lived far from the capitol of Russian America, Novo Archangelsk, he felt obligated to personally share the news of his discovery with the colonial governor of Russian America, Dmitry Petrovich Maksutov.

News of this discovery quickly spread through Russian America and into Russia, despite a distinct lack of infrastructure and small population. The news reached Saint Petersburg in early 1867, just as the Tsar was beginning to consider selling the territory and making it some other nation's problem. It is unknown whether the empire would have actually sold Alaska, but it has been an interesting, if under-explored, point of speculation by Russians and Americans alike.

The resulting boom caused migration on a previously unseen scale, as Russians of every class and occupation flocked to Alaska to strike it rich in the icy wasteland. Though the trip was hard, and many died, the colonist population of Alaska multiplied dramatically, from a few hundred to more than a hundred thousand, mostly composed of newly-emancipated serfs.

The migration, however, was not limited to Russians. Americans and Canadians, though they mostly stayed on the Canadian side of the border, did travel northwest into Russian territory, much to the initial dismay of the Alaskan colonial government.

This mass migration, of course, caused a great deal of conflict with the natives. In 1871, this escalated into a brief conflict which would become known as the Russo-Indian war. During this time, tensions escalated between Russia and America due to (not entirely unjustified) fears of American merchants selling guns to natives. The war resulted in a much greater Russian military presence in Alaska (which in turn resulted in further Russian migration to Alaska) and a crackdown on the native populations.

However, though revenue continued to flow to the empire from the newly discovered resources (gold in particular) in Alaska, the colonization craze had died down by 1872, and the world slowly lost interest in Alaska. Well, for the most part...

The next few decades of Alaskan history are uneventful, and mostly constitute of the growth of the Russian population, decline of the native population, trickle of revenue to Russia, and gradual growth of Canadian and American minorities within Alaskan borders, although it is worth noting that the Canadian minority population, initially larger than their American counterparts, had by far the roughest of luck, grew much slower than the Americans, and actually found themselves in stasis or even decline at several points in the intervening decades.

However, with the turn of the century, Alaska would become rather more of interest to the rest of the world once again...

Edit: * after a character's name indicates that, to the best of my knowledge, this character is fictional. You will see a few of these, mostly attached to minor characters.

Last edited:
Given that ethnically Alaska starts out firmly in the hands of people of Russian descent ITTL, can we expect to see what in the 20th century would be known as the US's homegrown variety of Russians to end up in a far better starting position than other people of the same ethnicity emigrating from the Russian homeland directly?

Given that ethnically Alaska starts out firmly in the hands of people of Russian descent ITTL, can we expect to see what in the 20th century would be known as the US's homegrown variety of Russians to end up in a far better starting position than other people of the same ethnicity emigrating from the Russian homeland directly?

Probably, yes.

Oh, this will be interesting; methinks the US will get Alaska after TTL's Russo-Japanese War, if only to prevent the Japanese from getting it...

Another PoD: Lewis Paine kills Seward the same night Lincoln is shot...

Good TL; will be watching...

Last edited:
That's good. Since by the time the US would manage to annex Alaska the local Russians are going to have a firm grip on the 49th State's cash cow, I would find it unlikely for them to end up being treated like the average turn of the century Russian immigrant.

An average Russian emigrant in 1880-1910 was a Jew (80% out of total 2.5M people) while most of these alt-Alaskians would be anything but. :)

Um, I literally named the TL Alaska: the United States' Little Russia
But so far it did not became a part of the US within realistic time frame and it is extremely unlikely that this wold happen at least until after the Russian revolution (which is also unlikely). Basically, your scenario (so far) is “how Alaska is not going to become a part of the US”

Perhaps the US can make intervene in Alaska following the Russian Revolution. In the start Alaska may be nominally independant, then a territory of the USA and finally become a state in it's own right. Or maybe it can become a territory or a state immediately following US intervention.

Well, interesting idea, but some points to make.

First, Russians sought to sell well before 1867; I shall check, but 1859 is my memory of the first approach made by de Stoeckl. However, the first entreaties were met with no much interest and the civil war happened. Actually, there wasn't that much people willing to see the purchase proceeding. Tsar Alexander II had given a reluctant approval to the negotiation by de Stoeckl with both von Reutern (finance minister) and Gorchakov (foreign minister) expressing doubts at one point or another, while on the American side, the sale would happen only because of the sheer will of Seward (that was Seward's folly after all). My own TL for instance just go as far as removing Seward from the scene to put an end to this sale.

As to the gold fever, I think it's a bit overestimated and exagerated by comparison to previous Russian history. The very conquest and colonization of Siberia was the consequence of a "fur rush" with people coming from across Russia (in Europe) to make fortune in the lands of Siberia by hunting these furs that were valued more than gold in the courts of western Europe. So, in matter of rushes, the Russian state wasn't that inexperienced.

On the relations with the natives, aside of early incidents (including the battle of Sitka), the whole period was marked by relatively peaceful rule by Russians. Continuing on their subjugation of Siberia, I guess there was kind of the same mentality for Russia to consider the native tribes as "tributaries" or vassals of sorts, hence Russian subjects anyway, but to treat with respect. I've not read the book of Eric Hoesli (L'épopéé Sibérienne : La Russie à la conquête de la Sibérie et du Grand Nord [The Siberian Epopee : Russia at the conquest of Siberia and the Great North]) as far as the chapters over Alaska, but the point is made clear about Russian strict legal protections for native subjects from the beginning against settlers and hunters even though abuses happened.
Also, another factor to consider, and a key one, is the role of the Orthodox Church. As through the conquest of Siberia, the brief Russian colonization of Alaska was marked by important missionary activity. In many if not most instances, the Orthodox missionaries were the only intermediary between the natives and the colonial authorities.
By contrast to later protestant missions after the American takeover, the Orthodox missions still following the pattern set in Siberia centuries before, worked to assimilate the local culture into the cult practice, translated into local language the sacred texts, and else. A mark of that can still be found today in the relative strength of the Orthodox Church among Alaska natives.
That man's bio should be telling clear enough what I mean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocent_of_Alaska

As for the POD itself, I guess you're speaking of an earlier Juneau mini gold rush (the bigger gold deposits on the beaches of Nome were quite too far from any Russian settlement by then to attract notice by then). But I'm a bit skeptical it would attract so many people as you say. Nome and the Klondike did, but Juneau was a short lived one in comparison.
Plus, any move by Russian settlers from across Russia would probably have to be state sponsored to make the trip possible (unlike the US, there is no yet any railway to go from European Russia to the Pacific Ocean and the Transsiberian railway will not open before the 1890s.
Plus, you'd have to account that Alaska had little in way to support a huge population with next to no agricultural land of value and much to import from Canada and the United States actually.

Well, interesting idea, but some points to make.

First, Russians sought to sell well before 1867; I shall check, but 1859 is my memory of the first approach made by de Stoeckl. However, the first entreaties were met with no much interest and the civil war happened. Actually, there wasn't that much people willing to see the purchase proceeding. Tsar Alexander II had given a reluctant approval to the negotiation by de Stoeckl with both von Reutern (finance minister) and Gorchakov (foreign minister) expressing doubts at one point or another, while on the American side, the sale would happen only because of the sheer will of Seward (that was Seward's folly after all). My own TL for instance just go as far as removing Seward from the scene to put an end to this sale.

As to the gold fever, I think it's a bit overestimated and exagerated by comparison to previous Russian history. The very conquest and colonization of Siberia was the consequence of a "fur rush" with people coming from across Russia (in Europe) to make fortune in the lands of Siberia by hunting these furs that were valued more than gold in the courts of western Europe. So, in matter of rushes, the Russian state wasn't that inexperienced.

On the relations with the natives, aside of early incidents (including the battle of Sitka), the whole period was marked by relatively peaceful rule by Russians. Continuing on their subjugation of Siberia, I guess there was kind of the same mentality for Russia to consider the native tribes as "tributaries" or vassals of sorts, hence Russian subjects anyway, but to treat with respect. I've not read the book of Eric Hoesli (L'épopéé Sibérienne : La Russie à la conquête de la Sibérie et du Grand Nord [The Siberian Epopee : Russia at the conquest of Siberia and the Great North]) as far as the chapters over Alaska, but the point is made clear about Russian strict legal protections for native subjects from the beginning against settlers and hunters even though abuses happened.
Also, another factor to consider, and a key one, is the role of the Orthodox Church. As through the conquest of Siberia, the brief Russian colonization of Alaska was marked by important missionary activity. In many if not most instances, the Orthodox missionaries were the only intermediary between the natives and the colonial authorities.
By contrast to later protestant missions after the American takeover, the Orthodox missions still following the pattern set in Siberia centuries before, worked to assimilate the local culture into the cult practice, translated into local language the sacred texts, and else. A mark of that can still be found today in the relative strength of the Orthodox Church among Alaska natives.
That man's bio should be telling clear enough what I mean:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Innocent_of_Alaska

As for the POD itself, I guess you're speaking of an earlier Juneau mini gold rush (the bigger gold deposits on the beaches of Nome were quite too far from any Russian settlement by then to attract notice by then). But I'm a bit skeptical it would attract so many people as you say. Nome and the Klondike did, but Juneau was a short lived one in comparison.
Plus, any move by Russian settlers from across Russia would probably have to be state sponsored to make the trip possible (unlike the US, there is no yet any railway to go from European Russia to the Pacific Ocean and the Transsiberian railway will not open before the 1890s.
Plus, you'd have to account that Alaska had little in way to support a huge population with next to no agricultural land of value and much to import from Canada and the United States actually.

1) I did not know that, and apologize for the inconsistency. Thank you.
2) I sort of knew that, but I still figured the native population wouldn't take kindly to immigration from Russia on the massive scale that happened TTL...
3) That's very interesting, I'll see what I can do with that little bit of information! Perhaps, though the native population is slightly smaller than TTL, their culture is better preserved...
4) I did not have any specific deposit in mind, but I'm kind of playing a tiny bit fast and lose with the TL already, so the numbers were exaggerated a bit. Also, digging for gold might uncover other valuable natural resources.
5) I didn't think about that, thanks for mentioning it! I will incorporate this into the TL in future parts!

Overall, thank you for the extra information on Alaska and Russian America as a whole! It was very useful and interesting!