AHC/WI Arian Christianity Survives in the Iberian Peninsula

How could Arian Christianity survive into the high middle ages (at least) and what would be the resulting impact on Christianity, geopolitics, and culture? How would Arian Christianity look like into the modern age? How would it impact and interact with the various Catholic heretical movements? How would it impact and interact with Henry VIII's and Luther's antics? Would Columbus still go to the Arian counterpart of OTL's Isabella and Ferdinand for trade? WOuld the Catholic Church make peace with them because they pushed back the Muslims (You know, like a "better the devil you know" or "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" or "the lesser of two 'evils'" kinda thing).

In my mind I am wondering how would you get Arianism to be more popular to the Romans under the Visigoths. If they manage to convert a majority of them, and thrive under Muslim rule...and still launch a "reconquista"...would they get help from the Pope? The Popes were willing to help Byzantium in the hopes of reconciling with the Eastern Orthodox Church, maybe they'd hope some sort of similar scheme with the Arian Christian "Church"?

So many questions.......I have cookies if you are willing to discuss this and provide information :D

Also, has anyone made a timeline of something like this?

Philip

Donor
How would Arian Christianity look like into the modern age? How would it impact and interact with the various Catholic heretical movements? How would it impact and interact with Henry VIII's and Luther's antics?

Oh, the poor butterflies. So many gone before their time.

In my mind I am wondering how would you get Arianism to be more popular to the Romans under the Visigoths.

I don't think you can. Maybe slowly over 1000 years. The Nicene Christians have a strong, organised foundation in Iberia. The small visigoth population will have a hard time countering it. There is also the question of whether or not the Visigoths want to convert the Romans or if they want to maintain a separation between themselves and their subjects.

Lusitania

Donor
The major issue with any Christian group in the Iberian peninsula would be the time period after the Arab conquest of 80% of the peninsula. From mid 700 to late 1400 parts of the Iberian peninsula were under Muslim control.

Oh, the poor butterflies. So many gone before their time.
They had it coming!!!

I don't think you can. Maybe slowly over 1000 years. The Nicene Christians have a strong, organised foundation in Iberia. The small visigoth population will have a hard time countering it. There is also the question of whether or not the Visigoths want to convert the Romans or if they want to maintain a separation between themselves and their subjects.

Is there a possible POD that could shake those foundations enough? There were some Roman converts to a small degree.

The major issue with any Christian group in the Iberian peninsula would be the time period after the Arab conquest of 80% of the peninsula. From mid 700 to late 1400 parts of the Iberian peninsula were under Muslim control.

Christians did live in Muslim Spain so I'd imagine Arian Christians would do the same. One thing I've played around in my mind with was maybe Muslim rulers favor Arians over Niceans? As to how we get more Arians in Iberia for it to last long enough for this to happen...I don't know. That's where I am really stumped.